Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: LAS17
Description: actin-binding protein LAS17
Alias: BEE1, actin-binding protein LAS17
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Rodal A, Manning A, Goode B, Drubin D. Negative regulation of yeast WASp by two SH3 domain-containing proteins. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1000-8 pubmed..are autoinhibited until bound by activating ligands; however, regulation of the budding yeast WASp homolog (Las17/Bee1) has not yet been explored...
- Evangelista M, Klebl B, Tong A, Webb B, Leeuw T, Leberer E, et al. A role for myosin-I in actin assembly through interactions with Vrp1p, Bee1p, and the Arp2/3 complex. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:353-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that myosin-I proteins may participate in a diverse set of motility functions through a role in actin assembly. ..
- Lechler T, Jonsdottir G, Klee S, Pellman D, Li R. A two-tiered mechanism by which Cdc42 controls the localization and activation of an Arp2/3-activating motor complex in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:261-70 pubmed..We showed previously that the yeast orthologue of the Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome protein, Bee1/Las17p, and the type I myosins are key regulators of cortical actin polymerization...
- D Agostino J, Goode B. Dissection of Arp2/3 complex actin nucleation mechanism and distinct roles for its nucleation-promoting factors in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2005;171:35-47 pubmed..In support of this model, Abp1 binds strongly to Arp2/3 complex, yet has notably weak nucleation-promoting activity and inhibits Las17 activity on Arp2/3 complex in a dose-responsive manner.
- Sun Y, Martin A, Drubin D. Endocytic internalization in budding yeast requires coordinated actin nucleation and myosin motor activity. Dev Cell. 2006;11:33-46 pubmed..These results reveal a mechanism in which actin nucleation and myosin motor activity cooperate to promote endocytic internalization. ..
- Madania A, Dumoulin P, Grava S, Kitamoto H, Schärer Brodbeck C, Soulard A, et al. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of human Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein Las17p interacts with the Arp2/3 complex. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3521-38 pubmedYeast Las17 protein is homologous to the Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome protein, which is implicated in severe immunodeficiency. Las17p/Bee1p has been shown to be important for actin patch assembly and actin polymerization...
- Volkmann N, Amann K, Stoilova McPhie S, Egile C, Winter D, Hazelwood L, et al. Structure of Arp2/3 complex in its activated state and in actin filament branch junctions. Science. 2001;293:2456-9 pubmed..Comparison to the actin-free, WASp-activated complexes suggests that branch initiation involves large-scale structural rearrangements within Arp2/3. ..
- Humphries C, Balcer H, D Agostino J, Winsor B, Drubin D, Barnes G, et al. Direct regulation of Arp2/3 complex activity and function by the actin binding protein coronin. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:993-1004 pubmed..This work identifies a new form of regulation of the Arp2/3 complex and an important cellular function for coronin. ..
- Winter D, Lechler T, Li R. Activation of the yeast Arp2/3 complex by Bee1p, a WASP-family protein. Curr Biol. 1999;9:501-4 pubmed..These results indicate that the function of Bee1p is not mediated entirely through its interaction with the Arp2/3 complex, and that factors redundant with Bee1p might exist to activate the nucleation activity of the Arp2/3 complex. ..
- Martin A, Xu X, Rouiller I, Kaksonen M, Sun Y, Belmont L, et al. Effects of Arp2 and Arp3 nucleotide-binding pocket mutations on Arp2/3 complex function. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:315-28 pubmed..These data demonstrate the importance of Arp2 and Arp3 nucleotide binding for nucleating activity, and Arp3 nucleotide binding for maintenance of cortical actin cytoskeleton cytoarchitecture. ..
- Chang F, Han G, Carman G, Blumer K. A WASp-binding type II phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase required for actin polymerization-driven endosome motility. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:133-42 pubmed..Here, we tested these hypotheses by showing that the Arp2/3 complex activation domain (WCA) of Las17 (Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein [WASp] homologue) fused to an endocytic cargo protein (Ste2) rescued endosome ..
- Pan F, Egile C, Lipkin T, Li R. ARPC1/Arc40 mediates the interaction of the actin-related protein 2 and 3 complex with Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein family activators. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:54629-36 pubmed
- Soulard A, Lechler T, Spiridonov V, Shevchenko A, Shevchenko A, Li R, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Bzz1p is implicated with type I myosins in actin patch polarization and is able to recruit actin-polymerizing machinery in vitro. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7889-906 pubmed..Its interactions with Las17p, Vrp1p, and the type I myosins are essential for this process. This suggests that Bzz1p could be implicated in the regulation of actin polymerization. ..
- Galletta B, Chuang D, Cooper J. Distinct roles for Arp2/3 regulators in actin assembly and endocytosis. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e1 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of these roles provides insight into the in vivo relevance of the dendritic nucleation model for actin assembly. ..
- Prosser D, Drivas T, Maldonado Baez L, Wendland B. Existence of a novel clathrin-independent endocytic pathway in yeast that depends on Rho1 and formin. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:657-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal the existence of a second pathway for endocytosis in yeast, which suggests similarities with the RhoA-dependent endocytic pathways of mammalian cells. ..
- Colwill K, Field D, Moore L, Friesen J, Andrews B. In vivo analysis of the domains of yeast Rvs167p suggests Rvs167p function is mediated through multiple protein interactions. Genetics. 1999;152:881-93 pubmed..Upon activation, Rvs167p enters a multiprotein complex, making critical contacts in its BAR domain and redundant or minor contacts with its SH3 domain. ..
- Germann M, Swain E, Bergman L, Nickels J. Characterizing the sphingolipid signaling pathway that remediates defects associated with loss of the yeast amphiphysin-like orthologs, Rvs161p and Rvs167p. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4270-8 pubmed..Based on our results, we suggest that sphingolipid-dependent suppression of rvs defects may not work entirely through regulating changes in actin organization. ..
- Friesen H, Murphy K, Breitkreutz A, Tyers M, Andrews B. Regulation of the yeast amphiphysin homologue Rvs167p by phosphorylation. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3027-40 pubmed..Our results suggest that phosphorylation of Rvs167p by a cyclin-dependent kinase and by a MAP kinase is an important mechanism for regulating protein complexes involved in actin cytoskeleton function. ..
- Cortesio C, Lewellyn E, Drubin D. Control of lipid organization and actin assembly during clathrin-mediated endocytosis by the cytoplasmic tail of the rhomboid protein Rbd2. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:1509-22 pubmed publisher..This work reveals that the previously unstudied rhomboid protein Rbd2 functions in vivo at the nexus of three highly conserved processes: lipid regulation, endocytic regulation, and cytoskeletal function. ..
- Feliciano D, Tolsma T, Farrell K, Aradi A, Di Pietro S. A second Las17 monomeric actin-binding motif functions in Arp2/3-dependent actin polymerization during endocytosis. Traffic. 2015;16:379-97 pubmed publisher..Yeast WASP (Las17) is the strongest of five factors promoting Arp2/3-dependent actin polymerization during CME...
- Kishimoto T, Sun Y, Buser C, Liu J, Michelot A, Drubin D. Determinants of endocytic membrane geometry, stability, and scission. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E979-88 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal that dynamic interplay between a lipid phosphatase, actin assembly, and membrane-sculpting proteins leads to proper membrane shaping, tubule stabilization, and scission. ..
- Tyler J, Allwood E, Ayscough K. WASP family proteins, more than Arp2/3 activators. Biochem Soc Trans. 2016;44:1339-1345 pubmed..Recent studies, however, indicate that the yeast WASP homologue Las17 is able to nucleate actin independently of Arp2/3 through the function of novel G-actin-binding activities in its ..
- Landgraf C, Panni S, Montecchi Palazzi L, Castagnoli L, Schneider Mergener J, Volkmer Engert R, et al. Protein interaction networks by proteome peptide scanning. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E14 pubmed..WISE can be easily extended to a variety of protein interaction domains, including those binding to modified peptides, thereby offering a powerful proteomic tool to help completing a full description of the cell interactome. ..
- Gao L, Bretscher A. Analysis of unregulated formin activity reveals how yeast can balance F-actin assembly between different microfilament-based organizations. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1474-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, cells must have a way of ensuring a proper balance between actin assembly pathways. ..
- Urbanek A, Smith A, Allwood E, Booth W, Ayscough K. A novel actin-binding motif in Las17/WASP nucleates actin filaments independently of Arp2/3. Curr Biol. 2013;23:196-203 pubmed publisher..b>Las17 is the primary activator of Arp2/3-driven actin nucleation in yeast and is required for membrane invagination ..
- Feliciano D, Di Pietro S. SLAC, a complex between Sla1 and Las17, regulates actin polymerization during clathrin-mediated endocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4256-72 pubmed publisher..b>Las17 (yeast WASp) is the strongest activator of the Arp2/3 complex in yeast cells; it is not autoinhibited and arrives ..
- Roumanie O, Peypouquet M, Thoraval D, Doignon F, Crouzet M. Functional interactions between the VRP1-LAS17 and RHO3-RHO4 genes involved in actin cytoskeleton organization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2002;40:317-25 pubmed..a GTPase-activating protein for the Rho3 and Rho4 small G proteins, exhibits synthetic lethality with the VRP1 and LAS17 genes...
- Thanabalu T, Rajmohan R, Meng L, Ren G, Vajjhala P, Munn A. Verprolin function in endocytosis and actin organization. Roles of the Las17p (yeast WASP)-binding domain and a novel C-terminal actin-binding domain. FEBS J. 2007;274:4103-25 pubmed
- Costa R, Warren D, Ayscough K. Lsb5p interacts with actin regulators Sla1p and Las17p, ubiquitin and Arf3p to couple actin dynamics to membrane trafficking processes. Biochem J. 2005;387:649-58 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide further evidence for the role of Lsb5p in membrane-trafficking events at the plasma membrane and also demonstrate for the first time an interaction of Arf3 with the endocytic machinery in yeast. ..
- Wong M, Meng L, Rajmohan R, Yu S, Thanabalu T. Vrp1p-Las17p interaction is critical for actin patch polarization but is not essential for growth or fluid phase endocytosis in S. cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1803:1332-46 pubmed publisher..Vrp1p can localize to cortical patches, either by binding to Las17p through LBD (Las17 Binding Domain, Vrp1p(760-817)) or independent of Las17p through residues in N-Vrp1p(1-364)...
- Urbanek A, Allwood E, Smith A, Booth W, Ayscough K. Distinct Actin and Lipid Binding Sites in Ysc84 Are Required during Early Stages of Yeast Endocytosis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0136732 pubmed publisher..full length Ysc84 could only bind actin when its C-terminal SH3 domain also bound to the yeast WASP homologue Las17. Live cell-imaging has revealed that Ysc84 localizes to endocytic sites after Las17/WASP but before other known ..
- Tedrick K, Trischuk T, Lehner R, Eitzen G. Enhanced membrane fusion in sterol-enriched vacuoles bypasses the Vrp1p requirement. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4609-21 pubmed..Therefore, the Vrp1p/Las17p requirement for membrane fusion is bypassed by increased sterols, which promotes actin remodeling as part the membrane fusion mechanism. ..
- Monastyrska I, He C, Geng J, Hoppe A, Li Z, Klionsky D. Arp2 links autophagic machinery with the actin cytoskeleton. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1962-75 pubmed publisher..We propose that proteins of the Arp2/3 complex regulate Atg9 transport for specific types of autophagy. ..
- Xu H, Wickner W. Bem1p is a positive regulator of the homotypic fusion of yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27158-66 pubmed..2005) Genes Dev. 19, 2606-2618), we did not find phosphorylation of Bem1p at Ser-72 to be required for Bem1p-stimulated fusion. Taken together, Bem1p is a positive regulator of lipid mixing during vacuole hemifusion and fusion. ..
- Rajmohan R, Wong M, Meng L, Munn A, Thanabalu T. Las17p-Vrp1p but not Las17p-Arp2/3 interaction is important for actin patch polarization in yeast. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:825-35 pubmed publisher..Using these mutant and truncated forms of yeast WASP we provide novel evidence that WASP interaction with WIP is more important than interaction with Arp2/3 for polarized actin assembly and endocytosis in yeast. ..
- Barker S, Lee L, Pierce B, Maldonado Baez L, Drubin D, Wendland B. Interaction of the endocytic scaffold protein Pan1 with the type I myosins contributes to the late stages of endocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2893-903 pubmed..PRD, synthetic genetic array screens with a pan1DeltaPRD strain found genetic interactions with alleles of ACT1, LAS17 and a deletion of SLA1...
- Spiess M, De Craene J, Michelot A, Rinaldi B, Huber A, Drubin D, et al. Lsb1 is a negative regulator of las17 dependent actin polymerization involved in endocytosis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61147 pubmed publisher..The yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae contains only one WASP homolog, Las17, that requires additional factors for its regulation...
- Palmer S, Smaczynska de Rooij I, Marklew C, Allwood E, Mishra R, Johnson S, et al. A dynamin-actin interaction is required for vesicle scission during endocytosis in yeast. Curr Biol. 2015;25:868-78 pubmed publisher..A model is proposed in which actin filaments bind Vps1 during invagination, and this interaction is important to transduce the force of actin polymerization to the membrane to drive successful scission. ..
- Misu K, Fujimura Kamada K, Ueda T, Nakano A, Katoh H, Tanaka K. Cdc50p, a conserved endosomal membrane protein, controls polarized growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:730-47 pubmed..It showed, however, only modest defects in vacuolar protein sorting. Our results indicate that Cdc50p is a novel endosomal protein that regulates polarized cell growth. ..
- Lambert A, Perron M, Lavoie E, Pallotta D. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Arf3 protein is involved in actin cable and cortical patch formation. FEMS Yeast Res. 2007;7:782-95 pubmed..Both double mutant strains have actin cytoskeleton defects. Our results support a role for ARF3 in cell polarity and the organization of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Johansen J, Alfaro G, Beh C. Polarized Exocytosis Induces Compensatory Endocytosis by Sec4p-Regulated Cortical Actin Polymerization. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002534 pubmed publisher..After polarized exocytosis to the plasma membrane, Sec4p binds Las17/Bee1p (yeast Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome protein [WASp]) in a complex with Sla1p and Sla2p during actin patch ..
- Chi R, Torres O, SEGARRA V, Lansley T, Chang J, Newpher T, et al. Role of Scd5, a protein phosphatase-1 targeting protein, in phosphoregulation of Sla1 during endocytosis. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4728-39 pubmed publisher..sla1?SR severely impaired endocytic progression, but this was partially suppressed by overexpression of LAS17, suggesting that without the SR region the SH3 region of Sla1 causes constitutive negative regulation of Las17 (..
- Roumanie O, Peypouquet M, Bonneu M, Thoraval D, Doignon F, Crouzet M. Evidence for the genetic interaction between the actin-binding protein Vrp1 and the RhoGAP Rgd1 mediated through Rho3p and Rho4p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2000;36:1403-14 pubmed..These and other well-established data support the idea that Vrp1, Las17, Rvs167 proteins belong to the same complex...
- Li H, Page N, Bussey H. Actin patch assembly proteins Las17p and Sla1p restrict cell wall growth to daughter cells and interact with cis-Golgi protein Kre6p. Yeast. 2002;19:1097-112 pubmed..The actin patch assembly mutants las17 delta, sla1delta and vrp1 delta showed elevated levels of cell wall beta-1,6-glucan, and mutant cells were capable ..