Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NAM8
Alias: MRE2, MUD15, Nam8p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Hausmann S, Zheng S, Costanzo M, Brost R, Garcin D, Boone C, et al. Genetic and biochemical analysis of yeast and human cap trimethylguanosine synthase: functional overlap of 2,2,7-trimethylguanosine caps, small nuclear ribonucleoprotein components, pre-mRNA splicing factors, and RNA decay pathways. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31706-18 pubmed publisher..embraced proteins implicated in small nuclear ribonucleoprotein function and spliceosome assembly, including Mud2, Nam8, Brr1, Lea1, Ist3, Isy1, Cwc21, and Bud13...
- Nakagawa T, Ogawa H. Involvement of the MRE2 gene of yeast in formation of meiosis-specific double-strand breaks and crossover recombination through RNA splicing. Genes Cells. 1997;2:65-79 pubmedThe mre2 mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is defective in meiotic recombination and produces inviable spores, but the sensitivities to DNA damaging agents, methyl methanesulphonate and ultraviolet light are not altered by the mutation...
- Fortes P, Kufel J, Fornerod M, Polycarpou Schwarz M, Lafontaine D, Tollervey D, et al. Genetic and physical interactions involving the yeast nuclear cap-binding complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:6543-53 pubmed..Mutants lacking yCBC were found to be defective in rRNA processing. Analysis of the yCBC deletion phenotype suggests that this is likely to be due to a defect in the splicing of a subset of ribosomal protein mRNA precursors. ..
- Spingola M, Ares M. A yeast intronic splicing enhancer and Nam8p are required for Mer1p-activated splicing. Mol Cell. 2000;6:329-38 pubmed..Of several nonessential splicing factors tested, only the U1 snRNP protein Nam8p is indispensable for Mer1 p-activated splicing...
- Qiu Z, Chico L, Chang J, Shuman S, Schwer B. Genetic interactions of hypomorphic mutations in the m7G cap-binding pocket of yeast nuclear cap binding complex: an essential role for Cbc2 in meiosis via splicing of MER3 pre-mRNA. RNA. 2012;18:1996-2011 pubmed publisher..synthetic lethality or sickness with null mutations of proteins involved in early steps of spliceosome assembly (Nam8, Mud1, Swt21, Mud2, Ist3, and Brr1) and with otherwise benign mutations of Msl5, the essential branchpoint binding ..
- Fortes P, Bilbao Cortes D, Fornerod M, Rigaut G, Raymond W, Seraphin B, et al. Luc7p, a novel yeast U1 snRNP protein with a role in 5' splice site recognition. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2425-38 pubmed..These data suggest that the loss of Luc7p disrupts U1 snRNP-CBC interaction, and that this interaction contributes to normal 5' splice site recognition. ..
- Schwer B, Kruchten J, Shuman S. Structure-function analysis and genetic interactions of the SmG, SmE, and SmF subunits of the yeast Sm protein ring. RNA. 2016;22:1320-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that six intact RNA binding sites in the Sm ring suffice for function but five sites may not. ..
- Asher E, Groudinsky O, Dujardin G, Altamura N, Kermorgant M, Slonimski P. Novel class of nuclear genes involved in both mRNA splicing and protein synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;215:517-28 pubmedWe have cloned three distinct nuclear genes, NAM1, NAM7, and NAM8, which alleviate mitochondrial intron mutations of the cytochrome b and COXI (subunit I of cytochrome oxidase) genes when present on multicopy plasmids...
- Kress T, Krogan N, Guthrie C. A single SR-like protein, Npl3, promotes pre-mRNA splicing in budding yeast. Mol Cell. 2008;32:727-34 pubmed publisher..This result provides strong evidence that an SR protein can promote recruitment of splicing factors to chromatin. ..
- Agarwal R, Schwer B, Shuman S. Structure-function analysis and genetic interactions of the Luc7 subunit of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae U1 snRNP. RNA. 2016;22:1302-10 pubmed publisher..i) impaired the splicing of SUS1 pre-mRNA; (ii) was synthetically lethal absent other U1 snRNP constituents (Mud1, Nam8, the TMG cap, the C terminus of Snp1), absent the Mud2 subunit of the Msl5•Mud2 branchpoint binding complex, and ..
- Qiu Z, Schwer B, Shuman S. Two Routes to Genetic Suppression of RNA Trimethylguanosine Cap Deficiency via C-Terminal Truncation of U1 snRNP Subunit Snp1 or Overexpression of RNA Polymerase Subunit Rpo26. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:1361-70 pubmed publisher..The E124A and R135A alleles retained tgs1âˆ† suppressor activity, thereby establishing a separation-of-function. These results illuminate the structure activity profile of an essential RNA polymerase component. ..
- Ju S, Tardiff D, Han H, Divya K, Zhong Q, Maquat L, et al. A yeast model of FUS/TLS-dependent cytotoxicity. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001052 pubmed publisher..a yeast over-expression library identified five yeast DNA/RNA binding proteins, encoded by the yeast genes ECM32, NAM8, SBP1, SKO1, and VHR1, that rescue the toxicity of human FUS/TLS without changing its expression level, cytoplasmic ..
- Rigaut G, Shevchenko A, Rutz B, Wilm M, Mann M, Seraphin B. A generic protein purification method for protein complex characterization and proteome exploration. Nat Biotechnol. 1999;17:1030-2 pubmed..Combined with mass spectrometry, the TAP strategy allows for the identification of proteins interacting with a given target protein. The TAP method has been tested in yeast but should be applicable to other cells or organisms. ..
- Ajimura M, Leem S, Ogawa H. Identification of new genes required for meiotic recombination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1993;133:51-66 pubmed..The mutants were classified into two new complementation groups (MRE2 and MRE11) and eight previously identified groups, which include SPO11, HOP1, REC114, MRE4/MEK1 and genes in the ..
- Schwer B, Shuman S. Structure-function analysis of the Yhc1 subunit of yeast U1 snRNP and genetic interactions of Yhc1 with Mud2, Nam8, Mud1, Tgs1, U1 snRNA, SmD3 and Prp28. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:4697-711 pubmed publisher..YHC1-R21A was synthetically lethal in the absence of Mud2 and synthetically sick in the absence of Nam8, Mud1 and Tgs1 or in the presence of variant U1 snRNAs...
- Kawashima T, Douglass S, Gabunilas J, Pellegrini M, Chanfreau G. Widespread use of non-productive alternative splice sites in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004249 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae but masked by RNA degradation and that the use of alternative splice sites in this organism is mostly aimed at controlling transcript levels rather than increasing proteome diversity. ..
- Arora C, Kee K, Maleki S, Keeney S. Antiviral protein Ski8 is a direct partner of Spo11 in meiotic DNA break formation, independent of its cytoplasmic role in RNA metabolism. Mol Cell. 2004;13:549-59 pubmed..Ski8 works with Spo11 to recruit other DSB proteins to meiotic chromosomes, implicating Ski8 as a scaffold protein mediating assembly of a multiprotein complex essential for DSB formation. ..