Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mex67p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Strasser K, Bassler J, Hurt E. Binding of the Mex67p/Mtr2p heterodimer to FXFG, GLFG, and FG repeat nucleoporins is essential for nuclear mRNA export. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:695-706 pubmedIt is not known how Mex67p and Mtr2p, which form a heterodimer essential for mRNA export, transport mRNPs through the nuclear pore...
- Segref A, Sharma K, Doye V, Hellwig A, Huber J, Luhrmann R, et al. Mex67p, a novel factor for nuclear mRNA export, binds to both poly(A)+ RNA and nuclear pores. EMBO J. 1997;16:3256-71 pubmedAn essential cellular factor for nuclear mRNA export called Mex67p which has homologous proteins in human and Caenorhabditis elegans was identified through its genetic interaction with nucleoporin Nup85p...
- Hieronymus H, Silver P. Genome-wide analysis of RNA-protein interactions illustrates specificity of the mRNA export machinery. Nat Genet. 2003;33:155-61 pubmed
- Yao W, Lutzmann M, Hurt E. A versatile interaction platform on the Mex67-Mtr2 receptor creates an overlap between mRNA and ribosome export. EMBO J. 2008;27:6-16 pubmed..Thus, the Mex67-Mtr2 export receptor employs a versatile binding platform on its surface that could create a crosstalk between mRNA and ribosome export pathways. ..
- Faza M, Chang Y, Occhipinti L, Kemmler S, Panse V. Role of Mex67-Mtr2 in the nuclear export of 40S pre-ribosomes. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002915 pubmed publisher..Mex67-Mtr2 could engage a regulatory crosstalk among the three major export pathways for optimal cellular growth and proliferation. ..
- Katahira J, Strasser K, Podtelejnikov A, Mann M, Jung J, Hurt E. The Mex67p-mediated nuclear mRNA export pathway is conserved from yeast to human. EMBO J. 1999;18:2593-609 pubmedHuman TAP is an orthologue of the yeast mRNA export factor Mex67p. In mammalian cells, TAP has a preferential intranuclear localization, but can also be detected at the nuclear pores and shuttles between the nucleus and the cytoplasm...
- Lei E, Stern C, Fahrenkrog B, Krebber H, Moy T, Aebi U, et al. Sac3 is an mRNA export factor that localizes to cytoplasmic fibrils of nuclear pore complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:836-47 pubmed..Finally, Mex67 accumulates at the nuclear rim when SAC3 is mutated, suggesting that Sac3 functions in Mex67 translocation through the NPC. ..
- Gilbert W, Guthrie C. The Glc7p nuclear phosphatase promotes mRNA export by facilitating association of Mex67p with mRNA. Mol Cell. 2004;13:201-12 pubmedmRNA export is mediated by Mex67p:Mtr2p/NXF1:p15, a conserved heterodimeric export receptor that is thought to bind mRNAs through the RNA binding adaptor protein Yra1p/REF...
- Vinciguerra P, Iglesias N, Camblong J, Zenklusen D, Stutz F. Perinuclear Mlp proteins downregulate gene expression in response to a defect in mRNA export. EMBO J. 2005;24:813-23 pubmedThe mRNA export adaptor Yra1p/REF contributes to nascent mRNP assembly and recruitment of the export receptor Mex67p. yra1 mutants exhibit mRNA export defects and a decrease in LacZ reporter and certain endogenous transcripts...
- Jimeno S, Tous C, García Rubio M, Ranes M, González Aguilera C, Marin A, et al. New suppressors of THO mutations identify Thp3 (Ypr045c)-Csn12 as a protein complex involved in transcription elongation. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:674-85 pubmed publisher..Thp3-Csn12 also copurifies with ribosomal proteins, which opens the possibility that it has other functions in addition to transcription. ..
- Hung N, Lo K, Patel S, Helmke K, Johnson A. Arx1 is a nuclear export receptor for the 60S ribosomal subunit in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:735-44 pubmed..These results show that Arx1 can directly bridge the interaction between the pre-60S particle and the NPC and thus is a third export receptor for the 60S subunit in yeast. ..
- Faza M, Kemmler S, Jimeno S, González Aguilera C, Aguilera A, Hurt E, et al. Sem1 is a functional component of the nuclear pore complex-associated messenger RNA export machinery. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:833-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sem1 is a versatile protein that might stabilize multiple protein complexes involved in diverse pathways. ..
- Fribourg S, Conti E. Structural similarity in the absence of sequence homology of the messenger RNA export factors Mtr2 and p15. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:699-703 pubmed..In addition, Mtr2 presents a long internal loop, which contains residues that affect the export of the large ribosomal subunit. ..
- Lund M, Guthrie C. The DEAD-box protein Dbp5p is required to dissociate Mex67p from exported mRNPs at the nuclear rim. Mol Cell. 2005;20:645-51 pubmed..In dbp5 mutant cells, the mRNA export receptor Mex67p accumulates on mRNA...
- Hackmann A, Gross T, Baierlein C, Krebber H. The mRNA export factor Npl3 mediates the nuclear export of large ribosomal subunits. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1024-31 pubmed publisher..Mutations in NPL3 lead to export defects of the large subunit and genetic interactions with other pre-60S export factors...
- Terry L, Wente S. Nuclear mRNA export requires specific FG nucleoporins for translocation through the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1121-32 pubmed..These results pinpoint distinct steps in the mRNA export mechanism that regulate NPC translocation efficiency. ..
- Jimeno S, Rondón A, Luna R, Aguilera A. The yeast THO complex and mRNA export factors link RNA metabolism with transcription and genome instability. EMBO J. 2002;21:3526-35 pubmed..These results indicate a functional link between the processes of elongation and metabolism of nascent mRNA mediated by THO and mRNA export proteins, which have important consequences for the maintenance of genome stability. ..
- Gwizdek C, Iglesias N, Rodriguez M, Ossareh Nazari B, Hobeika M, Divita G, et al. Ubiquitin-associated domain of Mex67 synchronizes recruitment of the mRNA export machinery with transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:16376-81 pubmed..This interaction transiently protects Hpr1 from ubiquitin/proteasome-mediated degradation and thereby coordinates recruitment of the mRNA export machinery with transcription and early messenger ribonucleoproteins assembly. ..
- Strasser K, Hurt E. Splicing factor Sub2p is required for nuclear mRNA export through its interaction with Yra1p. Nature. 2001;413:648-52 pubmed..Yra1p interacts directly with the mRNA transport factor Mex67p/Mtr2p, which is associated with the nuclear pore...
- Fischer T, Strasser K, Rácz A, Rodriguez Navarro S, Oppizzi M, Ihrig P, et al. The mRNA export machinery requires the novel Sac3p-Thp1p complex to dock at the nucleoplasmic entrance of the nuclear pores. EMBO J. 2002;21:5843-52 pubmed..In addition, Sac3p binds to the mRNA exporter Mex67p-Mtr2p and requires the nucleoporin Nup1p to dock at the nuclear side of the nuclear pore complex (NPC)...
- Strawn L, Shen T, Wente S. The GLFG regions of Nup116p and Nup100p serve as binding sites for both Kap95p and Mex67p at the nuclear pore complex. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6445-52 pubmed..Coimmunoprecipitation experiments from yeast cell lysates resulted in the isolation of a Mex67p-Nup116p complex...
- Vitaliano Prunier A, Babour A, Hérissant L, Apponi L, Margaritis T, Holstege F, et al. H2B ubiquitylation controls the formation of export-competent mRNP. Mol Cell. 2012;45:132-9 pubmed publisher..Modification of H2B thus participates in the crosstalk between cotranscriptional events and assembly of mRNPs linking nuclear processing and mRNA export. ..
- Vergara S, Puig S, Thiele D. Early recruitment of AU-rich element-containing mRNAs determines their cytosolic fate during iron deficiency. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:417-29 pubmed publisher..These data also suggest an important role for nucleocytoplasmic shuttling in this conserved family of proteins in the mechanism of ARE-mediated mRNA decay. ..
- Castelnuovo M, Rahman S, Guffanti E, Infantino V, Stutz F, Zenklusen D. Bimodal expression of PHO84 is modulated by early termination of antisense transcription. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:851-8 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that PHO84 silencing results from antisense transcription through the promoter rather than the static accumulation of antisense RNAs at the repressed gene. ..
- Del Rosario B, Pemberton L. Nap1 links transcription elongation, chromatin assembly, and messenger RNP complex biogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:2113-24 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that Nap1 functions provide a new connection between transcription elongation, chromatin assembly, and messenger RNP complex biogenesis. ..
- Sarkar A, Pech M, Thoms M, Beckmann R, Hurt E. Ribosome-stalk biogenesis is coupled with recruitment of nuclear-export factor to the nascent 60S subunit. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:1074-1082 pubmed publisher..Thus, a spatiotemporal mark on the ribosomal stalk controls the recruitment of an RNA-export receptor to the nascent 60S subunit. ..
- Belanger K. Using affinity chromatography to investigate novel protein-protein interactions in an undergraduate cell and molecular biology lab course. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2009;8:214-25 pubmed publisher..The modular nature of this exercise and its focus on asking novel questions about protein-protein interactions make it easily transferable to undergraduate lab courses performed in a wide variety of contexts. ..
- Ma W, Paudel B, Xing Z, Sabath I, Rueda D, Tran E. Recruitment, Duplex Unwinding and Protein-Mediated Inhibition of the Dead-Box RNA Helicase Dbp2 at Actively Transcribed Chromatin. J Mol Biol. 2016;428:1091-1106 pubmed publisher..This inhibition prevents over-accumulation of Dbp2 on mRNA and stabilization of a subset of RNA polymerase II transcripts. We propose a model whereby Yra1 terminates a cycle of mRNP assembly by Dbp2. ..
- ..These results imply remarkable flexibility in the export pathway for the 60S subunit and help explain how different export receptors could have evolved in different eukaryotic lineages. ..
- Hobeika M, Brockmann C, Iglesias N, Gwizdek C, Neuhaus D, Stutz F, et al. Coordination of Hpr1 and ubiquitin binding by the UBA domain of the mRNA export factor Mex67. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2561-8 pubmed
- Bonnet A, Bretes H, Palancade B. Nuclear pore components affect distinct stages of intron-containing gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:4249-61 pubmed publisher..Our study thus highlights the multiplicity of mechanisms by which nuclear pores contribute to gene expression, and further provides the first evidence that intronic sequences can alleviate early mRNP biogenesis defects. ..
- Hackmann A, Wu H, Schneider U, Meyer K, Jung K, Krebber H. Quality control of spliced mRNAs requires the shuttling SR proteins Gbp2 and Hrb1. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3123 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data identify a role for shuttling SR proteins in mRNA surveillance and nuclear mRNA quality control. ..
- Hobeika M, Brockmann C, Gruessing F, Neuhaus D, Divita G, Stewart M, et al. Structural requirements for the ubiquitin-associated domain of the mRNA export factor Mex67 to bind its specific targets, the transcription elongation THO complex component Hpr1 and nucleoporin FXFG repeats. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:17575-83 pubmed publisher
- Chatterjee K, Majumder S, Wan Y, Shah V, Wu J, Huang H, et al. Sharing the load: Mex67-Mtr2 cofunctions with Los1 in primary tRNA nuclear export. Genes Dev. 2017;31:2186-2198 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data show that Mex67-Mtr2 functions in primary nuclear export for a subset of yeast tRNAs. ..
- Fasken M, Stewart M, Corbett A. Functional significance of the interaction between the mRNA-binding protein, Nab2, and the nuclear pore-associated protein, Mlp1, in mRNA export. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27130-43 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence for a model of mRNA export in which Nab2 is important for targeting mRNAs to the nuclear pore for export. ..
- Fischer U, SchÃ¤uble N, SchÃ¼tz S, Altvater M, Chang Y, Faza M, et al. A non-canonical mechanism for Crm1-export cargo complex assembly. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..This mechanism could represent one solution to the paradox of weak binding events underlying rapid Crm1-mediated export. ..
- Qu X, Lykke Andersen S, Nasser T, Saguez C, Bertrand E, Jensen T, et al. Assembly of an export-competent mRNP is needed for efficient release of the 3'-end processing complex after polyadenylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5327-38 pubmed publisher..associated with poly(A)(+) RNA reveals defective removal of Rna15p in mutants of the nuclear export receptor Mex67p as well as other factors important for assembly of an export-competent mRNP...
- Stutz F, Bachi A, Doerks T, Braun I, Seraphin B, Wilm M, et al. REF, an evolutionary conserved family of hnRNP-like proteins, interacts with TAP/Mex67p and participates in mRNA nuclear export. RNA. 2000;6:638-50 pubmedVertebrate TAP and its yeast ortholog Mex67p are involved in the export of messenger RNAs from the nucleus. TAP has also been implicated in the export of simian type D viral RNAs bearing the constitutive transport element (CTE)...
- Sayani S, Chanfreau G. Sequential RNA degradation pathways provide a fail-safe mechanism to limit the accumulation of unspliced transcripts in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA. 2012;18:1563-72 pubmed publisher..The presence of these two sequential degradation pathways for unspliced pre-mRNAs underscores the importance of limiting their accumulation and might serve as a fail-safe mechanism to prevent the expression of these nonfunctional RNAs. ..
- Zander G, Hackmann A, Bender L, Becker D, Lingner T, Salinas G, et al. mRNA quality control is bypassed for immediate export of stress-responsive transcripts. Nature. 2016;: pubmed publisher..Thus, at the cost of error-free mRNA formation, heat-shock mRNAs are exported and translated without delay, allowing cells to survive extreme situations. ..
- Occhipinti L, Chang Y, Altvater M, Menet A, Kemmler S, Panse V. Non-FG mediated transport of the large pre-ribosomal subunit through the nuclear pore complex by the mRNA export factor Gle2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:8266-79 pubmed publisher..We propose that large complex cargos rely on non-FG as well as FG-interactions for their efficient translocation through the nuclear pore complex channel. ..
- Lim S, Kwak J, Kim M, Lee D. Separation of a functional deubiquitylating module from the SAGA complex by the proteasome regulatory particle. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2641 pubmed publisher..Our findings collectively demonstrate that the proteasome-mediated remodelling of the SAGA complex is a prerequisite for proper mRNA export...
- Neumann B, Wu H, Hackmann A, Krebber H. Nuclear Export of Pre-Ribosomal Subunits Requires Dbp5, but Not as an RNA-Helicase as for mRNA Export. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0149571 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings reveal that although different ribonucleoparticles, mRNAs and pre-ribosomal subunits, use shared export factors, they utilize different transport mechanisms. ..
- Loibl M, Klein I, Prattes M, Schmidt C, Kappel L, Zisser G, et al. The drug diazaborine blocks ribosome biogenesis by inhibiting the AAA-ATPase Drg1. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:3913-22 pubmed publisher..Our results identify the first target of an inhibitor of ribosome biogenesis and provide the mechanism of inhibition of a key step in large ribosomal subunit formation. ..
- Ting Y, Lu T, Johnson A, Shie J, Chen B, Kumar S S, et al. Bcp1 Is the Nuclear Chaperone of Rpl23 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:585-596 pubmed publisher..Loss of Bcp1 causes instability of Rpl23 and deficiency of 60S subunits. In summary, Bcp1 is a novel 60S biogenesis factor via chaperoning Rpl23 in the nucleus. ..
- Kappel L, Loibl M, Zisser G, Klein I, Fruhmann G, Gruber C, et al. Rlp24 activates the AAA-ATPase Drg1 to initiate cytoplasmic pre-60S maturation. J Cell Biol. 2012;199:771-82 pubmed publisher..Our results show that release of Rlp24 by Drg1 defines a key event in large subunit formation that is a prerequisite for progression of cytoplasmic pre-60S maturation. ..
- Cuenca Bono B, García Molinero V, Pascual García P, García Oliver E, Llopis A, Rodriguez Navarro S. A novel link between Sus1 and the cytoplasmic mRNA decay machinery suggests a broad role in mRNA metabolism. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:19 pubmed publisher..These interactions suggest a role for Sus1 in gene expression during cytoplasmic mRNA metabolism in addition to its nuclear function. ..
- Ma W, Cloutier S, Tran E. The DEAD-box protein Dbp2 functions with the RNA-binding protein Yra1 to promote mRNP assembly. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:3824-38 pubmed publisher..Both Yra1 and Dbp2 are conserved in multicellular eukaryotes, suggesting that this constitutes a broadly conserved mechanism for stepwise assembly of mature mRNPs in the nucleus. ..
- Paul B, Montpetit B. Altered RNA processing and export lead to retention of mRNAs near transcription sites and nuclear pore complexes or within the nucleolus. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:2742-56 pubmed publisher..These data show that alterations to various nuclear processes lead to the retention of mRNAs at discrete locations within the nucleus. ..
- Estruch F, Peiró Chova L, Gómez Navarro N, Durbán J, Hodge C, del Olmo M, et al. A genetic screen in Saccharomyces cerevisiae identifies new genes that interact with mex67-5, a temperature-sensitive allele of the gene encoding the mRNA export receptor. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009;281:125-34 pubmed publisherThe Mex67p protein, together with Mtr2p, functions as the mRNA export receptor in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by interacting with both mRNA and nuclear pore complexes...
- Trahan C, Oeffinger M. Targeted cross-linking-mass spectrometry determines vicinal interactomes within heterogeneous RNP complexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:1354-69 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore show that this method provides a new tool to study the changing spatial organization of heterogeneous dynamic RNP complexes. ..
- Brune C, Munchel S, Fischer N, Podtelejnikov A, Weis K. Yeast poly(A)-binding protein Pab1 shuttles between the nucleus and the cytoplasm and functions in mRNA export. RNA. 2005;11:517-31 pubmed..Therefore, nuclear Pab1 may be required for efficient mRNA export and may function in the quality control of mRNA in the nucleus. ..
- Gaillard H, Wellinger R, Aguilera A. A new connection of mRNP biogenesis and export with transcription-coupled repair. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:3893-906 pubmed..Our results indicate that RNAPII is not proficient for TCR in mRNP biogenesis and export mutants, opening new perspectives on our knowledge of TCR in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Dong S, Jacobson A, He F. Degradation of YRA1 Pre-mRNA in the cytoplasm requires translational repression, multiple modular intronic elements, Edc3p, and Mex67p. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000360 pubmed publisher..Translational repression of YRA1 pre-mRNA also requires the heterodimeric Mex67p/Mtr2p general mRNA export receptor, but not Edc3p, and serves to enhance Edc3p substrate specificity by inhibiting ..