Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PEP12
Description: SNAP receptor PEP12
Alias: VPL6, VPS6, VPT13, SNAP receptor PEP12
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Darsow T, Burd C, Emr S. Acidic di-leucine motif essential for AP-3-dependent sorting and restriction of the functional specificity of the Vam3p vacuolar t-SNARE. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:913-22 pubmed..Furthermore, disruption of AP-3 function also results in the ability of wild-type Vam3p to compensate for pep12 mutants, suggesting that AP-3 mediates the sorting of Vam3p via the di-leucine signal...
- Lewis M, Pelham H. A new yeast endosomal SNARE related to mammalian syntaxin 8. Traffic. 2002;3:922-9 pubmed..Syn8p thus appears to be a functional homolog of mammalian syntaxin 8, but Tlg1p can, amongst other roles, provide an equivalent function. ..
- Stepp J, Huang K, Lemmon S. The yeast adaptor protein complex, AP-3, is essential for the efficient delivery of alkaline phosphatase by the alternate pathway to the vacuole. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1761-74 pubmed..We suggest that some AP-3-dependent cargo proteins that regulate late steps in Golgi to vacuole transport are diverted into the Vps pathway allowing completion of transfer to the vacuole in the class E vps mutant. ..
- Roberg K, Rowley N, Kaiser C. Physiological regulation of membrane protein sorting late in the secretory pathway of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:1469-82 pubmed..Deletion of PEP12, a gene required for vesicular transport from the Golgi to the prevacuolar compartment, counteracts the effect of ..
- Becherer K, Rieder S, Emr S, Jones E. Novel syntaxin homologue, Pep12p, required for the sorting of lumenal hydrolases to the lysosome-like vacuole in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:579-94 pubmedb>pep12/vps6 mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae are defective in delivery of soluble vacuolar hydrolases to the vacuole. Morphological analysis by electron microscopy revealed that pep12 cells accumulate 40- to 50-nm vesicles...
- Harsay E, Schekman R. A subset of yeast vacuolar protein sorting mutants is blocked in one branch of the exocytic pathway. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:271-85 pubmed..found that vacuolar protein sorting mutants that block an endosome-mediated route to the vacuole, including vps1, pep12, vps4, and a temperature-sensitive clathrin mutant, missort cargo normally transported by dense exocytic vesicles, ..
- Subramanian S, Woolford C, Jones E. The Sec1/Munc18 protein, Vps33p, functions at the endosome and the vacuole of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2593-605 pubmed..This is the first report demonstrating the involvement of a single syntaxin with two SM proteins at the same organelle. ..
- Lobingier B, Merz A. Sec1/Munc18 protein Vps33 binds to SNARE domains and the quaternary SNARE complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4611-22 pubmed publisher..Our results also strengthen the hypothesis that SNARE complex binding is a core attribute of SM protein function. ..
- Darsow T, Rieder S, Emr S. A multispecificity syntaxin homologue, Vam3p, essential for autophagic and biosynthetic protein transport to the vacuole. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:517-29 pubmed..This result indicated that SNAREs alone do not define the specificity of vesicle docking reactions. ..
- Raymond C, Howald Stevenson I, Vater C, Stevens T. Morphological classification of the yeast vacuolar protein sorting mutants: evidence for a prevacuolar compartment in class E vps mutants. Mol Biol Cell. 1992;3:1389-402 pubmed..A good correlation between morphological phenotype and the extent of the CPY sorting defect was observed. ..
- Fischer von Mollard G, Stevens T. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae v-SNARE Vti1p is required for multiple membrane transport pathways to the vacuole. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:1719-32 pubmed..The ability of Vti1p to mediate multiple fusion steps requires additional proteins to ensure specificity in membrane traffic. ..
- Padilla Lopez S, Jiménez Hidalgo M, Martin Montalvo A, Clarke C, Navas P, Santos Ocaña C. Genetic evidence for the requirement of the endocytic pathway in the uptake of coenzyme Q6 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1788:1238-48 pubmed publisher..Additional data about the positive effect of peptone presence for exogenous Q(6) uptake support the hypothesis that Q(6) is transported to mitochondria through an endocytic-based system. ..
- Umebayashi K, Nakano A. Ergosterol is required for targeting of tryptophan permease to the yeast plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:1117-31 pubmed..The sorting mechanisms of Tat2p that depend on both sterol and ubiquitin will be discussed. ..
- Srivastava A, Woolford C, Jones E. Pep3p/Pep5p complex: a putative docking factor at multiple steps of vesicular transport to the vacuole of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;156:105-22 pubmed..PEP3 interacts genetically with two members of the endosomal SNARE complex, PEP12 (t-SNARE) and PEP7 (homologue of mammalian EEA1); Pep3p and Pep5p associate physically with Pep7p as revealed by ..
- Cabrera M, Langemeyer L, Mari M, Rethmeier R, Orban I, Perz A, et al. Phosphorylation of a membrane curvature-sensing motif switches function of the HOPS subunit Vps41 in membrane tethering. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:845-59 pubmed publisher..This multifunctional tethering factor thus discriminates between trafficking routes by switching from a curvature-sensing to a coat recognition mode upon phosphorylation. ..
- Suzuki T, Yokoyama A, Tsuji T, Ikeshima E, Nakashima K, Ikushima S, et al. Identification and characterization of genes involved in glutathione production in yeast. J Biosci Bioeng. 2011;112:107-13 pubmed publisher..2-fold higher levels of intracellular glutathione: chc1, cst6, ddc1, def1, pep12, rts1, ubp6, and yih1...
- Balderhaar H, Lachmann J, Yavavli E, Bröcker C, Lürick A, Ungermann C. The CORVET complex promotes tethering and fusion of Rab5/Vps21-positive membranes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3823-8 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that CORVET is a tethering complex that promotes fusion of Rab5-positive membranes and thus facilitates receptor down-regulation and recycling at the late endosome. ..
- Gossing M, Chidambaram S, Fischer von Mollard G. Importance of the N-terminal domain of the Qb-SNARE Vti1p for different membrane transport steps in the yeast endosomal system. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66304 pubmed publisher..As different transport steps were affected our data demonstrate the importance of a folded Vti1p H(abc) domain for transport. ..
- Srivastava A, Jones E. Pth1/Vam3p is the syntaxin homolog at the vacuolar membrane of Saccharomyces cerevisiae required for the delivery of vacuolar hydrolases. Genetics. 1998;148:85-98 pubmedThe PEP12 homolog Pth1p (Pep twelve homolog 1) is predicted to be similar in size to Pep12p, the endosomal syntaxin homolog that mediates docking of Golgi-derived transport vesicles and, like other members of the syntaxin family, is ..
- Burchett S, Flanary P, Aston C, Jiang L, Young K, Uetz P, et al. Regulation of stress response signaling by the N-terminal dishevelled/EGL-10/pleckstrin domain of Sst2, a regulator of G protein signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22156-67 pubmed..interacting proteins, we analyzed all of the available gene deletion mutants and found three (vps36 Delta, pep12 Delta, and tlg2 Delta) that induce STRE and also repress pheromone-dependent transcription...
- Furukawa N, Mima J. Multiple and distinct strategies of yeast SNAREs to confer the specificity of membrane fusion. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4277 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings uncover multiple and distinct strategies of SNAREs to directly mediate fusion specificity. ..
- Abeliovich H, Darsow T, Emr S. Cytoplasm to vacuole trafficking of aminopeptidase I requires a t-SNARE-Sec1p complex composed of Tlg2p and Vps45p. EMBO J. 1999;18:6005-16 pubmed..Vps45p associates with both the Tlg2p and Pep12p t-SNAREs, but API maturation is not blocked in a pep12(ts) mutant, indicating that Vps45p independently regulates the function of multiple t-SNARES at distinct ..
- Mateja A, Paduch M, Chang H, Szydlowska A, Kossiakoff A, Hegde R, et al. Protein targeting. Structure of the Get3 targeting factor in complex with its membrane protein cargo. Science. 2015;347:1152-5 pubmed publisher..Our data elucidate the mechanism of TA protein recognition and shielding by Get3 and suggest general principles of hydrophobic domain chaperoning by cellular targeting factors. ..
- Peterson M, Emr S. The class C Vps complex functions at multiple stages of the vacuolar transport pathway. Traffic. 2001;2:476-86 pubmed..Collectively, these results indicate that the Class C Vps complex plays essential roles in the processes of membrane docking and fusion at both the Golgi-to-endosome and endosome-to-vacuole stages of transport. ..
- Ayciriex S, Le Guedard M, Camougrand N, Velours G, Schoene M, Leone S, et al. YPR139c/LOA1 encodes a novel lysophosphatidic acid acyltransferase associated with lipid droplets and involved in TAG homeostasis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:233-46 pubmed publisher..Our results from purification of subcellular compartments and proteomic studies show that Loa1p is associated with LD and active in this compartment. Loa1p is therefore a novel LPA AT and plays a role in LD formation. ..
- Neiman A, Katz L, Brennwald P. Identification of domains required for developmentally regulated SNARE function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2000;155:1643-55 pubmed..Deletion studies indicate that activation and inhibition are separable functions of the Spo20p N terminus. Our results reveal an additional layer of regulation of the SNARE complex, which is necessary only in sporulating cells. ..
- Jin Y, Weisman L. The vacuole/lysosome is required for cell-cycle progression. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this role for the vacuole in cell-cycle progression requires an intact TORC1-SCH9 pathway that can only signal from a mature vacuole. These mechanisms may serve as a checkpoint for the presence of the vacuole/lysosome. ..
- Zimmermann J, Chidambaram S, Fischer von Mollard G. Dissecting Ent3p: the ENTH domain binds different SNAREs via distinct amino acid residues while the C-terminus is sufficient for retrograde transport from endosomes. Biochem J. 2010;431:123-34 pubmed publisher..This provides the necessary flexibility to bind three SNAREs with little sequence homology but maintains the specificity of the interaction. ..
- Hoffman Sommer M, Kucharczyk R, Piekarska I, Kozlowska E, Rytka J. Mutations in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae vacuolar fusion proteins Ccz1, Mon1 and Ypt7 cause defects in cell cycle progression in a num1Delta background. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:639-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that deregulation of the cell cycle in these mutants results from two separate mechanisms, one of which is related to calcium homeostasis. ..
- Kucharczyk R, Hoffman Sommer M, Piekarska I, von Mollard G, Rytka J. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein Ccz1p interacts with components of the endosomal fusion machinery. FEMS Yeast Res. 2009;9:565-73 pubmed publisher..Combining the ccz1Delta mutation with deletions of PEP12 or other genes encoding components of the endosomal fusion machinery, VPS21, VPS9 or VPS45, results in synthetic ..
- Craven R, Mallory J, Hand R. Regulation of iron homeostasis mediated by the heme-binding protein Dap1 (damage resistance protein 1) via the P450 protein Erg11/Cyp51. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36543-51 pubmed
- Deloche O, Schekman R. Vps10p cycles between the TGN and the late endosome via the plasma membrane in clathrin mutants. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:4296-307 pubmed..Once relieved of cargo protein, Vps10p would be recycled to the trans-Golgi and then to the cell surface for further rounds of sorting. ..
- Gurunathan S, David D, Gerst J. Dynamin and clathrin are required for the biogenesis of a distinct class of secretory vesicles in yeast. EMBO J. 2002;21:602-14 pubmed..Interestingly, disruption of the PEP12 gene, which encodes the t-SNARE that mediates all Golgi to pre-vacuolar compartment (PVC) transport, also ..
- Surma M, Klose C, Klemm R, Ejsing C, Simons K. Generic sorting of raft lipids into secretory vesicles in yeast. Traffic. 2011;12:1139-47 pubmed publisher..This finding indicates that lipid raft sorting is a generic feature of vesicles carrying PM cargo and suggests a common lipid-based mechanism for their formation...
- Copic A, Starr T, Schekman R. Ent3p and Ent5p exhibit cargo-specific functions in trafficking proteins between the trans-Golgi network and the endosomes in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1803-15 pubmed..We conclude that the clathrin adaptors AP-1, Ent3p, Ent5p, and the Ggas cooperate in different ways to sort proteins between the TGN and the endosomes. ..
- Webb G, Hoedt M, Poole L, Jones E. Genetic interactions between a pep7 mutation and the PEP12 and VPS45 genes: evidence for a novel SNARE component in transport between the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Golgi complex and endosome. Genetics. 1997;147:467-78 pubmed..This analysis demonstrated that both VPS45 and PEP12 are allele-specific high-copy suppressors of pep7-20 mutant phenotypes...
- Tsui M, Banfield D. Yeast Golgi SNARE interactions are promiscuous. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 1):145-52 pubmed
- Jensen L, Carroll M, Hall M, Harvey C, Beese S, Culotta V. Down-regulation of a manganese transporter in the face of metal toxicity. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2810-9 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that manganese starvation is sensed within the lumen of the secretory pathway, whereas manganese toxicity is sensed within an extra-Golgi/cytosolic compartment of the cell. ..
- Paumet F, Rahimian V, Di Liberto M, Rothman J. Concerted auto-regulation in yeast endosomal t-SNAREs. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:21137-43 pubmed..These internal controls provide a potential mechanism to enable SNARE-dependent fusion to be regulated. ..
- Lisman Q, Pomorski T, Vogelzangs C, Urli Stam D, de Cocq van Delwijnen W, Holthuis J. Protein sorting in the late Golgi of Saccharomyces cerevisiae does not require mannosylated sphingolipids. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:1020-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that protein sorting in the late Golgi of yeast does not require production of mannosylated sphingolipids. ..
- Usami Y, Uemura S, Mochizuki T, Morita A, Shishido F, Inokuchi J, et al. Functional mapping and implications of substrate specificity of the yeast high-affinity leucine permease Bap2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1838:1719-29 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that the substrate partition efficiency to the buried Bap2 binding pocket is the primary determinant of substrate specificity rather than structural amino acid side chain recognition. ..
- Bensen E, Costaguta G, Payne G. Synthetic genetic interactions with temperature-sensitive clathrin in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Roles for synaptojanin-like Inp53p and dynamin-related Vps1p in clathrin-dependent protein sorting at the trans-Golgi network. Genetics. 2000;154:83-97 pubmed..Our findings implicate a wide variety of proteins in clathrin-dependent processes and provide evidence for the selective involvement of Inp53p in clathrin-mediated protein sorting at the TGN. ..