Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MMM1
Description: ERMES complex subunit MMM1
Alias: YME6, ERMES complex subunit MMM1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Burgess S, Delannoy M, Jensen R. MMM1 encodes a mitochondrial outer membrane protein essential for establishing and maintaining the structure of yeast mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 1994;126:1375-91 pubmed..One of these mutants, mmm1, is temperature-sensitive for the external shape of its mitochondria...
- Yamano K, Tanaka Yamano S, Endo T. Tom7 regulates Mdm10-mediated assembly of the mitochondrial import channel protein Tom40. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:41222-31 pubmed publisher..These results collectively show that Tom7 recruits Mdm10, enhancing its association with the MMM1 complex, to regulate timing of the release of Tom40 from the TOB complex for subsequent assembly into the TOM40 ..
- Tan T, Ozbalci C, Br gger B, Rapaport D, Dimmer K. Mcp1 and Mcp2, two novel proteins involved in mitochondrial lipid homeostasis. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3563-74 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this work identifies two novel proteins that play a role in mitochondrial lipid homeostasis and describes a role of Mdm10 in ergosterol trafficking...
- Tamura Y, Onguka O, Hobbs A, Jensen R, Iijima M, Claypool S, et al. Role for two conserved intermembrane space proteins, Ups1p and Ups2p, [corrected] in intra-mitochondrial phospholipid trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:15205-18 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Ups proteins and Mdm31p play important roles in phospholipid biosynthesis in mitochondria. Ups proteins may function in phospholipid trafficking between the outer and inner mitochondrial membranes. ..
- Park J, Thorsness M, Policastro R, McGoldrick L, Hollingsworth N, Thorsness P, et al. Yeast Vps13 promotes mitochondrial function and is localized at membrane contact sites. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:2435-49 pubmed publisher..Introduction of VPS13A mutations identified in ChAc patients at cognate sites in yeast VPS13 are specifically defective in compensating for the lack of ERMES, suggesting that mitochondrial dysfunction might be the basis for ChAc. ..
- Kojima R, Kajiura S, Sesaki H, Endo T, Tamura Y. Identification of multi-copy suppressors for endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria tethering proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:3061-70 pubmed publisher..To gain insight into ERMES functions, we screened multi-copy suppressors of the growth-defective phenotype of mmm1? cells, which lack a core component of ERMES, and identified MCP1, MGA2, SPT23, and YGR250C (termed RIE1)...
- Nguyen T, Lewandowska A, Choi J, Markgraf D, Junker M, Bilgin M, et al. Gem1 and ERMES do not directly affect phosphatidylserine transport from ER to mitochondria or mitochondrial inheritance. Traffic. 2012;13:880-90 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that ERMES complexes are long-lived, and do not depend on the presence of Gem1. Our findings suggest that the ERMES complex may have primarily a structural role in maintaining mitochondrial morphology. ..
- Kojima R, Endo T, Tamura Y. A phospholipid transfer function of ER-mitochondria encounter structure revealed in vitro. Sci Rep. 2016;6:30777 pubmed publisher..This in vitro assay system thus offers a powerful tool to analyze the non-vesicular phospholipid transport between the ER and mitochondria. ..
- Xue Y, Schmollinger S, Attar N, Campos O, Vogelauer M, Carey M, et al. Endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria junction is required for iron homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13197-13204 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that proper communication between the ER and mitochondria is required for appropriate maintenance of cellular iron levels. ..
- Dimmer K, Jakobs S, Vogel F, Altmann K, Westermann B. Mdm31 and Mdm32 are inner membrane proteins required for maintenance of mitochondrial shape and stability of mitochondrial DNA nucleoids in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:103-15 pubmed..Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is instable in the mutants, mtDNA nucleoids are disorganized, and their association with Mmm1-containing complexes in the outer membrane is abolished...
- Jeong H, Park J, Lee C. Crystal structure of Mdm12 reveals the architecture and dynamic organization of the ERMES complex. EMBO Rep. 2016;17:1857-1871 pubmed..The ERMES complex is composed of Mdm12, Mmm1, and Mdm34, which have a SMP domain in common, and Mdm10. Here, we report the crystal structure of S...