Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PRT1
Description: translation initiation factor eIF3 core subunit b
Alias: CDC63, DNA26, translation initiation factor eIF3 core subunit b
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- VALASEK L, Phan L, Schoenfeld L, Valášková V, Hinnebusch A. Related eIF3 subunits TIF32 and HCR1 interact with an RNA recognition motif in PRT1 required for eIF3 integrity and ribosome binding. EMBO J. 2001;20:891-904 pubmed..The RNA recognition motif (RRM) of eIF3 subunit PRT1 interacted simultaneously with HCR1 and with an internal domain of eIF3 subunit TIF32 that has sequence and ..
- VALASEK L, Mathew A, Shin B, Nielsen K, Szamecz B, Hinnebusch A. The yeast eIF3 subunits TIF32/a, NIP1/c, and eIF5 make critical connections with the 40S ribosome in vivo. Genes Dev. 2003;17:786-99 pubmed
- Grousl T, Ivanov P, Frýdlová I, Vasicová P, Janda F, Vojtova J, et al. Robust heat shock induces eIF2alpha-phosphorylation-independent assembly of stress granules containing eIF3 and 40S ribosomal subunits in budding yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2078-88 pubmed publisher..We conclude that under specific stress conditions, such as robust heat shock, yeast SGs do contain eIF3 and 40S ribosomes and utilize alternative routes for their assembly. ..
- Asano K, Clayton J, Shalev A, Hinnebusch A. A multifactor complex of eukaryotic initiation factors, eIF1, eIF2, eIF3, eIF5, and initiator tRNA(Met) is an important translation initiation intermediate in vivo. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2534-46 pubmed..We propose that the multifactor complex is an important intermediate in translation initiation in vivo. ..
- Phan L, Schoenfeld L, VALASEK L, Nielsen K, Hinnebusch A. A subcomplex of three eIF3 subunits binds eIF1 and eIF5 and stimulates ribosome binding of mRNA and tRNA(i)Met. EMBO J. 2001;20:2954-65 pubmedYeast translation initiation factor 3 contains five core subunits (known as TIF32, PRT1, NIP1, TIF34 and TIF35) and a less tightly associated component known as HCR1...
- VALASEK L, Nielsen K, Hinnebusch A. Direct eIF2-eIF3 contact in the multifactor complex is important for translation initiation in vivo. EMBO J. 2002;21:5886-98 pubmed..Here we incorporated affinity tags into the three largest eIF3 subunits (eIF3a/TIF32, eIF3b/PRT1 and eIF3c/NIP1) and deleted predicted binding domains in each tagged protein...
- Vornlocher H, Hanachi P, Ribeiro S, Hershey J. A 110-kilodalton subunit of translation initiation factor eIF3 and an associated 135-kilodalton protein are encoded by the Saccharomyces cerevisiae TIF32 and TIF31 genes. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:16802-12 pubmed..Our results, together with those from other laboratories, complete the cloning and characterization of all of the yeast eIF3 subunits. ..
- Bolger T, Folkmann A, Tran E, Wente S. The mRNA export factor Gle1 and inositol hexakisphosphate regulate distinct stages of translation. Cell. 2008;134:624-33 pubmed publisher..However, Gle1 also independently mediates initiation. Thus, Gle1 is uniquely positioned to coordinate the mRNA export and translation mechanisms. These results directly impact models for perturbation of Gle1 function in pathophysiology. ..
- Singh C, Watanabe R, Zhou D, Jennings M, Fukao A, Lee B, et al. Mechanisms of translational regulation by a human eIF5-mimic protein. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:8314-28 pubmed publisher..Moreover, 5MP1 is not a GEF but a weak GDI for yeast eIF2. We propose that 5MP1 is a partial mimic and competitor of eIF5, interfering with the key steps by which eIF5 regulates eIF2 function. ..
- Shalev A, VALASEK L, Pise Masison C, Radonovich M, Phan L, Clayton J, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein Pci8p and human protein eIF3e/Int-6 interact with the eIF3 core complex by binding to cognate eIF3b subunits. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:34948-57 pubmed..We discuss possible dual functions of Pci8p and Int-6 in transcriptional and translational control. ..
- Naranda T, MacMillan S, Donahue T, Hershey J. SUI1/p16 is required for the activity of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2307-13 pubmed..immunoprecipitate all of the subunits of eIF3, whereas antisera against the eIF3 complex and the individual PRT1 and GCD10 subunits of eIF3 immunoprecipitate SUI1...
- Verlhac M, Chen R, Hanachi P, Hershey J, Derynck R. Identification of partners of TIF34, a component of the yeast eIF3 complex, required for cell proliferation and translation initiation. EMBO J. 1997;16:6812-22 pubmed..By two-hybrid screening we have identified two partners that directly associate with TIF34: PRT1, a previously characterized eIF3 subunit, and a novel protein of 33 kDa (eIF3-p33) which is part of the eIF3 ..
- Greenberg J, Phan L, Gu Z, DeSilva A, Apolito C, Sherman F, et al. Nip1p associates with 40 S ribosomes and the Prt1p subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 3 and is required for efficient translation initiation. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:23485-94 pubmed..Also, nip1-1 mutant cells are hypersensitive to paromomycin. These results suggest that Nip1p is a subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 3 required for efficient translation initiation. ..
- Olsen D, Savner E, Mathew A, Zhang F, Krishnamoorthy T, Phan L, et al. Domains of eIF1A that mediate binding to eIF2, eIF3 and eIF5B and promote ternary complex recruitment in vivo. EMBO J. 2003;22:193-204 pubmed..We propose a modular organization for eIF1A wherein a core ribosome-binding domain is flanked by flexible segments that mediate interactions with other factors involved in recruitment of TC and release of eIF1A at subunit joining. ..
- Phan L, Zhang X, Asano K, Anderson J, Vornlocher H, Greenberg J, et al. Identification of a translation initiation factor 3 (eIF3) core complex, conserved in yeast and mammals, that interacts with eIF5. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4935-46 pubmed..The purified complex could rescue Met-tRNAiMet binding to 40S ribosomes in defective extracts from a prt1 mutant or extracts from which Nip1p had been depleted, indicating that it possesses a known biochemical activity of ..
- Erzberger J, Stengel F, Pellarin R, Zhang S, Schaefer T, Aylett C, et al. Molecular architecture of the 40Sâ‹…eIF1â‹…eIF3 translation initiation complex. Cell. 2014;158:1123-1135 pubmed publisher..The structures of eIF3 components reported here also have implications for understanding the architecture of the mammalian 43S preinitiation complex and the complex of eIF3, 40S, and the hepatitis C internal ribosomal entry site RNA. ..
- Cherkasov V, Hofmann S, Druffel Augustin S, Mogk A, Tyedmers J, Stoecklin G, et al. Coordination of translational control and protein homeostasis during severe heat stress. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2452-62 pubmed publisher..Chaperone-driven protein disaggregation directly coordinates timing of translation reinitiation with protein folding capacity during cellular protein quality surveillance, enabling efficient protein homeostasis...
- Lee R, Brunette S, Puente L, Megeney L. Metacaspase Yca1 is required for clearance of insoluble protein aggregates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:13348-53 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that Yca1 contributes to the fitness and adaptability of growing yeast through an aggregate remodeling activity. ..
- Naranda T, MacMillan S, Hershey J. Purified yeast translational initiation factor eIF-3 is an RNA-binding protein complex that contains the PRT1 protein. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:32286-92 pubmed..Immunoblotting shows that the 90-kDa subunit corresponds to the product of the PRT1 gene whose mutant form, prt1-1, exhibits destabilization of methionyl-tRNAi binding to 40 S ribosomal subunits...
- Hurto R, Hopper A. P-body components, Dhh1 and Pat1, are involved in tRNA nuclear-cytoplasmic dynamics. RNA. 2011;17:912-24 pubmed publisher..The data provide the first link between P-body formation/translation initiation and tRNA nuclear-cytoplasmic dynamics. The current model is that Dhh1 and Pat1 function in parallel to promote starvation-induced tRNA nuclear accumulation. ..
- VALASEK L, Trachsel H, Hasek J, Ruis H. Rpg1, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of the largest subunit of mammalian translation initiation factor 3, is required for translational activity. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21253-60 pubmed..These data show that Rpg1p is an authentic eIF3 subunit and plays an important role in the initiation step of translation. ..
- Villanyi Z, Ribaud V, Kassem S, Panasenko O, Pahi Z, Gupta I, et al. The Not5 subunit of the ccr4-not complex connects transcription and translation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004569 pubmed publisher..Hence taken together our results show that Not5 interconnects translation and transcription. ..
- Khoshnevis S, Neumann P, Ficner R. Crystal structure of the RNA recognition motif of yeast translation initiation factor eIF3b reveals differences to human eIF3b. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..The proposed RNA binding activity of eIF3b-RRM may help eIF3 to either bind to the ribosome or recruit the mRNA to the 43S pre-initiation complex. ..
- Farley A, Powell D, Weaver C, Jennings J, Link A. Assessing the components of the eIF3 complex and their phosphorylation status. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:1481-94 pubmed publisher..The yeast eIF3 complex contains five core components: Rpg1, Nip1, Prt1, Tif34, and Tif35...
- CieÅ›la M, MakaÅ‚a E, PÅ‚onka M, Bazan R, Gewartowski K, Dziembowski A, et al. Rbs1, a new protein implicated in RNA polymerase III biogenesis in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:1169-81 pubmed publisher..Additionally, Rbs1 interacts with the Crm1 exportin and shuttles between the cytoplasm and nucleus. We postulate that Rbs1 binds to the Pol III complex or subcomplex and facilitates its translocation to the nucleus. ..
- Fringer J, Acker M, Fekete C, Lorsch J, Dever T. Coupled release of eukaryotic translation initiation factors 5B and 1A from 80S ribosomes following subunit joining. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:2384-97 pubmed..Following 80S complex formation, GTP hydrolysis by eIF5B enables the release of both eIF5B and eIF1A, and the ribosome enters the elongation phase of protein synthesis. ..
- Barnes C. Upf1 and Upf2 proteins mediate normal yeast mRNA degradation when translation initiation is limited. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:2433-41 pubmed..mRNAs, from the SSA1 and SSA2 genes, have been identified using temperature-sensitive mutations affecting the Prt1 component of eukaryotic initiation factor 3...
- Danaie P, Wittmer B, Altmann M, Trachsel H. Isolation of a protein complex containing translation initiation factor Prt1 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:4288-92 pubmedTranslation initiation factor Prt1 was purified from a ribosomal salt wash fraction of Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells by ammonium sulfate precipitation, DEAE chromatography, phosphocellulose chromatography, sucrose density gradient ..
- Hinnebusch A, Asano K, Olsen D, Phan L, Nielsen K, VALASEK L. Study of translational control of eukaryotic gene expression using yeast. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1038:60-74 pubmed..Thus, apart from its critical role in the starvation response, GCN4 regulation is a valuable tool for dissecting the contributions of multiple translation factors in the eukaryotic initiation pathway. ..
- Asano K, Shalev A, Phan L, Nielsen K, Clayton J, VALASEK L, et al. Multiple roles for the C-terminal domain of eIF5 in translation initiation complex assembly and GTPase activation. EMBO J. 2001;20:2326-37 pubmed
- Hanic Joyce P, Singer R, Johnston G. Molecular characterization of the yeast PRT1 gene in which mutations affect translation initiation and regulation of cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:2845-51 pubmed..We recently found that one of these mutations, cdc63-1, resides in a gene called PRT1; other mutations in this gene had been previously shown to affect translation ..