Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MSI1
Alias: CAC3, Msi1p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Sun Z, Hampsey M. A general requirement for the Sin3-Rpd3 histone deacetylase complex in regulating silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1999;152:921-32 pubmed..We also show that the Cac3 subunit of the CAF-I chromatin assembly factor and Sin3-Rpd3 exert antagonistic effects on silencing...
- Chen Y, Baker R, Keith K, Harris K, Stoler S, Fitzgerald Hayes M. The N terminus of the centromere H3-like protein Cse4p performs an essential function distinct from that of the histone fold domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7037-48 pubmed..The structure-function characteristics of the Cse4p N terminus are relevant to understanding how other H3-like proteins, such as the human homolog CENP-A, function in kinetochore assembly and chromosome segregation. ..
- Fillingham J, Kainth P, Lambert J, van Bakel H, Tsui K, Pena Castillo L, et al. Two-color cell array screen reveals interdependent roles for histone chaperones and a chromatin boundary regulator in histone gene repression. Mol Cell. 2009;35:340-51 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that this pathway may represent a chromatin regulatory mechanism that is broadly used across the genome. ..
- Turner E, Malo M, Pisclevich M, Dash M, Davies G, Arnason T, et al. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae anaphase-promoting complex interacts with multiple histone-modifying enzymes to regulate cell cycle progression. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:1418-31 pubmed publisher..Increased expression of ELP3 and GCN5, as well as genes encoding the HAT Rtt109 and the chromatin assembly factors Msi1 and Asf1, suppressed apc5(CA) defects, while increased APC5 expression partially suppressed elp3? gcn5? growth ..
- Qian Y, Wang Y, Hollingsworth R, Jones D, Ling N, Lee E. A retinoblastoma-binding protein related to a negative regulator of Ras in yeast. Nature. 1993;364:648-52 pubmed..Like Rb, p48 is a ubiquitously expressed nuclear protein. RbAp48 share sequence homology with MSI1, a negative regulator of the Ras-cyclic AMP pathway in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Kats E, Albuquerque C, Zhou H, Kolodner R. Checkpoint functions are required for normal S-phase progression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae RCAF- and CAF-I-defective mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:3710-5 pubmed..Our data suggest that RCAF defects lead to unstable replication forks that are then stabilized by replication checkpoint proteins, whereas CAF-I defects likely cause different types of DNA damage. ..
- Hubbard E, Yang X, Carlson M. Relationship of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase pathway to the SNF1 protein kinase and invertase expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1992;130:71-80 pubmed..Among the nine genes recovered were two genes from the cAMP-dependent protein kinase (cAPK) pathway, MSI1 and PDE2...
- Johnston S, Enomoto S, Schneper L, McClellan M, Twu F, Montgomery N, et al. CAC3(MSI1) suppression of RAS2(G19V) is independent of chromatin assembly factor I and mediated by NPR1. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1784-94 pubmedCac3p/Msi1p, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homolog of retinoblastoma-associated protein 48 (RbAp48), is a component of chromatin assembly factor I (CAF-I), a complex that assembles histones H3 and H4 onto replicated DNA...
- Liu W, Roemer S, Port A, Churchill M. CAF-1-induced oligomerization of histones H3/H4 and mutually exclusive interactions with Asf1 guide H3/H4 transitions among histone chaperones and DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:11229-39 pubmed publisher..Thus, transition of H3/H4 from the Asf1-associated dimer to the DNA-associated tetramer is promoted by CAF-1-induced H3/H4 oligomerization. ..
- Ruggieri R, Tanaka K, Nakafuku M, Kaziro Y, Toh e A, Matsumoto K. MSI1, a negative regulator of the RAS-cAMP pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:8778-82 pubmed..One such suppressor, MSI1, was found to encode a putative protein of 422 amino acids that shows homology to the beta subunit of the mammalian ..
- Annan R, Wu C, Waller D, Whiteway M, Thomas D. Rho5p is involved in mediating the osmotic stress response in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and its activity is regulated via Msi1p and Npr1p by phosphorylation and ubiquitination. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:1441-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Msi1p also acts via Npr1p to suppress activated Rho5p signaling...
- Pratt Z, Drehman B, Miller M, Johnston S. Mutual interdependence of MSI1 (CAC3) and YAK1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Mol Biol. 2007;368:30-43 pubmed..Seeking to identify the molecular mechanisms by which Msi1p carries out these distinct activities, a novel genetic interaction was uncovered with YAK1, which encodes a kinase ..
- Zhou H, Madden B, Muddiman D, Zhang Z. Chromatin assembly factor 1 interacts with histone H3 methylated at lysine 79 in the processes of epigenetic silencing and DNA repair. Biochemistry. 2006;45:2852-61 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that CAF-1 interacts with H3 methylated at lysine 79 during the processes of epigenetic silencing and DNA repair. ..
- Lewis L, Karthikeyan G, Cassiano J, Resnick M. Reduction of nucleosome assembly during new DNA synthesis impairs both major pathways of double-strand break repair. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:4928-39 pubmedAssembly of new chromatin during S phase requires the histone chaperone complexes CAF-1 (Cac2p, Msi1p and Rlf2p) and RCAF (Asf1p plus acetylated histones H3 and H4)...
- Masumoto H, Hawke D, Kobayashi R, Verreault A. A role for cell-cycle-regulated histone H3 lysine 56 acetylation in the DNA damage response. Nature. 2005;436:294-8 pubmed..We suggest that the acetylation of histone H3 K56 creates a favourable chromatin environment for DNA repair and that a key component of the DNA damage response is to preserve this acetylation. ..
- Harkness T, Arnason T, Legrand C, Pisclevich M, Davies G, Turner E. Contribution of CAF-I to anaphase-promoting-complex-mediated mitotic chromatin assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:673-84 pubmed..When present in multiple copies, the individual CAF-I genes, CAC1, CAC2, and MSI1, suppress apc5(CA) phenotypes in a CAF-1- and Asf1p-independent manner...
- Huang H, Hong J, Burck C, Liebman S. Host genes that affect the target-site distribution of the yeast retrotransposon Ty1. Genetics. 1999;151:1393-407 pubmed..We found that the simultaneous inactivation of Hir3 (a histone transcription regulator) and Cac3 (a subunit of the chromatin assembly factor I), which was previously shown by us to increase the Ty1 transposition ..
- Zhu X, Démolis N, Jacquet M, Michaeli T. MSI1 suppresses hyperactive RAS via the cAMP-dependent protein kinase and independently of chromatin assembly factor-1. Curr Genet. 2000;38:60-70 pubmed..Hyperactive RAS can be suppressed by overexpression of MSI1, a subunit of chromatin assembly factor-1 (yCAF-1)...
- Janke R, King G, Kupiec M, Rine J. Pivotal roles of PCNA loading and unloading in heterochromatin function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115:E2030-E2039 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data identified a mechanism by which chromatin reassembly is coordinated with DNA replication to maintain silencing through S-phase. ..