Gene Symbol: PEX6
Description: AAA family ATPase peroxin 6
Alias: PAS8, AAA family ATPase peroxin 6
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Nuttall J, Motley A, Hettema E. Deficiency of the exportomer components Pex1, Pex6, and Pex15 causes enhanced pexophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Autophagy. 2014;10:835-45 pubmed publisher..mutants disturbed in peroxisomal protein import, and found that a deficiency in the exportomer subunits Pex1, Pex6, and Pex15 results in enhanced turnover of peroxisomal membrane structures compared with other mutants...
- Gardner B, Chowdhury S, Lander G, Martin A. The Pex1/Pex6 complex is a heterohexameric AAA+ motor with alternating and highly coordinated subunits. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:1375-88 pubmed publisherPex1 and Pex6 are Type-2 AAA+ ATPases required for the de novo biogenesis of peroxisomes. Mutations in Pex1 and Pex6 account for the majority of the most severe forms of peroxisome biogenesis disorders in humans...
- Jungwirth H, Ring J, Mayer T, Schauer A, Buttner S, Eisenberg T, et al. Loss of peroxisome function triggers necrosis. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2882-6 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that in yeast deletion of PEX6, encoding a protein involved in a key step of peroxisomal protein import, results in an increased accumulation of ..
- Knoops K, de Boer R, Kram A, van der Klei I. Yeast pex1 cells contain peroxisomal ghosts that import matrix proteins upon reintroduction of Pex1. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:955-62 pubmed publisherPex1 and Pex6 are two AAA-ATPases that play a crucial role in peroxisome biogenesis...
- Platta H, Grunau S, Rosenkranz K, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Functional role of the AAA peroxins in dislocation of the cycling PTS1 receptor back to the cytosol. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:817-22 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that the AAA peroxins mediate the ATP-dependent dislocation of the peroxisomal targeting signal-1 (PTS1) receptor from the peroxisomal membrane to the cytosol. ..
- Motley A, Galvin P, Ekal L, Nuttall J, Hettema E. Reevaluation of the role of Pex1 and dynamin-related proteins in peroxisome membrane biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:1041-56 pubmed publisher..This model proposes a role in vesicle fusion for the Pex1/Pex6 complex, which has an established role in matrix protein import...
- Voorn Brouwer T, van der Leij I, Hemrika W, Distel B, Tabak H. Sequence of the PAS8 gene, the product of which is essential for biogenesis of peroxisomes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1216:325-8 pubmed..Here, we report the sequence of the complementing gene (PAS8), coding for a protein of 1030 amino acids that appears to be a novel member of the AAA-protein family which also ..
- Blok N, Tan D, Wang R, Penczek P, Baker D, DiMaio F, et al. Unique double-ring structure of the peroxisomal Pex1/Pex6 ATPase complex revealed by cryo-electron microscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E4017-25 pubmed publisher..Here, we report structures of the Pex1/Pex6 complex; mutations in these proteins frequently cause peroxisomal diseases...
- Grimm I, Saffian D, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Nucleotide-dependent assembly of the peroxisomal receptor export complex. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19838 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that receptor release in peroxisomal protein import is associated with a nucleotide-depending Pex1/6p-cycle of Pex15p-binding and release. ..