Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: REC8
Alias: SPO69, Rec8p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Lin W, Wang M, Jin H, Yu H. Cohesin plays a dual role in gene regulation and sister-chromatid cohesion during meiosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2011;187:1041-51 pubmed publisher..report that the cohesin subunits Scc3 and Smc1 are both required for the production of the meiosis-specific subunit Rec8 in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Brar G, Hochwagen A, Ee L, Amon A. The multiple roles of cohesin in meiotic chromosome morphogenesis and pairing. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1030-47 pubmed publisher..Using mutants in the cohesin subunit Rec8, in which phosphorylated residues were mutated to alanines, we show that cohesin phosphorylation is not only ..
- Yoon S, Lee M, Xaver M, Zhang L, Hong S, Kong Y, et al. Meiotic prophase roles of Rec8 in crossover recombination and chromosome structure. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:9296-9314 pubmedb>Rec8 is a prominent component of the meiotic prophase chromosome axis that mediates sister chromatid cohesion, homologous recombination and chromosome synapsis. Here, we explore the prophase roles of Rec8...
- Bizzari F, Marston A. Cdc55 coordinates spindle assembly and chromosome disjunction during meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1213-28 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Cdc55 orders passage through the meiotic divisions by ensuring a balance of phosphatases. ..
- Zierhut C, Berlinger M, Rupp C, Shinohara A, Klein F. Mnd1 is required for meiotic interhomolog repair. Curr Biol. 2004;14:752-62 pubmed..The presence of Rec8, Red1, or Hop1 renders Mnd1 indispensable for DNA repair, presumably through the establishment of interhomolog (IH) ..
- Cha R, Weiner B, Keeney S, Dekker J, Kleckner N. Progression of meiotic DNA replication is modulated by interchromosomal interaction proteins, negatively by Spo11p and positively by Rec8p. Genes Dev. 2000;14:493-503 pubmed..Deletion of the SPO11 gene decreases the length of S phase by approximately 25%. Rec8p is a key coordinator of meiotic interhomolog and intersister interactions...
- Chuong H, Dawson D. Meiotic cohesin promotes pairing of nonhomologous centromeres in early meiotic prophase. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1799-809 pubmed publisher..However, the meiotic cohesin Rec8p is required for centromere coupling...
- Kugou K, Fukuda T, Yamada S, Ito M, Sasanuma H, Mori S, et al. Rec8 guides canonical Spo11 distribution along yeast meiotic chromosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3064-76 pubmed publisher..The meiotic cohesin Rec8 has been implicated in regulating DSB formation, but little is known about the features of their interplay...
- Sommermeyer V, Béneut C, Chaplais E, Serrentino M, Borde V. Spp1, a member of the Set1 Complex, promotes meiotic DSB formation in promoters by tethering histone H3K4 methylation sites to chromosome axes. Mol Cell. 2013;49:43-54 pubmed publisher..This paper provides the molecular mechanism linking DSB sequences to chromosome axes and explains why H3K4 methylation is important for meiotic recombination. ..
- Gruber S, Haering C, Nasmyth K. Chromosomal cohesin forms a ring. Cell. 2003;112:765-77 pubmed..Cleavage of the Smc3 coiled coil is sufficient to trigger cohesin release from chromosomes and loss of sister cohesion, consistent with a topological association with chromatin. ..
- Sun X, Huang L, Markowitz T, Blitzblau H, Chen D, Klein F, et al. Transcription dynamically patterns the meiotic chromosome-axis interface. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..We propose that such robust but flexible tethering allows the axial element to promote recombination while easily adapting to changes in chromosome activity. ..
- Katis V, Lipp J, Imre R, Bogdanova A, Okaz E, Habermann B, et al. Rec8 phosphorylation by casein kinase 1 and Cdc7-Dbf4 kinase regulates cohesin cleavage by separase during meiosis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:397-409 pubmed publisher..and chiasmata holding bivalent chromosomes together are resolved by cleavage of cohesin's alpha-kleisin subunit (Rec8) along chromosome arms...