Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HTZ1
Description: histone H2AZ
Alias: HTA3, histone H2AZ
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Santisteban M, Kalashnikova T, Smith M. Histone H2A.Z regulats transcription and is partially redundant with nucleosome remodeling complexes. Cell. 2000;103:411-22 pubmed..These results describe a novel pathway for regulating transcription using variant histones to modulate chromatin structure. ..
- Light W, Brickner D, Brand V, Brickner J. Interaction of a DNA zip code with the nuclear pore complex promotes H2A.Z incorporation and INO1 transcriptional memory. Mol Cell. 2010;40:112-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, interaction of recently repressed INO1 with the NPC alters its chromatin structure and rate of reactivation...
- Hansen D, Zhou Z, Feng H, Miller Jenkins L, Bai Y, Kay L. Binding kinetics of histone chaperone Chz1 and variant histone H2A.Z-H2B by relaxation dispersion NMR spectroscopy. J Mol Biol. 2009;387:1-9 pubmed..Z-H2B to the chromatin remodeling complex, and the faster-than-diffusion association rate, 10(8) +/- 10(7) M(-1) s(-1), establishes the importance of attractive electrostatic interactions that form the chaperone-histone complex. ..
- Shia W, Li B, Workman J. SAS-mediated acetylation of histone H4 Lys 16 is required for H2A.Z incorporation at subtelomeric regions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2507-12 pubmed..Z incorporation near telomeres. The presence of H4 Lys 16 acetylation and H2A.Z synergistically prevent the ectopic propagation of heterochromatin. Overall, our data suggest a novel antisilencing mechanism near telomeres. ..
- Lindstrom K, Vary J, Parthun M, Delrow J, Tsukiyama T. Isw1 functions in parallel with the NuA4 and Swr1 complexes in stress-induced gene repression. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6117-29 pubmed..In contrast to a recruitment-based model, we find that the NuA4 and Swr1 complexes act throughout the genome while only a specific subset of the genome shows alterations in transcription. ..
- Babiarz J, Halley J, Rine J. Telomeric heterochromatin boundaries require NuA4-dependent acetylation of histone variant H2A.Z in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 2006;20:700-10 pubmed..Taken together, these results show a role for H2A.Z acetylation in restricting silent chromatin, and reveal that acetylation of H2A.Z and H4 can contribute to a common function essential to life. ..
- Dhillon N, Oki M, Szyjka S, Aparicio O, Kamakaka R. H2A.Z functions to regulate progression through the cell cycle. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:489-501 pubmed..We also found that H2A.Z localized to the promoters of cyclin genes, and cells lacking H2A.Z were delayed in the induction of these cyclin genes. Several different models are proposed to explain these observations. ..
- Mizuguchi G, Shen X, Landry J, Wu W, Sen S, Wu C. ATP-driven exchange of histone H2AZ variant catalyzed by SWR1 chromatin remodeling complex. Science. 2004;303:343-8 pubmed..core of a multisubunit, histone-variant exchanger that efficiently replaces conventional histone H2A with histone H2AZ in nucleosome arrays...
- Zhang H, Roberts D, Cairns B. Genome-wide dynamics of Htz1, a histone H2A variant that poises repressed/basal promoters for activation through histone loss. Cell. 2005;123:219-31 pubmed..Here, we determined the genome-wide localization and dynamics of Htz1, the yeast histone H2A variant...
- Dhillon N, Kamakaka R. A histone variant, Htz1p, and a Sir1p-like protein, Esc2p, mediate silencing at HMR. Mol Cell. 2000;6:769-80 pubmed
- Keogh M, Mennella T, Sawa C, Berthelet S, Krogan N, Wolek A, et al. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae histone H2A variant Htz1 is acetylated by NuA4. Genes Dev. 2006;20:660-5 pubmedThe histone H2A variant H2A.Z (Saccharomyces cerevisiae Htz1) plays roles in transcription, DNA repair, chromosome stability, and limiting telomeric silencing...
- Wan Y, Saleem R, Ratushny A, Roda O, Smith J, Lin C, et al. Role of the histone variant H2A.Z/Htz1p in TBP recruitment, chromatin dynamics, and regulated expression of oleate-responsive genes. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:2346-58 pubmed publisher..While these new nucleosomes do not incorporate Htz1p, the initial presence of Htz1p appears to mark the promoter for sustained gene expression and the recruitment of TATA-binding protein. ..
- Zhou Z, Feng H, Hansen D, Kato H, Luk E, FREEDBERG D, et al. NMR structure of chaperone Chz1 complexed with histones H2A.Z-H2B. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:868-9 pubmed publisher..A molecular model that docks Chz1 onto the nucleosome has implications for its potential functions. ..
- Kawano A, Hayashi Y, Noguchi S, Handa H, Horikoshi M, Yamaguchi Y. Global analysis for functional residues of histone variant Htz1 using the comprehensive point mutant library. Genes Cells. 2011;16:590-607 pubmed publisher..The H2A variant, H2A.Z, also known as Htz1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is not uniformly distributed across the genome but facilitates transcriptional ..
- Lemieux K, Larochelle M, Gaudreau L. Variant histone H2A.Z, but not the HMG proteins Nhp6a/b, is essential for the recruitment of Swi/Snf, Mediator, and SAGA to the yeast GAL1 UAS(G). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;369:1103-7 pubmed publisher..Z, but not the HMG proteins Nhp6a/b, in promoter regions creates a specialized chromatin domain that is required for pre-initiation complex assembly at the GAL1 locus. ..
- Wratting D, Thistlethwaite A, Harris M, Zeef L, Millar C. A conserved function for the H2A.Z C terminus. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19148-57 pubmed publisher..Z in both yeast and human cells are more loosely associated with chromatin than the full-length proteins, indicating a conserved function for the H2A.Z C-terminal tail in regulating the association of H2A.Z with nucleosomes. ..
- Wang A, Aristizabal M, Ryan C, Krogan N, Kobor M. Key functional regions in the histone variant H2A.Z C-terminal docking domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3871-84 pubmed publisher..Z deposition complex SWR1-C, the histone chaperone Chz1, and histone H2B. These data are consistent with a model in which retaining the variant in chromatin after its deposition by SWR1-C is a crucial determinant of its function. ..
- Wu W, Wu C, Ladurner A, Mizuguchi G, Wei D, Xiao H, et al. N terminus of Swr1 binds to histone H2AZ and provides a platform for subunit assembly in the chromatin remodeling complex. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6200-7 pubmed publisherVariant histone H2AZ-containing nucleosomes are involved in the regulation of gene expression...
- Gardner J, Smoyer C, Stensrud E, Alexander R, Gogol M, Wiegraebe W, et al. Targeting of the SUN protein Mps3 to the inner nuclear membrane by the histone variant H2A.Z. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:489-507 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that H2A.Z is required to target a soluble Mps3 fragment to the nucleus and to localize full-length Mps3 in the INM, indicating that H2A.Z has a novel chromatin-independent function in INM targeting of SUN proteins. ..
- Albert I, Mavrich T, Tomsho L, Qi J, Zanton S, Schuster S, et al. Translational and rotational settings of H2A.Z nucleosomes across the Saccharomyces cerevisiae genome. Nature. 2007;446:572-6 pubmed..Transcriptional start sites tended to reside about one helical turn inside the nucleosome border. These findings reveal an intimate relationship between chromatin architecture and the underlying DNA sequence it regulates. ..
- Wu W, Alami S, Luk E, Wu C, Sen S, Mizuguchi G, et al. Swc2 is a widely conserved H2AZ-binding module essential for ATP-dependent histone exchange. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:1064-71 pubmed..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, deposition of histone H2AZ is mediated by the multiprotein SWR1 complex, which catalyzes ATP-dependent exchange of nucleosomal histone H2A ..
- Zhang H, Richardson D, Roberts D, Utley R, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. The Yaf9 component of the SWR1 and NuA4 complexes is required for proper gene expression, histone H4 acetylation, and Htz1 replacement near telomeres. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9424-36 pubmed..Yaf9 is also associated with the SWR1 complex, which deposits the histone H2A variant Htz1. However, the functional contribution of Yaf9 to these complexes has not been determined...
- Luk E, Vu N, Patteson K, Mizuguchi G, Wu W, Ranjan A, et al. Chz1, a nuclear chaperone for histone H2AZ. Mol Cell. 2007;25:357-68 pubmed..In cells, the pool of unincorporated histone H2AZ has previously been found in association with Nap1, a chaperone for conventional histone H2A-H2B...
- Li B, Pattenden S, Lee D, Gutierrez J, Chen J, Seidel C, et al. Preferential occupancy of histone variant H2AZ at inactive promoters influences local histone modifications and chromatin remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18385-90 pubmedThe yeast histone variant H2AZ (Htz1) is implicated in transcription activation, prevention of the ectopic spread of heterochromatin, and genome integrity...
- Raisner R, Hartley P, Meneghini M, Bao M, Liu C, Schreiber S, et al. Histone variant H2A.Z marks the 5' ends of both active and inactive genes in euchromatin. Cell. 2005;123:233-48 pubmed..Efficient deposition of H2A.Z is further promoted by a specific pattern of histone H3 and H4 tail acetylation and the bromodomain protein Bdf1, a component of the Swr1 remodeling complex that deposits H2A.Z...
- Santisteban M, Hang M, Smith M. Histone variant H2A.Z and RNA polymerase II transcription elongation. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:1848-60 pubmed publisherNucleosomes containing histone variant H2A.Z (Htz1) serve to poise quiescent genes for activation and transcriptional initiation. However, little is known about their role in transcription elongation...
- Hartley P, Madhani H. Mechanisms that specify promoter nucleosome location and identity. Cell. 2009;137:445-58 pubmed publisher..Z deposition using a steroid-inducible protein splicing strategy, we show that NFR establishment is necessary for H2A.Z deposition. These studies suggest an ordered pathway for the assembly of promoter chromatin architecture. ..
- Adam M, Robert F, Larochelle M, Gaudreau L. H2A.Z is required for global chromatin integrity and for recruitment of RNA polymerase II under specific conditions. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6270-9 pubmed..function in GAL1-10 gene induction, and it restores the slow-growth phenotype of cells with a deletion of HTZ1. Furthermore, we show that the C-terminal region of H2A...
- Jeronimo C, Watanabe S, Kaplan C, Peterson C, Robert F. The Histone Chaperones FACT and Spt6 Restrict H2A.Z from Intragenic Locations. Mol Cell. 2015;58:1113-23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, chaperone-mediated H2A.Z confinement is crucial for restricting the chromatin signature of gene promoters that otherwise may license or promote cryptic transcription. ..
- Dronamraju R, Ramachandran S, Jha D, Adams A, DiFiore J, Parra M, et al. Redundant Functions for Nap1 and Chz1 in H2A.Z Deposition. Sci Rep. 2017;7:10791 pubmed publisher..Z deposition at promoters and led to heterochromatin spreading. Together, our findings reveal unique H2A.Z surface dependences for Nap1 and Chz1 and a redundant role for these chaperones in H2A.Z deposition. ..
- Wilson M, Meaux S, van Hoof A. A genomic screen in yeast reveals novel aspects of nonstop mRNA metabolism. Genetics. 2007;177:773-84 pubmed..Further, we show that the proteasome and Ski7p affected expression of nonstop reporter genes independently of each other. In addition, our results implicate inositol 1,3,4,5,6-pentakisphosphate as an inhibitor of nonstop mRNA decay. ..
- Lu P, Kobor M. Maintenance of heterochromatin boundary and nucleosome composition at promoters by the Asf1 histone chaperone and SWR1-C chromatin remodeler in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2014;197:133-45 pubmed publisher..Z at subtelomeric and euchromatic gene promoters, pointing to a role for Asf1-dependent H3K56 acetylation in SWR1-C biology. ..
- Richardson J, Uppendahl L, Traficante M, Levy S, Siegal M. Histone variant HTZ1 shows extensive epistasis with, but does not increase robustness to, new mutations. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003733 pubmed publisher..Z (HTZ1) to increase robustness to mutations in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Lai X, Beilharz T, Au W, Hammet A, Preiss T, Basrai M, et al. Yeast hEST1A/B (SMG5/6)-like proteins contribute to environment-sensing adaptive gene expression responses. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1649-59 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results suggest that Esl1 and Esl2 contribute to the regulation of adaptive gene expression responses of environmental sensing pathways. ..
- Ranjan A, Wang F, Mizuguchi G, Wei D, Huang Y, Wu C. H2A histone-fold and DNA elements in nucleosome activate SWR1-mediated H2A.Z replacement in budding yeast. elife. 2015;4:e06845 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new molecular insights on recognition of the canonical nucleosome by a chromatin remodeler and have implications for ATP-driven mechanisms of histone eviction and deposition. ..
- Biswas D, Takahata S, Xin H, Dutta Biswas R, Yu Y, Formosa T, et al. A role for Chd1 and Set2 in negatively regulating DNA replication in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2008;178:649-59 pubmed publisher..The pob3 defect in S-phase progression is suppressed by set2 or chd1 mutations, suggesting that Set2 and Chd1 have specific roles in negatively regulating DNA replication. ..
- Wood T, Thistlethwaite A, Harris M, Lovell S, Millar C. Mutations in non-acid patch residues disrupt H2A.Z's association with chromatin through multiple mechanisms. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76394 pubmed publisher..Z in nucleosomes. ..
- Biswas D, Dutta Biswas R, Mitra D, Shibata Y, Strahl B, Formosa T, et al. Opposing roles for Set2 and yFACT in regulating TBP binding at promoters. EMBO J. 2006;25:4479-89 pubmed..These synthetic defects are suppressed by set2, demonstrating that yFACT and Set2 oppose one another during transcriptional initiation at a step involving DNA binding by TBP and TFIIA. ..
- Hwang W, Venkatasubrahmanyam S, Ianculescu A, Tong A, Boone C, Madhani H. A conserved RING finger protein required for histone H2B monoubiquitination and cell size control. Mol Cell. 2003;11:261-6 pubmed..Notably, analysis of mutants demonstrates a function for Bre1/Lge1-dependent H2B monoubiquitination in the control of cell size. ..
- Renaud Young M, Lloyd D, Chatfield Reed K, George I, Chua G, Cobb J. The NuA4 complex promotes translesion synthesis (TLS)-mediated DNA damage tolerance. Genetics. 2015;199:1065-76 pubmed publisher..Lastly, disruption of HTZ1, which is a target of NuA4, also resulted in mutagenic rates of reversion on level with esa1-L254P and yng2Î” ..
- Malagon F, Tong A, Shafer B, Strathern J. Genetic interactions of DST1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae suggest a role of TFIIS in the initiation-elongation transition. Genetics. 2004;166:1215-27 pubmed..showed that: (1) dst1 and rpb9 mutants have a synthetic growth defective phenotype when combined with fyv4, gim5, htz1, yal011w, ybr231c, soh1, vps71, and vps72 mutants that is exacerbated during germination or at high salt ..
- Tian R, Hoa X, Lambert J, Pezacki J, Veres T, Figeys D. Development of a multiplexed microfluidic proteomic reactor and its application for studying protein-protein interactions. Anal Chem. 2011;83:4095-102 pubmed publisher..proteomic reactor was demonstrated for the simultaneous processing of the interactome of the histone variant Htz1 in wild-type yeast and in a swr1? yeast strain compared to an untagged control using a novel three-channel ..
- Hildebrand E, Biggins S. Regulation of Budding Yeast CENP-A levels Prevents Misincorporation at Promoter Nucleosomes and Transcriptional Defects. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005930 pubmed publisher..We found that ectopic CENP-A(Cse4) is enriched at promoters that contain histone H2A.Z(Htz1) nucleosomes, but that H2A.Z(Htz1) is not required for CENP-A(Cse4) mislocalization...
- Sadeghi L, Bonilla C, Strålfors A, Ekwall K, Svensson J. Podbat: a novel genomic tool reveals Swr1-independent H2A.Z incorporation at gene coding sequences through epigenetic meta-analysis. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011;7:e1002163 pubmed publisher..podbat.org, distributed under the GNU LGPL license. User manuals, test data and instructions are available at the website, as well as a repository for third party-developed plug-in modules. Podbat requires Java version 1.6 or higher. ..
- Takahashi D, Orihara Y, Kitagawa S, Kusakabe M, Shintani T, Oma Y, et al. Quantitative regulation of histone variant H2A.Z during cell cycle by ubiquitin proteasome system and SUMO-targeted ubiquitin ligases. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1557-1560 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of H2A.Z induced defects in mitotic progression, suggesting functional importance of this quantitative control. ..
- Holbein S, Wengi A, Decourty L, Freimoser F, Jacquier A, Dichtl B. Cordycepin interferes with 3' end formation in yeast independently of its potential to terminate RNA chain elongation. RNA. 2009;15:837-49 pubmed publisher..Finally, chemical-genetic profiling revealed genome-wide pathways linked to cordycepin activity and identified novel genes involved in poly(A) homeostasis. ..
- Basnet H, Su X, Tan Y, Meisenhelder J, Merkurjev D, Ohgi K, et al. Tyrosine phosphorylation of histone H2A by CK2 regulates transcriptional elongation. Nature. 2014;516:267-71 pubmed publisher..Together, these results identify a new component of regulation in transcriptional elongation based on CK2-dependent tyrosine phosphorylation of the globular domain of H2A. ..
- Nadal Ribelles M, Mas G, MillÃ¡n Zambrano G, SolÃ© C, Ammerer G, ChÃ¡vez S, et al. H3K4 monomethylation dictates nucleosome dynamics and chromatin remodeling at stress-responsive genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:4937-49 pubmed publisher..Our findings point to a novel role for H3K4 monomethylation in dictating the specificity of chromatin remodeling, adding an extra layer of regulation to the transcriptional stress response. ..
- Wan Y, Zuo X, Zhuo Y, Zhu M, Danziger S, Zhou Z. The functional role of SUMO E3 ligase Mms21p in the maintenance of subtelomeric silencing in budding yeast. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;438:746-52 pubmed publisher..In addition, a mms21?sl mutant caused a severe growth defect in combination with htz1? deletion and showed an enhanced association of Htz1 with telomere proximal regions...
- Calvert M, Keck K, Ptak C, Shabanowitz J, Hunt D, Pemberton L. Phosphorylation by casein kinase 2 regulates Nap1 localization and function. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1313-25 pubmed..In conclusion, our data show that Nap1 phosphorylation by CK2 appears to regulate Nap1 localization and is required for normal progression through S phase. ..
- Rosonina E, Yurko N, Li W, Hoque M, Tian B, Manley J. Threonine-4 of the budding yeast RNAP II CTD couples transcription with Htz1-mediated chromatin remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:11924-31 pubmed publisher..We identify genetic links between Thr4 and the histone variant Htz1 and show that Thr4, as well as the Ino80 chromatin remodeler, is required for activation-associated eviction of ..
- Liu H, Li G, Liu L, Wan Y. Functional role of histone variant Htz1Â in the stress response to oleate in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biosci Rep. 2015;35: pubmed publisher..In the present study, we reported the dynamics of nucleosome occupancy, Histone Two A Z1 (Htz1) deposition and histone H3 lysine 4 dimethylation (H3K4me2) and histone H3 lysine 79 trimethylation (H3K79me3) in ..
- Yu Y, Deng Y, Reed S, Millar C, Waters R. Histone variant Htz1 promotes histone H3 acetylation to enhance nucleotide excision repair in Htz1 nucleosomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:9006-19 pubmed publisher..We show here that a histone H2A variant, Htz1 (H2A.Z), in nucleosomes has a positive function in promoting efficient NER in yeast...
- Liu H, Luo K, Zhou Z, Mu Y, Wan Y. Histone chaperone Chz1 facilitates the disfavouring property of Spt16 to H2A.Z-containing genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2014;460:387-97 pubmed publisherb>Htz1 (histone 2A Z1) deposition at promoters is involved in the transcriptional activation of quiescent genes. Chz1 [chaperone for Htz1 (or H2A)-H2B dimer] is an Htz1-H2B-specific chaperone that delivers histone H2A...
- Biswas D, Dutta Biswas R, Stillman D. Chd1 and yFACT act in opposition in regulating transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6279-87 pubmed..Although human Chd1 has been shown to bind to H3-K4-Me, we discuss evidence arguing that yeast Chd1 binds to neither H3-K4-Me nor H3-K36-Me. ..
- Ramaswamy A, Ioshikhes I. Global dynamics of newly constructed oligonucleosomes of conventional and variant H2A.Z histone. BMC Struct Biol. 2007;7:76 pubmed..The variant H2A.Z histone is a major source of weaker intra- and inter-molecular correlations resulting in more disordered motions. ..
- Scott E, Pillus L. Homocitrate synthase connects amino acid metabolism to chromatin functions through Esa1 and DNA damage. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1903-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, Lys20 appears to have evolved as a bifunctional protein that connects cellular metabolism with chromatin functions. ..
- Reis C, Campbell J. Contribution of Trf4/5 and the nuclear exosome to genome stability through regulation of histone mRNA levels in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;175:993-1010 pubmed..These results identify TRF4, TRF5, and RRP6 as new players in the regulation of histone mRNA levels in yeast. To our knowledge, the histone transcripts are the first mRNAs that are upregulated in Trf mutants. ..