Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PAM16
Description: import motor complex subunit PAM16
Alias: MIA1, TIM16, import motor complex subunit PAM16
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Mokranjac D, Popov Celeketic D, Hell K, Neupert W. Role of Tim21 in mitochondrial translocation contact sites. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23437-40 pubmed..We propose that Tim21 binds to the trans site of the TOM complex thus keeping the two translocases in close contact. ..
- Tamura Y, Harada Y, Yamano K, Watanabe K, Ishikawa D, Ohshima C, et al. Identification of Tam41 maintaining integrity of the TIM23 protein translocator complex in mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:631-7 pubmed..Import of Pam16 into mitochondria without Tam41 was retarded, and the imported Pam16 formed aggregates in vitro...
- Kozany C, Mokranjac D, Sichting M, Neupert W, Hell K. The J domain-related cochaperone Tim16 is a constituent of the mitochondrial TIM23 preprotein translocase. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:234-41 pubmed..This reaction is assisted by the cochaperones Tim14 and Mge1. We have identified a novel essential cochaperone, Tim16. It is related to J-domain proteins and forms a stable subcomplex with the J protein Tim14...
- Popov Celeketic D, Mapa K, Neupert W, Mokranjac D. Active remodelling of the TIM23 complex during translocation of preproteins into mitochondria. EMBO J. 2008;27:1469-80 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that the TIM23 complex acts as a single structural and functional entity that is actively remodelled to sort preproteins into different mitochondrial subcompartments. ..
- D Silva P, Schilke B, Hayashi M, Craig E. Interaction of the J-protein heterodimer Pam18/Pam16 of the mitochondrial import motor with the translocon of the inner membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:424-32 pubmed..The heterodimer composed of Pam18, the J-protein partner of mtHsp70, and the related protein Pam16 is a critical component of this motor...
- Dienhart M, Stuart R. The yeast Aac2 protein exists in physical association with the cytochrome bc1-COX supercomplex and the TIM23 machinery. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3934-43 pubmed publisher..The physiological implications of the association of AAC with the cytochrome bc(1)-COX-TIM23 supercomplex are also discussed. ..
- Sichting M, Mokranjac D, Azem A, Neupert W, Hell K. Maintenance of structure and function of mitochondrial Hsp70 chaperones requires the chaperone Hep1. EMBO J. 2005;24:1046-56 pubmed..This process is efficiently counteracted by Hep1. We conclude that Hep1 acts as a chaperone that is necessary and sufficient to prevent self-aggregation and to thereby maintain the function of the mitochondrial Hsp70 chaperones. ..
- Schendzielorz A, Schulz C, Lytovchenko O, Clancy A, Guiard B, Ieva R, et al. Two distinct membrane potential-dependent steps drive mitochondrial matrix protein translocation. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:83-92 pubmed publisher..The ??- and Pam17-dependent import step identified in this study is positioned between the two known energy-dependent steps: ??-driven presequence translocation and adenosine triphosphate-driven import motor activity. ..
- Ting S, Yan N, Schilke B, Craig E. Dual interaction of scaffold protein Tim44 of mitochondrial import motor with channel-forming translocase subunit Tim23. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a model in which the CTD serves primarily to anchor Tim44 to the translocon, whereas the NTD is a dynamic arm, interacting with multiple components to drive efficient translocation. ..
- Chacinska A, van der Laan M, Mehnert C, Guiard B, Mick D, Hutu D, et al. Distinct forms of mitochondrial TOM-TIM supercomplexes define signal-dependent states of preprotein sorting. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:307-18 pubmed publisher..Depending on the signals of the preproteins, switches between the different forms of supercomplex and TIM23 are required for the completion of preprotein import. ..
- Popov Celeketic D, Waegemann K, Mapa K, Neupert W, Mokranjac D. Role of the import motor in insertion of transmembrane segments by the mitochondrial TIM23 complex. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:542-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest a role for the import motor in lateral insertion. Thus, the import motor is involved in ATP-dependent translocation and ATP-independent lateral insertion. ..
- Wiedemann N, van der Laan M, Hutu D, Rehling P, Pfanner N. Sorting switch of mitochondrial presequence translocase involves coupling of motor module to respiratory chain. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1115-22 pubmed..The motor does not assemble en bloc with the translocase but apparently in a step-wise manner with the Pam16/18 module before the Hsp70 core.
- Sinha D, Joshi N, Chittoor B, Samji P, D Silva P. Role of Magmas in protein transport and human mitochondria biogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:1248-62 pubmed publisher..In this report, we have showed that human Magmas is an ortholog of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pam16 having similar functions and is critical for protein translocation across mitochondrial inner membrane...
- Pais J, Schilke B, Craig E. Reevaluation of the role of the Pam18:Pam16 interaction in translocation of proteins by the mitochondrial Hsp70-based import motor. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4740-9 pubmed publisher..Pam18 forms a heterodimer with the structurally related protein Pam16, via their J-type domains...
- Matta S, Pareek G, Bankapalli K, Oblesha A, D Silva P. Role of Tim17 Transmembrane Regions in Regulating the Architecture of Presequence Translocase and Mitochondrial DNA Stability. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..We conclude that the integrity of Tim17 transmembrane regions is critical for mitochondrial function and protein turnover. ..
- Schilke B, Hayashi M, Craig E. Genetic analysis of complex interactions among components of the mitochondrial import motor and translocon in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2012;190:1341-53 pubmed publisher..Hsp70 is tethered to the translocon via interaction with Tim44. Pam18, the J-protein co-chaperone, and Pam16, a structurally related protein with which Pam18 forms a heterodimer, are also critical components of the motor...
- Ting S, Schilke B, Hayashi M, Craig E. Architecture of the TIM23 inner mitochondrial translocon and interactions with the matrix import motor. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:28689-96 pubmed publisher..As both Tim44 and Pam17 have been implicated as regulatory subunits of the motor, this positioning is conducive for responding to conformational changes in the translocon upon a translocating polypeptide entering the channel. ..
- Pareek G, Krishnamoorthy V, D Silva P. Molecular insights revealing interaction of Tim23 and channel subunits of presequence translocase. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4641-59 pubmed publisher..Our model conceptually explains the cooperative function between Tam41 and Pam17 subunits, while the antagonistic activity of Tim21 predominantly determines the bound and free forms of the PAM subcomplex during import. ..
- Tamura Y, Endo T, Iijima M, Sesaki H. Ups1p and Ups2p antagonistically regulate cardiolipin metabolism in mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:1029-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we observed synthetic growth defects in ups mutants in combination with loss of Pam17p, which controls the integrity of PAM. Our findings provide a novel molecular mechanism for the regulation of cardiolipin metabolism. ..
- Schulz C, Rehling P. Remodelling of the active presequence translocase drives motor-dependent mitochondrial protein translocation. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4349 pubmed publisher..Thus, a replenishment cycle of co-chaperones at the TIM23 complex is an integral part of Hsp70's ATPase cycle at the channel exit site and essential to maintain motor-driven mitochondrial protein import. ..