Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: LSM2
Description: Sm-like protein LSM2
Alias: SMX5, SNP3, Sm-like protein LSM2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Pannone B, Kim S, Noe D, Wolin S. Multiple functional interactions between components of the Lsm2-Lsm8 complex, U6 snRNA, and the yeast La protein. Genetics. 2001;158:187-96 pubmed..A complex of seven Sm-like proteins, Lsm2-Lsm8, also binds the 3' end of U6 snRNA...
- Didychuk A, Montemayor E, Carrocci T, DeLaitsch A, Lucarelli S, Westler W, et al. Usb1 controls U6 snRNP assembly through evolutionarily divergent cyclic phosphodiesterase activities. Nat Commun. 2017;8:497 pubmed publisher..U6 snRNP in vitro, which occurs through a complex series of handoffs involving 10 proteins (Lhp1, Prp24, Usb1 and Lsm2-8) and anti-cooperative interactions between Prp24 and Lhp1...
- Chowdhury A, Raju K, Kalurupalle S, Tharun S. Both Sm-domain and C-terminal extension of Lsm1 are important for the RNA-binding activity of the Lsm1-7-Pat1 complex. RNA. 2012;18:936-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, unlike most Sm-like proteins, Lsm1 uniquely requires both its Sm-domain and CTD for its normal RNA-binding function. ..
- Boon K, Norman C, Grainger R, Newman A, Beggs J. Prp8p dissection reveals domain structure and protein interaction sites. RNA. 2006;12:198-205 pubmed..Thus, the U5 snRNP protein Snu114p associates with Prp8p in the region 437-770, whereas fragmenting Prp8p at residue 2173 destabilizes its association with Aar2p. ..
- Spiller M, Reijns M, Beggs J. Requirements for nuclear localization of the Lsm2-8p complex and competition between nuclear and cytoplasmic Lsm complexes. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:4310-20 pubmed..In eukaryotes, a hetero-heptameric complex of seven Lsm proteins (Lsm2-8) affects the processing of small stable RNAs and pre-mRNAs in the nucleus, whereas a different hetero-heptameric ..
- Tharun S. Purification and analysis of the decapping activator Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex from yeast. Methods Enzymol. 2008;448:41-55 pubmed publisher..2007). These observations, therefore, highlighted the importance of the intrinsic RNA binding properties of this complex as key determinants of its in vivo functions. ..
- Fernandez C, Pannone B, Chen X, Fuchs G, Wolin S. An Lsm2-Lsm7 complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae associates with the small nucleolar RNA snR5. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2842-52 pubmedSm-like (Lsm) proteins function in a variety of RNA-processing events. In yeast, the Lsm2-Lsm8 complex binds and stabilizes the spliceosomal U6 snRNA, whereas the Lsm1-Lsm7 complex functions in mRNA decay...
- Sobti M, Cubeddu L, Haynes P, Mabbutt B. Engineered rings of mixed yeast Lsm proteins show differential interactions with translation factors and U-rich RNA. Biochemistry. 2010;49:2335-45 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest Lsm1 and/or Lsm4 can interact with translationally active mRNA. ..
- Wu D, Muhlrad D, Bowler M, Jiang S, Liu Z, Parker R, et al. Lsm2 and Lsm3 bridge the interaction of the Lsm1-7 complex with Pat1 for decapping activation. Cell Res. 2014;24:233-46 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Lsm2 and Lsm3 bridge the interaction between the C-terminus of Pat1 (Pat1C) and the Lsm1-7 complex...
- Karaduman R, Fabrizio P, Hartmuth K, Urlaub H, Luhrmann R. RNA structure and RNA-protein interactions in purified yeast U6 snRNPs. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:1248-62 pubmed..Interestingly, we find that the open structure of the yeast U6 snRNA in native snRNPs can also be adopted by human U6 and U6atac snRNAs. ..
- Sharif H, Conti E. Architecture of the Lsm1-7-Pat1 complex: a conserved assembly in eukaryotic mRNA turnover. Cell Rep. 2013;5:283-91 pubmed publisher..of Pat1 reveals that Pat1 recognition is not mediated by the distinguishing cytoplasmic subunit, Lsm1, but by Lsm2 and Lsm3...
- Lotan R, Goler Baron V, Duek L, Haimovich G, Choder M. The Rpb7p subunit of yeast RNA polymerase II plays roles in the two major cytoplasmic mRNA decay mechanisms. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1133-43 pubmed..Our genetic analyses suggest that Rpb7p plays two distinct roles in mRNA decay, which can both be uncoupled from Rpb7p's role in transcription. Thus, Rpb7p plays pivotal roles in determining mRNA levels. ..
- Reijns M, Alexander R, Spiller M, Beggs J. A role for Q/N-rich aggregation-prone regions in P-body localization. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2463-72 pubmed publisher..This is supported by reduced P-body accumulation of Ccr4p, Pop2p and Dhh1p after deletion of these domains, and by the observed aggregation of the Q/N-rich region from Ccr4p. ..
- Vidal V, Verdone L, Mayes A, Beggs J. Characterization of U6 snRNA-protein interactions. RNA. 1999;5:1470-81 pubmed..Interestingly, the Lsm proteins associate efficiently with the 3' half of U6, which contains the 3' stem-loop and uridine-rich 3' end, suggesting that the Lsm and Sm proteins may recognize similar features in RNAs. ..
- Kufel J, Bousquet Antonelli C, Beggs J, Tollervey D. Nuclear pre-mRNA decapping and 5' degradation in yeast require the Lsm2-8p complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9646-57 pubmedPrevious analyses have identified related cytoplasmic Lsm1-7p and nuclear Lsm2-8p complexes...
- Karaduman R, Dube P, Stark H, Fabrizio P, Kastner B, Luhrmann R. Structure of yeast U6 snRNPs: arrangement of Prp24p and the LSm complex as revealed by electron microscopy. RNA. 2008;14:2528-37 pubmed publisherProtein components of the U6 snRNP (Prp24p and LSm2-8) are thought to act cooperatively in facilitating the annealing of U6 and U4 snRNAs during U4/U6 di-snRNP formation. To learn more about the spatial arrangement of these proteins in S...
- Chowdhury A, Tharun S. lsm1 mutations impairing the ability of the Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex to preferentially bind to oligoadenylated RNA affect mRNA decay in vivo. RNA. 2008;14:2149-58 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the importance of Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex-mRNA interaction for mRNA decay in vivo and imply that the oligo(A) tail mediated enhancement of such interaction is crucial in that process. ..
- Camasses A, Bragado Nilsson E, Martin R, Seraphin B, Bordonne R. Interactions within the yeast Sm core complex: from proteins to amino acids. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1956-66 pubmed..Surprisingly, we observed that other evolutionarily conserved positions are tolerant to mutations, with substitutions affecting binding to SmF and SmG only mildly and conferring a wild-type growth phenotype. ..