Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RIM15
Description: protein kinase RIM15
Alias: TAK1, protein kinase RIM15
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Pan Y, Schroeder E, Ocampo A, Barrientos A, Shadel G. Regulation of yeast chronological life span by TORC1 via adaptive mitochondrial ROS signaling. Cell Metab. 2011;13:668-78 pubmed publisher..Considering the conservation of TOR-pathway effects on life span, mitochondrial ROS signaling may be an important mechanism of longevity regulation in higher organisms. ..
- Reinders A, Bürckert N, Boller T, Wiemken A, De Virgilio C. Saccharomyces cerevisiae cAMP-dependent protein kinase controls entry into stationary phase through the Rim15p protein kinase. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2943-55 pubmed..Accordingly, deletion of RIM15 suppresses the growth defect of a temperature-sensitive adenylate-cyclase mutant and, most importantly, renders ..
- Juanes M, Khoueiry R, Kupka T, Castro A, Mudrak I, Ogris E, et al. Budding yeast greatwall and endosulfines control activity and spatial regulation of PP2A(Cdc55) for timely mitotic progression. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003575 pubmed publisher..budding yeast endosulfines (Igo1 and Igo2) bind to PP2A(Cdc55) in a cell cycle-regulated manner upon Greatwall (Rim15)-dependent phosphorylation...
- Nakashima A, Maruki Y, Imamura Y, Kondo C, Kawamata T, Kawanishi I, et al. The yeast Tor signaling pathway is involved in G2/M transition via polo-kinase. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2223 pubmed publisher..The C-terminal polo-box domain of Cdc5 has an inhibitory role in nuclear translocation. Taken together, our results indicate a novel function of Tor in the regulation of cell cycle and proliferation. ..
- Moreno Torres M, Jaquenoud M, De Virgilio C. TORC1 controls G1-S cell cycle transition in yeast via Mpk1 and the greatwall kinase pathway. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8256 pubmed publisher..Thus, Mpk1 and the greatwall kinase pathway serve TORC1 to coordinate the phosphorylation status of Sic1 and consequently START with nutrient availability. ..
- Bartholomew C, Suzuki T, Du Z, Backues S, Jin M, Lynch Day M, et al. Ume6 transcription factor is part of a signaling cascade that regulates autophagy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:11206-10 pubmed publisher..A similar regulatory mechanism is present in mammalian cells, indicating that this process is highly conserved. ..
- Wei M, Fabrizio P, Hu J, Ge H, Cheng C, Li L, et al. Life span extension by calorie restriction depends on Rim15 and transcription factors downstream of Ras/PKA, Tor, and Sch9. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e13 pubmed publisher..In this study, we demonstrate that the serine/threonine kinase Rim15 is required for yeast chronological life span extension caused by deficiencies in Ras2, Tor1, and Sch9, and by ..
- Imazu H, Sakurai H. Saccharomyces cerevisiae heat shock transcription factor regulates cell wall remodeling in response to heat shock. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1050-6 pubmed..The RIM15 gene, encoding a protein kinase that is negatively regulated by the cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase, was ..
- Sarkar S, Dalgaard J, Millar J, Arumugam P. The Rim15-endosulfine-PP2ACdc55 signalling module regulates entry into gametogenesis and quiescence via distinct mechanisms in budding yeast. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004456 pubmed publisher..We report here that an analogous signalling module consisting of the serine-threonine kinase Rim15, the Endosulfines Igo1 and Igo2 and the Protein Phosphatase PP2ACdc55, regulates entry into both quiescence and ..
- Talarek N, Gueydon E, Schwob E. Homeostatic control of START through negative feedback between Cln3-Cdk1 and Rim15/Greatwall kinase in budding yeast. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..We show that the yeast Rim15-Igo1,2 pathway, orthologous to Gwl-Arpp19/ENSA, is up-regulated in early G1 and helps promoting START by ..
- Watanabe D, Takagi H. Pleiotropic functions of the yeast Greatwall-family protein kinase Rim15p: a novel target for the control of alcoholic fermentation. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1061-1068 pubmed publisher..Our finding of an in vivo metabolic regulatory mechanism is expected to provide a major breakthrough in yeast breeding technologies for fermentation applications. ..
- Bohovych I, Kastora S, Christianson S, Topil D, Kim H, Fangman T, et al. Oma1 Links Mitochondrial Protein Quality Control and TOR Signaling To Modulate Physiological Plasticity and Cellular Stress Responses. Mol Cell Biol. 2016;36:2300-12 pubmed publisher..production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) during logarithmic growth and reduced stress signaling via the TORC1-Rim15-Msn2/Msn4 axis...
- Kessi PÃ©rez E, Araos S, GarcÃa V, Salinas F, Abarca V, Larrondo L, et al. RIM15 antagonistic pleiotropy is responsible for differences in fermentation and stress response kinetics in budding yeast. FEMS Yeast Res. 2016;16: pubmed publisher..Analysis around this region identified RIM15 as the causative locus driving fungicide sensitivity, together with efficient nitrogen utilization and glycerol ..
- Ibstedt S, Stenberg S, BagÃ©s S, Gjuvsland A, Salinas F, Kourtchenko O, et al. Concerted evolution of life stage performances signals recent selection on yeast nitrogen use. Mol Biol Evol. 2015;32:153-61 pubmed publisher..We further traced QTLs down to single-nucleotide resolution and uncovered loss-of-function mutations in RIM15, PUT4, DAL1, and DAL4 as the genetic basis for nitrogen source use variations...
- Reddi A, Culotta V. Regulation of manganese antioxidants by nutrient sensing pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2011;189:1261-70 pubmed publisher..Our observed roles for nutrient and stress response kinases and transcription factors in regulating the Mn antioxidant underscore its physiological importance in aerobic fitness. ..
- Talarek N, Bontron S, De Virgilio C. Quantification of mRNA stability of stress-responsive yeast genes following conditional excision of open reading frames. RNA Biol. 2013;10:1299-308 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that TORC1 controls the stability of these mRNAs via the Rim15-Igo1/2-PP2A(Cdc55) effector branch, which reportedly also controls Gis1 promoter recruitment...
- Yang Z, Geng J, Yen W, Wang K, Klionsky D. Positive or negative roles of different cyclin-dependent kinase Pho85-cyclin complexes orchestrate induction of autophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell. 2010;38:250-64 pubmed publisher..When complexed with cyclins Pho80 and Pcl5, Pho85 negatively regulates autophagy through downregulating the protein kinase Rim15 and the transcription factors Pho4 and Gcn4...
- Cao L, Tang Y, Quan Z, Zhang Z, Oliver S, Zhang N. Chronological Lifespan in Yeast Is Dependent on the Accumulation of Storage Carbohydrates Mediated by Yak1, Mck1 and Rim15 Kinases. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006458 pubmed publisher..Apart from the previously characterised Rim15, Mck1 and Yak1 kinases, the SNF1/AMPK complex, the cell wall integrity pathway and a number of cell cycle ..
- Watanabe D, Kaneko A, Sugimoto Y, Ohnuki S, Takagi H, Ohya Y. Promoter engineering of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RIM15 gene for improvement of alcoholic fermentation rates under stress conditions. J Biosci Bioeng. 2017;123:183-189 pubmed publisherA loss-of-function mutation in the RIM15 gene, which encodes a Greatwall-like protein kinase, is one of the major causes of the high alcoholic fermentation rates in Saccharomyces cerevisiae sake strains closely related to Kyokai no...
- Oomuro M, Kato T, Zhou Y, Watanabe D, Motoyama Y, Yamagishi H, et al. Defective quiescence entry promotes the fermentation performance of bottom-fermenting brewer's yeast. J Biosci Bioeng. 2016;122:577-582 pubmed publisher..two types of mutant of the bottom-fermenting brewer's yeast Saccharomyces pastorianus Weihenstephan 34/70: a RIM15 gene disruptant that was defective in entry into G0; and a CLN3?PEST mutant, in which the G1 ..
- Swinnen E, Rosseels J, Winderickx J. The minimum domain of Pho81 is not sufficient to control the Pho85-Rim15 effector branch involved in phosphate starvation-induced stress responses. Curr Genet. 2005;48:18-33 pubmed..parallel to the fermentable growth medium- or Sch9-controlled pathway and that both pathways may share the protein kinase Rim15, which was previously reported to play a central role in the integration of glucose, nitrogen and amino ..
- Lenssen E, Oberholzer U, Labarre J, De Virgilio C, Collart M. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ccr4-not complex contributes to the control of Msn2p-dependent transcription by the Ras/cAMP pathway. Mol Microbiol. 2002;43:1023-37 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that the Ccr4-Not complex may function as an effector of the Ras/cAMP pathway that contributes to repress basal, stress- and starvation-induced transcription by Msn2/4p. ..
- Millson S, van Oosten Hawle P, Alkuriji M, Truman A, Siderius M, Piper P. Cdc37 engages in stable, S14A mutation-reinforced association with the most atypical member of the yeast kinome, Cdk-activating kinase (Cak1). Cell Stress Chaperones. 2014;19:695-703 pubmed publisher..Thus, this is the first Cdc37 client kinase found to be excluded from S14 phosphorylation-dependent interaction. The unusual stability of this Cak1:Cdc37 association may partly reflect unique structural features of the fungal Cak1. ..
- Lee P, Kim M, Paik S, Choi S, Cho B, Hahn J. Rim15-dependent activation of Hsf1 and Msn2/4 transcription factors by direct phosphorylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:3648-55 pubmed publisherb>Rim15 kinase, a downstream effector of PKA and TORC1 signaling pathways, initiates the quiescent program upon nutrient starvation via induction of genes whose expression depends on transcription factors Msn2, Msn4, and Gis1...
- Bernard A, Jin M, GonzÃ¡lez RodrÃguez P, FÃ¼llgrabe J, Delorme Axford E, Backues S, et al. Rph1/KDM4 mediates nutrient-limitation signaling that leads to the transcriptional induction of autophagy. Curr Biol. 2015;25:546-55 pubmed publisher..Rph1 is a histone demethylase protein, butÂ it regulates autophagy independently of its demethylase activity. Rim15 mediates the phosphorylation of Rph1 upon nitrogen starvation, which causes an inhibition of its function...
- Burtner C, Murakami C, Kennedy B, Kaeberlein M. A molecular mechanism of chronological aging in yeast. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:1256-70 pubmed..We conclude that acetic acid induced mortality is the primary mechanism of chronological aging in yeast under standard conditions. ..
- Deminoff S, Howard S, Hester A, Warner S, Herman P. Using substrate-binding variants of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase to identify novel targets and a kinase domain important for substrate interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;173:1909-17 pubmed..Moreover, the high conservation of the residues altered and, in particular, the invariant nature of the R324 position suggest that this approach might be generally applicable to other protein kinases. ..
- Quan Z, Cao L, Tang Y, Yan Y, Oliver S, Zhang N. The Yeast GSK-3 Homologue Mck1 Is a Key Controller of Quiescence Entry and Chronological Lifespan. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005282 pubmed publisher..we identify the yeast GSK-3 homologue Mck1 as a key regulator of G0 entry and reveal that Mck1 acts in parallel to Rim15 to activate starvation-induced gene expression, the acquisition of stress resistance, the accumulation of storage ..
- Weinberger M, Feng L, Paul A, Smith D, Hontz R, Smith J, et al. DNA replication stress is a determinant of chronological lifespan in budding yeast. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e748 pubmed..Replication stress also likely impacts the longevity of higher eukaryotes, including humans. ..
- Waliullah T, Yeasmin A, Kaneko A, Koike N, Terasawa M, Totsuka T, et al. Rim15 and Sch9 kinases are involved in induction of autophagic degradation of ribosomes in budding yeast. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:307-310 pubmed publisher..b>Rim15 protein kinase upregulated ribophagy, while it downregulated non-selective degradation of ribosomes.
- Phan V, Ding V, Li F, Chalkley R, Burlingame A, McCormick F. The RasGAP proteins Ira2 and neurofibromin are negatively regulated by Gpb1 in yeast and ETEA in humans. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:2264-79 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence for conserved ubiquitination pathways regulating the RasGAP proteins Ira2 (in yeast) and neurofibromin (in humans). ..
- Liu Y, Liu N, Wu D, Bi Q, Meng S. The longevity of tor1Î”, sch9Î”, and ras2Î” mutants depends on actin dynamics in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell Biosci. 2015;5:18 pubmed publisher..we found that the actin cytoskeleton of the long-lived mutant sch9Î”, depended on the transcription factors RIM15 and MSN2/4, but not GIS1, while the actin skeleton of the tor1Î” and ras2Î” mutants depended on RIM15 as ..
- Bisschops M, Zwartjens P, Keuter S, Pronk J, Daran Lapujade P. To divide or not to divide: a key role of Rim15 in calorie-restricted yeast cultures. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:1020-30 pubmed publisherThe PAS kinase Rim15 is proposed to integrate signals from different nutrient-sensing pathways and to control transcriptional reprogramming of Saccharomyces cerevisiae upon nutrient depletion...
- Zhang N, Quan Z, Rash B, Oliver S. Synergistic effects of TOR and proteasome pathways on the yeast transcriptome and cell growth. Open Biol. 2013;3:120137 pubmed publisher..Genetic analysis demonstrates that TORC1 negatively regulates both the Yak1 and Rim15 kinases to modulate starvation-specific gene expression mediated by the Msn2/4 and Gis1 transcription factors...