Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NDT80
Description: transcription factor NDT80
Alias: transcription factor NDT80
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Benjamin K, Zhang C, Shokat K, Herskowitz I. Control of landmark events in meiosis by the CDK Cdc28 and the meiosis-specific kinase Ime2. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1524-39 pubmed..The requirement of Ime2 for M phase is partially explained by its stimulation of the key meiotic transcription factor Ndt80, which is needed in turn for high Cdc28 activity...
- Pak J, Segall J. Role of Ndt80, Sum1, and Swe1 as targets of the meiotic recombination checkpoint that control exit from pachytene and spore formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6430-40 pubmed..We compared the effects of manipulating the three known targets of the meiotic recombination checkpoint, NDT80, SWE1, and SUM1, in dmc1-arrested cells...
- Dayani Y, Simchen G, Lichten M. Meiotic recombination intermediates are resolved with minimal crossover formation during return-to-growth, an analogue of the mitotic cell cycle. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002083 pubmed publisher..By performing RTG with ndt80 mutants, which arrest in meiosis I prophase with high levels of interhomolog JMs, we could readily monitor JM ..
- Rockmill B, Lefrançois P, Voelkel Meiman K, Oke A, Roeder G, Fung J. High throughput sequencing reveals alterations in the recombination signatures with diminishing Spo11 activity. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003932 pubmed publisher..Arrest by ndt80 restored these events in two severe hypomorphic mutants, suggesting that ndt80-arrested nuclei are capable of ..
- Lo H, Wan L, Rosebrock A, Futcher B, Hollingsworth N. Cdc7-Dbf4 regulates NDT80 transcription as well as reductional segregation during budding yeast meiosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4956-67 pubmed publisher..First, Cdc7 allows expression of NDT80, a meiosis-specific transcriptional activator required for the induction of genes involved in exit from pachytene, ..
- Pierce M, Benjamin K, Montano S, Georgiadis M, Winter E, Vershon A. Sum1 and Ndt80 proteins compete for binding to middle sporulation element sequences that control meiotic gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:4814-25 pubmed..b>Ndt80 is the primary transcriptional activator of the middle sporulation genes and binds to a DNA sequence element ..
- Xu L, Ajimura M, Padmore R, Klein C, Kleckner N. NDT80, a meiosis-specific gene required for exit from pachytene in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6572-81 pubmedWe describe the identification of a new meiosis-specific gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, NDT80. The ndt80 null and point mutants arrest at the pachytene stage of meiosis, with homologs connected by full-length synaptonemal complexes ..
- Oelschlaegel T, Schwickart M, Matos J, Bogdanova A, Camasses A, Havlis J, et al. The yeast APC/C subunit Mnd2 prevents premature sister chromatid separation triggered by the meiosis-specific APC/C-Ama1. Cell. 2005;120:773-88 pubmed..In vitro, Mnd2 inhibits ubiquitination of Pds1 by APC/C-Ama1 but not by other APC/C holo-enzymes. We conclude that chromosome segregation in meiosis depends on the selective inhibition of a meiosis-specific form of the APC/C. ..
- Sawarynski K, Najor N, Kepsel A, Brush G. Sic1-induced DNA rereplication during meiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:232-7 pubmed publisher..In contrast to deletion of DMC1, deletion of NDT80, which encodes a transcription factor required for pachytene exit, did not inhibit DNA rereplication...
- Lo H, Kunz R, Chen X, Marullo A, Gygi S, Hollingsworth N. Cdc7-Dbf4 is a gene-specific regulator of meiotic transcription in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:541-57 pubmed publisher..work reveals another role for Cdc7 in meiosis as a gene-specific regulator of the global transcription factor, Ndt80, which is required for exit from pachytene and entry into the meiotic divisions in budding yeast...
- Sopko R, Raithatha S, Stuart D. Phosphorylation and maximal activity of Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosis-specific transcription factor Ndt80 is dependent on Ime2. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7024-40 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosis-specific transcription factor Ndt80 is responsible for the induction of a class of genes referred to as middle sporulation genes...
- Schindler K, Benjamin K, Martin A, Boglioli A, Herskowitz I, Winter E. The Cdk-activating kinase Cak1p promotes meiotic S phase through Ime2p. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:8718-28 pubmed..These data show that Cak1p is required for the destruction of Sic1p in meiosis, as in mitosis, but in meiosis, it functions through a sporulation-specific kinase. ..
- Thacker D, Mohibullah N, Zhu X, Keeney S. Homologue engagement controls meiotic DNA break number and distribution. Nature. 2014;510:241-6 pubmed publisher..DSB control is genetically distinct from a pathway tying break formation to meiotic progression through the Ndt80 transcription factor...
- Tsuchiya D, Yang Y, Lacefield S. Positive feedback of NDT80 expression ensures irreversible meiotic commitment in budding yeast. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004398 pubmed publisher..Since the Ndt80 transcription factor induces expression of middle meiosis genes necessary for the meiotic divisions, we examined ..
- Blitzblau H, Hochwagen A. ATR/Mec1 prevents lethal meiotic recombination initiation on partially replicated chromosomes in budding yeast. elife. 2013;2:e00844 pubmed publisher..DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00844.001. ..
- Prugar E, Burnett C, Chen X, Hollingsworth N. Coordination of Double Strand Break Repair and Meiotic Progression in Yeast by a Mek1-Ndt80 Negative Feedback Loop. Genetics. 2017;206:497-512 pubmed publisher..The target of this checkpoint is a meiosis-specific transcription factor, Ndt80, which is necessary to express the polo-like kinase CDC5 and the cyclin CLB1 thereby allowing ..
- Lin W, Jin H, Liu X, Hampton K, Yu H. Scc2 regulates gene expression by recruiting cohesin to the chromosome as a transcriptional activator during yeast meiosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1985-96 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that chromosomal binding of cohesin is sufficient for target-gene activation during meiosis. Our data support a noncanonical role for cohesin as a transcriptional activator during cell differentiation. ..
- Katis V, Lipp J, Imre R, Bogdanova A, Okaz E, Habermann B, et al. Rec8 phosphorylation by casein kinase 1 and Cdc7-Dbf4 kinase regulates cohesin cleavage by separase during meiosis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:397-409 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that PP2A protects centromeric cohesion by opposing CK1delta/epsilon- and DDK-dependent phosphorylation of Rec8. ..
- Lamoureux J, Glover J. Principles of protein-DNA recognition revealed in the structural analysis of Ndt80-MSE DNA complexes. Structure. 2006;14:555-65 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae transcription factor Ndt80 selectively binds a DNA consensus sequence (the middle sporulation element [MSE]) to activate gene expression after the successful completion of meiotic recombination...
- De Muyt A, Jessop L, Kolar E, Sourirajan A, Chen J, Dayani Y, et al. BLM helicase ortholog Sgs1 is a central regulator of meiotic recombination intermediate metabolism. Mol Cell. 2012;46:43-53 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sgs1 is a primary regulator of recombination pathway choice during meiosis and suggest a similar function in the mitotic cell cycle. ..
- Cheng Y, Chuang C, Shen H, Lin F, Wang T. Three distinct modes of Mec1/ATR and Tel1/ATM activation illustrate differential checkpoint targeting during budding yeast early meiosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:3365-76 pubmed publisher..These results reveal how DNA replication, DSB repair, and chromosome synapsis are differentially monitored by the meiotic checkpoint network. ..
- Unal E, Kinde B, Amon A. Gametogenesis eliminates age-induced cellular damage and resets life span in yeast. Science. 2011;332:1554-7 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that gamete formation brings about rejuvenation by eliminating age-induced cellular damage. ..
- Demirel P, Keyes B, Chaterjee M, Remington C, Burke D. A redundant function for the N-terminal tail of Ndc80 in kinetochore-microtubule interaction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2012;192:753-6 pubmed publisher..The tail is essential when cells are limited for Dam1, demonstrating a redundant function for the Ndc80 and Dam1 complexes in vivo. ..
- Acosta I, Ontoso D, San Segundo P. The budding yeast polo-like kinase Cdc5 regulates the Ndt80 branch of the meiotic recombination checkpoint pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3478-90 pubmed publisher..In contrast, CDC5 overexpression leads to premature induction of the Ndt80 transcription factor, which drives the expression of genes required for meiotic divisions, including CLB1...
- Lao J, Cloud V, Huang C, Grubb J, Thacker D, Lee C, et al. Meiotic crossover control by concerted action of Rad51-Dmc1 in homolog template bias and robust homeostatic regulation. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003978 pubmed publisher..Thus, robust crossover homeostasis is conferred by integrated regulation at initiation, strand-exchange and maturation steps of meiotic recombination...
- Peoples T, Dean E, Gonzalez O, Lambourne L, Burgess S. Close, stable homolog juxtaposition during meiosis in budding yeast is dependent on meiotic recombination, occurs independently of synapsis, and is distinct from DSB-independent pairing contacts. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1682-95 pubmed..These data suggest that stable, close homolog juxtaposition in yeast is distinct from pre-DSB pairing interactions, requires both DSB and SEI formation, but does not depend on crossovers or SC. ..