Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MSS116
Description: ATP-dependent RNA helicase
Alias: ATP-dependent RNA helicase
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Minczuk M, Dmochowska A, Palczewska M, Stepien P. Overexpressed yeast mitochondrial putative RNA helicase Mss116 partially restores proper mtRNA metabolism in strains lacking the Suv3 mtRNA helicase. Yeast. 2002;19:1285-93 pubmed..Here we show that the nuclear gene MSS116, which codes for a mitochondrial putative RNA helicase necessary for splicing of several mt introns, can suppress ..
- Liu F, Putnam A, Jankowsky E. ATP hydrolysis is required for DEAD-box protein recycling but not for duplex unwinding. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20209-14 pubmed publisher..ATP binding, however, appears necessary. ATP hydrolysis is found to be required for fast enzyme release from the RNA and multiple substrate turnovers and thus for enzyme recycling. ..
- Cao W, Coman M, Ding S, Henn A, Middleton E, Bradley M, et al. Mechanism of Mss116 ATPase reveals functional diversity of DEAD-Box proteins. J Mol Biol. 2011;409:399-414 pubmed publisherb>Mss116 is a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial DEAD-box RNA helicase protein that is essential for efficient in vivo splicing of all group I and group II introns and for activation of mRNA translation...
- Bifano A, Turk E, Caprara M. Structure-guided mutational analysis of a yeast DEAD-box protein involved in mitochondrial RNA splicing. J Mol Biol. 2010;398:429-43 pubmed publisher..Using an MSS116 deletion strain, we have expressed plasmid-borne variants of MSS116 containing substitutions in residues predicted ..
- Del Campo M, Tijerina P, Bhaskaran H, Mohr S, Yang Q, Jankowsky E, et al. Do DEAD-box proteins promote group II intron splicing without unwinding RNA?. Mol Cell. 2007;28:159-66 pubmed..Our findings favor the hypothesis that DEAD-box proteins function in group II intron splicing as in other processes by using their unwinding activity to act as RNA chaperones. ..
- Liebeg A, Mayer O, Waldsich C. DEAD-box protein facilitated RNA folding in vivo. RNA Biol. 2010;7:803-11 pubmed..This suggests that ai5? is largely unfolded in the mss116-knockout strain and requires the protein at an early step of folding...
- Markov D, Wojtas I, Tessitore K, Henderson S, McAllister W. Yeast DEAD box protein Mss116p is a transcription elongation factor that modulates the activity of mitochondrial RNA polymerase. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2360-9 pubmed publisher..a yeast strain in which the RNA splicing-related functions of Mss116p are dispensable, overexpression of RPO41 or MSS116 increases cell survival from colonies that were exposed to low temperature, suggesting a role for Mss116p in ..
- Fedorova O, Pyle A. The brace for a growing scaffold: Mss116 protein promotes RNA folding by stabilizing an early assembly intermediate. J Mol Biol. 2012;422:347-65 pubmed publisherThe ai5? group II intron requires a protein cofactor to facilitate native folding in the cell. Yeast protein Mss116 greatly accelerates intron folding under near-physiological conditions both in vivo and in vitro...
- Turk E, Caprara M. Splicing of yeast aI5beta group I intron requires SUV3 to recycle MRS1 via mitochondrial degradosome-promoted decay of excised intron ribonucleoprotein (RNP). J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8585-94 pubmed publisher..We present a model whereby defects in Suv3p result in accumulation of stable, excised group I intron ribonucleoproteins, which result in sequestration of Mrs1p, and a concomitant reduction in splicing of aI5beta. ..
- Xue Q, Zhang J, Zheng Q, Cui Y, Chen L, Chu W, et al. Exploring the molecular basis of dsRNA recognition by Mss116p using molecular dynamics simulations and free-energy calculations. Langmuir. 2013;29:11135-44 pubmed publisher..The results also would provide support for the application of similar approaches to the understanding of other DEAD-box protein-RNA complexes. ..
- Mallam A, Sidote D, Lambowitz A. Molecular insights into RNA and DNA helicase evolution from the determinants of specificity for a DEAD-box RNA helicase. elife. 2014;3:e04630 pubmed publisher..In this study, we used Mss116, a yeast DEAD-box protein that utilizes ATP to locally unwind dsRNA, to investigate helicase specificity and ..
- Zingler N, Solem A, Pyle A. Dual roles for the Mss116 cofactor during splicing of the ai5? group II intron. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:6602-9 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae self-splices under high-salt conditions in vitro, but requires the assistance of the DEAD-box protein Mss116 in vivo and under near-physiological conditions in vitro...
- Markov D, Savkina M, Anikin M, Del Campo M, Ecker K, Lambowitz A, et al. Identification of proteins associated with the yeast mitochondrial RNA polymerase by tandem affinity purification. Yeast. 2009;26:423-40 pubmed publisher..Further, we found that Mss116p inhibits transcription by mtRNAP in vitro in a steady-state reaction. Our results support the hypothesis that Mss116p and Pet127p are involved in modulation of mtRNAP activity. ..