Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: LSM4
Description: U6 snRNA complex subunit LSM4
Alias: SDB23, USS1, U6 snRNA complex subunit LSM4
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Chowdhury A, Mukhopadhyay J, Tharun S. The decapping activator Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex has the intrinsic ability to distinguish between oligoadenylated and polyadenylated RNAs. RNA. 2007;13:998-1016 pubmed..These results indicate that the intrinsic RNA-binding characteristics of this complex form a critical determinant of its in vivo interactions and functions. ..
- Lavut A, Raveh D. Sequestration of highly expressed mRNAs in cytoplasmic granules, P-bodies, and stress granules enhances cell viability. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002527 pubmed publisher..Sorting of mRNAs for future translation or decay by individual cells could generate potentially different phenotypes in a genetically identical population and enhance its ability to withstand stress...
- Huch S, Müller M, Muppavarapu M, Gommlich J, Balagopal V, Nissan T. The decapping activator Edc3 and the Q/N-rich domain of Lsm4 function together to enhance mRNA stability and alter mRNA decay pathway dependence in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biol Open. 2016;5:1388-1399 pubmed publisherThe rate and regulation of mRNA decay are major elements in the proper control of gene expression. Edc3 and Lsm4 are two decapping activator proteins that have previously been shown to function in the assembly of RNA granules termed P ..
- Chowdhury A, Tharun S. lsm1 mutations impairing the ability of the Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex to preferentially bind to oligoadenylated RNA affect mRNA decay in vivo. RNA. 2008;14:2149-58 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the importance of Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex-mRNA interaction for mRNA decay in vivo and imply that the oligo(A) tail mediated enhancement of such interaction is crucial in that process. ..
- Oishi K, Kurahashi H, Pack C, Sako Y, Nakamura Y. A bipolar functionality of Q/N-rich proteins: Lsm4 amyloid causes clearance of yeast prions. Microbiologyopen. 2013;2:415-30 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that overexpression of a [PSI(+) ]-inducible Q/N-rich protein, Lsm4, eliminates the three major prions [PSI(+) ], [URE3], and [RNQ(+) ]...
- Parkes V, Johnston L. SPO12 and SIT4 suppress mutations in DBF2, which encodes a cell cycle protein kinase that is periodically expressed. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:5617-23 pubmed..Therefore, SPO12 does have a role during vegetative growth and it probably functions in mitosis in association with DBF2. ..
- Spiller M, Reijns M, Beggs J. Requirements for nuclear localization of the Lsm2-8p complex and competition between nuclear and cytoplasmic Lsm complexes. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:4310-20 pubmed..A shift of Lsm proteins from the nucleus to the cytoplasm under stress conditions indicates that this competition is biologically significant. ..
- Dreumont N, Seraphin B. Rapid screening of yeast mutants with reporters identifies new splicing phenotypes. FEBS J. 2013;280:2712-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, using appropriate reporters, yeast can be used to quickly delineate the effect of various factors on splicing and identify those with the propensity to regulate alternative splicing events. ..
- Karaduman R, Fabrizio P, Hartmuth K, Urlaub H, Luhrmann R. RNA structure and RNA-protein interactions in purified yeast U6 snRNPs. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:1248-62 pubmed..Interestingly, we find that the open structure of the yeast U6 snRNA in native snRNPs can also be adopted by human U6 and U6atac snRNAs. ..
- Wu D, Muhlrad D, Bowler M, Jiang S, Liu Z, Parker R, et al. Lsm2 and Lsm3 bridge the interaction of the Lsm1-7 complex with Pat1 for decapping activation. Cell Res. 2014;24:233-46 pubmed publisher..Based on the structure of Lsm2-3-Pat1C, a model of Lsm1-7-Pat1 complex is constructed and how RNA binds to this complex is discussed. ..
- Karaduman R, Dube P, Stark H, Fabrizio P, Kastner B, Luhrmann R. Structure of yeast U6 snRNPs: arrangement of Prp24p and the LSm complex as revealed by electron microscopy. RNA. 2008;14:2528-37 pubmed publisher..Further, LSmp-Prp24p interactions may be restricted to the closed form, which appears to represent the solution structure of the U6 snRNP particle. ..
- Klucevsek K, Braun M, Arndt K. The Paf1 complex subunit Rtf1 buffers cells against the toxic effects of [PSI+] and defects in Rkr1-dependent protein quality control in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2012;191:1107-18 pubmed publisher..The deletion, inactivation, and overexpression of HSP104 or the overexpression of prion-encoding genes URE2 and LSM4 clear [PSI+] and rescue rtf1? rkr1? lethality...
- Didychuk A, Montemayor E, Carrocci T, DeLaitsch A, Lucarelli S, Westler W, et al. Usb1 controls U6 snRNP assembly through evolutionarily divergent cyclic phosphodiesterase activities. Nat Commun. 2017;8:497 pubmed publisher..Here the authors characterize the enzymatic activities and structures of yeast and human U6 RNA processing enzyme Usb1, reconstitute post-transcriptional assembly of yeast U6 snRNP in vitro, and propose a model for U6 snRNP assembly. ..
- Chowdhury A, Raju K, Kalurupalle S, Tharun S. Both Sm-domain and C-terminal extension of Lsm1 are important for the RNA-binding activity of the Lsm1-7-Pat1 complex. RNA. 2012;18:936-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, unlike most Sm-like proteins, Lsm1 uniquely requires both its Sm-domain and CTD for its normal RNA-binding function. ..
- Fernandez C, Pannone B, Chen X, Fuchs G, Wolin S. An Lsm2-Lsm7 complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae associates with the small nucleolar RNA snR5. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2842-52 pubmed
- Sobti M, Cubeddu L, Haynes P, Mabbutt B. Engineered rings of mixed yeast Lsm proteins show differential interactions with translation factors and U-rich RNA. Biochemistry. 2010;49:2335-45 pubmed publisher..Polyprotein rings containing truncated forms of Lsm1 and Lsm4 were found to associate with translation, initiation, and elongation protein factors in an RNA-dependent manner...
- Vidal V, Verdone L, Mayes A, Beggs J. Characterization of U6 snRNA-protein interactions. RNA. 1999;5:1470-81 pubmed..Interestingly, the Lsm proteins associate efficiently with the 3' half of U6, which contains the 3' stem-loop and uridine-rich 3' end, suggesting that the Lsm and Sm proteins may recognize similar features in RNAs. ..
- Palermo V, Cundari E, Mangiapelo E, Falcone C, Mazzoni C. Yeast lsm pro-apoptotic mutants show defects in S-phase entry and progression. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:3991-6 pubmed
- Tharun S. Purification and analysis of the decapping activator Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex from yeast. Methods Enzymol. 2008;448:41-55 pubmed publisher..2007). These observations, therefore, highlighted the importance of the intrinsic RNA binding properties of this complex as key determinants of its in vivo functions. ..
- Sharif H, Conti E. Architecture of the Lsm1-7-Pat1 complex: a conserved assembly in eukaryotic mRNA turnover. Cell Rep. 2013;5:283-91 pubmed publisher..These results show how the auxiliary domains and the canonical Sm folds of the Lsm1-7 complex are organized in order to mediate and modulate macromolecular interactions. ..
- Mazzoni C, Herker E, Palermo V, Jungwirth H, Eisenberg T, Madeo F, et al. Yeast caspase 1 links messenger RNA stability to apoptosis in yeast. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:1076-81 pubmed..We recently showed that mutations in the LSM4 gene, which is involved in messenger RNA decapping, lead to increased mRNA stability and apoptosis in yeast...