Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NUP57
Description: FG-nucleoporin NUP57
Alias: FG-nucleoporin NUP57
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Bailer S, Balduf C, Hurt E. The Nsp1p carboxy-terminal domain is organized into functionally distinct coiled-coil regions required for assembly of nucleoporin subcomplexes and nucleocytoplasmic transport. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7944-55 pubmed..Thus, distinct coiled-coil regions within Nsp1p-C have separate functions that are related to the assembly of different NPC subcomplexes, nucleocytoplasmic transport, and incorporation into the nuclear pores. ..
- Belgareh N, Snay Hodge C, Pasteau F, Dagher S, Cole C, Doye V. Functional characterization of a Nup159p-containing nuclear pore subcomplex. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:3475-92 pubmed..Together our data suggest that the poly(A)+ RNA export defect previously observed in nup82 mutant cells might be due to the loss from the NPCs of the repeat-containing nucleoporin Nup159p. ..
- Aitchison J, Blobel G, Rout M. Kap104p: a karyopherin involved in the nuclear transport of messenger RNA binding proteins. Science. 1996;274:624-7 pubmed..This finding suggests that the major function of Kap104p lies in returning mRNA binding proteins to the nucleus after mRNA export. ..
- Patel S, Belmont B, Sante J, Rexach M. Natively unfolded nucleoporins gate protein diffusion across the nuclear pore complex. Cell. 2007;129:83-96 pubmed..The results support a two-gate model of NPC architecture featuring a central diffusion gate formed by a meshwork of cohesive FG nucleoporin filaments and a peripheral gate formed by repulsive FG nucleoporin filaments...
- Schrader N, Stelter P, Flemming D, Kunze R, Hurt E, Vetter I. Structural basis of the nic96 subcomplex organization in the nuclear pore channel. Mol Cell. 2008;29:46-55 pubmed publisherNic96 is a conserved nucleoporin that recruits the Nsp1-Nup49-Nup57 complex, a module with Phe-Gly (FG) repeats, to the central transport channel of the nuclear pore complex (NPC)...
- Makhnevych T, Lusk C, Anderson A, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. Cell cycle regulated transport controlled by alterations in the nuclear pore complex. Cell. 2003;115:813-23 pubmed..We propose that fluctuations in Kap121p transport mediated by the NPC contribute to controlling the subcellular distribution of molecules that direct progression through mitosis. ..
- Kiseleva E, Allen T, Rutherford S, Bucci M, Wente S, Goldberg M. Yeast nuclear pore complexes have a cytoplasmic ring and internal filaments. J Struct Biol. 2004;145:272-88 pubmed..We conclude that peripheral NPC components appear similar in yeasts compared to higher organisms and present a revised model for yeast NPC structural composition. ..
- Ulrich A, Partridge J, Schwartz T. The stoichiometry of the nucleoporin 62 subcomplex of the nuclear pore in solution. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1484-92 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these noncanonical stoichiometries observed in vitro are unlikely to be physiologically relevant. ..
- Neville M, Stutz F, Lee L, Davis L, Rosbash M. The importin-beta family member Crm1p bridges the interaction between Rev and the nuclear pore complex during nuclear export. Curr Biol. 1997;7:767-75 pubmed..Our findings also agree well with current experiments on Crm1p orthologs in Schizosaccharomyces pombe and in vertebrate systems. ..
- Kosova B, Pante N, Rollenhagen C, Podtelejnikov A, Mann M, Aebi U, et al. Mlp2p, a component of nuclear pore attached intranuclear filaments, associates with nic96p. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:343-50 pubmed..Double disruption mutants of MLP1 and MLP2 are viable and apparently not impaired in nucleocytoplasmic transport. However, overproduction of MLP1 causes nuclear accumulation of poly(A)(+) RNA in a chromatin-free area of the nucleus...
- Terry L, Wente S. Nuclear mRNA export requires specific FG nucleoporins for translocation through the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1121-32 pubmed..These results pinpoint distinct steps in the mRNA export mechanism that regulate NPC translocation efficiency. ..
- Bucci M, Wente S. A novel fluorescence-based genetic strategy identifies mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae defective for nuclear pore complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:2439-61 pubmed..Interestingly, a third group was a novel temperature-sensitive allele of nup57. The lowered GFP-Nup49p incorporation in the nup57-E17 cells resulted in a decreased fluorescence level, which was ..
- Meinema A, Laba J, Hapsari R, Otten R, Mulder F, Kralt A, et al. Long unfolded linkers facilitate membrane protein import through the nuclear pore complex. Science. 2011;333:90-3 pubmed publisher..We propose an import mechanism for membrane proteins in which an unfolded linker slices through the NPC scaffold to enable binding between the transport factor and the FG domains in the center of the NPC...
- Colombi P, Webster B, Fröhlich F, Lusk C. The transmission of nuclear pore complexes to daughter cells requires a cytoplasmic pool of Nsp1. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:215-32 pubmed publisher..It further supports the finding that NPC inheritance, not de novo NPC assembly, is primarily responsible for controlling NPC number in daughter cells. ..
- Hung N, Lo K, Patel S, Helmke K, Johnson A. Arx1 is a nuclear export receptor for the 60S ribosomal subunit in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:735-44 pubmed..These results show that Arx1 can directly bridge the interaction between the pre-60S particle and the NPC and thus is a third export receptor for the 60S subunit in yeast. ..
- Olsson I, Berrez J, Leipus A, Ostlund C, Mutvei A. The arginine methyltransferase Rmt2 is enriched in the nucleus and co-purifies with the nuclear porins Nup49, Nup57 and Nup100. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:1778-89 pubmed..Rmt2 was found to co-purify with the nucleoporins Nup49, Nup57 and Nup100, revealing a novel link between arginine methyltransferases and the nuclear pore complex...
- Miao M, Ryan K, Wente S. The integral membrane protein Pom34p functionally links nucleoporin subcomplexes. Genetics. 2006;172:1441-57 pubmed..We speculate that multiple integral membrane proteins, either within the nuclear pore domain or in the nuclear envelope, execute coordinated roles in NPC structure and function. ..