Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MSN5
Description: karyopherin MSN5
Alias: KAP142, STE21, karyopherin MSN5
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Quan X, Tsoulos P, Kuritzky A, Zhang R, Stochaj U. The carrier Msn5p/Kap142p promotes nuclear export of the hsp70 Ssa4p and relocates in response to stress. Mol Microbiol. 2006;62:592-609 pubmed..Taken together, growth and stress conditions that localize the transporter Msn5p to the cytoplasm also induce the nuclear accumulation of its cargo Ssa4p. ..
- Blondel M, Alepuz P, Huang L, Shaham S, Ammerer G, Peter M. Nuclear export of Far1p in response to pheromones requires the export receptor Msn5p/Ste21p. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2284-300 pubmed..Finally, similar to Deltamsn5/ste21 strains, cells expressing a mutant Far1p, which can no longer be exported, exhibit a mating defect, but are able ..
- Alepuz P, Matheos D, Cunningham K, Estruch F. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae RanGTP-binding protein msn5p is involved in different signal transduction pathways. Genetics. 1999;153:1219-31 pubmed..We have cloned the MSN5 gene of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae that is postulated to encode one of these receptors...
- Kunzler M, Trueheart J, Sette C, Hurt E, Thorner J. Mutations in the YRB1 gene encoding yeast ran-binding-protein-1 that impair nucleocytoplasmic transport and suppress yeast mating defects. Genetics. 2001;157:1089-105 pubmed..Also, both yrb1ts mutations suppress the mating defect of a null mutation in MSN5, which encodes the receptor for pheromone-stimulated nuclear export of Ste5...
- Belanger K, Simmons L, Roth J, VanderPloeg K, Lichten L, Fahrenkrog B. The karyopherin Msn5/Kap142 requires Nup82 for nuclear export and performs a function distinct from translocation in RPA protein import. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:43530-9 pubmed..This nup82-3 allele also exhibits synthetic genetic interactions with mutants of the karyopherin MSN5. nup82-3 mutants accumulate the Msn5 export substrate Pho4 within the nucleus at non-permissive temperatures...
- Huang H, Hopper A. In vivo biochemical analyses reveal distinct roles of Î²-importins and eEF1A in tRNA subcellular traffic. Genes Dev. 2015;29:772-83 pubmed publisher..studies provide the first in vivo biochemical evidence that two Î²-importin family members, Los1 (exportin-t) and Msn5 (exportin-5), serve overlapping but distinct roles in tRNA nuclear export...
- Eswara M, McGuire A, Pierce J, Mangroo D. Utp9p facilitates Msn5p-mediated nuclear reexport of retrograded tRNAs in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5007-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the data suggest that Utp9p together with Utp8p translocate aminoacyl-tRNAs from the nucleolus to Msn5p and assist with formation of the Msn5p-tRNA-Gsp1p-GTP export complex. ..
- Bakhrat A, Baranes Bachar K, Reshef D, Voloshin O, Krichevsky O, Raveh D. Nuclear export of Ho endonuclease of yeast via Msn5. Curr Genet. 2008;54:271-81 pubmed publisher..b>Msn5, the yeast ortholog, exports primarily phosphorylated cargoes including Ho endonuclease and a number of ..
- Ueta R, Fujiwara N, Iwai K, Yamaguchi Iwai Y. Mechanism underlying the iron-dependent nuclear export of the iron-responsive transcription factor Aft1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2980-90 pubmed
- Wang Y, Chen W, Simpson D, Elion E. Cdc24 regulates nuclear shuttling and recruitment of the Ste5 scaffold to a heterotrimeric G protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13084-96 pubmed..Collectively, these findings suggest that Cdc24 mediates site-specific localization of Ste5 to a heterotrimeric G protein and may therefore ensure localized activation of the associated MAPK cascade. ..
- Damelin M, Silver P. Mapping interactions between nuclear transport factors in living cells reveals pathways through the nuclear pore complex. Mol Cell. 2000;5:133-40 pubmed..With this approach, we define points of contact in the NPC for the related importin Pse1/Kap121 and exportin Msn5. These data demonstrate the utility of FRET in mapping dynamic protein interactions in a genetic system...
- Springer M, Wykoff D, Miller N, O Shea E. Partially phosphorylated Pho4 activates transcription of a subset of phosphate-responsive genes. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E28 pubmed..Differential phosphorylation of Pho4 by Pho80-Pho85 produces phosphorylated forms of Pho4 that differ in their ability to activate transcription, contributing to multiple outputs. ..
- Jaquenoud M, van Drogen F, Peter M. Cell cycle-dependent nuclear export of Cdh1p may contribute to the inactivation of APC/C(Cdh1). EMBO J. 2002;21:6515-26 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that phosphorylation-dependent nuclear export of Cdh1p by Msn5p contributes to efficient inactivation of APC/C(Cdh1). ..
- Huang H, Hopper A. Separate responses of karyopherins to glucose and amino acid availability regulate nucleocytoplasmic transport. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:2840-52 pubmed publisherThe importin-? family members (karyopherins) mediate the majority of nucleocytoplasmic transport. Msn5 and Los1, members of the importin-? family, function in tRNA nuclear export...
- Finn E, Deroo E, Clement G, Rao S, Kruse S, Kokanovich K, et al. A subset of FG-nucleoporins is necessary for efficient Msn5-mediated nuclear protein export. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:1096-103 pubmed publisher..We have developed a novel kinetic assay to investigate the relative export kinetics mediated by the karyopherin Msn5/Kap142 in yeast containing specific FG-Nup mutations...
- Lallet S, Garreau H, Poisier C, Boy Marcotte E, Jacquet M. Heat shock-induced degradation of Msn2p, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae transcription factor, occurs in the nucleus. Mol Genet Genomics. 2004;272:353-62 pubmed..These findings provide new insights into the mechanisms by which Msn2p is transiently activated in response to stress. ..
- Sunnåker M, Zamora Sillero E, Dechant R, Ludwig C, Busetto A, Wagner A, et al. Automatic generation of predictive dynamic models reveals nuclear phosphorylation as the key Msn2 control mechanism. Sci Signal. 2013;6:ra41 pubmed publisher..Similar principles could apply to mammalian stress response pathways. Systematic construction of dynamic models may yield detailed insight into nonobvious molecular mechanisms. ..
- Towpik J, Graczyk D, Gajda A, Lefebvre O, Boguta M. Derepression of RNA polymerase III transcription by phosphorylation and nuclear export of its negative regulator, Maf1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:17168-74 pubmed publisher..This relocation was dependent on Msn5, a carrier responsible for export of several other phosphoproteins out of the nucleus...
- Queralt E, Igual J. Cell cycle activation of the Swi6p transcription factor is linked to nucleocytoplasmic shuttling. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3126-40 pubmed..Phenotypic analysis of the msn5 mutant revealed an increase in cell size and a functional interaction between Msn5p and the cell cycle ..
- Hu Z, Wang Y, Yu L, Mahanty S, Mendoza N, Elion E. Mapping regions in Ste5 that support Msn5-dependent and -independent nuclear export. Biochem Cell Biol. 2016;94:109-28 pubmed publisher..One region is N-terminal, dependent on exportin Msn5/Ste21/Kap142, and interacts with Msn5 in 2 hybrid assays independently of mating pheromone, Fus3, Kss1, Ptc1, the NLS/PM, and ..
- Bose S, Dutko J, Zitomer R. Genetic factors that regulate the attenuation of the general stress response of yeast. Genetics. 2005;169:1215-26 pubmed..The levels of Msn2 were significantly reduced in msn5 deletion cells that have been shown to constitutively retain Msn2 in the nucleus...
- Taberner F, Quilis I, Igual J. Spatial regulation of the start repressor Whi5. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:3010-8 pubmed..The nuclear export of Whi5 is assisted by beta-karyopherin Msn5. A two-hybrid assay indicates a physical interaction between Whi5 and Msn5...
- Byrne M, Miller N, Springer M, O Shea E. A distal, high-affinity binding site on the cyclin-CDK substrate Pho4 is important for its phosphorylation and regulation. J Mol Biol. 2004;335:57-70 pubmed..Interestingly, the K(D) derived from the in vitro data correlates well with the strength of the in vivo phenotypes, demonstrating that the in vitro data are relevant to the in vivo regulation of Pho4. ..
- Yoshida K, Blobel G. The karyopherin Kap142p/Msn5p mediates nuclear import and nuclear export of different cargo proteins. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:729-40 pubmed..In wild-type cells, RPA was localized primarily to the nucleus but, in a KAP142 deletion strain, RPA was mislocalized to the cytoplasm and the strain was highly sensitive to bleomycin (BLM)...
- Tadi D, Hasan R, Bussereau F, Boy Marcotte E, Jacquet M. Selection of genes repressed by cAMP that are induced by nutritional limitation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1999;15:1733-45 pubmed..The Msn2p/Msn4p-independent expression of the six other genes suggests the existence of other regulatory systems under the control of this pathway. ..
- Taberner F, Quilis I, Sendra J, Bañó M, Igual J. Regulation of cell cycle transcription factor Swi5 by karyopherin Msn5. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1823:959-70 pubmed publisherInactivation of S. cerevisiae ?-karyopherin Msn5 causes hypersensitivity to the overexpression of mitotic cyclin Clb2 and aggravates growth defects of many mutant strains in mitotic exit, suggesting a connection between Msn5 and mitotic ..
- Quilis I, Igual J. Molecular basis of the functional distinction between Cln1 and Cln2 cyclins. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:3117-31 pubmed publisher..For Cln2, but not for Cln1, a nuclear export mechanism mediated by karyopherin Msn5 has been identified. Strikingly, Cln2 export depends on a Msn5-dependent NES between amino acids 225 and 299...
- Harkness T, Shea K, Legrand C, Brahmania M, Davies G. A functional analysis reveals dependence on the anaphase-promoting complex for prolonged life span in yeast. Genetics. 2004;168:759-74 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that APC-dependent genomic stability is linked to prolonged longevity by the antagonistic regulation of the PKA and Snf1p pathways. ..
- Boustany L, Cyert M. Calcineurin-dependent regulation of Crz1p nuclear export requires Msn5p and a conserved calcineurin docking site. Genes Dev. 2002;16:608-19 pubmed..Therefore, in yeast as in mammals, a docking site is required to target calcineurin to its substrate such that it can dephosphorylate it efficiently. ..
- Peña C, Schütz S, Fischer U, Chang Y, Panse V. Prefabrication of a ribosomal protein subcomplex essential for eukaryotic ribosome formation. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Thus, prefabrication of a native-like r-protein subcomplex drives efficient and accurate construction of the eukaryotic ribosome. ..