Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: POB3
Description: FACT complex subunit POB3
Alias: FACT complex subunit POB3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Nair D, Ge Z, Mersfelder E, Parthun M. Genetic interactions between POB3 and the acetylation of newly synthesized histones. Curr Genet. 2011;57:271-86 pubmed publisher..indicate that the yFACT complex plays an important role in chromatin assembly including the observation that the pob3 Q308K allele is synthetically lethal with an allele of histone H4 that prevents the diacetylation of newly ..
- Farnung L, Vos S, Wigge C, Cramer P. Nucleosome-Chd1 structure and implications for chromatin remodelling. Nature. 2017;550:539-542 pubmed publisher..Translocation may involve ratcheting of the two lobes of the ATPase, which is trapped in a pre- or post-translocation state in the absence or presence, respectively, of transition state-mimicking compounds. ..
- Costa P, Arndt K. Synthetic lethal interactions suggest a role for the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rtf1 protein in transcription elongation. Genetics. 2000;156:535-47 pubmed..The screen uncovered mutations in SRB5, CTK1, FCP1, and POB3. These genes encode an Srb/mediator component, a CTD kinase, a CTD phosphatase, and a protein involved in the ..
- Formosa T, Eriksson P, Wittmeyer J, Ginn J, Yu Y, Stillman D. Spt16-Pob3 and the HMG protein Nhp6 combine to form the nucleosome-binding factor SPN. EMBO J. 2001;20:3506-17 pubmedYeast Spt16/Cdc68 and Pob3 form a heterodimer that acts in both DNA replication and transcription. This is supported by studies of new alleles of SPT16 described here...
- Jeronimo C, Watanabe S, Kaplan C, Peterson C, Robert F. The Histone Chaperones FACT and Spt6 Restrict H2A.Z from Intragenic Locations. Mol Cell. 2015;58:1113-23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, chaperone-mediated H2A.Z confinement is crucial for restricting the chromatin signature of gene promoters that otherwise may license or promote cryptic transcription. ..
- Zunder R, Antczak A, Berger J, Rine J. Two surfaces on the histone chaperone Rtt106 mediate histone binding, replication, and silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E144-53 pubmed publisher..By mutating analogous regions in the structurally homologous chromatin-reorganizer Pob3, we revealed a conserved histone-binding function for a basic patch found on both proteins...
- Biswas D, Dutta Biswas R, Mitra D, Shibata Y, Strahl B, Formosa T, et al. Opposing roles for Set2 and yFACT in regulating TBP binding at promoters. EMBO J. 2006;25:4479-89 pubmedPrevious work links histone methylation by Set2 with transcriptional elongation. yFACT (Spt16-Pob3 and Nhp6) reorganizes nucleosomes and functions in both transcriptional initiation and elongation...
- Han J, Li Q, McCullough L, Kettelkamp C, Formosa T, Zhang Z. Ubiquitylation of FACT by the cullin-E3 ligase Rtt101 connects FACT to DNA replication. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1485-90 pubmed publisher..Origin function is compromised in cells lacking Rtt101 or with an Spt16 mutation. These findings identify Spt16 as an Rtt101 substrate, and suggest that Spt16 ubiquitylation is important for FACT to function during DNA replication. ..
- Schlesinger M, Formosa T. POB3 is required for both transcription and replication in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;155:1593-606 pubmedSpt16 and Pob3 form stable heterodimers in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and homologous proteins have also been purified as complexes from diverse eukaryotes...
- Zhou Y, Wang T. A coordinated temporal interplay of nucleosome reorganization factor, sister chromatin cohesion factor, and DNA polymerase alpha facilitates DNA replication. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9568-79 pubmed
- Valieva M, Armeev G, Kudryashova K, Gerasimova N, Shaytan A, Kulaeva O, et al. Large-scale ATP-independent nucleosome unfolding by a histone chaperone. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:1111-1116 pubmed publisher..Thus, FACT-dependent nucleosome unfolding modulates the accessibility of nucleosomal DNA, and this activity is an important function of FACT in vivo. ..
- Kemble D, McCullough L, Whitby F, Formosa T, Hill C. FACT Disrupts Nucleosome Structure by Binding H2A-H2B with Conserved Peptide Motifs. Mol Cell. 2015;60:294-306 pubmed publisherFACT, a heterodimer of Spt16 and Pob3, is an essential histone chaperone. We show that the H2A-H2B binding activity that is central to FACT function resides in short acidic regions near the C termini of each subunit...
- Maculins T, Nkosi P, Nishikawa H, Labib K. Tethering of SCF(Dia2) to the Replisome Promotes Efficient Ubiquitylation and Disassembly of the CMG Helicase. Curr Biol. 2015;25:2254-9 pubmed publisher..Residual ubiquitylation of Mcm7 in dia2-Î”TPR cells is still CMG specific, highlighting the complex regulation of the final stages of chromosome replication, about which much still remains to be learned. ..
- Sengupta S, van Deursen F, De Piccoli G, Labib K. Dpb2 integrates the leading-strand DNA polymerase into the eukaryotic replisome. Curr Biol. 2013;23:543-52 pubmed publisher..Second, it plays an equally important role after initiation, because it links the leading strand DNA polymerase to the Cdc45-MCM-GINS helicase within the replisome. ..
- Brewster N, Johnston G, Singer R. A bipartite yeast SSRP1 analog comprised of Pob3 and Nhp6 proteins modulates transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:3491-502 pubmed..The CP components Cdc68 and Pob3 closely resemble the FACT components, except that the C-terminal high-mobility group (HMG) box domain of SSRP1 is ..
- McCullough L, Connell Z, Petersen C, Formosa T. The Abundant Histone Chaperones Spt6 and FACT Collaborate to Assemble, Inspect, and Maintain Chromatin Structure in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2015;201:1031-45 pubmed publisher..We discuss these observations in terms of different potential roles for chaperones in both promoting the assembly of nucleosomes and monitoring their quality. ..
- Jeronimo C, Robert F. Histone chaperones FACT and Spt6 prevent histone variants from turning into histone deviants. Bioessays. 2016;38:420-6 pubmed publisher..Based on these two examples, we propose that the establishment and maintenance of histone variant genomic distributions depend on a transcription-coupled epigenome editing (or surveillance) function of histone chaperones. ..
- McCullough L, Poe B, Connell Z, Xin H, Formosa T. The FACT histone chaperone guides histone H4 into its nucleosomal conformation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2013;195:101-13 pubmed publisherThe pob3-Q308K mutation alters the small subunit of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae histone/nucleosome chaperone Facilitates Chromatin Transactions (FACT), causing defects in both transcription and DNA replication...
- Hoffmann C, Neumann H. In Vivo Mapping of FACT-Histone Interactions Identifies a Role of Pob3 C-terminus in H2A-H2B Binding. ACS Chem Biol. 2015;10:2753-63 pubmed publisher..The complex consists of two major subunits, Spt16 and SSRP1/Pob3 in mammals and yeast, which engage histones and DNA by multiple contacts...
- Tessarz P, Santos Rosa H, Robson S, Sylvestersen K, Nelson C, Nielsen M, et al. Glutamine methylation in histone H2A is an RNA-polymerase-I-dedicated modification. Nature. 2014;505:564-8 pubmed publisher..Together these data identify glutamine methylation of H2A as the first histone epigenetic mark dedicated to a specific RNA polymerase and define its function as a regulator of FACT interaction with nucleosomes. ..
- Simic R, Lindstrom D, Tran H, Roinick K, Costa P, Johnson A, et al. Chromatin remodeling protein Chd1 interacts with transcription elongation factors and localizes to transcribed genes. EMBO J. 2003;22:1846-56 pubmed..studies that Chd1 also interacts with components of two essential elongation factors, Spt4-Spt5 and Spt16-Pob3. Thirdly, we demonstrate that deletion of CHD1 suppresses a cold-sensitive spt5 mutation that is also suppressed by ..
- Biswas D, Yu Y, Prall M, Formosa T, Stillman D. The yeast FACT complex has a role in transcriptional initiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5812-22 pubmed..Thus, yFACT functions in establishing transcription initiation complexes in addition to the previously described role in elongation. ..
- Smart S, Mackintosh S, Edmondson R, Taverna S, Tackett A. Mapping the local protein interactome of the NuA3 histone acetyltransferase. Protein Sci. 2009;18:1987-97 pubmed publisher..These novel, physical associations with yFACT, RSC, and Nap1 provide insight into the mechanism of NuA3-associated transcription and chromatin regulation. ..
- Takahata S, Yu Y, Stillman D. The E2F functional analogue SBF recruits the Rpd3(L) HDAC, via Whi5 and Stb1, and the FACT chromatin reorganizer, to yeast G1 cyclin promoters. EMBO J. 2009;28:3378-89 pubmed publisher..Thus, SBF recruits complexes to promoters that either enhance (FACT) or repress (Rpd3L) accessibility to chromatin, and also recruits the kinase that activates START. ..
- Brewster N, Johnston G, Singer R. Characterization of the CP complex, an abundant dimer of Cdc68 and Pob3 proteins that regulates yeast transcriptional activation and chromatin repression. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21972-9 pubmed..Here we report that Cdc68 is found in association with another essential nuclear protein, Pob3, in what we term the CP complex...
- Yang J, Zhang X, Feng J, Leng H, Li S, Xiao J, et al. The Histone Chaperone FACT Contributes to DNA Replication-Coupled Nucleosome Assembly. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1128-1141 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the histone chaperone FACT (facilitates chromatin transactions), consisting of Spt16 and Pob3, promotes newly synthesized histone H3-H4 deposition...
- Kurat C, Lambert J, van Dyk D, Tsui K, van Bakel H, Kaluarachchi S, et al. Restriction of histone gene transcription to S phase by phosphorylation of a chromatin boundary protein. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2489-501 pubmed publisher..Our study identified the chromatin boundary protein Yta7 as a key regulator that links S-phase kinases with RNAPII function at cell cycle-regulated histone gene promoters. ..
- Herrera Moyano E, Mergui X, Garc a Rubio M, Barroso S, Aguilera A. The yeast and human FACT chromatin-reorganizing complexes solve R-loop-mediated transcription-replication conflicts. Genes Dev. 2014;28:735-48 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a key function of FACT in the resolution of R-loop-mediated transcription-replication conflicts, likely associated with a specific chromatin organization...
- Wittmeyer J, Formosa T. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase alpha catalytic subunit interacts with Cdc68/Spt16 and with Pob3, a protein similar to an HMG1-like protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:4178-90 pubmed..to the catalytic subunit of DNA polymerase alpha (Pol1 protein) are encoded by the essential genes CDC68/SPT16 and POB3. The binding of both proteins was enhanced when extracts lacking a previously characterized polymerase binding ..
- van Deursen F, Sengupta S, De Piccoli G, Sanchez Diaz A, Labib K. Mcm10 associates with the loaded DNA helicase at replication origins and defines a novel step in its activation. EMBO J. 2012;31:2195-206 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Mcm10 is required for a novel step during activation of the Cdc45-MCM-GINS helicase at DNA replication origins. ..
- Deyter G, Biggins S. The FACT complex interacts with the E3 ubiquitin ligase Psh1 to prevent ectopic localization of CENP-A. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1815-26 pubmed publisher..The Spt16 subunit of the FACT complex binds to Psh1 (Pob3/Spt16/histone), an E3 ubiquitin ligase that targets CENP-A(Cse4) for degradation...
- Zheng S, Crickard J, Srikanth A, Reese J. A highly conserved region within H2B is important for FACT to act on nucleosomes. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:303-14 pubmed publisher..We have uncovered a previously unappreciated role for the HBR domain in regulating chromatin structure and have provided insight into how FACT acts on nucleosomes. ..
- Biswas D, Takahata S, Xin H, Dutta Biswas R, Yu Y, Formosa T, et al. A role for Chd1 and Set2 in negatively regulating DNA replication in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2008;178:649-59 pubmed publisher..The pob3 defect in S-phase progression is suppressed by set2 or chd1 mutations, suggesting that Set2 and Chd1 have specific ..
- Takahata S, Yu Y, Stillman D. FACT and Asf1 regulate nucleosome dynamics and coactivator binding at the HO promoter. Mol Cell. 2009;34:405-15 pubmed publisher..The Swi/Snf, SAGA, and Mediator coactivators bind first to the far upstream promoter region and subsequently to a promoter proximal region, and FACT and Asf1 are both required for this coactivator re-recruitment. ..
- Squazzo S, Costa P, Lindstrom D, Kumer K, Simic R, Jennings J, et al. The Paf1 complex physically and functionally associates with transcription elongation factors in vivo. EMBO J. 2002;21:1764-74 pubmed..Further analysis revealed allele-specific genetic interactions between Paf1 complex members, Spt4-Spt5, and Spt16-Pob3, the yeast counterpart of the human elongation factor FACT...
- Rhoades A, Ruone S, Formosa T. Structural features of nucleosomes reorganized by yeast FACT and its HMG box component, Nhp6. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3907-17 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae Spt16/Cdc68, Pob3, and Nhp6 proteins (SPN or yFACT) bind to and alter nucleosomes in vitro, providing a potential explanation for their importance in both transcription and replication in vivo...
- Maric M, Maculins T, De Piccoli G, Labib K. Cdc48 and a ubiquitin ligase drive disassembly of the CMG helicase at the end of DNA replication. Science. 2014;346:1253596 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the end of chromosome replication in eukaryotes is controlled in a similarly complex fashion to the much-better-characterized initiation step. ..
- Biswas D, Dutta Biswas R, Stillman D. Chd1 and yFACT act in opposition in regulating transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6279-87 pubmed..Deletion of CHD1 suppresses the temperature-sensitive growth defect caused by mutations in either SPT16 or POB3, which encode subunits of the yFACT chromatin-reorganizing complex...