Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: POL32
Description: DNA polymerase delta subunit POL32
Alias: REV5, DNA polymerase delta subunit POL32
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Gibbs P, McDonald J, Woodgate R, Lawrence C. The relative roles in vivo of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pol eta, Pol zeta, Rev1 protein and Pol32 in the bypass and mutation induction of an abasic site, T-T (6-4) photoadduct and T-T cis-syn cyclobutane dimer. Genetics. 2005;169:575-82 pubmed..cerevisiae DNA polymerase eta, DNA polymerase zeta, Rev1 protein, and the DNA polymerase delta subunit, Pol32, in the bypass of an abasic site, T-T (6-4) photoadduct and T-T cis-syn cyclobutane dimer, by transforming strains ..
- Karras G, Fumasoni M, Sienski G, Vanoli F, Branzei D, Jentsch S. Noncanonical role of the 9-1-1 clamp in the error-free DNA damage tolerance pathway. Mol Cell. 2013;49:536-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus reveal unexpected cooperation in the error-free pathway between the two related clamps and indicate that 9-1-1 plays a broader role in the DNA damage response than previously assumed. ..
- Johansson E, Majka J, Burgers P. Structure of DNA polymerase delta from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43824-8 pubmed..delta (Pol delta) from Saccharomyces cerevisiae consists of three subunits, Pol3 (125 kDa), Pol31 (55 kDa), and Pol32 (40 kDa), present at a 1:1:1 stoichiometry in purified preparations...
- Huang M, Rio A, Galibert M, Galibert F. Pol32, a subunit of Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase delta, suppresses genomic deletions and is involved in the mutagenic bypass pathway. Genetics. 2002;160:1409-22 pubmedThe Pol32 subunit of S. cerevisiae DNA polymerase (Pol) delta plays an important role in replication and mutagenesis...
- Branzei D, Seki M, Onoda F, Enomoto T. The product of Saccharomyces cerevisiae WHIP/MGS1, a gene related to replication factor C genes, interacts functionally with DNA polymerase delta. Mol Genet Genomics. 2002;268:371-86 pubmed..At permissive temperatures, deletion of MGS1 suppresses the hydroxyurea (HU) sensitivity of pol31 and pol32 mutants, which bear mutations in the smaller subunits of DNA polymerase delta, and at semipermissive and non-..
- Huang M, de Calignon A, Nicolas A, Galibert F. POL32, a subunit of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase delta, defines a link between DNA replication and the mutagenic bypass repair pathway. Curr Genet. 2000;38:178-87 pubmedb>Pol32 is a subunit of Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase delta required in DNA replication and repair...
- Payen C, Koszul R, Dujon B, Fischer G. Segmental duplications arise from Pol32-dependent repair of broken forks through two alternative replication-based mechanisms. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000175 pubmed publisher..The Pol32 subunit of the major replicative polymerase Poldelta is required for all SD formation, demonstrating that SDs ..
- Acharya N, Klassen R, Johnson R, Prakash L, Prakash S. PCNA binding domains in all three subunits of yeast DNA polymerase ? modulate its function in DNA replication. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17927-32 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae is comprised of three subunits, the catalytic subunit Pol3 and the accessory subunits Pol31 and Pol32. Yeast Pol? exhibits a very high processivity in synthesizing DNA with the proliferating cell nuclear antigen (..
- Burgers P, Gerik K. Structure and processivity of two forms of Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase delta. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:19756-62 pubmedYeast DNA polymerase delta (Poldelta) consists of three subunits encoded by the POL3, POL31, and POL32 genes...
- Karras G, Jentsch S. The RAD6 DNA damage tolerance pathway operates uncoupled from the replication fork and is functional beyond S phase. Cell. 2010;141:255-67 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that the RAD6 pathway acts on single-stranded gaps left behind newly restarted replication forks. ..
- Moriel Carretero M, Aguilera A. A postincision-deficient TFIIH causes replication fork breakage and uncovers alternative Rad51- or Pol32-mediated restart mechanisms. Mol Cell. 2010;37:690-701 pubmed publisher..recombination via two types of replication restart mechanisms, one being Rad51 dependent and the other Pol32 dependent...
- Sharma N, Kochenova O, Shcherbakova P. The non-canonical protein binding site at the monomer-monomer interface of yeast proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) regulates the Rev1-PCNA interaction and Pol?/Rev1-dependent translesion DNA synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33557-66 pubmed publisher..The new mode of Rev1-PCNA binding described here suggests a mechanism by which Rev1 adopts a catalytically inactive configuration at the replication fork. ..
- Lydeard J, Jain S, Yamaguchi M, Haber J. Break-induced replication and telomerase-independent telomere maintenance require Pol32. Nature. 2007;448:820-3 pubmed..Initiation of BIR also requires the nonessential DNA Poldelta subunit Pol32 primarily through its interaction with another Poldelta subunit, Pol31...
- Branzei D, Seki M, Enomoto T. Rad18/Rad5/Mms2-mediated polyubiquitination of PCNA is implicated in replication completion during replication stress. Genes Cells. 2004;9:1031-42 pubmed..Our results are consistent with the idea that the Rad18/Rad5/Mms2 polyubiquitination pathway is important for replication completion, perhaps by promoting a template switch type of DNA synthesis. ..
- Johansson E, Garg P, Burgers P. The Pol32 subunit of DNA polymerase delta contains separable domains for processive replication and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) binding. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:1907-15 pubmedWe have carried out a domain analysis of POL32, the third subunit of Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase delta (Pol delta)...
- Johnson R, Prakash L, Prakash S. Pol31 and Pol32 subunits of yeast DNA polymerase ? are also essential subunits of DNA polymerase ?. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:12455-60 pubmed publisher..Pol? comprises the Rev3 catalytic and Rev7 accessory subunits. Pol32, a subunit of the replicative polymerase Pol?, is also required for Pol?-dependent TLS, but how this Pol? subunit ..
- Acharya N, Johnson R, Pages V, Prakash L, Prakash S. Yeast Rev1 protein promotes complex formation of DNA polymerase zeta with Pol32 subunit of DNA polymerase delta. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9631-6 pubmed publisherYeast DNA polymerase (Pol) delta, essential for DNA replication, is comprised of 3 subunits, Pol3, Pol31, and Pol32. Of these, the catalytic subunit Pol3 and the second subunit Pol31 are essential, whereas the Pol32 subunit is not ..
- Netz D, Stith C, Stümpfig M, Köpf G, Vogel D, Genau H, et al. Eukaryotic DNA polymerases require an iron-sulfur cluster for the formation of active complexes. Nat Chem Biol. 2011;8:125-32 pubmed publisher..cofactor by cysteine ligand mutagenesis in Pol3 destabilized the CTD and abrogated interaction with the Pol31 and Pol32 subunits. Reciprocally, overexpression of accessory subunits increased the amount of the CTD-bound Fe-S cluster...
- Deem A, Barker K, VanHulle K, Downing B, Vayl A, Malkova A. Defective break-induced replication leads to half-crossovers in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2008;179:1845-60 pubmed publisher..mutations selected on the basis of their sensitivity to various DNA-damaging agents demonstrated that deletion of POL32, which encodes a third, nonessential subunit of polymerase delta, significantly reduced the efficiency of BIR, ..
- Eissenberg J, Ayyagari R, Gomes X, Burgers P. Mutations in yeast proliferating cell nuclear antigen define distinct sites for interaction with DNA polymerase delta and DNA polymerase epsilon. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:6367-78 pubmed..A loss of interaction between pcna-79 and the smallest subunit of Poldelta, the POL32 gene product, implicates this interaction in the observed defect with the polymerase...
- Guo X, Hum Y, Lehner K, Jinks Robertson S. Regulation of hetDNA Length during Mitotic Double-Strand Break Repair in Yeast. Mol Cell. 2017;67:539-549.e4 pubmed publisher..Data are most consistent with the extent of DNA synthesis from the invading end being the primary determinant of hetDNA length during SDSA. ..
- Alver R, Zhang T, Josephrajan A, Fultz B, Hendrix C, Das Bradoo S, et al. The N-terminus of Mcm10 is important for interaction with the 9-1-1 clamp and in resistance to DNA damage. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:8389-404 pubmed publisher..Since Rad53 phosphorylation in response to UV light appears to be normal in N-terminally truncated mcm10 mutants, we propose that Mcm10 may have a role in replication fork restart or DNA repair. ..
- Rossi M, Bambara R. Reconstituted Okazaki fragment processing indicates two pathways of primer removal. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:26051-61 pubmed..However, some flaps become long and require the two-nuclease pathway. It appears that both pathways, operating in parallel, are required for processing of all flaps. ..
- G mez Llorente Y, Malik R, Jain R, Choudhury J, Johnson R, Prakash L, et al. The architecture of yeast DNA polymerase ?. Cell Rep. 2013;5:79-86 pubmed publisher..Pol? has recently been shown to form a stable four-subunit enzyme (Pol?-d) upon the incorporation of Pol31 and Pol32, the accessory subunits of yeast Pol?...
- Mukherjee K, Storici F. A mechanism of gene amplification driven by small DNA fragments. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003119 pubmed publisher..SFDA is dependent on Rad52 and Rad59, partially dependent on Rad1, Rad10, and Pol32, and independent of Rad51, suggesting a single-strand annealing mechanism...
- Kawasaki Y, Hiraga S, Sugino A. Interactions between Mcm10p and other replication factors are required for proper initiation and elongation of chromosomal DNA replication in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Cells. 2000;5:975-89 pubmed
- Che J, Smith S, Kim Y, Shim E, Myung K, Lee S. Hyper-Acetylation of Histone H3K56 Limits Break-Induced Replication by Inhibiting Extensive Repair Synthesis. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004990 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest that acetylation of H3K56 limits extensive repair synthesis and interferes with efficient fork progression in BIR. ..
- Langston L, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase delta is highly processive with proliferating cell nuclear antigen and undergoes collision release upon completing DNA. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29522-31 pubmed publisher..The released pol delta transfers to a new primed site, provided the new site contains a PCNA clamp. Additional results indicate that the collision release mechanism is intrinsic to the pol3/pol31 subunits of the pol delta heterotrimer. ..
- Budd M, Reis C, Smith S, Myung K, Campbell J. Evidence suggesting that Pif1 helicase functions in DNA replication with the Dna2 helicase/nuclease and DNA polymerase delta. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2490-500 pubmed..temperature sensitive; however, these phenotypes can be suppressed by further deletion of a subunit of pol delta, POL32. Deletion of PIF1 also suppresses the cold-sensitive lethality and hydroxyurea sensitivity of the pol32delta ..
- Saugar I, Parker J, Zhao S, Ulrich H. The genome maintenance factor Mgs1 is targeted to sites of replication stress by ubiquitylated PCNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:245-57 pubmed publisher..Our identification of Mgs1 as a UBZ-dependent downstream effector of ubiquitylated PCNA suggests an explanation for the ambivalent role of the protein in damage processing. ..
- Gonzalez Huici V, Szakal B, Urulangodi M, Psakhye I, Castellucci F, Menolfi D, et al. DNA bending facilitates the error-free DNA damage tolerance pathway and upholds genome integrity. EMBO J. 2014;33:327-40 pubmed publisher..Together, the results suggest that replication-associated topological changes involving the molecular DNA bender, Hmo1, set the stage for dedicated repair reactions that limit errors during replication and impact on genome stability. ..
- Zamir L, Zaretsky M, Fridman Y, Ner Gaon H, Rubin E, Aharoni A. Tight coevolution of proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA)-partner interaction networks in fungi leads to interspecies network incompatibility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E406-14 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the coevolution of PPI networks can form functional barriers between fungal species, and thus can promote and fix speciation...
- Meyer D, Fu B, Heyer W. DNA polymerases Î´ and Î» cooperate in repairing double-strand breaks by microhomology-mediated end-joining in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E6907-16 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Pol Î´ recruitment was diminished in cells lacking Pol Î». These data suggest cooperative involvement of both polymerases in MMEJ. ..
- van Welsem T, Frederiks F, Verzijlbergen K, Faber A, Nelson Z, Egan D, et al. Synthetic lethal screens identify gene silencing processes in yeast and implicate the acetylated amino terminus of Sir3 in recognition of the nucleosome core. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:3861-72 pubmed publisher..We performed genome-wide synthetic genetic array (SGA) analysis and identified interactions of DOT1 with SIR1 and POL32. The synthetic growth defects found by SGA analysis were attributed to the loss of mating type identity caused by ..
- Stith C, Sterling J, Resnick M, Gordenin D, Burgers P. Flexibility of eukaryotic Okazaki fragment maturation through regulated strand displacement synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:34129-40 pubmed publisher..Our genetic studies show that deletion of the POL32 (third subunit of Pol delta) or PIF1 helicase genes can suppress lethality or growth defects of rad27Delta pol3-..
- Simoneau A, Ricard Ã, Weber S, Hammond Martel I, Wong L, Sellam A, et al. Chromosome-wide histone deacetylation by sirtuins prevents hyperactivation of DNA damage-induced signaling upon replicative stress. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:2706-26 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data support the concept that chromosome-wide histone deacetylation by sirtuins is critical to mitigate growth defects caused by endogenous genotoxins. ..
- Ruiz J, Gómez González B, Aguilera A. Chromosomal translocations caused by either pol32-dependent or pol32-independent triparental break-induced replication. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5441-54 pubmed publisher..HR) proteins, such as Rad51, Rad52, and Rad59, as well as on the break-induced replication-specific protein Pol32 and on Srs2, but not on Ku70...
- Stodola J, Stith C, Burgers P. Proficient Replication of the Yeast Genome by a Viral DNA Polymerase. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:11698-705 pubmed publisher..Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pol ? is a three-subunit enzyme (Pol3-Pol31-Pol32)...
- van der Kemp P, de Padula M, Burguiere Slezak G, Ulrich H, Boiteux S. PCNA monoubiquitylation and DNA polymerase eta ubiquitin-binding domain are required to prevent 8-oxoguanine-induced mutagenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:2549-59 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that Pol eta and the post-replication repair (PRR) machinery can also prevent mutagenesis at DNA lesions that do not stall replication forks. ..
- Dittmar J, Pierce S, Rothstein R, Reid R. Physical and genetic-interaction density reveals functional organization and informs significance cutoffs in genome-wide screens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:7389-94 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, because CLIK uses previously annotated interaction data to determine biologically informed cutoffs, it provides additional insights into screen results, which supplement traditional statistical approaches. ..
- Kochenova O, Bezalel Buch R, Tran P, Makarova A, Chabes A, Burgers P, et al. Yeast DNA polymerase ? maintains consistent activity and mutagenicity across a wide range of physiological dNTP concentrations. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:1200-1218 pubmed publisher..The results support a model wherein dNTP elevation is needed to facilitate non-mutagenic tolerance pathways, while Pol? synthesis represents a unique mechanism of rescuing stalled replication when dNTP supply is low. ..
- Herrera Moyano E, Mergui X, Garc a Rubio M, Barroso S, Aguilera A. The yeast and human FACT chromatin-reorganizing complexes solve R-loop-mediated transcription-replication conflicts. Genes Dev. 2014;28:735-48 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a key function of FACT in the resolution of R-loop-mediated transcription-replication conflicts, likely associated with a specific chromatin organization...
- Chan K, Resnick M, Gordenin D. The choice of nucleotide inserted opposite abasic sites formed within chromosomal DNA reveals the polymerase activities participating in translesion DNA synthesis. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013;12:878-89 pubmed publisher..We also found that deletion of Pol32, a non-essential common subunit of Pols Î´ and Î¶, resulted in residual low-frequency C insertion dependent on ..
- Daraba A, Gali V, Halmai M, Haracska L, Unk I. Def1 promotes the degradation of Pol3 for polymerase exchange to occur during DNA-damage--induced mutagenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001771 pubmed publisher..proteasomal degradation of Pol3, the catalytic subunit of the replicative polymerase ?, whereas Pol31 and Pol32, the other two subunits of polymerase ?, are not affected...
- Siebler H, Lada A, Baranovskiy A, Tahirov T, Pavlov Y. A novel variant of DNA polymerase ?, Rev3?C, highlights differential regulation of Pol32 as a subunit of polymerase ? versus ? in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair (Amst). 2014;24:138-149 pubmed publisher..The major replicative DNA polymerase ? (pol ?) shares two accessory subunits, called Pol31/Pol32 in yeast, with pol ?...
- Gao H, Moss D, Parke C, Tatum D, Lustig A. The Ctf18RFC clamp loader is essential for telomere stability in telomerase-negative and mre11 mutant alleles. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88633 pubmed publisher..This Ctf18-based function is likely to contribute another level to telomere size homeostasis. ..
- Burgers P. Eukaryotic DNA polymerases in DNA replication and DNA repair. Chromosoma. 1998;107:218-27 pubmed..The role of DNA polymerase beta in base-excision repair is well established for mammalian systems, but in yeast, DNA polymerase delta appears to fulfill that function. ..
- Chen H, Lisby M, Symington L. RPA coordinates DNA end resection and prevents formation of DNA hairpins. Mol Cell. 2013;50:589-600 pubmed publisher..due to 3' strand loss and the formation of fold-back hairpin structures that required resection initiation and Pol32-dependent DNA synthesis...
- Lebel C, Rosonina E, Sealey D, Pryde F, Lydall D, Maringele L, et al. Telomere maintenance and survival in saccharomyces cerevisiae in the absence of telomerase and RAD52. Genetics. 2009;182:671-84 pubmed publisher..The polymerase-delta subunit Pol32 was dispensable for the maintenance of RAD52-independent survivors...
- Kolodner R, Marsischky G. Eukaryotic DNA mismatch repair. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:89-96 pubmed..MMR proteins function in these processes in conjunction with components of nucleotide excision repair (NER) and, possibly, recombination. ..
- Amin N, Nguyen M, Oh S, Kolodner R. exo1-Dependent mutator mutations: model system for studying functional interactions in mismatch repair. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5142-55 pubmed..with an exo1 mutation, exo1-dependent mutator mutations were obtained in MLH1, PMS1, MSH2, MSH3, POL30 (PCNA), POL32, and RNR1, whereas starting with the weak pms1 allele pms1-A130V, pms1-dependent mutator mutations were identified ..
- Vasianovich Y, Harrington L, Makovets S. Break-induced replication requires DNA damage-induced phosphorylation of Pif1 and leads to telomere lengthening. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004679 pubmed publisher..core DNA damage signaling cascade Mec1-Rad9-Rad53, and the components of the BIR repair pathway - Rad51, Rad52, Pol32, and Pif1...
- Schmidt K, Derry K, Kolodner R. Saccharomyces cerevisiae RRM3, a 5' to 3' DNA helicase, physically interacts with proliferating cell nuclear antigen. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45331-7 pubmed..The results presented here suggest that the RRM3 helicase functions at the replication fork. ..
- Bi X, Yu Q, Siler J, Li C, Khan A. Functions of Fun30 chromatin remodeler in regulating cellular resistance to genotoxic stress. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0121341 pubmed publisher..In addition, we find that the putative ubiquitin-binding CUE domain of Fun30 serves to restrict the ability of Fun30 to hinder MMS- and HU-tolerance in the absence of Rad5. ..
- Minesinger B, Jinks Robertson S. Roles of RAD6 epistasis group members in spontaneous polzeta-dependent translesion synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2005;169:1939-55 pubmed..The smallest subunit of Poldelta, Pol32, is also required for Polzeta-dependent spontaneous mutagenesis, suggesting a cooperative role between Poldelta ..
- Cardone J, Brendel M, Henriques J. DNA repair by polymerase delta in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is not controlled by the proliferating cell nuclear antigen-like Rad17/Mec3/Ddc1 complex. Genet Mol Res. 2008;7:127-32 pubmed..Repair of UVC and 8-MOP + UVA-induced DNA damage via polymerase delta thus occurs independent of the Rad17/Mec3/Ddc1 checkpoint clamp. ..
- Jain R, Hammel M, Johnson R, Prakash L, Prakash S, Aggarwal A. Structural insights into yeast DNA polymerase delta by small angle X-ray scattering. J Mol Biol. 2009;394:377-82 pubmed publisher..Poldelta from Saccharomyces cerevisiae is composed of three subunits: Pol3, Pol31, and Pol32. Despite the elucidation of the structures and models of the individual subunits (or portions, thereof), the ..
- Putnam C, Hayes T, Kolodner R. Specific pathways prevent duplication-mediated genome rearrangements. Nature. 2009;460:984-9 pubmed publisher..This explains how extensive genome instability is prevented in eukaryotic cells whose genomes contain numerous divergent repeated sequences...
- Huang M, Le Douarin B, Henry C, Galibert F. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein YJR043C (Pol32) interacts with the catalytic subunit of DNA polymerase alpha and is required for cell cycle progression in G2/M. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;260:541-50 pubmed
- Felipe Abrio I, Lafuente Barquero J, GarcÃa Rubio M, Aguilera A. RNA polymerase II contributes to preventing transcription-mediated replication fork stalls. EMBO J. 2015;34:236-50 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that the RNAPII or ancillary factors actively help prevent transcription-associated genome instability. ..
- Mayle R, Campbell I, Beck C, Yu Y, Wilson M, Shaw C, et al. DNA REPAIR. Mus81 and converging forks limit the mutagenicity of replication fork breakage. Science. 2015;349:742-7 pubmed publisher..Break-induced replication (BIR), a genome rearrangement-prone repair mechanism that requires the Pol32/POLD3 subunit of eukaryotic DNA PolÎ´, was proposed to repair broken forks, but how genome destabilization is ..
- Xiong L, Chen X, Silver H, Ahmed N, Johnson E. Deficient SUMO attachment to Flp recombinase leads to homologous recombination-dependent hyperamplification of the yeast 2 microm circle plasmid. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1241-51 pubmed publisher..This work also illustrates the importance of using cir(o) strains when studying mutants that affect the yeast SUMO pathway, to avoid confusing direct functions of the SUMO pathway with secondary effects of 2 microm amplification. ..