Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mss51p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Horn D, Fontanesi F, Barrientos A. Exploring protein-protein interactions involving newly synthesized mitochondrial DNA-encoded proteins. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;457:125-39 pubmed
- Mayorga J, Camacho Villasana Y, ShingÃº VÃ¡zquez M, GarcÃa Villegas R, Zamudio Ochoa A, GarcÃa Guerrero A, et al. A Novel Function of Pet54 in Regulation of Cox1 Synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9343-55 pubmed publisher..Pet54 may play a role in Mss51 hemylation/conformational change necessary for translational activity. Moreover, Pet54 physically interacts with the COX1 mRNA, and this binding was independent of the presence of Mss51. ..
- Fontanesi F, Clemente P, Barrientos A. Cox25 teams up with Mss51, Ssc1, and Cox14 to regulate mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 expression and assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:555-66 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that once Ssc1-Mss51 are released from the Cox1 stabilization complex, Cox25 continues to interact with Cox14 and Cox1 to facilitate the formation of multisubunit COX assembly intermediates. ..
- SOTO I, Fontanesi F, Myers R, Hamel P, Barrientos A. A heme-sensing mechanism in the translational regulation of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis. Cell Metab. 2012;16:801-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that heme sensing by Mss51 regulates COX biogenesis and aerobic energy production. ..
- Vlahakis A, Lopez Muniozguren N, Powers T. Calcium channel regulator Mid1 links TORC2-mediated changes in mitochondrial respiration to autophagy. J Cell Biol. 2016;215:779-788 pubmed..These findings describe a novel pathway involving TORC2, mitochondrial oxidative stress, and calcium homeostasis for autophagy regulation. ..
- Bareth B, Nikolov M, Lorenzi I, Hildenbeutel M, Mick D, Helbig C, et al. Oms1 associates with cytochrome c oxidase assembly intermediates to stabilize newly synthesized Cox1. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1570-80 pubmed publisher..Our analyses show that Oms1 participates in cytochrome c oxidase assembly by stabilizing newly synthesized Cox1. ..
- Zamudio Ochoa A, Camacho Villasana Y, GarcÃa Guerrero A, PÃ©rez MartÃnez X. The Pet309 pentatricopeptide repeat motifs mediate efficient binding to the mitochondrial COX1 transcript in yeast. RNA Biol. 2014;11:953-67 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates an in vivo physical interaction between a yeast mitochondrial translational activator and its target mRNA and shows the cooperativity of the PPR domains of Pet309 in interaction with the COX1 mRNA. ..
- Breker M, Gymrek M, Schuldiner M. A novel single-cell screening platform reveals proteome plasticity during yeast stress responses. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:839-50 pubmed publisher..These include bet-hedging strategies, organelle rearrangement, and redistribution of protein localizations. All data are available for download through our online database, LOQATE (localization and quantitation atlas of yeast proteome). ..
- Reinhold R, Bareth B, Balleininger M, Wissel M, Rehling P, Mick D. Mimicking a SURF1 allele reveals uncoupling of cytochrome c oxidase assembly from translational regulation in yeast. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2379-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, exchanging the conserved tyrosine (Y(344)) with aspartate in yeast uncouples translational regulation of Cox1 from cytochrome c oxidase assembly and provides evidence for the dual functionality of Shy1. ..
- Mick D, Vukotic M, Piechura H, Meyer H, Warscheid B, Deckers M, et al. Coa3 and Cox14 are essential for negative feedback regulation of COX1 translation in mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:141-54 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that Coa1 binding to sequestered Mss51 in complex with Cox14, Coa3, and Cox1 is essential for full inactivation. ..
- Fiori A, Perez Martinez X, Fox T. Overexpression of the COX2 translational activator, Pet111p, prevents translation of COX1 mRNA and cytochrome c oxidase assembly in mitochondria of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2005;56:1689-704 pubmed..the untranslated regions of the COX2 mRNA, and by overproduction of the COX1 mRNA-specific activators, Pet309p and Mss51p. These results suggest that excess Pet111p interacts unproductively with factors required for normal COX1 mRNA ..
- Fontanesi F, SOTO I, Horn D, Barrientos A. Mss51 and Ssc1 facilitate translational regulation of cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:245-59 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ssc1, by interacting with Mss51 and Mss51-containing complexes, plays a critical role in Cox1 biogenesis, COX assembly, and the translational regulation of these processes. ..