Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HEM1
Description: 5-aminolevulinate synthase
Alias: CYD1, OLE3, 5-aminolevulinate synthase
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kardon J, Yien Y, Huston N, Branco D, Hildick Smith G, Rhee K, et al. Mitochondrial ClpX Activates a Key Enzyme for Heme Biosynthesis and Erythropoiesis. Cell. 2015;161:858-67 pubmed publisher..mtClpX, therefore, is a widely conserved stimulator of an essential biosynthetic pathway and uses a previously unrecognized mechanism for AAA+ unfoldases. ..
- Volland C, Felix F. Isolation and properties of 5-aminolevulinate synthase from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eur J Biochem. 1984;142:551-7 pubmed..3 and a pH optimum of 7.4. Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate has been shown to be an essential cofactor. The enzyme activity was sensitive to thiol blocking reagents. Hemin, but not heme, inhibited the activity of the purified enzyme. ..
- Lin M, Unden H, Jacquier N, Schneiter R, Just U, Höfken T. The Cdc42 effectors Ste20, Cla4, and Skm1 down-regulate the expression of genes involved in sterol uptake by a mitogen-activated protein kinase-independent pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4826-37 pubmed publisher..Together, these observations suggest that PAKs translocate into the nucleus, where they modulate expression of sterol uptake genes via Sut1, thereby controlling sterol homeostasis. ..
- Marek M, Milles S, Schreiber G, Daleke D, Dittmar G, Herrmann A, et al. The yeast plasma membrane ATP binding cassette (ABC) transporter Aus1: purification, characterization, and the effect of lipids on its activity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:21835-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a direct interaction between Aus1 and PS that is critical for the activity of the transporter...
- Pineau L, Bonifait L, Berjeaud J, Alimardani Theuil P, Berges T, Ferreira T. A lipid-mediated quality control process in the Golgi apparatus in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:807-21 pubmed
- Pineau L, Colas J, Dupont S, Beney L, Fleurat Lessard P, Berjeaud J, et al. Lipid-induced ER stress: synergistic effects of sterols and saturated fatty acids. Traffic. 2009;10:673-90 pubmed publisher..The present data are discussed in the context of human diseases that involve lipid deregulation. ..