Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MRS4
Description: Fe(2+) transporter
Alias: Fe(2+) transporter
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Wiesenberger G, Link T, von Ahsen U, Waldherr M, Schweyen R. MRS3 and MRS4, two suppressors of mtRNA splicing defects in yeast, are new members of the mitochondrial carrier family. J Mol Biol. 1991;217:23-37 pubmedWhen present in high copy number plasmids, the nuclear genes MRS3 and MRS4 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae can suppress the mitochondrial RNA splicing defects of several mit- intron mutations...
- Lin H, Li L, Jia X, Ward D, Kaplan J. Genetic and biochemical analysis of high iron toxicity in yeast: iron toxicity is due to the accumulation of cytosolic iron and occurs under both aerobic and anaerobic conditions. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:3851-62 pubmed publisher..in aerobically grown ?ccc1 cells encode organelle iron transporters including mitochondrial iron transporters MRS3, MRS4, and RIM2...
- Yoon H, Zhang Y, Pain J, Lyver E, Lesuisse E, Pain D, et al. Rim2, a pyrimidine nucleotide exchanger, is needed for iron utilization in mitochondria. Biochem J. 2011;440:137-46 pubmed publisher..screen looking for yeast mutants that are synthetically lethal with the mitochondrial iron carriers Mrs3 and Mrs4. Several genes were identified, including an isolate mutated for Yfh1, the yeast frataxin homologue...
- Froschauer E, Rietzschel N, Hassler M, Binder M, Schweyen R, Lill R, et al. The mitochondrial carrier Rim2 co-imports pyrimidine nucleotides and iron. Biochem J. 2013;455:57-65 pubmed publisher..The mitochondrial carrier family members Mrs3 and Mrs4 (homologues of vertebrate mitoferrin) function in organellar iron supply, yet other low efficiency transporters may ..
- Brazzolotto X, Pierrel F, Pelosi L. Three conserved histidine residues contribute to mitochondrial iron transport through mitoferrins. Biochem J. 2014;460:79-89 pubmed publisher..A model describing how these residues help iron to transit smoothly across the carrier cavity is proposed and compared with the structural and biochemical data available for other carriers in this family. ..
- Shaw G, Cope J, Li L, Corson K, Hersey C, Ackermann G, et al. Mitoferrin is essential for erythroid iron assimilation. Nature. 2006;440:96-100 pubmed..Disruption of the yeast mfrn orthologues, MRS3 and MRS4, causes defects in iron metabolism and mitochondrial Fe-S cluster biogenesis...
- Zhang Y, Lyver E, Knight S, Lesuisse E, Dancis A. Frataxin and mitochondrial carrier proteins, Mrs3p and Mrs4p, cooperate in providing iron for heme synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19794-807 pubmed..Deletion of the yeast frataxin homolog (YFH1) was combined with deletions of MRS3 and MRS4, mitochondrial carrier proteins implicated in iron homeostasis...
- Waldherr M, Ragnini A, Jank B, Teply R, Wiesenberger G, Schweyen R. A multitude of suppressors of group II intron-splicing defects in yeast. Curr Genet. 1993;24:301-6 pubmed..MRS3 and MRS4, the genes for two mitochondrial-solute carrier proteins, can suppress both phenotypes when present in high-copy-..