Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NUP1
Description: FG-nucleoporin NUP1
Alias: FG-nucleoporin NUP1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Rosenblum J, Pemberton L, Blobel G. A nuclear import pathway for a protein involved in tRNA maturation. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1655-61 pubmed..In addition, through its association with ribosomal proteins, Sxm1p may have a role in coordinating ribosome biogenesis with tRNA processing. ..
- Albertini M, Pemberton L, Rosenblum J, Blobel G. A novel nuclear import pathway for the transcription factor TFIIS. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1447-55 pubmed..Hence Kap119p is a novel karyopherin that is responsible for the import of the transcription elongation factor TFIIS. ..
- Booth J, Belanger K, Sannella M, Davis L. The yeast nucleoporin Nup2p is involved in nuclear export of importin alpha/Srp1p. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:32360-7 pubmed..Formation of the Srp1p.Cse1p. RanGTP export complex releases Srp1p from its binding site in Nup2p. We propose that Nup2p may act as a scaffold that facilitates formation of the Srp1p export complex. ..
- Denning D, Mykytka B, Allen N, Huang L, Al Burlingame -, Rexach M. The nucleoporin Nup60p functions as a Gsp1p-GTP-sensitive tether for Nup2p at the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:937-50 pubmed..The results suggest a dynamic interaction, controlled by the nucleoplasmic concentration of Gsp1p-GTP, between Nup60p and Nup2p at the NPC. ..
- Liu S, Stewart M. Structural basis for the high-affinity binding of nucleoporin Nup1p to the Saccharomyces cerevisiae importin-beta homologue, Kap95p. J Mol Biol. 2005;349:515-25 pubmed..additional hydrophobic residues, together with interactions generated by the intimate contact of the linker between Nup1 residues 977-987 with Kap95p...
- Davis L, Fink G. The NUP1 gene encodes an essential component of the yeast nuclear pore complex. Cell. 1990;61:965-78 pubmed..We have cloned a gene encoding one of these proteins (NUP1) and have confirmed the localization of the NUP1 protein to the pore complex by immunofluorescence, using an ..
- Cabal G, Genovesio A, Rodriguez Navarro S, Zimmer C, Gadal O, Lesne A, et al. SAGA interacting factors confine sub-diffusion of transcribed genes to the nuclear envelope. Nature. 2006;441:770-3 pubmed..a messenger RNA export factor, physically linking the activated GAL genes to the nuclear-pore-complex component Nup1. Deleting ADA2 or NUP1 abrogates perinuclear GAL confinement without affecting GAL1 transcription...
- Kenna M, Petranka J, Reilly J, Davis L. Yeast N1e3p/Nup170p is required for normal stoichiometry of FG nucleoporins within the nuclear pore complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2025-36 pubmed..Nup1p, we previously identified 16 complementation groups containing mutants that are lethal in the absence of NUP1 These mutants were referred to as nle (Nup-lethal) mutants...
- Belanger K, Kenna M, Wei S, Davis L. Genetic and physical interactions between Srp1p and nuclear pore complex proteins Nup1p and Nup2p. J Cell Biol. 1994;126:619-30 pubmed..Some of the mutants require wild-type Nup1p, while others are viable in combination with specific nup1 alleles...
- Solsbacher J, Maurer P, Vogel F, Schlenstedt G. Nup2p, a yeast nucleoporin, functions in bidirectional transport of importin alpha. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8468-79 pubmed..The changed distribution of Cse1p at the NPC in nup2 mutants also supports a role for Nup2p in Srp1p export from the nucleus. ..
- Alber F, Dokudovskaya S, Veenhoff L, Zhang W, Kipper J, Devos D, et al. The molecular architecture of the nuclear pore complex. Nature. 2007;450:695-701 pubmed..These findings provide clues to the evolutionary origins of the NPC. ..
- Rout M, Blobel G, Aitchison J. A distinct nuclear import pathway used by ribosomal proteins. Cell. 1997;89:715-25 pubmed..We show that the related protein Pse1p is also a karyopherin and can functionally substitute for Kap123p; both are capable of specifically directing a ribosomal nuclear localization signal reporter to the nucleus in vivo. ..
- Smolka M, Albuquerque C, Chen S, Zhou H. Proteome-wide identification of in vivo targets of DNA damage checkpoint kinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:10364-9 pubmed..In addition to several known targets, 50 previously undescribed targets of the DNA damage checkpoint were identified, suggesting that a wide range of cellular processes is likely regulated by Mec1, Tel1, and Rad53. ..
- Pemberton L, Rosenblum J, Blobel G. A distinct and parallel pathway for the nuclear import of an mRNA-binding protein. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1645-53 pubmed..Thus, at least two parallel pathways function in the import of mRNA-binding proteins, suggesting the need for the coordination of these pathways. ..
- Terry L, Wente S. Nuclear mRNA export requires specific FG nucleoporins for translocation through the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1121-32 pubmed..These results pinpoint distinct steps in the mRNA export mechanism that regulate NPC translocation efficiency. ..
- Neville M, Stutz F, Lee L, Davis L, Rosbash M. The importin-beta family member Crm1p bridges the interaction between Rev and the nuclear pore complex during nuclear export. Curr Biol. 1997;7:767-75 pubmed..Our findings also agree well with current experiments on Crm1p orthologs in Schizosaccharomyces pombe and in vertebrate systems. ..
- Fabre E, Hurt E. Yeast genetics to dissect the nuclear pore complex and nucleocytoplasmic trafficking. Annu Rev Genet. 1997;31:277-313 pubmed..We review here our current knowledge on the role of nucleoporins, and on the mechanism of nucleocytoplasmic transport, with emphasis on the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Yan C, Leibowitz N, Melese T. A role for the divergent actin gene, ACT2, in nuclear pore structure and function. EMBO J. 1997;16:3572-86 pubmed..act2-1 is synthetically lethal in combination with a deletion in the XFXFG nucleoporin gene, NUP1, or a mutation in the nuclear localization sequence receptor gene, SRP1...
- Hung N, Lo K, Patel S, Helmke K, Johnson A. Arx1 is a nuclear export receptor for the 60S ribosomal subunit in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:735-44 pubmed..These results show that Arx1 can directly bridge the interaction between the pre-60S particle and the NPC and thus is a third export receptor for the 60S subunit in yeast. ..
- Li F, Zheng L, Chen X, Zhao X, Briggs S, Du H. Gcn5-mediated Rph1 acetylation regulates its autophagic degradation under DNA damage stress. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:5183-5197 pubmed publisher..Gcn5-mediated Rph1 acetylation is essential for the association of Rph1 with the nuclear pore protein Nup1. Finally, we show that sustaining high levels of Rph1 during DNA damage stress results in cell growth defects...
- Rout M, Blobel G. Isolation of the yeast nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 1993;123:771-83 pubmed..It retains all but one of the eight known NPC proteins. In addition it contains as many as 80 uncharacterized proteins that are candidate NPC proteins. ..
- Damelin M, Silver P. Mapping interactions between nuclear transport factors in living cells reveals pathways through the nuclear pore complex. Mol Cell. 2000;5:133-40 pubmed..These data demonstrate the utility of FRET in mapping dynamic protein interactions in a genetic system. Furthermore, the data indicate that an importin and exportin have overlapping pathways through the NPC. ..
- Zeitler B, Weis K. The FG-repeat asymmetry of the nuclear pore complex is dispensable for bulk nucleocytoplasmic transport in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:583-90 pubmed..These findings suggest that the biased distribution of FG repeats is not required for major nucleocytoplasmic trafficking events across the NPC. ..
- Forwood J, Lange A, Zachariae U, Marfori M, Preast C, Grubmuller H, et al. Quantitative structural analysis of importin-? flexibility: paradigm for solenoid protein structures. Structure. 2010;18:1171-83 pubmed publisher..The analyses suggest the flexibility of the solenoid is generated by cumulative small movements along its length. Importin-? illustrates how solenoid proteins can orchestrate protein interactions in many cellular pathways. ..
- Harper N, Al Greene N, Basrai M, Belanger K. Mutations affecting spindle pole body and mitotic exit network function are synthetically lethal with a deletion of the nucleoporin NUP1 in S. cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2008;53:95-105 pubmed..b>Nup1 is one of 30 nucleoporins comprising the NPC of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae and is located on the ..
- Sistla S, Pang J, Wang C, Balasundaram D. Multiple conserved domains of the nucleoporin Nup124p and its orthologs Nup1p and Nup153 are critical for nuclear import and activity of the fission yeast Tf1 retrotransposon. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3692-708 pubmed..Although full-length Nup1p or Nup153 does not complement Nup124p, the functionality of their conserved domains with reference to Tf1 activity suggests that these three proteins evolved from a common ancestor. ..
- Damelin M, Silver P. In situ analysis of spatial relationships between proteins of the nuclear pore complex. Biophys J. 2002;83:3626-36 pubmed..We suggest that the approach may serve as a prototype for the in situ study of other large macromolecular complexes. ..
- Hodges J, Leslie J, Mosammaparast N, Guo Y, Shabanowitz J, Hunt D, et al. Nuclear import of TFIIB is mediated by Kap114p, a karyopherin with multiple cargo-binding domains. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3200-10 pubmed..The import of more than one cargo at a time would increase the efficiency of each import cycle and may allow the regulation of coimported cargoes. ..
- Belanger K. Using affinity chromatography to investigate novel protein-protein interactions in an undergraduate cell and molecular biology lab course. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2009;8:214-25 pubmed publisher..between the soluble mRNA transport factor Mex67 and the C-terminal region of the yeast nuclear pore complex protein Nup1. This exercise immersed students in the process of investigative science, from proposing and performing experiments ..
- Jani D, Valkov E, Stewart M. Structural basis for binding the TREX2 complex to nuclear pores, GAL1 localisation and mRNA export. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:6686-97 pubmed publisher..Although TREX2 is thought to bind NPC protein Nup1, defining the precise role of this interaction has been frustrated by the complex pleiotropic phenotype exhibited ..
- Regot S, de Nadal E, Rodriguez Navarro S, Gonzalez Novo A, Pérez Fernández J, Gadal O, et al. The Hog1 stress-activated protein kinase targets nucleoporins to control mRNA export upon stress. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17384-98 pubmed publisher..The Hog1 SAPK associates with nuclear pore complex components and directly phosphorylates the Nup1, Nup2, and Nup60 components of the inner nuclear basket...
- Belanger K, Simmons L, Roth J, VanderPloeg K, Lichten L, Fahrenkrog B. The karyopherin Msn5/Kap142 requires Nup82 for nuclear export and performs a function distinct from translocation in RPA protein import. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:43530-9 pubmed..Using a synthetic lethal screen with the nucleoporin NUP1, we have identified a conditional allele of NUP82, encoding an essential nuclear pore complex protein in ..
- MÃ©szÃ¡ros N, Cibulka J, Mendiburo M, Romanauska A, Schneider M, KÃ¶hler A. Nuclear pore basket proteins are tethered to the nuclear envelope and can regulate membrane curvature. Dev Cell. 2015;33:285-98 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the NPC basket proteins Nup1 and Nup60 directly induce membrane curvature by amphipathic helix insertion into the lipid bilayer...
- Kerr S, Azzouz N, Fuchs S, Collart M, Strahl B, Corbett A, et al. The Ccr4-Not complex interacts with the mRNA export machinery. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18302 pubmed publisher..These results shed further insight into the biological functions of Ccr4-Not and suggest that this complex is involved in all aspects of mRNA biogenesis, from the regulation of transcription to mRNA export and turnover. ..
- Patel S, Belmont B, Sante J, Rexach M. Natively unfolded nucleoporins gate protein diffusion across the nuclear pore complex. Cell. 2007;129:83-96 pubmed..The results support a two-gate model of NPC architecture featuring a central diffusion gate formed by a meshwork of cohesive FG nucleoporin filaments and a peripheral gate formed by repulsive FG nucleoporin filaments...
- Titov A, Blobel G. The karyopherin Kap122p/Pdr6p imports both subunits of the transcription factor IIA into the nucleus. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:235-46 pubmed..Kap122p bound to nucleoporins, specifically, to the peptide repeat-containing fragments of Nup1p and Nup2p. ..
- Stage Zimmermann T, Schmidt U, Silver P. Factors affecting nuclear export of the 60S ribosomal subunit in vivo. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3777-89 pubmed..Together, these data further define the requirements for ribosomal subunit export and suggest a biological function for KAP120. ..
- de Bruyn Kops A, Guthrie C. An essential nuclear envelope integral membrane protein, Brr6p, required for nuclear transport. EMBO J. 2001;20:4183-93 pubmed..We hypothesize that Brr6p is located adjacent to the nuclear pore and interacts functionally with the pore and transport machinery. ..
- Patel S, Rexach M. Discovering novel interactions at the nuclear pore complex using bead halo: a rapid method for detecting molecular interactions of high and low affinity at equilibrium. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2008;7:121-31 pubmed..As the Bead Halo assay detected molecular interactions in cell lysates, as well as between purified components, it can be adapted for large-scale proteomic studies using automated robotics and microscopy. ..