Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HOF1
Description: formin-binding protein HOF1
Alias: CYK2, formin-binding protein HOF1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kamei T, Tanaka K, Hihara T, Umikawa M, Imamura H, Kikyo M, et al. Interaction of Bnr1p with a novel Src homology 3 domain-containing Hof1p. Implication in cytokinesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:28341-5 pubmed..was homologous to cdc15p, which is involved in cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe, and we named this gene HOF1 (homolog of cdc 15)...
- Palani S, Meitinger F, Boehm M, Lehmann W, Pereira G. Cdc14-dependent dephosphorylation of Inn1 contributes to Inn1-Cyk3 complex formation. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3091-6 pubmed publisher..with the C-terminal proline-rich domain of Inn1 that mediates its binding to the SH3-domain-containing proteins Hof1 and Cyk3...
- Sanchez Diaz A, Marchesi V, Murray S, Jones R, Pereira G, Edmondson R, et al. Inn1 couples contraction of the actomyosin ring to membrane ingression during cytokinesis in budding yeast. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:395-406 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that recruitment of the C2 domain of Inn1 to the contractile actomyosin ring is crucial for ingression of the plasma membrane during cytokinesis in budding yeast. ..
- Blondel M, Bach S, Bamps S, Dobbelaere J, Wiget P, Longaretti C, et al. Degradation of Hof1 by SCF(Grr1) is important for actomyosin contraction during cytokinesis in yeast. EMBO J. 2005;24:1440-52 pubmed..Here, we show that SCF(Grr1) functions during cytokinesis by degrading the PCH protein Hof1. While Hof1 is required early in mitosis to assemble a functional actomyosin ring, it is specifically degraded late ..
- Korinek W, Bi E, Epp J, Wang L, Ho J, Chant J. Cyk3, a novel SH3-domain protein, affects cytokinesis in yeast. Curr Biol. 2000;10:947-50 pubmed..Deletion of either cyk3 or hof1 alone results in a mild cytokinetic phenotype [5-7], but deletion of both genes resulted in lethality and a ..
- Jendretzki A, Ciklic I, Rodicio R, Schmitz H, Heinisch J. Cyk3 acts in actomyosin ring independent cytokinesis by recruiting Inn1 to the yeast bud neck. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009;282:437-51 pubmed publisher..couples these processes by interaction with both the plasma membrane and the temporary actomyosin ring component Hof1. In addition, an actomyosin ring independent cytokinesis pathway exists in yeast...
- Meitinger F, Petrova B, Lombardi I, Bertazzi D, Hub B, Zentgraf H, et al. Targeted localization of Inn1, Cyk3 and Chs2 by the mitotic-exit network regulates cytokinesis in budding yeast. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1851-61 pubmed publisher..This defect was partially suppressed by increased levels of Cyk3. We therefore propose that the MEN directly controls cytokinesis via targeting of Inn1, Cyk3 and Chs2 to the bud neck...
- Meitinger F, Palani S, Hub B, Pereira G. Dual function of the NDR-kinase Dbf2 in the regulation of the F-BAR protein Hof1 during cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1290-304 pubmed publisher..Among its cytokinesis-related substrates is the F-BAR protein Hof1. Hof1 colocalizes at the cell division site with the septin complex and, as mitotic exit progresses, moves to the ..
- Meitinger F, Richter H, Heisel S, Hub B, Seufert W, Pereira G. A safeguard mechanism regulates Rho GTPases to coordinate cytokinesis with the establishment of cell polarity. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001495 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide unexpected insights into the temporal control of cytokinesis and describe the importance of a Gps1-dependent mechanism for highly accurate polarity switching between two closely connected locations. ..
- Onishi M, Ko N, Nishihama R, Pringle J. Distinct roles of Rho1, Cdc42, and Cyk3 in septum formation and abscission during yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:311-29 pubmed publisher..This work suggests a general role for the catalytically inactive transglutaminases of fungi and animals, some of which have previously been implicated in cytokinesis. ..
- Meitinger F, Boehm M, Hofmann A, Hub B, Zentgraf H, Lehmann W, et al. Phosphorylation-dependent regulation of the F-BAR protein Hof1 during cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2011;25:875-88 pubmed publisher..Here we identified the conserved F-BAR protein Hof1 as a substrate of the MEN kinase complex Dbf2-Mob1 during cytokinesis...
- Lee P, Song S, Ro H, Park C, Lippincott J, Li R, et al. Bni5p, a septin-interacting protein, is required for normal septin function and cytokinesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6906-20 pubmed..Our data suggest that the Bni5p-septin interaction is important for septin ring stability and function, which is in turn critical for normal cytokinesis. ..
- Oh Y, Schreiter J, Nishihama R, Wloka C, Bi E. Targeting and functional mechanisms of the cytokinesis-related F-BAR protein Hof1 during the cell cycle. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1305-20 pubmed publisher..In the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the F-BAR protein Hof1 localizes to the division site in a complex pattern during the cell cycle and plays an important role in ..
- GarcÃa RodrÃguez L, De Piccoli G, Marchesi V, Jones R, Edmondson R, Labib K. A conserved PolÏµ binding module in Ctf18-RFC is required for S-phase checkpoint activation downstream of Mec1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:8830-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the association of Ctf18-RFC with Pol Ïµ at defective replication forks is a key step in activation of the S-phase checkpoint. ..
- Finnigan G, Duvalyan A, Liao E, Sargsyan A, Thorner J. Detection of protein-protein interactions at the septin collar in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using a tripartite split-GFP system. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:2708-25 pubmed publisher..additional new information by examining whether three other proteins reported to localize to the bud neck (Nis1, Bud4, and Hof1) are able to interact physically with any of the subunits in the septin collar and, if so, with which ones.
- Devrekanli A, Foltman M, Roncero C, Sanchez Diaz A, Labib K. Inn1 and Cyk3 regulate chitin synthase during cytokinesis in budding yeasts. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5453-66 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest novel approaches for developing future drugs against important fungal pathogens. ..
- Chang M, Bellaoui M, Boone C, Brown G. A genome-wide screen for methyl methanesulfonate-sensitive mutants reveals genes required for S phase progression in the presence of DNA damage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16934-9 pubmed..These genes may promote replication fork stability or processivity during encounters between replication forks and DNA damage. ..
- Song S, Lee K. A novel function of Saccharomyces cerevisiae CDC5 in cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:451-69 pubmed..between Cdc5 and septins (Cdc11 and Cdc12) and genetic interactions between the dominant-negative cdc5DeltaN and Cyk2/Hof1 or Myo1 suggest that direct interactions between cdc5DeltaN and septins resulted in inhibition of Cyk2/Hof1- ..
- Nkosi P, Targosz B, Labib K, Sanchez Diaz A. Hof1 and Rvs167 have redundant roles in actomyosin ring function during cytokinesis in budding yeast. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57846 pubmed publisherThe Hof1 protein (Homologue of Fifteen) regulates formation of the primary septum during cytokinesis in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, whereas the orthologous Cdc15 protein in fission yeast regulates the actomyosin ring by ..
- Stockstill K, Park J, Wille R, Bay G, Joseph A, Shannon K. Mutation of Hof1 PEST motif phosphorylation sites leads to retention of Hof1 at the bud neck and a decrease in the rate of myosin contraction. Cell Biol Int. 2013;37:314-25 pubmed publisherRegulation of actomyosin ring contraction is important for the coordination of cytokinesis with mitosis. Hof1, a member of the Pombe Cdc15 homology (PCH) family of proteins, is required for efficient cytokinesis in budding yeast...
- Cassani C, Raspelli E, Santo N, Chiroli E, Lucchini G, Fraschini R. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Dma proteins participate in cytokinesis by controlling two different pathways. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:2794-808 pubmed publisher..that does not cause any apparent defect in wild-type cells leads to lethal cytokinesis block in cells lacking the Hof1 protein, which is essential for primary septum formation in the absence of Cyk3...
- Naylor S, Morgan D. Cdk1-dependent phosphorylation of Iqg1 governs actomyosin ring assembly prior to cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:1128-37 pubmed publisher..We also identified the primary septum regulator Hof1 as a binding partner of Iqg1, providing a regulatory link between the septation and contractile pathways that ..
- Wolken D, McInnes J, Pon L. Aim44p regulates phosphorylation of Hof1p to promote contractile ring closure during cytokinesis in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:753-62 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal a novel role for Aim44p in regulating contractile ring closure through effects on Hof1p. ..
- Tian C, Wu Y, Johnsson N. Stepwise and cooperative assembly of a cytokinetic core complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:3614-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that the MIH complex acts as hinge between the AMR and the proteins involved in cell wall synthesis and membrane attachment. ..
- Sullivan D, Georgiev A, Menon A. Tritium suicide selection identifies proteins involved in the uptake and intracellular transport of sterols in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:161-9 pubmed publisher..The transport of newly synthesized sterols from the ER to the PM was also defective in det1Delta cells. These data indicate that the cytoplasmic protein encoded by DET1 is involved in intracellular sterol transport...
- Foltman M, Molist I, Arcones I, Sacristan C, Filali Mouncef Y, Roncero C, et al. Ingression Progression Complexes Control Extracellular Matrix Remodelling during Cytokinesis in Budding Yeast. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005864 pubmed publisher..In addition to type II myosin, the IQGAP protein Iqg1 and Chs2, IPCs contain the F-BAR protein Hof1, and the cytokinesis regulators Inn1 and Cyk3...
- Tessarz P, Schwarz M, Mogk A, Bukau B. The yeast AAA+ chaperone Hsp104 is part of a network that links the actin cytoskeleton with the inheritance of damaged proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3738-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provided genetic evidence that links Spa2 and Hsp104 to Hof1, a member of the cytokinesis machinery...
- Cassani C, Raspelli E, Chiroli E, Fraschini R. Vhs2 is a novel regulator of septin dynamics in budding yeast. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:1590-601 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that Vhs2 is a novel Cdc14 substrate that is involved in the control of septin organization. ..
- Graziano B, Yu H, Alioto S, Eskin J, Ydenberg C, Waterman D, et al. The F-BAR protein Hof1 tunes formin activity to sculpt actin cables during polarized growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1730-43 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the Fer/Cip4 homology-Bin amphiphysin Rvs protein Hof1, which has known roles in cytokinesis, also functions during polarized growth by directly controlling the ..
- Oh Y, Schreiter J, Okada H, Wloka C, Okada S, Yan D, et al. Hof1 and Chs4 Interact via F-BAR Domain and Sel1-like Repeats to Control Extracellular Matrix Deposition during Cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 2017;27:2878-2886.e5 pubmed publisher..What keeps Chs3 inactive until secondary septum formation remains unknown. Here, we show that Hof1 binds to the Sel1-like repeats (SLRs) of Chs4 via its F-BAR domain and inhibits Chs3-mediated chitin synthesis ..