Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PEP3
Description: tethering complex subunit PEP3
Alias: VAM8, VPS18, VPT18, tethering complex subunit PEP3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Starai V, Hickey C, Wickner W. HOPS proofreads the trans-SNARE complex for yeast vacuole fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2500-8 pubmed publisher..This is the most direct evidence to date that HOPS is directly involved in the fusion event. ..
- Srivastava A, Woolford C, Jones E. Pep3p/Pep5p complex: a putative docking factor at multiple steps of vesicular transport to the vacuole of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:105-22 pubmed..To understand further the cellular roles of Pep3p and Pep5p, we isolated and characterized a set of pep3 conditional mutants...
- Angers C, Merz A. HOPS interacts with Apl5 at the vacuole membrane and is required for consumption of AP-3 transport vesicles. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4563-74 pubmed publisher..We propose that AP-3 remains associated with budded vesicles, interacts with Vps41 and HOPS upon vesicle docking at the vacuole, and finally dissociates during docking or fusion. ..
- Plemel R, Lobingier B, Brett C, Angers C, Nickerson D, Paulsel A, et al. Subunit organization and Rab interactions of Vps-C protein complexes that control endolysosomal membrane traffic. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1353-63 pubmed publisher..Biochemical and genetic experiments demonstrate the importance of these regions, revealing the Vps11 CTD as a key integrator of Vps-C complex assembly, Rab signaling, and endosomal and lysosomal traffic. ..
- Sato T, Rehling P, Peterson M, Emr S. Class C Vps protein complex regulates vacuolar SNARE pairing and is required for vesicle docking/fusion. Mol Cell. 2000;6:661-71 pubmedIn yeast, the Class C Vps protein complex (C-Vps complex), composed of Vps11, Vps16, Vps18, and Vps33, functions in Golgi-to-vacuole protein transport...
- Behrmann H, LÃ¼rick A, Kuhlee A, Balderhaar H, BrÃ¶cker C, KÃ¼mmel D, et al. Structural identification of the Vps18 Î²-propeller reveals a critical role in the HOPS complex stability and function. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:33503-12 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Vps18 indeed has a seven-bladed Î²-propeller as its N-terminal domain by revealing its structure at 2.14 Ã…...
- Preston R, Manolson M, Becherer K, Weidenhammer E, Kirkpatrick D, Wright R, et al. Isolation and characterization of PEP3, a gene required for vacuolar biogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:5801-12 pubmed..Sequence identity established that PEP3 and VPS18 (J. S. Robinson, T. R. Graham, and S. D. Emr, Mol. Cell. Biol. 11:5813-5824, 1991) are the same gene.
- Cabrera M, Ostrowicz C, Mari M, LaGrassa T, Reggiori F, Ungermann C. Vps41 phosphorylation and the Rab Ypt7 control the targeting of the HOPS complex to endosome-vacuole fusion sites. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1937-48 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Vps41 phosphorylation fine-tunes the organization of vacuole fusion sites and provide evidence for a fusion "hot spot" on the vacuole limiting membrane. ..
- Zurita Martinez S, Puria R, Pan X, Boeke J, Cardenas M. Efficient Tor signaling requires a functional class C Vps protein complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;176:2139-50 pubmed..Remarkably, addition of glutamate or glutamine restores viability to a tor1 pep3 mutant strain...
- Orr A, Wickner W, Rusin S, Kettenbach A, Zick M. Yeast vacuolar HOPS, regulated by its kinase, exploits affinities for acidic lipids and Rab:GTP for membrane binding and to catalyze tethering and fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:305-15 pubmed publisher..After phosphorylation by the vacuolar kinase Yck3p, phospho-HOPS needs both Ypt7p:GTP and acidic lipids to support fusion. ..
- Ho R, Stroupe C. The HOPS/Class C Vps Complex Tethers High-Curvature Membranes via a Direct Protein-Membrane Interaction. Traffic. 2016;17:1078-90 pubmed publisher..We propose that HOPS localizes via the Vps41p ALPS motif to these high-curvature regions. There, HOPS binds via Vps39p to Ypt7p in an apposed vacuole membrane. ..
- Eguez L, Chung Y, Kuchibhatla A, Paidhungat M, Garrett S. Yeast Mn2+ transporter, Smf1p, is regulated by ubiquitin-dependent vacuolar protein sorting. Genetics. 2004;167:107-17 pubmed..Because Smf1p is ubiquitinated in vivo, we propose that Smf1p is targeted to the vacuole for degradation by ubiquitination-dependent protein sorting. ..
- Chou H, Dukovski D, Chambers M, Reinisch K, Walz T. CATCHR, HOPS and CORVET tethering complexes share a similar architecture. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:761-3 pubmed publisher..We also show that HOPS, a tethering complex acting in the endolysosomal pathway, shares a similar architecture, thus suggesting that multisubunit tethering complexes use related structural frameworks. ..
- Groll M, Ditzel L, Lowe J, Stock D, Bochtler M, Bartunik H, et al. Structure of 20S proteasome from yeast at 2.4 A resolution. Nature. 1997;386:463-71 pubmed
- Balderhaar H, Lachmann J, Yavavli E, Bröcker C, Lürick A, Ungermann C. The CORVET complex promotes tethering and fusion of Rab5/Vps21-positive membranes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3823-8 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that CORVET is a tethering complex that promotes fusion of Rab5-positive membranes and thus facilitates receptor down-regulation and recycling at the late endosome. ..
- Jun Y, Thorngren N, Starai V, Fratti R, Collins K, Wickner W. Reversible, cooperative reactions of yeast vacuole docking. EMBO J. 2006;25:5260-9 pubmed..Docked vacuoles finally assemble SNARE complexes, yet still require physiological temperature and lipid rearrangements to complete fusion. ..
- Collins K, Thorngren N, Fratti R, Wickner W. Sec17p and HOPS, in distinct SNARE complexes, mediate SNARE complex disruption or assembly for fusion. EMBO J. 2005;24:1775-86 pubmed..Sec17p may displace HOPS from SNAREs to permit subsequent rounds of fusion. ..
- Cheng H, Bao X, Rao H. The F-box Protein Rcy1 Is Involved in the Degradation of Histone H3 Variant Cse4 and Genome Maintenance. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10372-7 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the involvement of Rcy1 in chromosome regulation and another regulatory pathway controlling the Cse4 level and activity. ..
- Conibear E, Stevens T. Vps52p, Vps53p, and Vps54p form a novel multisubunit complex required for protein sorting at the yeast late Golgi. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:305-23 pubmed..The Vps52/53/54 complex joins a growing list of distinct multisubunit complexes that regulate membrane-trafficking events. ..
- Yang S, Rosenwald A. A High Copy Suppressor Screen for Autophagy Defects in Saccharomyces arl1? and ypt6? Strains. G3 (Bethesda). 2017;7:333-341 pubmed publisher..From the screen results, we selected COG4, SNX4, TAX4, IVY1, PEP3, SLT2, and ATG5, either membrane traffic or autophagy regulators, to further test whether they ..