Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MGM1
Description: dynamin-related GTPase MGM1
Alias: MNA1, dynamin-related GTPase MGM1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Herlan M, Vogel F, Bornhovd C, Neupert W, Reichert A. Processing of Mgm1 by the rhomboid-type protease Pcp1 is required for maintenance of mitochondrial morphology and of mitochondrial DNA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27781-8 pubmed..Deletion of the mitochondrial dynamin-like protein Mgm1 in yeast leads to extensive fragmentation of mitochondria and loss of mitochondrial DNA...
- Zick M, Duvezin Caubet S, Schäfer A, Vogel F, Neupert W, Reichert A. Distinct roles of the two isoforms of the dynamin-like GTPase Mgm1 in mitochondrial fusion. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2237-43 pubmed publisherThe mitochondrial dynamin-like GTPase Mgm1 exists as a long (l-Mgm1) and a short isoform (s-Mgm1). They both are essential for mitochondrial fusion. Here we show that the isoforms interact in a homotypic and heterotypic manner...
- Sesaki H, Southard S, Yaffe M, Jensen R. Mgm1p, a dynamin-related GTPase, is essential for fusion of the mitochondrial outer membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2342-56 pubmed..We provide direct evidence that the dynamin-related Mgm1 protein is also required for mitochondrial fusion...
- Abutbul Ionita I, Rujiviphat J, Nir I, McQuibban G, Danino D. Membrane tethering and nucleotide-dependent conformational changes drive mitochondrial genome maintenance (Mgm1) protein-mediated membrane fusion. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:36634-8 pubmed publisher..we have characterized by cryo-electron microscopy and in vitro liposome fusion assays how the mitochondrial dynamin Mgm1 may mediate membrane fusion...
- DeVay R, Dominguez Ramirez L, Lackner L, Hoppins S, Stahlberg H, Nunnari J. Coassembly of Mgm1 isoforms requires cardiolipin and mediates mitochondrial inner membrane fusion. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:793-803 pubmed publisher..are essential for fusion of the outer and inner mitochondrial membranes, Fzo1 (yeast)/Mfn1/Mfn2 (mammals) and Mgm1 (yeast)/Opa1 (mammals), respectively...
- Schäfer A, Zick M, Kief J, Steger M, Heide H, Duvezin Caubet S, et al. Intramembrane proteolysis of Mgm1 by the mitochondrial rhomboid protease is highly promiscuous regarding the sequence of the cleaved hydrophobic segment. J Mol Biol. 2010;401:182-93 pubmed publisher..We investigated these requirements for the mitochondrial rhomboid protease Pcp1 and its substrate Mgm1. In contrast to several other rhomboid proteases, Pcp1 does not require helix-breaking amino acids in the cleaved ..
- Amutha B, Gordon D, Gu Y, Pain D. A novel role of Mgm1p, a dynamin-related GTPase, in ATP synthase assembly and cristae formation/maintenance. Biochem J. 2004;381:19-23 pubmed..We show that Mgm1p serves as an upstream regulator of Tim11p protein stability, ATP synthase assembly, cristae morphology and cytochrome c storage within cristae. ..
- Rujiviphat J, Meglei G, Rubinstein J, McQuibban G. Phospholipid association is essential for dynamin-related protein Mgm1 to function in mitochondrial membrane fusion. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28682-6 pubmed publisherb>Mgm1, the yeast ortholog of mammalian OPA1, is a key component in mitochondrial membrane fusion and is required for maintaining mitochondrial dynamics and morphology...
- Chan E, McQuibban G. Phosphatidylserine decarboxylase 1 (Psd1) promotes mitochondrial fusion by regulating the biophysical properties of the mitochondrial membrane and alternative topogenesis of mitochondrial genome maintenance protein 1 (Mgm1). J Biol Chem. 2012;287:40131-9 pubmed publisher..Decreasing phosphatidylethanolamine reduces the rate of lipid mixing and the biogenesis of Mgm1, a mitochondrial fusion protein. Psd1 regulates the lipid and protein machineries of mitochondrial fusion...
- Bernhardt D, MÃ¼ller M, Reichert A, Osiewacz H. Simultaneous impairment of mitochondrial fission and fusion reduces mitophagy and shortens replicative lifespan. Sci Rep. 2015;5:7885 pubmed publisher..mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in which two essential components of the fission and fusion machinery, Dnm1 and Mgm1, are simultaneously ablated, contain wild-type like filamentous mitochondria, but are characterized by impaired ..
- Rujiviphat J, Wong M, Won A, Shih Y, Yip C, McQuibban G. Mitochondrial Genome Maintenance 1 (Mgm1) Protein Alters Membrane Topology and Promotes Local Membrane Bending. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:2599-609 pubmed publisher..We previously reported that the mitochondrial dynamin-related protein mitochondrial genome maintenance 1 (Mgm1) mediates fusion by first tethering opposing membranes and then undergoing a nucleotide-dependent structural ..
- Harner M, Unger A, Geerts W, Mari M, Izawa T, Stenger M, et al. An evidence based hypothesis on the existence of two pathways of mitochondrial crista formation. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..The proposed hypothesis is suggested to apply also to higher eukaryotes, since the key components are conserved in structure and function throughout evolution. ..