Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: POP2
Description: CCR4-NOT core DEDD family RNase subunit POP2
Alias: CAF1, CCR4-NOT core DEDD family RNase subunit POP2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Hook B, Goldstrohm A, Seay D, Wickens M. Two yeast PUF proteins negatively regulate a single mRNA. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15430-8 pubmed..Combinatorial action of the two regulatory proteins may allow responses to specific environmental cues and be common in 3'-untranslated region-mediated control. ..
- Ohn T, Chiang Y, Lee D, Yao G, Zhang C, Denis C. CAF1 plays an important role in mRNA deadenylation separate from its contact to CCR4. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:3002-15 pubmedThe CAF1 protein is a component of the CCR4-NOT deadenylase complex. While yeast CAF1 displays deadenylase activity, this activity is not required for its deadenylation function in vivo, and CCR4 is the primary deadenylase in the complex...
- Bai Y, Salvadore C, Chiang Y, Collart M, Liu H, Denis C. The CCR4 and CAF1 proteins of the CCR4-NOT complex are physically and functionally separated from NOT2, NOT4, and NOT5. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:6642-51 pubmedThe CCR4-NOT complex (1 mDa in size), consisting of the proteins CCR4, CAF1, and NOT1 to NOT5, regulates gene expression both positively and negatively and is distinct from other large transcriptional complexes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae ..
- Azzouz N, Panasenko O, Colau G, Collart M. The CCR4-NOT complex physically and functionally interacts with TRAMP and the nuclear exosome. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6760 pubmed publisher..Our findings connect for the first time the different players involved in nuclear and cytoplasmic RNA degradation. ..
- Hata H, Mitsui H, Liu H, Bai Y, Denis C, Shimizu Y, et al. Dhh1p, a putative RNA helicase, associates with the general transcription factors Pop2p and Ccr4p from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1998;148:571-9 pubmedThe POP2 (Caf1) protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae affects a variety of transcriptional processes and is a component of the Ccr4p complex...
- Basquin J, Roudko V, Rode M, Basquin C, Seraphin B, Conti E. Architecture of the nuclease module of the yeast Ccr4-not complex: the Not1-Caf1-Ccr4 interaction. Mol Cell. 2012;48:207-18 pubmed publisher..Ccr4-Not is organized around Not1, a large scaffold protein that recruits two 3'-5' exoribonucleases, Caf1 and Ccr4...
- Moriya H, Shimizu Yoshida Y, Omori A, Iwashita S, Katoh M, Sakai A. Yak1p, a DYRK family kinase, translocates to the nucleus and phosphorylates yeast Pop2p in response to a glucose signal. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1217-28 pubmedb>POP2 protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a component of a protein complex that regulates the transcription of many genes. We found that the 97th threonine residue (Thr 97) of Pop2p was phosphorylated upon glucose limitation...
- Denis C, Chiang Y, Cui Y, Chen J. Genetic evidence supports a role for the yeast CCR4-NOT complex in transcriptional elongation. Genetics. 2001;158:627-34 pubmed..These genetic results are consistent with the model that the CCR4-NOT complex, in addition to its known effects on initiation, plays a role in aiding the elongation process. ..
- Traven A, Beilharz T, Lo T, Lueder F, Preiss T, Heierhorst J. The Ccr4-Pop2-NOT mRNA deadenylase contributes to septin organization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2009;182:955-66 pubmed publisher..Here we establish that the Ccr4-Pop2-NOT mRNA deadenylase contributes to septin organization...
- Tucker M, Staples R, Valencia Sanchez M, Muhlrad D, Parker R. Ccr4p is the catalytic subunit of a Ccr4p/Pop2p/Notp mRNA deadenylase complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J. 2002;21:1427-36 pubmed..These results define the Ccr4p/Pop2p/Not complex as the cytoplasmic deadenylase in yeast and identify positive and negative regulators of this enzyme complex. ..
- Azzouz N, Panasenko O, Deluen C, Hsieh J, Theiler G, Collart M. Specific roles for the Ccr4-Not complex subunits in expression of the genome. RNA. 2009;15:377-83 pubmed publisher..From the study of only two different growth conditions, revealing an impact of the Ccr4-Not complex on more than 85% of all studied genes, we can infer that the Ccr4-Not complex is important for expression of most of the yeast genome. ..
- Goldstrohm A, Seay D, Hook B, Wickens M. PUF protein-mediated deadenylation is catalyzed by Ccr4p. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:109-14 pubmed..e. deadenylation). Mpt5p repression in vivo is dependent on POP2, a component of the cytoplasmic Ccr4p-Pop2p-Not complex that deadenylates mRNAs...
- Traven A, Hammet A, Tenis N, Denis C, Heierhorst J. Ccr4-not complex mRNA deadenylase activity contributes to DNA damage responses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2005;169:65-75 pubmed..Here we show that CCR4 and CAF1, which together encode the major cytoplasmic mRNA deadenylase complex, have complex genetic interactions with the ..
- Bhaskar V, Roudko V, Basquin J, Sharma K, Urlaub H, Seraphin B, et al. Structure and RNA-binding properties of the Not1-Not2-Not5 module of the yeast Ccr4-Not complex. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1281-8 pubmed publisher..The ternary complex forms a composite surface that binds poly(U) RNA in vitro, with a site at the Not5 Not box. The results suggest that the Not module forms a versatile platform for macromolecular interactions. ..
- Lenssen E, Azzouz N, Michel A, Landrieux E, Collart M. The Ccr4-not complex regulates Skn7 through Srb10 kinase. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:2251-9 pubmed..These results reveal a critical role for the Ccr4-Not complex in the mechanism of activation of Skn7 that is dependent upon the Srb10 kinase. ..
- Cui Y, Ramnarain D, Chiang Y, Ding L, McMahon J, Denis C. Genome wide expression analysis of the CCR4-NOT complex indicates that it consists of three modules with the NOT module controlling SAGA-responsive genes. Mol Genet Genomics. 2008;279:323-37 pubmed publisherOf the nine known members of the CCR4-NOT complex, CCR4/CAF1 are most important in mRNA deadenylation whereas the NOT1-5 proteins are most critical for transcriptional repression...
- Draper M, Salvadore C, Denis C. Identification of a mouse protein whose homolog in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a component of the CCR4 transcriptional regulatory complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:3487-95 pubmed..cerevisiae. The yeast gene (yCAF1) had been previously cloned as the POP2 gene, which is required for expression of several genes. Both yCAF1 (POP2) and the C...
- Panasenko O, Landrieux E, Feuermann M, Finka A, Paquet N, Collart M. The yeast Ccr4-Not complex controls ubiquitination of the nascent-associated polypeptide (NAC-EGD) complex. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:31389-98 pubmed..Taken together our results reveal that the EGD ribosome-associated complex is ubiquitinated in a regulated manner, and they show a new role for the Ccr4-Not complex in this ubiquitination. ..
- Deluen C, James N, Maillet L, Molinete M, Theiler G, Lemaire M, et al. The Ccr4-not complex and yTAF1 (yTaf(II)130p/yTaf(II)145p) show physical and functional interactions. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6735-49 pubmed
- Maillet L, Tu C, Hong Y, Shuster E, Collart M. The essential function of Not1 lies within the Ccr4-Not complex. J Mol Biol. 2000;303:131-43 pubmedThe five Saccharomyces cerevisiae Not proteins are associated with the Ccr4 and Caf1 proteins in 1.2 MDa and 2 MDa complexes...
- Chen J, Rappsilber J, Chiang Y, Russell P, Mann M, Denis C. Purification and characterization of the 1.0 MDa CCR4-NOT complex identifies two novel components of the complex. J Mol Biol. 2001;314:683-94 pubmed..The 1.0 MDa complex was found to contain CCR4, CAF1, NOT1-5 and two new proteins, CAF40 and CAF130...
- Coller J, Tucker M, Sheth U, Valencia Sanchez M, Parker R. The DEAD box helicase, Dhh1p, functions in mRNA decapping and interacts with both the decapping and deadenylase complexes. RNA. 2001;7:1717-27 pubmed..Interestingly, Dhh1p homologs in others species function in maternal mRNA storage. This provides a novel link between the mechanisms of decapping and maternal mRNA translational repression. ..
- Li X, Ohmori T, Irie K, Kimura Y, Suda Y, Mizuno T, et al. Different Regulations of ROM2 and LRG1 Expression by Ccr4, Pop2, and Dhh1 in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Cell Wall Integrity Pathway. mSphere. 2016;1: pubmed..Here we examined the possible involvement of the POP2 gene encoding a subunit of the Ccr4-Not complex and the DHH1 gene encoding a DEAD box RNA helicase that ..
- Jasnos L, Korona R. Epistatic buffering of fitness loss in yeast double deletion strains. Nat Genet. 2007;39:550-4 pubmed..Based on our data and former theoretical work, we suggest that epistasis is likely to diminish the negative effects of mutations when the ability to produce biomass at high rates contributes significantly to fitness. ..
- Russell P, Benson J, Denis C. Characterization of mutations in NOT2 indicates that it plays an important role in maintaining the integrity of the CCR4-NOT complex. J Mol Biol. 2002;322:27-39 pubmed..These results indicate that it is the loss of the integrity of the CCR4-NOT complex which leads to severe not2 phenotypes and that the NOT2 contacts to ADA2 play a lesser role in NOT2 function. ..
- Simon E, Seraphin B. A specific role for the C-terminal region of the Poly(A)-binding protein in mRNA decay. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:6017-28 pubmed..In vitro analyses demonstrate that removal of the Pab1 linker domain directly interferes with the ability of the Pop2-Ccr4 complex to deadenylate the Pab1-bound poly(A)...
- Zhang Z, Shibahara K, Stillman B. PCNA connects DNA replication to epigenetic inheritance in yeast. Nature. 2000;408:221-5 pubmed..Thus, PCNA participates in inheritance of both DNA and epigenetic chromatin structures during the S phase of the cell cycle, the latter by at least two mechanisms. ..
- Ito W, Li X, Irie K, Mizuno T, Irie K. RNA-binding protein Khd1 and Ccr4 deadenylase play overlapping roles in the cell wall integrity pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2011;10:1340-7 pubmed publisher..Our results presented here suggest that Khd1 and Ccr4 modulate a signal from Rho1 in the CWI pathway by regulating the expression of RhoGEF and RhoGAP. ..
- Liu H, Toyn J, Chiang Y, Draper M, Johnston L, Denis C. DBF2, a cell cycle-regulated protein kinase, is physically and functionally associated with the CCR4 transcriptional regulatory complex. EMBO J. 1997;16:5289-98 pubmed..DBF2 co-immunoprecipitated with CCR4 and CAF1/POP2, a CCR4-associated factor, and co-purified with the CCR4 complex...
- Kruk J, Dutta A, Fu J, Gilmour D, Reese J. The multifunctional Ccr4-Not complex directly promotes transcription elongation. Genes Dev. 2011;25:581-93 pubmed publisher..The discovery that Ccr4/Pop2 is the major cytoplasmic mRNA deadenylase and the detection of Not proteins within mRNA processing bodies have ..
- Becerra M, Lombardia L, Lamas Maceiras M, Canto E, Rodriguez Belmonte E, Cerdan M. Comparative transcriptome analysis of yeast strains carrying slt2, rlm1, and pop2 deletions. Genome. 2011;54:99-109 pubmed publisherThe function of the genes SLT2 (encoding the Mpk1 protein), RLM1, and POP2 have previously been related to several stress responses in yeasts...
- Laxman S, Tu B. Multiple TORC1-associated proteins regulate nitrogen starvation-dependent cellular differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26081 pubmed publisher..Our studies also suggest the CEN.PK strain background of S. cerevisiae may be particularly useful for investigations of nitrogen starvation-induced diploid pseudohyphal growth. ..
- Nasertorabi F, Batisse C, Diepholz M, Suck D, BÃ¶ttcher B. Insights into the structure of the CCR4-NOT complex by electron microscopy. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:2182-6 pubmed publisher..The complex is conserved from yeast to human and consists of nine proteins NOT1-NOT5, CCR4, CAF1, CAF40 and CAF130...
- Kimura Y, Irie K, Irie K. Pbp1 is involved in Ccr4- and Khd1-mediated regulation of cell growth through association with ribosomal proteins Rpl12a and Rpl12b. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:864-74 pubmed publisher..The pbp1? mutation also suppressed the growth defect caused by double deletion of POP2, encoding another cytoplasmic deadenylase, and KHD1...
- Wolf D, McKeon F, Jackson P. F-box/WD-repeat proteins pop1p and Sud1p/Pop2p form complexes that bind and direct the proteolysis of cdc18p. Curr Biol. 1999;9:373-6 pubmed..We show here that, despite their structural and functional similarities, the pop1 and pop2 genes fail to complement each other's deletion phenotypes, indicating that they perform non-redundant, but ..
- Stowell J, Webster M, KÃ¶gel A, Wolf J, Shelley K, Passmore L. Reconstitution of Targeted Deadenylation by the Ccr4-Not Complex and the YTH Domain Protein Mmi1. Cell Rep. 2016;17:1978-1989 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support a model whereby both RNA-bindingÂ proteins and the sequence context of mRNAs influence deadenylation rate to regulate gene expression. ..
- Wolfe K, Ren H, Trepte P, Cyr D. Polyglutamine-rich suppressors of huntingtin toxicity act upstream of Hsp70 and Sti1 in spatial quality control of amyloid-like proteins. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e95914 pubmed publisher..High copy suppressors of Htt103Q-NLS toxicity include the polyQ-domain containing proteins Nab3, Pop2, and Cbk1, and each suppresses Htt toxicity via a different mechanism...
- Clemente Ruiz M, González Prieto R, Prado F. Histone H3K56 acetylation, CAF1, and Rtt106 coordinate nucleosome assembly and stability of advancing replication forks. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002376 pubmed publisher..Here we have analyzed why impairment of the H3K56 acetylation-dependent CAF1 and Rtt106 chromatin assembly pathways, which have redundant roles in H3/H4 deposition during DNA replication, ..
- Sauer P, Timm J, Liu D, Sitbon D, Boeri Erba E, Velours C, et al. Insights into the molecular architecture and histone H3-H4 deposition mechanism of yeast Chromatin assembly factor 1. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Here, we report that yeast chromatin assembly factor 1 (CAF1), a conserved histone chaperone complex that deposits H3-H4 during DNA replication, binds a single H3-H4 ..
- Lau N, Mulder K, Brenkman A, Mohammed S, van den Broek N, Heck A, et al. Phosphorylation of Not4p functions parallel to BUR2 to regulate resistance to cellular stresses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9864 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Not4p phosphorylation is involved in tolerance to cellular stresses and acts in pathways parallel to BUR2 to affect stress responses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Rendl L, Bieman M, Smibert C. S. cerevisiae Vts1p induces deadenylation-dependent transcript degradation and interacts with the Ccr4p-Pop2p-Not deadenylase complex. RNA. 2008;14:1328-36 pubmed publisher..Taken together with previous work, these data suggest that Smaug family members employ a conserved mechanism to induce transcript degradation that involves recruitment of the Ccr4-Pop2-Not deadenylase to target mRNAs.
- Beckham C, Hilliker A, Cziko A, Noueiry A, Ramaswami M, Parker R. The DEAD-box RNA helicase Ded1p affects and accumulates in Saccharomyces cerevisiae P-bodies. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:984-93 pubmed..Combined with earlier work showing Ded1p can have a positive effect on translation, these results suggest that Ded1p is a bifunctional protein that can affect both translation initiation and P-body formation. ..
- Komarnitsky S, Chiang Y, Luca F, Chen J, Toyn J, Winey M, et al. DBF2 protein kinase binds to and acts through the cell cycle-regulated MOB1 protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:2100-7 pubmed..We discuss models concerning the role of DBF2 and MOB1 in controlling the telophase/G1 transition. ..
- Zhang C, Lee D, Chiang Y, Richardson R, Park S, Wang X, et al. The RRM1 domain of the poly(A)-binding protein from Saccharomyces cerevisiae is critical to control of mRNA deadenylation. Mol Genet Genomics. 2013;288:401-12 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the RRM1 domain is the more critical region of PAB1 for controlling deadenylation and consists of at least two distinguishable functional regions. ..
- Schild D. Suppression of a new allele of the yeast RAD52 gene by overexpression of RAD51, mutations in srs2 and ccr4, or mating-type heterozygosity. Genetics. 1995;140:115-27 pubmed..A new allele of srs2 and alleles of the transcriptional regulatory genes ccr4 and caf1 were among the other extragenic revertants of rad52-20...
- Kang H, Jeong S, Kim K, Baek I, Chang M, Kang C, et al. A novel protein, Pho92, has a conserved YTH domain and regulates phosphate metabolism by decreasing the mRNA stability of PHO4 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2014;457:391-400 pubmed publisher..of PHO4 mRNA was increased in the ?pho92 strain; this phenotype was also observed in the deletion mutants UPF1 and POP2, which are components of the NMD (nonsense-mediated decay) pathway and the Pop2-Ccr4-Not deadenylase complex ..
- Norbeck J. Carbon source dependent dynamics of the Ccr4-Not complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Microbiol. 2008;46:692-6 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the use of different carbon sources will be a good starting point to unravel these functions. ..
- Assenholt J, Mouaikel J, Saguez C, Rougemaille M, Libri D, Jensen T. Implication of Ccr4-Not complex function in mRNA quality control in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA. 2011;17:1788-94 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Rrp6p-dependent in vivo QC phenotypes of ?mft1 cells can be rescued by codeletion of several Ccr4-Not components. We discuss how the Ccr4-Not complex may connect with the mRNP QC pathway. ..
- Lee T, Wyrick J, Koh S, Jennings E, Gadbois E, Young R. Interplay of positive and negative regulators in transcription initiation by RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4455-62 pubmed..The recessive suppressors include NCB1 (BUR6), NCB2, NOT1, NOT3, NOT5, and CAF1, which encode subunits of NC2 and the Not complex...
- Babbarwal V, Fu J, Reese J. The Rpb4/7 module of RNA polymerase II is required for carbon catabolite repressor protein 4-negative on TATA (Ccr4-not) complex to promote elongation. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:33125-30 pubmed publisher..The interplay between Ccr4-Not and Rpb4/7 described here suggests a mechanism for how the cell coordinates mRNA synthesis and decay. ..
- Tamburini B, Carson J, Linger J, Tyler J. Dominant mutants of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ASF1 histone chaperone bypass the need for CAF-1 in transcriptional silencing by altering histone and Sir protein recruitment. Genetics. 2006;173:599-610 pubmed..As such, these studies have identified the nature of the molecular defect in the silent chromatin structure that results from inactivation of the histone chaperone CAF-1. ..
- Kerr S, Azzouz N, Fuchs S, Collart M, Strahl B, Corbett A, et al. The Ccr4-Not complex interacts with the mRNA export machinery. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18302 pubmed publisher..Human Caf1 (hCaf1), a Ccr4-Not complex member, interacts with and regulates the arginine methyltransferase PRMT1, whose ..