Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PHB2
Description: prohibitin subunit PHB2
Alias: prohibitin subunit PHB2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wang X, Zuo X, Kucejova B, Chen X. Reduced cytosolic protein synthesis suppresses mitochondrial degeneration. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1090-7 pubmed..Our finding thus establishes a link between protein homeostasis (proteostasis), cellular bioenergetics and mitochondrial maintenance during ageing. ..
- Tatsuta T, Model K, Langer T. Formation of membrane-bound ring complexes by prohibitins in mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:248-59 pubmed..Two prohibitin homologues, Phb1 and Phb2, assemble into a high molecular weight complex of approximately 1...
- Coates P, Jamieson D, Smart K, Prescott A, Hall P. The prohibitin family of mitochondrial proteins regulate replicative lifespan. Curr Biol. 1997;7:607-10 pubmed..Deletion of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologues, PHB1 and PHB2, results in a decreased replicative lifespan and a defect in mitochondrial membrane potential...
- Kirchman P, Miceli M, West R, Jiang J, Kim S, Jazwinski S. Prohibitins and Ras2 protein cooperate in the maintenance of mitochondrial function during yeast aging. Acta Biochim Pol. 2003;50:1039-56 pubmed..This deleterious effect was suppressed by the deletion of the RAS2 gene. The expression of PHB1 and PHB2 declined gradually up to 5-fold during the life span...
- Piper P, Jones G, Bringloe D, Harris N, MacLean M, Mollapour M. The shortened replicative life span of prohibitin mutants of yeast appears to be due to defective mitochondrial segregation in old mother cells. Aging Cell. 2002;1:149-57 pubmed..The prohibitins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Phb1 and Phb2, have strong sequence similarity with their human counterparts prohibitin and BAP37, making yeast a good model ..
- Nijtmans L, de Jong L, Artal Sanz M, Coates P, Berden J, Back J, et al. Prohibitins act as a membrane-bound chaperone for the stabilization of mitochondrial proteins. EMBO J. 2000;19:2444-51 pubmed..Pulse-chase experiments with mitochondria isolated from phb1/phb2-null and PHB1/2 overexpressing cells show that the Phb1/2 complex is able to stabilize newly synthesized ..
- Berger K, Yaffe M. Prohibitin family members interact genetically with mitochondrial inheritance components in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4043-52 pubmed..In otherwise wild-type genetic backgrounds, null mutations in PHB1 and PHB2 did not confer any obvious phenotypes...