Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PEP5
Description: tethering complex subunit PEP5
Alias: END1, VAM1, VPL9, VPS11, VPT11, tethering complex subunit PEP5
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wang C, Stromhaug P, Kauffman E, Weisman L, Klionsky D. Yeast homotypic vacuole fusion requires the Ccz1-Mon1 complex during the tethering/docking stage. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:973-85 pubmed..Accordingly, we propose that the Ccz1-Mon1 complex is critical for the Ypt7-dependent tethering/docking stage leading to the formation of a trans-SNARE complex and subsequent vacuole fusion. ..
- Stroupe C, Collins K, Fratti R, Wickner W. Purification of active HOPS complex reveals its affinities for phosphoinositides and the SNARE Vam7p. EMBO J. 2006;25:1579-89 pubmed..Concentration of the HOPS complex at these microdomains may be a key factor for coupling Rab GTPase activation to SNARE complex assembly. ..
- Pawelec A, Arsić J, Kölling R. Mapping of Vps21 and HOPS binding sites in Vps8 and effect of binding site mutants on endocytic trafficking. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:602-10 pubmed publisher..In contrast, deletions that abolished Vps21 binding showed only a modest effect. This suggests that the Vps21 interaction is not essential for endosomal trafficking but may be important for some other aspect of Vps8 function. ..
- Rieder S, Emr S. A novel RING finger protein complex essential for a late step in protein transport to the yeast vacuole. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:2307-27 pubmed..Thus we propose that the class C Vps proteins are components of a hetero-oligomeric protein complex that mediates the delivery of multiple transport intermediates to the vacuole. ..
- Markgraf D, Ahnert F, Arlt H, Mari M, Peplowska K, Epp N, et al. The CORVET subunit Vps8 cooperates with the Rab5 homolog Vps21 to induce clustering of late endosomal compartments. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5276-89 pubmed publisher..These data thus suggest that the CORVET complex is built of subunits with distinct activities and potentially, their sequential assembly could regulate tethering and successive fusion at the late endosomes. ..
- Plemel R, Lobingier B, Brett C, Angers C, Nickerson D, Paulsel A, et al. Subunit organization and Rab interactions of Vps-C protein complexes that control endolysosomal membrane traffic. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1353-63 pubmed publisher..that the CORVET- and HOPS-specific subunits Vps3 and Vps39 bind the Vps-C core through a common region within the Vps11 C-terminal domain (CTD)...
- Cabrera M, Langemeyer L, Mari M, Rethmeier R, Orban I, Perz A, et al. Phosphorylation of a membrane curvature-sensing motif switches function of the HOPS subunit Vps41 in membrane tethering. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:845-59 pubmed publisher..This multifunctional tethering factor thus discriminates between trafficking routes by switching from a curvature-sensing to a coat recognition mode upon phosphorylation. ..
- Ostrowicz C, Bröcker C, Ahnert F, Nordmann M, Lachmann J, Peplowska K, et al. Defined subunit arrangement and rab interactions are required for functionality of the HOPS tethering complex. Traffic. 2010;11:1334-46 pubmed publisher..At the center of HOPS and CORVET, the class C proteins Vps11 and Vps18 connect the two parts, and Vps11 binds both HOPS Vps39 and CORVET Vps3 via the same binding site...
- Angers C, Merz A. HOPS interacts with Apl5 at the vacuole membrane and is required for consumption of AP-3 transport vesicles. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4563-74 pubmed publisher..We propose that AP-3 remains associated with budded vesicles, interacts with Vps41 and HOPS upon vesicle docking at the vacuole, and finally dissociates during docking or fusion. ..
- Peplowska K, Markgraf D, Ostrowicz C, Bange G, Ungermann C. The CORVET tethering complex interacts with the yeast Rab5 homolog Vps21 and is involved in endo-lysosomal biogenesis. Dev Cell. 2007;12:739-50 pubmed..Both complexes share the four class C Vps proteins: Vps11, Vps16, Vps18, and Vps33...
- Subramanian S, Woolford C, Jones E. The Sec1/Munc18 protein, Vps33p, functions at the endosome and the vacuole of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2593-605 pubmed..This is the first report demonstrating the involvement of a single syntaxin with two SM proteins at the same organelle. ..
- Peterson M, Emr S. The class C Vps complex functions at multiple stages of the vacuolar transport pathway. Traffic. 2001;2:476-86 pubmedThe Class C Vps complex, consisting of Vps11, Vps16, Vps18, and Vps33, is required for SNARE-mediated membrane fusion at the lysosome-like yeast vacuole...
- Chou H, Dukovski D, Chambers M, Reinisch K, Walz T. CATCHR, HOPS and CORVET tethering complexes share a similar architecture. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:761-3 pubmed publisher..We also show that HOPS, a tethering complex acting in the endolysosomal pathway, shares a similar architecture, thus suggesting that multisubunit tethering complexes use related structural frameworks. ..
- Behrmann H, LÃ¼rick A, Kuhlee A, Balderhaar H, BrÃ¶cker C, KÃ¼mmel D, et al. Structural identification of the Vps18 Î²-propeller reveals a critical role in the HOPS complex stability and function. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:33503-12 pubmed publisher..14 Ã…. The Vps18 N-terminal domain can interact with the N-terminal part of Vps11 and also binds to lipids...
- Conibear E, Stevens T. Vps52p, Vps53p, and Vps54p form a novel multisubunit complex required for protein sorting at the yeast late Golgi. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:305-23 pubmed..The Vps52/53/54 complex joins a growing list of distinct multisubunit complexes that regulate membrane-trafficking events. ..
- Karunakaran S, Fratti R. The lipid composition and physical properties of the yeast vacuole affect the hemifusion-fusion transition. Traffic. 2013;14:650-62 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that the physical properties and the lipid composition of the membrane affect the function of SNAREs in promoting the hemifusion-fusion transition. ..
- Kulkarni A, Alpadi K, Namjoshi S, Peters C. A tethering complex dimer catalyzes trans-SNARE complex formation in intracellular membrane fusion. Bioarchitecture. 2012;2:59-69 pubmed..Here we report a novel finding that a HOPS tethering complex dimer catalyzes Rab GTPase-dependent formation of a topologically preferred QbQcR-Qa trans-SNARE complex. ..
- Singh R, Gonzalez M, Kabbaj M, Gunjan A. Novel E3 ubiquitin ligases that regulate histone protein levels in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36295 pubmed publisher..These E3 ligases are Pep5, Snt2 as well as two previously uncharacterized Open Reading Frames (ORFs) YKR017C and YDR266C that we have named ..
- Zurita Martinez S, Puria R, Pan X, Boeke J, Cardenas M. Efficient Tor signaling requires a functional class C Vps protein complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;176:2139-50 pubmed
- Balderhaar H, Lachmann J, Yavavli E, Bröcker C, Lürick A, Ungermann C. The CORVET complex promotes tethering and fusion of Rab5/Vps21-positive membranes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3823-8 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that CORVET is a tethering complex that promotes fusion of Rab5-positive membranes and thus facilitates receptor down-regulation and recycling at the late endosome. ..
- Kulkarni A, Alpadi K, Sirupangi T, Peters C. A dynamin homolog promotes the transition from hemifusion to content mixing in intracellular membrane fusion. Traffic. 2014;15:558-71 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel concept that Vps1, through its oligomerization and SNARE domain binding, promotes the hemifusion-content mixing transition in yeast vacuole fusion by increasing the number of trans-SNAREs. ..
- Collins K, Thorngren N, Fratti R, Wickner W. Sec17p and HOPS, in distinct SNARE complexes, mediate SNARE complex disruption or assembly for fusion. EMBO J. 2005;24:1775-86 pubmed..Sec17p may displace HOPS from SNAREs to permit subsequent rounds of fusion. ..
- Orr A, Wickner W, Rusin S, Kettenbach A, Zick M. Yeast vacuolar HOPS, regulated by its kinase, exploits affinities for acidic lipids and Rab:GTP for membrane binding and to catalyze tethering and fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:305-15 pubmed publisher..After phosphorylation by the vacuolar kinase Yck3p, phospho-HOPS needs both Ypt7p:GTP and acidic lipids to support fusion. ..
- Ho R, Stroupe C. The HOPS/Class C Vps Complex Tethers High-Curvature Membranes via a Direct Protein-Membrane Interaction. Traffic. 2016;17:1078-90 pubmed publisher..We propose that HOPS localizes via the Vps41p ALPS motif to these high-curvature regions. There, HOPS binds via Vps39p to Ypt7p in an apposed vacuole membrane. ..