Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: POR1
Description: porin POR1
Alias: OMP2, porin POR1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Smith M, Petrak M, Boucher P, Barton K, Carter L, Reddy G, et al. Lysine residues at positions 234 and 236 in yeast porin are involved in its assembly into the mitochondrial outer membrane. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:28331-6 pubmed
- Galganska H, Budzinska M, Wojtkowska M, Kmita H. Redox regulation of protein expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria: possible role of VDAC. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;479:39-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, VDAC can be regarded as a participant of signaling pathways in S. cerevisiae cells. ..
- Wenz L, Ellenrieder L, Qiu J, Bohnert M, Zufall N, van der Laan M, et al. Sam37 is crucial for formation of the mitochondrial TOM-SAM supercomplex, thereby promoting Î²-barrel biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2015;210:1047-54 pubmed publisher..Sam37 thus promotes efficient transfer of Î²-barrel precursors to the SAM complex. We conclude that Sam37 functions as a coupling factor of the translocase supercomplex of the mitochondrial outer membrane. ..
- Merklinger E, Gofman Y, Kedrov A, Driessen A, Ben Tal N, Shai Y, et al. Membrane integration of a mitochondrial signal-anchored protein does not require additional proteinaceous factors. Biochem J. 2012;442:381-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that SA proteins are specifically inserted into the MOM by a process that is not dependent on additional proteins, but is rather facilitated by the distinct lipid composition of this membrane. ..
- Chang L, Lee F. The RNA helicase Dhh1p cooperates with Rbp1p to promote porin mRNA decay via its non-conserved C-terminal domain. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:1331-44 pubmed publisher..An RNA-binding protein, Rbp1p, is known to bind to the 3'-UTR of porin (POR1) mRNA, and induces mRNA decay by an uncharacterized mechanism...
- Weber Lotfi F, Ibrahim N, Boesch P, Cosset A, Konstantinov Y, Lightowlers R, et al. Developing a genetic approach to investigate the mechanism of mitochondrial competence for DNA import. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1787:320-7 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae strains deleted for the VDAC-1 or VDAC-2 gene are severely compromised in DNA import. The prospect is now open to screen further mutant yeast strains to identify the elusive inner membrane DNA transporter. ..
- Pereira C, Camougrand N, Manon S, Sousa M, Corte Real M. ADP/ATP carrier is required for mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization and cytochrome c release in yeast apoptosis. Mol Microbiol. 2007;66:571-82 pubmed..While deletion of POR1 (yeast voltage-dependent anion channel) enhances apoptosis triggered by acetic acid, H(2)O(2) and diamide, CPR3 (..
- Koppel D, Kinnally K, Masters P, Forte M, Blachly Dyson E, Mannella C. Bacterial expression and characterization of the mitochondrial outer membrane channel. Effects of n-terminal modifications. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:13794-800 pubmed..coli. The truncated protein has a CD spectrum similar to that of mitochondrial scVDAC, but its channel activity is abnormal, exhibiting an unstable open state and rapid transitions between multiple subconductance levels. ..
- Brandina I, Graham J, Lemaitre Guillier C, Entelis N, Krasheninnikov I, Sweetlove L, et al. Enolase takes part in a macromolecular complex associated to mitochondria in yeast. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1757:1217-28 pubmed..This suggests an unsuspected novel function for this complex in tRNA mitochondrial import. ..
- Chacinska A, Rehling P, Guiard B, Frazier A, Schulze Specking A, Pfanner N, et al. Mitochondrial translocation contact sites: separation of dynamic and stabilizing elements in formation of a TOM-TIM-preprotein supercomplex. EMBO J. 2003;22:5370-81 pubmed..Thus, Tim50 functions as a dynamic factor and the IMS domain of Tom22 represents a stabilizing element in formation of a productive translocation contact site supercomplex. ..
- Butcher R, Schreiber S. A small molecule suppressor of FK506 that targets the mitochondria and modulates ionic balance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Chem Biol. 2003;10:521-31 pubmed..Our data link ionic balance to mitochondrial function and suggest a role for calcineurin in mediating this signaling network. ..
- Sánchez N, Pearce D, Cardillo T, Uribe S, Sherman F. Requirements of Cyc2p and the porin, Por1p, for ionic stability and mitochondrial integrity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001;392:326-32 pubmed..We report that por1-Delta strains lacking the mitochondrial porin, Por1p, but not por2-Delta strains lacking the related porin, share ..
- Buttner S, Eisenberg T, Carmona Gutierrez D, Ruli D, Knauer H, Ruckenstuhl C, et al. Endonuclease G regulates budding yeast life and death. Mol Cell. 2007;25:233-46 pubmed..Deletion of NUC1 diminishes apoptotic death when mitochondrial respiration is increased but enhances necrotic death when oxidative phosphorylation is repressed, pointing to dual--lethal and vital--roles for EndoG. ..
- McDonald B, Wydro M, Lightowlers R, Lakey J. Probing the orientation of yeast VDAC1 in vivo. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:739-42 pubmed publisher..Two epitopes suggest that VDAC (scVDAC) has its C-terminus exposed to the cytoplasm whilst two others are more equivocal and, when combined with published data, suggest a dynamic behavior. ..
- Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Rao S, Eyrich B, Zahedi R, Stojanovski D, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial protein import by cytosolic kinases. Cell. 2011;144:227-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cytosolic kinases exert stimulatory and inhibitory effects on biogenesis and function of the TOM complex and thus regulate protein import into mitochondria. ..
- Buttner S, Ruli D, Vögtle F, Galluzzi L, Moitzi B, Eisenberg T, et al. A yeast BH3-only protein mediates the mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis. EMBO J. 2011;30:2779-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, the yeast genome encodes a functional BH3 domain that induces cell death through phylogenetically conserved mechanisms. ..
- Pereira H, Azevedo F, Rego A, Sousa M, Chaves S, Corte Real M. The protective role of yeast cathepsin D in acetic acid-induced apoptosis depends on ANT (Aac2p) but not on the voltage-dependent channel (Por1p). FEBS Lett. 2013;587:200-5 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a differential interplay between yeast vacuolar CatD and mitochondrial proteins involved in apoptosis regulation. ..
- Wenz L, Opaliński L, Schuler M, Ellenrieder L, Ieva R, Böttinger L, et al. The presequence pathway is involved in protein sorting to the mitochondrial outer membrane. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:678-85 pubmed publisher..Assembly of Om45 in the outer membrane involves the MIM machinery. Om45 thus follows a new mitochondrial biogenesis pathway that uses elements of the presequence import pathway to direct a protein to the outer membrane. ..
- Murai M, Okuda A, Yamamoto T, Shinohara Y, Miyoshi H. Synthetic Ubiquinones Specifically Bind to Mitochondrial Voltage-Dependent Anion Channel 1 (VDAC1) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mitochondria. Biochemistry. 2017;56:570-581 pubmed publisher..Thus, the results of the present study provided, for the first time to our knowledge, direct evidence indicating that the ubiquinone molecule specifically binds to VDAC1 through its quinone-head ring. ..
- MagrÃ¬ A, Di Rosa M, Tomasello M, Guarino F, Reina S, Messina A, et al. Overexpression of human SOD1 in VDAC1-less yeast restores mitochondrial functionality modulating beta-barrel outer membrane protein genes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1857:789-98 pubmed publisher..Saccharomyces cerevisiae lacking VDAC1 (Î”por1) is a very convenient model system, since it shows an impaired growth rate on non-fermentable carbon source...
- Strogolova V, Orlova M, Shevade A, Kuchin S. Mitochondrial porin Por1 and its homolog Por2 contribute to the positive control of Snf1 protein kinase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2012;11:1568-72 pubmed publisher..We previously recovered the yeast mitochondrial porin Por1 (yVDAC1) from a two-hybrid screen for Snf1-interacting proteins...
- Sanada M, Kuroda K, Ueda M. ROS production and apoptosis induction by formation of Gts1p-mediated protein aggregates. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:1546-53 pubmed
- Stroud D, Becker T, Qiu J, Stojanovski D, Pfannschmidt S, Wirth C, et al. Biogenesis of mitochondrial ?-barrel proteins: the POTRA domain is involved in precursor release from the SAM complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2823-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate the POTRA domain of Sam50 is not essential for recognition of ?-barrel precursors but functions in a subsequent step to promote the release of precursor proteins from the SAM complex. ..
- Gutiérrez Aguilar M, Pérez Vázquez V, Bunoust O, Manon S, Rigoulet M, Uribe S. In yeast, Ca2+ and octylguanidine interact with porin (VDAC) preventing the mitochondrial permeability transition. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1767:1245-51 pubmed..It is thus suggested that in yeast mitochondria, the voltage-dependent anion channel has a cation binding site where Ca(2+) and octylguanidine interact, conferring cation sensitivity to the yeast mitochondrial unspecific channel. ..