Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: KEX2
Description: kexin KEX2
Alias: QDS1, SRB1, VMA45, kexin KEX2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yamagishi H, Ohnuki S, Nogami S, Ogata T, Ohya Y. Role of bottom-fermenting brewer's yeast KEX2 in high temperature resistance and poor proliferation at low temperatures. J Gen Appl Microbiol. 2010;56:297-312 pubmed..Similar variants of laboratory yeast were also isolated and found to be incapable of mating. The KEX2 gene was cloned by complementation...
- Grbavac A, Čanak I, Stuparevic I, Teparić R, Mrsa V. Proteolytic processing of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall protein Scw4 regulates its activity and influences its covalent binding to glucan. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:507-515 pubmed publisher..It was further shown that non-covalently bound Scw4 (SDS released) underwent the Kex2 proteolytic processing...
- Manfredi M, Antunes A, Jesus L, Juliano M, Juliano L, Judice W. Specificity characterization of the ?-mating factor hormone by Kex2 protease. Biochimie. 2016;131:149-158 pubmed publisherb>Kex2 is a Ca2+-dependent serine protease from S. cerevisiae...
- Davie J, Kane C. Genetic interactions between TFIIS and the Swi-Snf chromatin-remodeling complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:5960-73 pubmed..These include UBP3, KEX2, STT4, and SWI2/SNF2...
- Basco R, Cueva R, Andaluz E, Larriba G. In vivo processing of the precursor of the major exoglucanase by KEX2 endoprotease in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae secretory pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1310:110-8 pubmed..Conversion of A into B was prevented in the double mutant sec7 kex2-1, indicating that Kex2p is central to the in vivo processing...
- Bader O, Krauke Y, Hube B. Processing of predicted substrates of fungal Kex2 proteinases from Candida albicans, C. glabrata, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Pichia pastoris. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:116 pubmed publisher..In the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae the Kex2 protein is biochemically well investigated, however, with the exception of a few well known proteins such as the ..
- Bryant N, Boyd A. Immunoisolation of Kex2p-containing organelles from yeast demonstrates colocalisation of three processing proteinases to a single Golgi compartment. J Cell Sci. 1993;106 ( Pt 3):815-22 pubmed..Our findings provide clear evidence for a single yeast Golgi compartment containing all three late-processing enzymes, which is likely to be the functional equivalent in yeast of the mammalian trans-Golgi network. ..
- Oluwatosin Y, Kane P. Mutations in the yeast KEX2 gene cause a Vma(-)-like phenotype: a possible role for the Kex2 endoprotease in vacuolar acidification. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1534-43 pubmed..to accumulate the lysosomotropic dye quinacrine in their vacuoles, five new vma complementation groups (vma41 to vma45) were identified...
- Tomishige N, Noda Y, Adachi H, Shimoi H, Yoda K. SKG1, a suppressor gene of synthetic lethality of kex2Deltagas1Delta mutations, encodes a novel membrane protein that affects cell wall composition. Yeast. 2005;22:141-55 pubmed..The KEX2 gene encodes a processing protease in the late Golgi compartment and its loss also results in defects in the cell ..
- Aguilar P, Heiman M, Walther T, Engel A, Schwudke D, Gushwa N, et al. Structure of sterol aliphatic chains affects yeast cell shape and cell fusion during mating. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:4170-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, a two-atom change in the aliphatic moiety of ergosterol is sufficient to obstruct cell shape remodeling and cell fusion. ..
- Cho J, Noda Y, Yoda K. Proteins in the early golgi compartment of Saccharomyces cerevisiae immunoisolated by Sed5p. FEBS Lett. 2000;469:151-4 pubmed
- Heiman M, Engel A, Walter P. The Golgi-resident protease Kex2 acts in conjunction with Prm1 to facilitate cell fusion during yeast mating. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:209-22 pubmed..In this study, we show that lack of the Golgi-resident protease Kex2 strongly enhances the cell fusion defect of Prm1-deficient mating pairs and causes a mild fusion defect in ..
- De M, Abazeed M, Fuller R. Direct binding of the Kex2p cytosolic tail to the VHS domain of yeast Gga2p facilitates TGN to prevacuolar compartment transport and is regulated by phosphorylation. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:495-509 pubmed publisher..Thus yeast Gga adaptors facilitate TGN-PVC transport by direct binding of noncanonical phosphoregulated Gga-binding sites in cargo molecules. ..
- Rehling P, Darsow T, Katzmann D, Emr S. Formation of AP-3 transport intermediates requires Vps41 function. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:346-53 pubmed..Vps41 binds to the AP-3 delta-adaptin subunit, suggesting that they function together in the formation of ALP pathway transport intermediates at the late Golgi. ..
- Wächter A, Schwappach B. The yeast CLC chloride channel is proteolytically processed by the furin-like protease Kex2p in the first extracellular loop. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:1149-53 pubmed..Fragments mimicking the N- and C-terminal products of the cleavage reaction are non-functional when expressed alone. However, functional channels can assemble when the two fragments are co-expressed. ..
- Martin C, Young R. KEX2 mutations suppress RNA polymerase II mutants and alter the temperature range of yeast cell growth. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:2341-9 pubmed..mutation rpb1-1 and produced a cold-sensitive phenotype were all found to be alleles of a single gene, SRB1. An SRB1 partial deletion mutant was further investigated and found to exhibit several pleiotropic phenotypes...
- Tomishige N, Noda Y, Adachi H, Yoda K. SKG6, a suppressor gene of synthetic lethality of kex2Delta gas1Delta mutations, encodes a novel membrane protein showing polarized intracellular localization. J Gen Appl Microbiol. 2005;51:323-6 pubmed