Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NUP145
Description: nucleocytoplasmic transporter NUP145
Alias: RAT10, nucleocytoplasmic transporter NUP145
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Ratner G, Hodel A, Powers M. Molecular determinants of binding between Gly-Leu-Phe-Gly nucleoporins and the nuclear pore complex. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:33968-76 pubmed..An equivalent cleavage event occurs in one yeast ortholog, Nup145, to produce Nup145N and Nup145C...
- Murphy R, Watkins J, Wente S. GLE2, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe export factor RAE1, is required for nuclear pore complex structure and function. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1921-37 pubmed..We propose that Gle2p has a novel role in mediating nuclear transport. ..
- Terry L, Wente S. Nuclear mRNA export requires specific FG nucleoporins for translocation through the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1121-32 pubmed..These results pinpoint distinct steps in the mRNA export mechanism that regulate NPC translocation efficiency. ..
- Fabre E, Hurt E. Yeast genetics to dissect the nuclear pore complex and nucleocytoplasmic trafficking. Annu Rev Genet. 1997;31:277-313 pubmed..We review here our current knowledge on the role of nucleoporins, and on the mechanism of nucleocytoplasmic transport, with emphasis on the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Aitchison J, Blobel G, Rout M. Kap104p: a karyopherin involved in the nuclear transport of messenger RNA binding proteins. Science. 1996;274:624-7 pubmed..This finding suggests that the major function of Kap104p lies in returning mRNA binding proteins to the nucleus after mRNA export. ..
- Nagy V, Hsia K, Debler E, Kampmann M, Davenport A, Blobel G, et al. Structure of a trimeric nucleoporin complex reveals alternate oligomerization states. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17693-8 pubmed publisher..Docking the crystal structures of all heptamer components into the EM envelope constitutes a major advance toward the completion of the structural characterization of the Nup84 complex. ..
- Feuerbach F, Galy V, Trelles Sticken E, Fromont Racine M, Jacquier A, Gilson E, et al. Nuclear architecture and spatial positioning help establish transcriptional states of telomeres in yeast. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:214-21 pubmed..Our data support a model in which domains of enriched transcriptional regulators allow genes to determine transcriptional states by spatial positioning. ..
- Lutzmann M, Kunze R, Buerer A, Aebi U, Hurt E. Modular self-assembly of a Y-shaped multiprotein complex from seven nucleoporins. EMBO J. 2002;21:387-97 pubmed..Taken together, our data document that the Nup84p-Nup133p complex self-assembles in a modular concept from distinct smaller nucleoporin construction sets. ..
- Strawn L, Shen T, Shulga N, Goldfarb D, Wente S. Minimal nuclear pore complexes define FG repeat domains essential for transport. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:197-206 pubmed..Significantly, symmetric deletions caused mild reductions in Kap95-Kap60-mediated import rates, but virtually abolished Kap104 import. These results suggest the existence of multiple translocation pathways. ..
- Galy V, Olivo Marin J, Scherthan H, Doye V, Rascalou N, Nehrbass U. Nuclear pore complexes in the organization of silent telomeric chromatin. Nature. 2000;403:108-12 pubmed..We show, moreover, that this structural link is docked to nuclear-pore complexes through a cleavable nucleoporin, Nup145. We propose that, through these interactions, nuclear-pore complexes organize a nuclear subdomain that is ..
- Fernandez Martinez J, Phillips J, Sekedat M, Diaz Avalos R, Velázquez Muriel J, Franke J, et al. Structure-function mapping of a heptameric module in the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:419-34 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates that integrative approaches based on low-resolution data of sufficient quality can generate functionally informative structures at intermediate resolution. ..
- Fabre E, Boelens W, Wimmer C, Mattaj I, Hurt E. Nup145p is required for nuclear export of mRNA and binds homopolymeric RNA in vitro via a novel conserved motif. Cell. 1994;78:275-89 pubmed..Fragments of Nup145p and Nup116p including this motif bind specifically to homopolymeric RNAs in vitro. Nup145p, Nup116p, and Nup100p thus represent a novel class of nucleoporins involved in nucleocytoplasmic transport. ..
- Hsia K, Stavropoulos P, Blobel G, Hoelz A. Architecture of a coat for the nuclear pore membrane. Cell. 2007;131:1313-26 pubmed..Our model proposes that the hetero-octamer would vertically traverse and connect the four stacked rings. ..
- Brohawn S, Leksa N, Spear E, Rajashankar K, Schwartz T. Structural evidence for common ancestry of the nuclear pore complex and vesicle coats. Science. 2008;322:1369-73 pubmed publisher..We propose that the NPC scaffold, like vesicle coats, is composed of polygons with vertices and edges forming a membrane-proximal lattice that provides docking sites for additional nucleoporins. ..
- Therizols P, Fairhead C, Cabal G, Genovesio A, Olivo Marin J, Dujon B, et al. Telomere tethering at the nuclear periphery is essential for efficient DNA double strand break repair in subtelomeric region. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:189-99 pubmed..They also indicate that anchoring of telomeres is essential for efficient repair of DSBs occurring therein and is important for preserving genome integrity. ..
- Dawson T, Lazarus M, Hetzer M, Wente S. ER membrane-bending proteins are necessary for de novo nuclear pore formation. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:659-75 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that these ER membrane-bending proteins mediate early NPC assembly steps...
- Casey A, Chen S, Novick P, Ferro Novick S, Wente S. Nuclear pore complex integrity requires Lnp1, a regulator of cortical endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2833-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Lnp1's role in NPC integrity is separable from functions in the ER and is linked to Ndc1 and Rtn1 interactions. ..
- Dockendorff T, Heath C, Goldstein A, Snay C, Cole C. C-terminal truncations of the yeast nucleoporin Nup145p produce a rapid temperature-conditional mRNA export defect and alterations to nuclear structure. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:906-20 pubmed..cerevisiae defective in nucleocytoplasmic trafficking of poly(A)+ RNA has identified an allele of the NUP145 gene, which encodes an essential nucleoporin...
- Sharma K, Fabre E, Tekotte H, Hurt E, Tollervey D. Yeast nucleoporin mutants are defective in pre-tRNA splicing. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:294-301 pubmed..Mutation of NUP49, NUP116, or NUP145 has previously been shown to lead to nuclear poly(A)+ RNA accumulation, indicating that these nucleoporins play ..
- Damelin M, Silver P. Mapping interactions between nuclear transport factors in living cells reveals pathways through the nuclear pore complex. Mol Cell. 2000;5:133-40 pubmed..These data demonstrate the utility of FRET in mapping dynamic protein interactions in a genetic system. Furthermore, the data indicate that an importin and exportin have overlapping pathways through the NPC. ..
- Yao W, Lutzmann M, Hurt E. A versatile interaction platform on the Mex67-Mtr2 receptor creates an overlap between mRNA and ribosome export. EMBO J. 2008;27:6-16 pubmed..Thus, the Mex67-Mtr2 export receptor employs a versatile binding platform on its surface that could create a crosstalk between mRNA and ribosome export pathways. ..
- Neville M, Stutz F, Lee L, Davis L, Rosbash M. The importin-beta family member Crm1p bridges the interaction between Rev and the nuclear pore complex during nuclear export. Curr Biol. 1997;7:767-75 pubmed..Our findings also agree well with current experiments on Crm1p orthologs in Schizosaccharomyces pombe and in vertebrate systems. ..
- Hayakawa A, Babour A, Sengmanivong L, Dargemont C. Ubiquitylation of the nuclear pore complex controls nuclear migration during mitosis in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:19-27 pubmed publisher..This led to defects in nuclear segregation at the onset of mitosis. Thus, defining ubiquitylation of the yeast NPC highlights yet-unexplored functions of this essential organelle in cell division. ..
- Light W, Brickner D, Brand V, Brickner J. Interaction of a DNA zip code with the nuclear pore complex promotes H2A.Z incorporation and INO1 transcriptional memory. Mol Cell. 2010;40:112-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, interaction of recently repressed INO1 with the NPC alters its chromatin structure and rate of reactivation...
- Dokudovskaya S, Waharte F, Schlessinger A, Pieper U, Devos D, Cristea I, et al. A conserved coatomer-related complex containing Sec13 and Seh1 dynamically associates with the vacuole in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2011;10:M110.006478 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the SEA complex is an additional member of a family of membrane coating and vesicle tethering assemblies, extending the repertoire of protocoatomer-related complexes. ..
- Meinema A, Laba J, Hapsari R, Otten R, Mulder F, Kralt A, et al. Long unfolded linkers facilitate membrane protein import through the nuclear pore complex. Science. 2011;333:90-3 pubmed publisher..We propose an import mechanism for membrane proteins in which an unfolded linker slices through the NPC scaffold to enable binding between the transport factor and the FG domains in the center of the NPC...
- Stuwe T, von Borzyskowski L, Davenport A, Hoelz A. Molecular basis for the anchoring of proto-oncoprotein Nup98 to the cytoplasmic face of the nuclear pore complex. J Mol Biol. 2012;419:330-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, the cytoplasmic filament network of the NPC is robust, consistent with its essential function in nucleocytoplasmic transport. ..
- Fiserova J, Richards S, Wente S, Goldberg M. Facilitated transport and diffusion take distinct spatial routes through the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2773-80 pubmed publisher..This further confirms that constraints on the route of travel are biochemical rather than structural and that the peripheral route of travel is essential for facilitated import. ..
- Lord C, Timney B, Rout M, Wente S. Altering nuclear pore complex function impacts longevity and mitochondrial function in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2015;208:729-44 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies reveal that specific NPC nuclear transport events directly influence aging. ..
- Patel S, Belmont B, Sante J, Rexach M. Natively unfolded nucleoporins gate protein diffusion across the nuclear pore complex. Cell. 2007;129:83-96 pubmed..The results support a two-gate model of NPC architecture featuring a central diffusion gate formed by a meshwork of cohesive FG nucleoporin filaments and a peripheral gate formed by repulsive FG nucleoporin filaments...
- Flemming D, Thierbach K, Stelter P, Bottcher B, Hurt E. Precise mapping of subunits in multiprotein complexes by a versatile electron microscopy label. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:775-8 pubmed publisher..This tag is readily visible on single particles and becomes exceptionally distinct after image processing and classification. Thus, our method is applicable for the exact topological mapping of subunits in macromolecular complexes. ..
- Damelin M, Silver P. In situ analysis of spatial relationships between proteins of the nuclear pore complex. Biophys J. 2002;83:3626-36 pubmed..We suggest that the approach may serve as a prototype for the in situ study of other large macromolecular complexes. ..
- Kosova B, Pante N, Rollenhagen C, Podtelejnikov A, Mann M, Aebi U, et al. Mlp2p, a component of nuclear pore attached intranuclear filaments, associates with nic96p. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:343-50 pubmed..Double disruption mutants of MLP1 and MLP2 are viable and apparently not impaired in nucleocytoplasmic transport. However, overproduction of MLP1 causes nuclear accumulation of poly(A)(+) RNA in a chromatin-free area of the nucleus...
- Sampathkumar P, Kim S, Upla P, Rice W, Phillips J, Timney B, et al. Structure, dynamics, evolution, and function of a major scaffold component in the nuclear pore complex. Structure. 2013;21:560-71 pubmed publisher..We show that suppression of Nup192 expression leads to compromised nuclear transport and hypothesize a role for Nup192 in modulating the permeability of the NPC central channel. ..