Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HIR2
Alias: SPT1, Hir2p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Nourani A, Robert F, Winston F. Evidence that Spt2/Sin1, an HMG-like factor, plays roles in transcription elongation, chromatin structure, and genome stability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:1496-509 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest a direct link for Spt2 with transcription elongation, chromatin dynamics, and genome stability. ..
- Amin A, Dimova D, Ferreira M, Vishnoi N, Hancock L, Osley M, et al. The mitotic Clb cyclins are required to alleviate HIR-mediated repression of the yeast histone genes at the G1/S transition. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1819:16-27 pubmed publisher..The HIR complex, comprised of Hir1, Hir2, Hir3 and Hpc2, regulates three of the four histone gene loci...
- Sharp J, Fouts E, Krawitz D, Kaufman P. Yeast histone deposition protein Asf1p requires Hir proteins and PCNA for heterochromatic silencing. Curr Biol. 2001;11:463-73 pubmed..Also, Asf1p bound to the Hir1p and Hir2p proteins in vitro and in cell extracts...
- Kaufman P, Cohen J, Osley M. Hir proteins are required for position-dependent gene silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae in the absence of chromatin assembly factor I. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4793-806 pubmed
- Gradolatto A, Rogers R, Lavender H, Taverna S, Allis C, Aitchison J, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Yta7 regulates histone gene expression. Genetics. 2008;179:291-304 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests a mechanism in which Yta7 is localized to chromatin to establish regions of transcriptional silencing, and that one facet of this cellular mechanism is to modulate transcription of histone genes. ..
- Lin L, Minard L, Johnston G, Singer R, Schultz M. Asf1 can promote trimethylation of H3 K36 by Set2. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1116-29 pubmed publisher..This function of Asf1 promotes the switch from di- to trimethylation of H3 K36 at that gene. These results support the view that Set2 function in chromatin metabolism can intimately involve histone chaperone Asf1. ..
- Sherwood P, Tsang S, Osley M. Characterization of HIR1 and HIR2, two genes required for regulation of histone gene transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:28-38 pubmedThe products of the HIR1 and HIR2 genes have been defined genetically as repressors of histone gene transcription in S. cerevisiae...
- Vishnoi N, Flaherty K, Hancock L, Ferreira M, Amin A, Prochasson P. Separation-of-function mutation in HPC2, a member of the HIR complex in S. cerevisiae, results in derepression of the histone genes but does not confer cryptic TATA phenotypes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1809:557-66 pubmed publisherThe HIR complex, which is comprised of the four proteins Hir1, Hir2, Hir3 and Hpc2, was first characterized as a repressor of three of the four histone gene loci in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...