Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NUP53
Description: FG-nucleoporin NUP53
Alias: FG-nucleoporin NUP53
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Makhnevych T, Lusk C, Anderson A, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. Cell cycle regulated transport controlled by alterations in the nuclear pore complex. Cell. 2003;115:813-23 pubmed..We propose that fluctuations in Kap121p transport mediated by the NPC contribute to controlling the subcellular distribution of molecules that direct progression through mitosis. ..
- Fahrenkrog B, Hubner W, Mandinova A, Pante N, Keller W, Aebi U. The yeast nucleoporin Nup53p specifically interacts with Nic96p and is directly involved in nuclear protein import. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3885-96 pubmed..Whereas Nup53p is directly involved in NLS-mediated protein import by its interaction with the yeast nuclear import receptor Kap95p, it appears not to participate in NES-dependent nuclear export. ..
- Cairo L, Wozniak R. The Nuclear Transport Factor Kap121 Is Required for Stability of the Dam1 Complex and Mitotic Kinetochore Bi-orientation. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2440-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kap121 stabilizes the Dam1 complex and participates in escorting it to spindle MTs. ..
- Damelin M, Silver P. In situ analysis of spatial relationships between proteins of the nuclear pore complex. Biophys J. 2002;83:3626-36 pubmed..We suggest that the approach may serve as a prototype for the in situ study of other large macromolecular complexes. ..
- Kobayashi J, Matsuura Y. Structural basis for cell-cycle-dependent nuclear import mediated by the karyopherin Kap121p. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:1852-1868 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the NLS and RanGTP complexes reveals that RanGTP binding not only occludes the cargo-binding site but also forces Kap121p into a conformation that is incompatible with NLS recognition. ..
- Yewdell W, Colombi P, Makhnevych T, Lusk C. Lumenal interactions in nuclear pore complex assembly and stability. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1375-88 pubmed publisher..These findings support a role for Heh1p in the assembly or stability of the NPC, potentially through the formation of a lumenal bridge with Pom152p...
- Hayakawa A, Babour A, Sengmanivong L, Dargemont C. Ubiquitylation of the nuclear pore complex controls nuclear migration during mitosis in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:19-27 pubmed publisher..This led to defects in nuclear segregation at the onset of mitosis. Thus, defining ubiquitylation of the yeast NPC highlights yet-unexplored functions of this essential organelle in cell division. ..
- Sarma N, Buford T, Haley T, Barbara Haley K, Santangelo G, Willis K. The nuclear pore complex mediates binding of the Mig1 repressor to target promoters. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27117 pubmed publisher..We propose that the NPC contributes to both repression and activation at the level of transcription. ..
- MÃ©szÃ¡ros N, Cibulka J, Mendiburo M, Romanauska A, Schneider M, KÃ¶hler A. Nuclear pore basket proteins are tethered to the nuclear envelope and can regulate membrane curvature. Dev Cell. 2015;33:285-98 pubmed publisher..Basket amphipathic helices are functionally linked to distinct transmembrane nucleoporins of the NPC core, suggesting a key contribution to the membrane remodeling events that underlie NPC assembly. ..
- Weberruss M, Savulescu A, Jando J, Bissinger T, Harel A, Glickman M, et al. Blm10 facilitates nuclear import of proteasome core particles. EMBO J. 2013;32:2697-707 pubmed publisher..Thus, Blm10 represents the first CP-dedicated nuclear import receptor in yeast...
- Cairo L, Ptak C, Wozniak R. Mitosis-specific regulation of nuclear transport by the spindle assembly checkpoint protein Mad1p. Mol Cell. 2013;49:109-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that a distinct branch of the SAC exists in which Mad1p senses unattached kinetochores and, by altering NPC transport activity, regulates the nuclear environment of the spindle. ..
- Makhnevych T, Ptak C, Lusk C, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. The role of karyopherins in the regulated sumoylation of septins. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:39-49 pubmed..We present a model in which Ulp1p is maintained at the NPC during interphase and transiently interacts with the septin ring during mitosis. ..
- Iouk T, Kerscher O, Scott R, Basrai M, Wozniak R. The yeast nuclear pore complex functionally interacts with components of the spindle assembly checkpoint. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:807-19 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that the association of Mad1p with the NPC is not passive and that it plays a role in nuclear transport. ..
- Scott R, Lusk C, Dilworth D, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. Interactions between Mad1p and the nuclear transport machinery in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4362-74 pubmed..Our further analysis also showed that only the C terminus of Mad1p is required for SAC function and that the NPC, through Nup53p, may act to regulate the duration of the SAC response. ..
- Patel S, Belmont B, Sante J, Rexach M. Natively unfolded nucleoporins gate protein diffusion across the nuclear pore complex. Cell. 2007;129:83-96 pubmed..The results support a two-gate model of NPC architecture featuring a central diffusion gate formed by a meshwork of cohesive FG nucleoporin filaments and a peripheral gate formed by repulsive FG nucleoporin filaments...
- Stuwe T, Lin D, Collins L, Hurt E, Hoelz A. Evidence for an evolutionary relationship between the large adaptor nucleoporin Nup192 and karyopherins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:2530-5 pubmed publisher..Biochemically, we identify a conserved patch that binds an unstructured segment in Nup53 and show that a C-terminal tail region binds to a putative helical fragment in Nic96...