Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PEX13
Description: peroxin PEX13
Alias: PAS20, peroxin PEX13
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Effelsberg D, Cruz Zaragoza L, Tonillo J, Schliebs W, Erdmann R. Role of Pex21p for Piggyback Import of Gpd1p and Pnc1p into Peroxisomes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:25333-42 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the specific transport of these two enzymes into peroxisomes suggests a novel regulatory role for peroxisomes under various stress conditions. ..
- Hensel A, Beck S, El Magraoui F, Platta H, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Cysteine-dependent ubiquitination of Pex18p is linked to cargo translocation across the peroxisomal membrane. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43495-505 pubmed publisher..This finding indicates that Pex18p export is linked to cargo translocation, which supports the idea of an export-driven import of proteins into peroxisomes. ..
- Girzalsky W, Rehling P, Stein K, Kipper J, Blank L, Kunau W, et al. Involvement of Pex13p in Pex14p localization and peroxisomal targeting signal 2-dependent protein import into peroxisomes. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:1151-62 pubmed..We also found Pex13p to be required for peroxisomal association of Pex14p, yet the SH3 domain of Pex13p may not provide the only binding site for Pex14p at the peroxisomal membrane...
- Grimm I, Saffian D, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Nucleotide-dependent assembly of the peroxisomal receptor export complex. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19838 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that receptor release in peroxisomal protein import is associated with a nucleotide-depending Pex1/6p-cycle of Pex15p-binding and release. ..
- Schell Steven A, Stein K, Amoros M, Landgraf C, Volkmer Engert R, Rottensteiner H, et al. Identification of a novel, intraperoxisomal pex14-binding site in pex13: association of pex13 with the docking complex is essential for peroxisomal matrix protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3007-18 pubmed..Associated with this complex is a fraction of Pex13, another essential component of the import machinery...
- Montilla Martinez M, Beck S, KlÃ¼mper J, Meinecke M, Schliebs W, Wagner R, et al. Distinct Pores for Peroxisomal Import of PTS1 and PTS2 Proteins. Cell Rep. 2015;13:2126-34 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that import of PTS1 and PTS2 proteins does not converge at the peroxisomal membrane as previously anticipated but is performed by distinct pores. ..
- Albertini M, Girzalsky W, Veenhuis M, Kunau W. Pex12p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a component of a multi-protein complex essential for peroxisomal matrix protein import. Eur J Cell Biol. 2001;80:257-70 pubmed..Our results suggest that Pex12p is a component of the peroxisomal translocation machinery for matrix proteins. ..
- Agne B, Meindl N, Niederhoff K, Einwächter H, Rehling P, Sickmann A, et al. Pex8p: an intraperoxisomal organizer of the peroxisomal import machinery. Mol Cell. 2003;11:635-46 pubmed..We conclude that Pex8p organizes the formation of the larger import complex from the trans side of the peroxisomal membrane and thus might enable functional communication between both sides of the membrane. ..
- Motley A, Galvin P, Ekal L, Nuttall J, Hettema E. Reevaluation of the role of Pex1 and dynamin-related proteins in peroxisome membrane biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:1041-56 pubmed publisher..Our data are compatible with the established primary role of the Pex1/Pex6 complex in matrix protein import and show that peroxisomes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae multiply mainly by growth and division. ..
- van der Zand A, Gent J, Braakman I, Tabak H. Biochemically distinct vesicles from the endoplasmic reticulum fuse to form peroxisomes. Cell. 2012;149:397-409 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a remarkable mechanism to maintain biochemical identity of organelles by transporting crucial components via different routes to their final destination. ..
- Rucktäschel R, Thoms S, Sidorovitch V, Halbach A, Pechlivanis M, Volkmer R, et al. Farnesylation of pex19p is required for its structural integrity and function in peroxisome biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:20885-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, isoprenylation of Pex19p contributes to substrate membrane protein recognition for the topogenesis of PMPs, and our results highlight the importance of lipid modifications in protein-protein interactions. ..
- Platta H, El Magraoui F, Bäumer B, Schlee D, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Pex2 and pex12 function as protein-ubiquitin ligases in peroxisomal protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5505-16 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Pex2 mediates the Ubc4-dependent polyubiquitination whereas Pex12 facilitates the Pex4-dependent monoubiquitination of Pex5. ..
- Rottensteiner H, Kramer A, Lorenzen S, Stein K, Landgraf C, Volkmer Engert R, et al. Peroxisomal membrane proteins contain common Pex19p-binding sites that are an integral part of their targeting signals. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:3406-17 pubmed..By adding the heterologous binding site of Pex11p, peroxisomal targeting of the Pex13p fragment was restored. We conclude that Pex19p-binding sites are well-defined entities that represent an essential part of the mPTS. ..
- Chan A, Schummer A, Fischer S, Schröter T, Cruz Zaragoza L, Bender J, et al. Pex17p-dependent assembly of Pex14p/Dyn2p-subcomplexes of the peroxisomal protein import machinery. Eur J Cell Biol. 2016;95:585-597 pubmed publisher..As dyn2? cells also display reduced peroxisomal function, our data indicate that Dyn2p-dependent formation of the high molecular weight Pex14p-complex is required to maintain peroxisomal function on wild-type level. ..
- Pires J, Hong X, Brockmann C, Volkmer Engert R, Schneider Mergener J, Oschkinat H, et al. The ScPex13p SH3 domain exposes two distinct binding sites for Pex5p and Pex14p. J Mol Biol. 2003;326:1427-35 pubmed..Chemical shift assays revealed the binding sites for Pex5p and Pex14p ligand peptides to be distinct and spatially separated. Competition assays demonstrated that the two ligand peptides can bind simultaneously to the SH3 domain. ..
- Eckert J, Johnsson N. Pex10p links the ubiquitin conjugating enzyme Pex4p to the protein import machinery of the peroxisome. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:3623-34 pubmed..A yeast strain harboring a deletion of PEX3 enabled us to estimate the influence of the peroxisomal membrane on the formation of a subset of the investigated protein-protein interactions. ..
- Kerssen D, Hambruch E, Klaas W, Platta H, de Kruijff B, Erdmann R, et al. Membrane association of the cycling peroxisome import receptor Pex5p. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27003-15 pubmed..Altogether, these data strongly suggest that a translocation-competent state of the PTS1 receptor enters the membrane via protein-lipid interactions before it tightly associates with other peroxins. ..
- Rosenkranz K, Birschmann I, Grunau S, Girzalsky W, Kunau W, Erdmann R. Functional association of the AAA complex and the peroxisomal importomer. FEBS J. 2006;273:3804-15 pubmed
- Girzalsky W, Hoffmann L, Schemenewitz A, Nolte A, Kunau W, Erdmann R. Pex19p-dependent targeting of Pex17p, a peripheral component of the peroxisomal protein import machinery. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:19417-25 pubmed
- Barnett P, Bottger G, Klein A, Tabak H, Distel B. The peroxisomal membrane protein Pex13p shows a novel mode of SH3 interaction. EMBO J. 2000;19:6382-91 pubmed..On the basis of a structural model of the Pex13p-SH3 domain we show that this interaction probably takes place between the RT- and distal loops. Thus, the Pex13p-SH3-Pex5p interaction establishes a novel mode of SH3 interaction. ..
- Schafer A, Kerssen D, Veenhuis M, Kunau W, Schliebs W. Functional similarity between the peroxisomal PTS2 receptor binding protein Pex18p and the N-terminal half of the PTS1 receptor Pex5p. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8895-906 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we propose that the auxiliary proteins of the PTS2 import pathway fulfill roles similar to those of the N-terminal half of Pex5p in the PTS1 import pathway. ..
- Wróblewska J, Cruz Zaragoza L, Yuan W, Schummer A, Chuartzman S, de Boer R, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells lacking Pex3 contain membrane vesicles that harbor a subset of peroxisomal membrane proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1656-1667 pubmed publisher..At the vesicles, Pex14 assembles with other peroxins (Pex13, Pex17, and Pex5) to form a complex with a composition similar to the PTS1 import pore in wild-type cells...
- Effelsberg D, Cruz Zaragoza L, Schliebs W, Erdmann R. Pex9p is a new yeast peroxisomal import receptor for PTS1-containing proteins. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:4057-4066 pubmed..The identification of different import routes into peroxisomes contributes to the molecular understanding of how regulated protein targeting can alter the function of organelles according to cellular needs. ..