Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MUD2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Vincent K, Wang Q, Jay S, Hobbs K, Rymond B. Genetic interactions with CLF1 identify additional pre-mRNA splicing factors and a link between activators of yeast vesicular transport and splicing. Genetics. 2003;164:895-907 pubmed..e., clf1Delta2). The identified genes encode the Mud2, Ntc20, Prp16, Prp17, Prp19, Prp22, and Syf2 splicing factors and four proteins without established contribution to ..
- Wang Q, He J, Lynn B, Rymond B. Interactions of the yeast SF3b splicing factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10745-54 pubmed..promotes prespliceosome assembly through interactions that minimally involve the branchpoint binding protein, Mud2p, and the pre-mRNA...
- Abovich N, Liao X, Rosbash M. The yeast MUD2 protein: an interaction with PRP11 defines a bridge between commitment complexes and U2 snRNP addition. Genes Dev. 1994;8:843-54 pubmed..The biochemical characterization indicates that the MUD2 gene product (MUD2P) contacts pre-mRNA directly and is a component of the pre-mRNA-U1 snRNP complex (commitment complex) that forms ..
- Chang J, Schwer B, Shuman S. Mutational analyses of trimethylguanosine synthase (Tgs1) and Mud2: proteins implicated in pre-mRNA splicing. RNA. 2010;16:1018-31 pubmed publisher..TMG caps are dispensable for vegetative yeast growth, but are essential in the absence of Mud2, the putative yeast homolog of human splicing factor U2AF...
- Qiu Z, Chico L, Chang J, Shuman S, Schwer B. Genetic interactions of hypomorphic mutations in the m7G cap-binding pocket of yeast nuclear cap binding complex: an essential role for Cbc2 in meiosis via splicing of MER3 pre-mRNA. RNA. 2012;18:1996-2011 pubmed publisher..or sickness with null mutations of proteins involved in early steps of spliceosome assembly (Nam8, Mud1, Swt21, Mud2, Ist3, and Brr1) and with otherwise benign mutations of Msl5, the essential branchpoint binding protein...
- Chung S, McLean M, Rymond B. Yeast ortholog of the Drosophila crooked neck protein promotes spliceosome assembly through stable U4/U6.U5 snRNP addition. RNA. 1999;5:1042-54 pubmed..Clf1p interacts specifically and differentially with the U1 snRNP-Prp40p protein and the yeast U2AF65 homolog, Mud2p. Intriguingly, Prp40p and Mud2p also bind the phylogenetically conserved branchpoint binding protein (BBP/SF1)...
- Rain J, Legrain P. In vivo commitment to splicing in yeast involves the nucleotide upstream from the branch site conserved sequence and the Mud2 protein. EMBO J. 1997;16:1759-71 pubmed..Moreover, the Mud2 protein is involved in the recognition of this nucleotide, thus establishing a role for this factor in the in vivo ..
- Hausmann S, Zheng S, Costanzo M, Brost R, Garcin D, Boone C, et al. Genetic and biochemical analysis of yeast and human cap trimethylguanosine synthase: functional overlap of 2,2,7-trimethylguanosine caps, small nuclear ribonucleoprotein components, pre-mRNA splicing factors, and RNA decay pathways. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31706-18 pubmed publisher..embraced proteins implicated in small nuclear ribonucleoprotein function and spliceosome assembly, including Mud2, Nam8, Brr1, Lea1, Ist3, Isy1, Cwc21, and Bud13...
- Rutz B, Seraphin B. Transient interaction of BBP/ScSF1 and Mud2 with the splicing machinery affects the kinetics of spliceosome assembly. RNA. 1999;5:819-31 pubmed..This protein, which is essential in yeast, also interacts with the U2AF65/Mud2 splicing factor. However, its precise role in splicing complex formation is still unclear...
- Yeh C, Chang S, Chen J, Wang H, Chou Y, Wang C, et al. The conserved AU dinucleotide at the 5' end of nascent U1 snRNA is optimized for the interaction with nuclear cap-binding-complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9679-9693 pubmed publisher..Our data also provide a structural interpretation as to why the AU dinucleotide is conserved during evolution. ..
- Schwer B, Shuman S. Structure-function analysis of the Yhc1 subunit of yeast U1 snRNP and genetic interactions of Yhc1 with Mud2, Nam8, Mud1, Tgs1, U1 snRNA, SmD3 and Prp28. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:4697-711 pubmed publisher..YHC1-R21A was synthetically lethal in the absence of Mud2 and synthetically sick in the absence of Nam8, Mud1 and Tgs1 or in the presence of variant U1 snRNAs...
- Carrocci T, Zoerner D, Paulson J, Hoskins A. SF3b1 mutations associated with myelodysplastic syndromes alter the fidelity of branchsite selection in yeast. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:4837-4852 pubmed publisher..We propose that SF3b1 functions to stabilize weak U2/BS duplexes to drive spliceosome assembly and splicing. ..
- Agarwal R, Schwer B, Shuman S. Structure-function analysis and genetic interactions of the Luc7 subunit of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae U1 snRNP. RNA. 2016;22:1302-10 pubmed publisher..lethal absent other U1 snRNP constituents (Mud1, Nam8, the TMG cap, the C terminus of Snp1), absent the Mud2 subunit of the Msl5•Mud2 branchpoint binding complex, and when the m(7)G cap-binding site of Cbc2 was debilitated;..
- Jacewicz A, Chico L, Smith P, Schwer B, Shuman S. Structural basis for recognition of intron branchpoint RNA by yeast Msl5 and selective effects of interfacial mutations on splicing of yeast pre-mRNAs. RNA. 2015;21:401-14 pubmed publisher..assembly by binding the intron branchpoint sequence 5'-UACUAAC and, with its heterodimer partner protein Mud2, establishing cross intron-bridging interactions with the U1 snRNP at the 5' splice site...
- Qiu Z, Schwer B, Shuman S. Two Routes to Genetic Suppression of RNA Trimethylguanosine Cap Deficiency via C-Terminal Truncation of U1 snRNP Subunit Snp1 or Overexpression of RNA Polymerase Subunit Rpo26. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:1361-70 pubmed publisher..The E124A and R135A alleles retained tgs1âˆ† suppressor activity, thereby establishing a separation-of-function. These results illuminate the structure activity profile of an essential RNA polymerase component. ..
- Schwer B, Kruchten J, Shuman S. Structure-function analysis and genetic interactions of the SmG, SmE, and SmF subunits of the yeast Sm protein ring. RNA. 2016;22:1320-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that six intact RNA binding sites in the Sm ring suffice for function but five sites may not. ..
- Benarroch D, Qiu Z, Schwer B, Shuman S. Characterization of a mimivirus RNA cap guanine-N2 methyltransferase. RNA. 2009;15:666-74 pubmed publisher..Our results hint that DMG caps can satisfy many of the functions of TMG caps in vivo. We speculate that DMG capping of mimivirus mRNAs might favor viral protein synthesis in the infected host. ..
- Neves L, Douglass S, Spreafico R, Venkataramanan S, Kress T, Johnson T. The histone variant H2A.Z promotes efficient cotranscriptional splicing in S. cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 2017;31:702-717 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that H2A.Z is required for efficient pre-mRNA splicing and indicate a role for H2A.Z in coordinating the kinetics of transcription elongation and splicing. ..