Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NET1
Alias: CFI1, ESC5, SRM8, Net1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Shou W, Seol J, Baskerville C, Moazed D, Chen Z, Jang J, et al. Exit from mitosis is triggered by Tem1-dependent release of the protein phosphatase Cdc14 from nucleolar RENT complex. Cell. 1999;97:233-44 pubmed..We identified a mutation, net1-1, that bypasses the lethality of tem1 delta...
- Shou W, Deshaies R. Multiple telophase arrest bypassed (tab) mutants alleviate the essential requirement for Cdc15 in exit from mitosis in S. cerevisiae. BMC Genet. 2002;3:4 pubmed..Previous studies identified net1(tab2-1) and CDC14(TAB6-1) as mutations in the RENT complex subunits Net1 and Cdc14, respectively, and revealed that ..
- Straight A, Shou W, Dowd G, Turck C, Deshaies R, Johnson A, et al. Net1, a Sir2-associated nucleolar protein required for rDNA silencing and nucleolar integrity. Cell. 1999;97:245-56 pubmed..b>Net1, a core subunit of this complex, preferentially cross-links to the rDNA repeats, but not to silent DNA regions near ..
- Azzam R, Chen S, Shou W, Mah A, Alexandru G, Nasmyth K, et al. Phosphorylation by cyclin B-Cdk underlies release of mitotic exit activator Cdc14 from the nucleolus. Science. 2004;305:516-9 pubmed..phosphatase Cdc14 is sequestered in the nucleolus in an inactive state during interphase by the anchor protein Net1. Upon entry into anaphase, the Cdc14 early anaphase release (FEAR) network initiates dispersal of active Cdc14 ..
- Shou W, Azzam R, Chen S, Huddleston M, Baskerville C, Charbonneau H, et al. Cdc5 influences phosphorylation of Net1 and disassembly of the RENT complex. BMC Mol Biol. 2002;3:3 pubmed..In pre-anaphase cells, Cdc14 is sequestered to the nucleolus by Net1 as a part of the RENT complex...
- Shou W, Sakamoto K, Keener J, Morimoto K, Traverso E, Azzam R, et al. Net1 stimulates RNA polymerase I transcription and regulates nucleolar structure independently of controlling mitotic exit. Mol Cell. 2001;8:45-55 pubmedThe budding yeast RENT complex, consisting of at least three proteins (Net1, Cdc14, Sir2), is anchored to the nucleolus by Net1. RENT controls mitotic exit, nucleolar silencing, and nucleolar localization of Nop1...
- Huang J, Moazed D. Association of the RENT complex with nontranscribed and coding regions of rDNA and a regional requirement for the replication fork block protein Fob1 in rDNA silencing. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2162-76 pubmed..We show that the Net1 (also called Cfi1) and Sir2 subunits of RENT localize primarily to two distinct regions within rDNA: in one of the nontranscribed ..
- Queralt E, Lehane C, Novak B, Uhlmann F. Downregulation of PP2A(Cdc55) phosphatase by separase initiates mitotic exit in budding yeast. Cell. 2006;125:719-32 pubmed..In metaphase, Cdc14 is kept inactive in the nucleolus by its inhibitor Net1. During anaphase, Cdk- and Polo-dependent phosphorylation of Net1 is thought to release active Cdc14...
- Bokros M, Gravenmier C, Jin F, Richmond D, Wang Y. Fin1-PP1 Helps Clear Spindle Assembly Checkpoint Protein Bub1 from Kinetochores in Anaphase. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1074-1085 pubmed publisher..This mechanism is required for efficient SAC silencing after SAC is challenged, and untimely Fin1-kinetochore association causes premature SAC silencing and chromosome missegregation. ..
- de Almeida A, Raccurt I, Peyrol S, Charbonneau M. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Cdc14 phosphatase is implicated in the structural organization of the nucleolus. Biol Cell. 1999;91:649-63 pubmed..The present data confirm several recently uncovered aspects of the regulation of Cdc14 localization and activity and suggest that the level of expression of CDC14 influences the structural organization of the nucleolus. ..
- Jwa M, Kim J, Chan C. Regulation of Sli15/INCENP, kinetochore, and Cdc14 phosphatase functions by the ribosome biogenesis protein Utp7. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:1099-111 pubmed publisher..Thus, Utp7 is a multifunctional protein that plays essential roles in the vital cellular processes of ribosome biogenesis, chromosome segregation, and cell cycle control. ..
- Zaman S, Choudhury M, Jiang J, Srivastava P, Mohanty B, Danielson C, et al. Mechanism of Regulation of Intrachromatid Recombination and Long-Range Chromosome Interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2016;36:1451-63 pubmed publisher..We show further that long-range Fob1-mediated Ter-Ter interactions in trans are downregulated by Sir2. These regulatory mechanisms control intrachromatid recombination and the replicative life span (RLS). ..
- Hickman M, McCullough K, Woike A, Raducha Grace L, Rozario T, Dula M, et al. Isolation and characterization of conditional alleles of the yeast SIR2 gene. J Mol Biol. 2007;367:1246-57 pubmed..in silencing, while deletions encompassing residues 110-146 caused loss of Sir2 interactions with both Sir4 and Net1. This loss of protein interaction correlates with a loss of Sir2-mediated silencing, and is consistent with a model ..
- Ko N, Nishihama R, Tully G, Ostapenko D, Solomon M, Morgan D, et al. Identification of yeast IQGAP (Iqg1p) as an anaphase-promoting-complex substrate and its role in actomyosin-ring-independent cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:5139-53 pubmed..Together, the data suggest that compromise of APC/C function allows the accumulation of Iqg1p, which then promotes actomyosin-ring-independent cytokinesis at least in part by activation of Cyk3p. ..
- Godfrey M, Kuilman T, Uhlmann F. Nur1 dephosphorylation confers positive feedback to mitotic exit phosphatase activation in budding yeast. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004907 pubmed publisher..Cdc14 is sequestered in the nucleolus through inhibitory binding to Net1, from which it is released in anaphase following Net1 phosphorylation...
- Geil C, Schwab M, Seufert W. A nucleolus-localized activator of Cdc14 phosphatase supports rDNA segregation in yeast mitosis. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1001-5 pubmed publisher..During most of the cell cycle, Cdc14 is anchored to the nucleolus and kept inactive by binding to Net1 (also known as Cfi1)...
- Rossio V, Galati E, Ferrari M, Pellicioli A, Sutani T, Shirahige K, et al. The RSC chromatin-remodeling complex influences mitotic exit and adaptation to the spindle assembly checkpoint by controlling the Cdc14 phosphatase. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:981-97 pubmed publisher..interacts physically with the polo kinase Cdc5 and is required for timely phosphorylation of the Cdc14 inhibitor Net1, which is important to free Cdc14 in the active form...
- Petronczki M, Matos J, Mori S, Gregan J, Bogdanova A, Schwickart M, et al. Monopolar attachment of sister kinetochores at meiosis I requires casein kinase 1. Cell. 2006;126:1049-64 pubmed
- Hannan A, Abraham N, Goyal S, Jamir I, Priyakumar U, Mishra K. Sumoylation of Sir2 differentially regulates transcriptional silencing in yeast. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:10213-26 pubmed publisher..SUMO modification of Sir2 impairs interaction with Sir4 but not Net1 and, furthermore, SUMO modified Sir2 shows predominant nucleolar localization...
- Rossio V, Michimoto T, Sasaki T, Ohbayashi I, Kikuchi Y, Yoshida S. Nuclear PP2A-Cdc55 prevents APC-Cdc20 activation during the spindle assembly checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4396-405 pubmed publisher..Because the Cdc55-binding proteins Zds1 and Zds2 inhibit both nuclear accumulation of Cdc55 and SAC activity, we propose that spatial control of PP2A by Zds1 family proteins is important for tight control of SAC and mitotic progression. ..
- Bairwa N, Zzaman S, Mohanty B, Bastia D. Replication fork arrest and rDNA silencing are two independent and separable functions of the replication terminator protein Fob1 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12612-9 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae RENT complex, namely S. cerevisiae Sir2 and S. cerevisiae Net1. Third, deletions of the intra-S phase checkpoint proteins Tof1 and Csm3 abolished fork arrest by Fob1 at Ter ..
- Yellman C, Roeder G. Cdc14 Early Anaphase Release, FEAR, Is Limited to the Nucleus and Dispensable for Efficient Mitotic Exit. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0128604 pubmed publisher..We tested the model for FEAR functions using the FEAR-deficient mutation net1-6cdk...
- Cuperus G, Shafaatian R, Shore D. Locus specificity determinants in the multifunctional yeast silencing protein Sir2. EMBO J. 2000;19:2641-51 pubmed..However, Sir2p's role in rDNA silencing is Sir3/4 independent, requiring instead an essential nucleolar protein, Net1p. We describe two novel classes of SIR2 mutations specific to either HM/telomere or rDNA silencing...
- Kerr G, Sarkar S, Tibbles K, Petronczki M, Millar J, Arumugam P. Meiotic nuclear divisions in budding yeast require PP2A(Cdc55)-mediated antagonism of Net1 phosphorylation by Cdk. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1157-66 pubmed publisher..was released prematurely from the nucleolus concomitant with hyperphosphorylation of its nucleolar anchor protein Net1. Crucially, a mutant form of Net1 that lacks six Cdk phosphorylation sites rescued the meiotic defect of cdc55-mn ..
- Kadyshevskaia E, Koltovaia N. [Participation of SRM5/CDC28, SRM8/NET1, and SRM12/HFI1 genes in checkpoint control in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae]. Genetika. 2009;45:458-70 pubmed..It was shown that mutations srm5/cdc28-srm, srm8/net1-srm, and srm12/hfi1-srm shorten the cell cycle arrest in the presence of DNA damage and influence the checkpoint ..
- Vendrell A, Martínez Pastor M, Gonzalez Novo A, Pascual Ahuir A, Sinclair D, Proft M, et al. Sir2 histone deacetylase prevents programmed cell death caused by sustained activation of the Hog1 stress-activated protein kinase. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1062-8 pubmed publisher..Sir2 is involved in protection against Hog1-induced cell death and can suppress Hog1-induced ROS accumulation. Therefore, cell death seems to be dictated by the balance of ROS induced by Hog1 and the protective effect of Sir2. ..
- Pereira G, Manson C, Grindlay J, Schiebel E. Regulation of the Bfa1p-Bub2p complex at spindle pole bodies by the cell cycle phosphatase Cdc14p. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:367-79 pubmed..These data indicate that Cdc14p activates the MEN in early anaphase but later inactivates it through Bfa1p dephosphorylation and so restricts MEN activity to a short period in anaphase. ..
- Kaizu K, Moriya H, Kitano H. Fragilities caused by dosage imbalance in regulation of the budding yeast cell cycle. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000919 pubmed publisher..The gene products of both CDC14 and ESP1 are regulated by 1ratio1 binding with their inhibitors (Net1 and Pds1), and a mathematical model predicts the extreme fragility of the cell cycle upon overexpression of CDC14 ..
- Tanny J, Kirkpatrick D, Gerber S, Gygi S, Moazed D. Budding yeast silencing complexes and regulation of Sir2 activity by protein-protein interactions. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:6931-46 pubmed..Finally, we provide evidence that the different nicotinamide sensitivities of Sir2/Sir4 and RENT in vitro could contribute to locus-specific differences in how Sir2 activity is regulated in vivo. ..
- Ha C, Sung M, Huh W. Nsi1 plays a significant role in the silencing of ribosomal DNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4892-903 pubmed publisher..localization of 159 nucleolar proteins, we identified 11 proteins whose localization pattern is similar to that of Net1, a well-established rDNA silencing factor...
- Liang F, Richmond D, Wang Y. Coordination of chromatid separation and spindle elongation by antagonistic activities of mitotic and S-phase CDKs. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003319 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the tight temporal control of spindle elongation and cohesin cleavage assure orchestrated chromosome separation and spindle elongation. ..
- Ghidelli S, Donze D, Dhillon N, Kamakaka R. Sir2p exists in two nucleosome-binding complexes with distinct deacetylase activities. EMBO J. 2001;20:4522-35 pubmed..and characterization of two Sir2p-containing protein complexes; one of which contains Sir4p and the other Net1p. The Sir4p-containing complex has an NAD-dependent histone deacetylase activity, while the Net1p-containing ..