Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: GSP1
Description: Ran GTPase GSP1
Alias: CNR1, CST17, Ran GTPase GSP1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Rothenbusch U, Sawatzki M, Chang Y, Caesar S, Schlenstedt G. Sumoylation regulates Kap114-mediated nuclear transport. EMBO J. 2012;31:2461-72 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, sumoylation of Kap114 greatly stimulates cargo dissociation in vitro. We propose that sumoylation occurs at the site of Kap114 cargo function and that SUMO is a cargo release factor involved in intranuclear targeting. ..
- Floer M, Blobel G. The nuclear transport factor karyopherin beta binds stoichiometrically to Ran-GTP and inhibits the Ran GTPase activating protein. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:5313-6 pubmed..Ran-GDP bound only weakly to karyopherin beta. We propose that stoichiometric complex formation between karyopherin beta and Ran-GTP renders Ran-GTP inaccessible to RanGAP. ..
- Becker J, Melchior F, Gerke V, Bischoff F, Ponstingl H, Wittinghofer A. RNA1 encodes a GTPase-activating protein specific for Gsp1p, the Ran/TC4 homologue of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:11860-5 pubmed..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae a gene highly homologous to Ran/TC4 has been identified and named GSP1. Like all ras-related GTP-binding proteins, Gsp1p undergoes cycles of GTP hydrolysis and GDP/GTP exchange...
- Oeffinger M, Dlakic M, Tollervey D. A pre-ribosome-associated HEAT-repeat protein is required for export of both ribosomal subunits. Genes Dev. 2004;18:196-209 pubmed..We propose that Rrp12p binds to the RNA components of the pre-ribosomes and promotes export of both subunits via its interactions with the nucleoporins and Gsp1p. ..
- Solsbacher J, Maurer P, Bischoff F, Schlenstedt G. Cse1p is involved in export of yeast importin alpha from the nucleus. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:6805-15 pubmed..The formation of the trimeric Srp1p-Cse1p-RanGTP complex is inhibited by NLS peptides, indicating that only NLS-free Srp1p will be exported to the cytoplasm. ..
- Gorlich D, Dabrowski M, Bischoff F, Kutay U, Bork P, Hartmann E, et al. A novel class of RanGTP binding proteins. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:65-80 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we propose that RanBP7 might represent a nuclear transport factor that carries an as yet unknown cargo, which could apply as well for this entire class of related RanGTP-binding proteins. ..
- Fries T, Betz C, Sohn K, Caesar S, Schlenstedt G, Bailer S. A novel conserved nuclear localization signal is recognized by a group of yeast importins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:19292-301 pubmed
- Oki M, Ma L, Wang Y, Hatanaka A, Miyazato C, Tatebayashi K, et al. Identification of novel suppressors for Mog1 implies its involvement in RNA metabolism, lipid metabolism and signal transduction. Gene. 2007;400:114-21 pubmed..Furthermore, SpMog1 was co-precipitated with Nxt2 and Cid13. ..
- McGuire A, Mangroo D. Cex1p facilitates Rna1p-mediated dissociation of the Los1p-tRNA-Gsp1p-GTP export complex. Traffic. 2012;13:234-56 pubmed publisher..It is possible that this tRNA unloading mechanism is conserved in evolutionarily diverse organisms and that other Gsp1p-GTP-dependent export processes use a pathway-specific component to recruit Rna1p to the NPC. ..
- Kunzler M, Hurt E. Targeting of Ran: variation on a common theme?. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:3233-41 pubmed..Several groups have now identified importin beta as one important target of Ran during mitotic spindle formation. This finding suggests that Ran uses the same effectors to regulate different cellular processes. ..
- Pemberton L, Rosenblum J, Blobel G. A distinct and parallel pathway for the nuclear import of an mRNA-binding protein. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1645-53 pubmed..Thus, at least two parallel pathways function in the import of mRNA-binding proteins, suggesting the need for the coordination of these pathways. ..
- Koyama M, Matsuura Y. An allosteric mechanism to displace nuclear export cargo from CRM1 and RanGTP by RanBP1. EMBO J. 2010;29:2002-13 pubmed publisher..Structure-based mutagenesis indicated that the HEAT9 loop also functions as an allosteric autoinhibitor to stabilize CRM1 in a conformation that is unable to bind NES-cargo in the absence of RanGTP. ..
- Lonhienne T, Forwood J, Marfori M, Robin G, Kobe B, Carroll B. Importin-beta is a GDP-to-GTP exchange factor of Ran: implications for the mechanism of nuclear import. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22549-58 pubmed publisher..The exchange is also inhibited by nuclear-transport factor-2 (NTF2). We suggest a mechanism for nuclear import, additional to the established RCC1 (Ran-guanine exchange factor)-dependent pathway that incorporates these results. ..
- Stochaj U, Hejazi M, Belhumeur P. The small GTPase Gsp1p binds to the repeat domain of the nucleoporin Nsp1p. Biochem J. 1998;330 ( Pt 1):421-7 pubmed..We further demonstrate that both Gsp1p and Nsp1p are components of larger protein complexes in vivo, supporting the idea that the association between both proteins takes place in growing cells. ..
- Caesar S, Greiner M, Schlenstedt G. Kap120 functions as a nuclear import receptor for ribosome assembly factor Rpf1 in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3170-80 pubmed
- Baker R, Harreman M, Eccleston J, Corbett A, Stewart M. Interaction between Ran and Mog1 is required for efficient nuclear protein import. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41255-62 pubmed..Our results indicate that a primary function of Mog1 requires binding to Ran and that the Mog1-Ran interaction is necessary for efficient nuclear protein import in vivo. ..
- Lord C, Timney B, Rout M, Wente S. Altering nuclear pore complex function impacts longevity and mitochondrial function in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2015;208:729-44 pubmed publisher..Both Kap121-dependent transport and Nup116 levels decrease in replicatively aged yeast. Overexpression of GSP1, the small GTPase that powers karyopherin-mediated transport, rescued mitochondrial and RLS defects in nup116 ..
- Kunzler M, Hurt E. Cse1p functions as the nuclear export receptor for importin alpha in yeast. FEBS Lett. 1998;433:185-90 pubmed..These findings suggest that Cse1p is the exportin of importin alpha in yeast. ..
- Blondel M, Alepuz P, Huang L, Shaham S, Ammerer G, Peter M. Nuclear export of Far1p in response to pheromones requires the export receptor Msn5p/Ste21p. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2284-300 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that nuclear export of Far1p by Msn5p/Ste21p coordinates the two separable functions of Far1p during mating. ..
- Noguchi E, Saitoh Y, Sazer S, Nishimoto T. Disruption of the YRB2 gene retards nuclear protein export, causing a profound mitotic delay, and can be rescued by overexpression of XPO1/CRM1. J Biochem. 1999;125:574-85 pubmed..The cold sensitive colony-formation of Deltayrb2 cells was rescued by both XPO1/CRM1 and GSP1, but not CDC5, carried on a multicopy vector. XPO1/CRM1 rescued Deltayrb2 even in a single copy...
- Lau D, Kunzler M, Braunwarth A, Hellmuth K, Podtelejnikov A, Mann M, et al. Purification of protein A-tagged yeast ran reveals association with a novel karyopherin beta family member, Pdr6p. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:467-71 pubmedThe small GTPase Ran (encoded by GSP1 and GSP2 in yeast) plays a central role in nucleocytoplasmic transport. GSP1 and GSP2 were tagged with protein A and functionally expressed in a gsp1 null mutant...
- Taura T, Schlenstedt G, Silver P. Yrb2p is a nuclear protein that interacts with Prp20p, a yeast Rcc1 homologue. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:31877-84 pubmed..The Ran binding domain of Yrb2p is essential for function and for its association with Prp20p and the GTP-binding proteins. Taken together, we suggest that Yrb2p may play a role in the Ran GTPase cycle distinct from nuclear transport. ..
- Wu F, Liu Y, Zhu Z, Huang H, Ding B, Wu J, et al. The 1.9Å crystal structure of Prp20p from Saccharomyces cerevisiae and its binding properties to Gsp1p and histones. J Struct Biol. 2011;174:213-22 pubmed publisher..Our model reveals that Prp20p and RCC1 share similar Ran GTPase binding mode. In addition, we also studied the histone-binding property of Prp20p in vitro. ..
- Hahn S, Schlenstedt G. Importin ?-type nuclear transport receptors have distinct binding affinities for Ran-GTP. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;406:383-8 pubmed publisher..We found that the number of ?-receptors altogether about equals the amounts of yeast Ran, but Ran-GTP is not limiting in the nucleus. The implications of our results for nucleocytoplasmic transport mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Nakashima N, Hayashi N, Noguchi E, Nishimoto T. Putative GTPase Gtr1p genetically interacts with the RanGTPase cycle in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 9):2311-8 pubmed..In summary, Gtr1p that was localized in the cytoplasm by immunofluoresence staining was suggested to function as a negative regulator for the Ran/TC4 GTPase cycle. ..
- Oki M, Nishimoto T. A protein required for nuclear-protein import, Mog1p, directly interacts with GTP-Gsp1p, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ran homologue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:15388-93 pubmedWe previously isolated 25 temperature-sensitive gsp1 alleles of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ran homologue, each of which possesses amino acid changes that differ from each other...
- Clement M, Lavallée F, Barbès Morin G, de Repentigny L, Belhumeur P. Overexpression of Bud5p can suppress mutations in the Gsp1p guanine nucleotide exchange factor Prp20p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;266:20-7 pubmed..factor (GEF) for the small nuclear G protein Gsp1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and catalyses the replacement of Gsp1-bound GDP by GTP...
- SchÃ¼tz S, Fischer U, Altvater M, Nerurkar P, PeÃ±a C, Gerber M, et al. A RanGTP-independent mechanism allows ribosomal protein nuclear import for ribosome assembly. elife. 2014;3:e03473 pubmed publisher..We anticipate similar carriers-termed here escortins-to securely connect the nuclear import machinery with pathways that deposit r-proteins onto developing pre-ribosomal particles. ..
- Brune C, Munchel S, Fischer N, Podtelejnikov A, Weis K. Yeast poly(A)-binding protein Pab1 shuttles between the nucleus and the cytoplasm and functions in mRNA export. RNA. 2005;11:517-31 pubmed..Therefore, nuclear Pab1 may be required for efficient mRNA export and may function in the quality control of mRNA in the nucleus. ..
- Ouspenski I, Mueller U, Matynia A, Sazer S, Elledge S, Brinkley B. Ran-binding protein-1 is an essential component of the Ran/RCC1 molecular switch system in budding yeast. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:1975-8 pubmed..Two of the genes recovered in the screen, CST17 and CST20, share a number of phenotypic properties, suggesting their involvement in the same cellular process...
- Huang H, Hopper A. In vivo biochemical analyses reveal distinct roles of Î²-importins and eEF1A in tRNA subcellular traffic. Genes Dev. 2015;29:772-83 pubmed publisher..Assembly and/or stability of this quaternary complex requires Tef1/2, thereby facilitating efficient re-export of aminoacylated tRNAs to the cytoplasm. ..
- Eswara M, McGuire A, Pierce J, Mangroo D. Utp9p facilitates Msn5p-mediated nuclear reexport of retrograded tRNAs in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5007-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the data suggest that Utp9p together with Utp8p translocate aminoacyl-tRNAs from the nucleolus to Msn5p and assist with formation of the Msn5p-tRNA-Gsp1p-GTP export complex. ..
- Weberruss M, Savulescu A, Jando J, Bissinger T, Harel A, Glickman M, et al. Blm10 facilitates nuclear import of proteasome core particles. EMBO J. 2013;32:2697-707 pubmed publisher..Thus, Blm10 represents the first CP-dedicated nuclear import receptor in yeast...
- Lee A, Clark K, Fleischmann M, Aebi M, Clark M. Site-directed mutagenesis of the yeast PRP20/SRM1 gene reveals distinct activity domains in the protein product. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;245:32-44 pubmed..conditional lethal phenotype and the loss of dsDNA binding affinity are both suppressible by overproduction of Gsp1, a GTP-binding constituent of the Prp20 complex, homologous to the mammalian protein TC4/Ran...
- Kunzler M, Trueheart J, Sette C, Hurt E, Thorner J. Mutations in the YRB1 gene encoding yeast ran-binding-protein-1 that impair nucleocytoplasmic transport and suppress yeast mating defects. Genetics. 2001;157:1089-105 pubmed..The altered proteins have reduced affinity for Ran (Gsp1) in vivo...
- Koyama M, Shirai N, Matsuura Y. Structural insights into how Yrb2p accelerates the assembly of the Xpo1p nuclear export complex. Cell Rep. 2014;9:983-95 pubmed publisher..The structure also reveals the major binding sites for FG repeats on Xpo1p. ..
- Clement M, Deshaies F, de Repentigny L, Belhumeur P. The nuclear GTPase Gsp1p can affect proper telomeric function through the Sir4 protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2006;62:453-68 pubmed..Interestingly, Gsp1p was found to interact genetically and physically with the telomeric component Sir4p. Taken together, these results suggest that the GSP1 pathway could regulate proper telomeric function in yeast through Sir4p.
- Iovine M, Wente S. A nuclear export signal in Kap95p is required for both recycling the import factor and interaction with the nucleoporin GLFG repeat regions of Nup116p and Nup100p. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:797-811 pubmed..This finding highlights an important role for a subfamily of GLFG nucleoporins in nuclear export processes. ..
- Baker R, Stewart M. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ran-binding protein Mog1p. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2000;56:229-31 pubmed..Overexpression of MOG1 is able to suppress temperature-sensitive gsp1 mutants in yeast; Deltamog1 null mutants display temperature-sensitive defects in nuclear trafficking...
- Quan X, Tsoulos P, Kuritzky A, Zhang R, Stochaj U. The carrier Msn5p/Kap142p promotes nuclear export of the hsp70 Ssa4p and relocates in response to stress. Mol Microbiol. 2006;62:592-609 pubmed..Taken together, growth and stress conditions that localize the transporter Msn5p to the cytoplasm also induce the nuclear accumulation of its cargo Ssa4p. ..
- Denning D, Mykytka B, Allen N, Huang L, Al Burlingame -, Rexach M. The nucleoporin Nup60p functions as a Gsp1p-GTP-sensitive tether for Nup2p at the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:937-50 pubmed..The results suggest a dynamic interaction, controlled by the nucleoplasmic concentration of Gsp1p-GTP, between Nup60p and Nup2p at the NPC. ..
- Akhtar N, Hagan H, Lopilato J, Corbett A. Functional analysis of the yeast Ran exchange factor Prp20p: in vivo evidence for the RanGTP gradient model. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:851-64 pubmed..Taken together, our results provide in vivo evidence for the idea that the compartmentalization of the exchange factor serves as a mechanism for establishing directional nuclear transport. ..
- Quimby B, Wilson C, Corbett A. The interaction between Ran and NTF2 is required for cell cycle progression. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2617-29 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that NTF2 is required to transport Ran into the nucleus in vivo. Furthermore, we present data that suggest that depletion of nuclear Ran triggers a spindle-assembly checkpoint-dependent cell cycle arrest. ..
- Zhao Q, Leung S, Corbett A, Meier I. Identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis orthologs of nuclear transport factor 2, the nuclear import factor of ran. Plant Physiol. 2006;140:869-78 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we propose that AtNTF2a and AtNTF2b function in Ran import in Arabidopsis and that nuclear import of Ran is functionally conserved in plants. ..
- Wang Y, Nakashima N, Sekiguchi T, Nishimoto T. Saccharomyces cerevisiae GTPase complex: Gtr1p-Gtr2p regulates cell-proliferation through Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ran-binding protein, Yrb2p. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:639-45 pubmed..The resulting Gtr1p-Gtr2p complex was comprised of an equal amount of Gtr1p and Gtr2p, which inhibited the Rna1p/Yrb2 dependent RanGAP activity. Thus, the Gtr1p-Gtr2p cycle was suggested to regulate the Ran cycle through Yrb2p. ..
- Oki M, Nishimoto T. Yrb1p interaction with the gsp1p C terminus blocks Mog1p stimulation of GTP release from Gsp1p. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:32894-900 pubmedMog1p, a multicopy suppressor of gsp1, the temperature-sensitive mutant of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ran homologue, binds to GTP-Gsp1p but not to GDP-Gsp1p. The function of Mog1p in the Ran cycle is as yet unknown...
- Suzuki N, Noguchi E, Nakashima N, Oki M, Ohba T, Tartakoff A, et al. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae small GTPase, Gsp1p/Ran, is involved in 3' processing of 7S-to-5.8S rRNA and in degradation of the excised 5'-A0 fragment of 35S pre-rRNA, both of which are carried out by the exosome. Genetics. 2001;158:613-25 pubmed..cerevisiae Ran homologue, Gsp1p. In both dis3 and gsp1 mutants, 3' processing of 7S-to-5.8S rRNA was blocked at three identical sites in an allele-specific manner...
- Noguchi E, Hayashi N, Nakashima N, Nishimoto T. Yrb2p, a Nup2p-related yeast protein, has a functional overlap with Rna1p, a yeast Ran-GTPase-activating protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2235-46 pubmed..Using GSP1, encoding the yeast Ran, as bait, we isolated YRB2...
- Taura T, Krebber H, Silver P. A member of the Ran-binding protein family, Yrb2p, is involved in nuclear protein export. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:7427-32 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Yrb2p acts inside the nucleus to mediate the action of Xpo1p in at least one of several nuclear export pathways. ..
- Fischer U, SchÃ¤uble N, SchÃ¼tz S, Altvater M, Chang Y, Faza M, et al. A non-canonical mechanism for Crm1-export cargo complex assembly. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..This mechanism could represent one solution to the paradox of weak binding events underlying rapid Crm1-mediated export. ..
- Kunzler M, Gerstberger T, Stutz F, Bischoff F, Hurt E. Yeast Ran-binding protein 1 (Yrb1) shuttles between the nucleus and cytoplasm and is exported from the nucleus via a CRM1 (XPO1)-dependent pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4295-308 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that ongoing nuclear import and export is an important feature of Yrb1 function in vivo. ..
- Hayashi N, Murakami S, Tsurusaki S, Nagaura Z, Oki M, Nishitani H, et al. Temperature-sensitive defects of the GSP1gene, yeast Ran homologue, activate the Tel1-dependent pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;353:330-6 pubmed..We found that gsp1, a temperature-sensitive mutant of GSP1, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ran homologue, suppressed the hydroxyurea (HU) ..
- Mirallas O, Ballega E, Samper Martín B, García Márquez S, Carballar R, Ricco N, et al. Intertwined control of the cell cycle and nucleocytoplasmic transport by the cyclin-dependent kinase Pho85 and RanGTPase Gsp1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiol Res. 2018;206:168-176 pubmed publisher..report on findings that indicate a biochemical connection between the cell cycle regulator CDK Pho85 and Ran-GTPase Gsp1, an essential nucleocytoplasmic transport component...
- Greiner M, Caesar S, Schlenstedt G. The histones H2A/H2B and H3/H4 are imported into the yeast nucleus by different mechanisms. Eur J Cell Biol. 2004;83:511-20 pubmed..We conclude from our in vivo and in vitro experiments that import of the essential histones is mediated mainly by the essential importin Pse1p, while the non-essential Kap114p functions in a parallel import pathway for H2A and H2B. ..
- Seedorf M, Damelin M, Kahana J, Taura T, Silver P. Interactions between a nuclear transporter and a subset of nuclear pore complex proteins depend on Ran GTPase. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:1547-57 pubmed..These data indicate that transport receptors such as Pse1p interact in a Ran-dependent manner with certain nucleoporins. These nucleoporins may represent major docking sites for Pse1p as it moves in or out of the nucleus via the NPC. ..
- Noguchi E, Hayashi N, Azuma Y, Seki T, Nakamura M, Nakashima N, et al. Dis3, implicated in mitotic control, binds directly to Ran and enhances the GEF activity of RCC1. EMBO J. 1996;15:5595-605 pubmed..Although Dis3sc has no homology to RanBP1, it bound directly to Ran and the S.cerevisiae Ran homologue Cnr1, but not to the S.cerevisiae RCC1 homologue Srm1...
- McGuire A, Mangroo D. Cex1p is a novel cytoplasmic component of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae nuclear tRNA export machinery. EMBO J. 2007;26:288-300 pubmed..cerevisiae. They also suggest that Cex1p collects aminoacyl-tRNAs from the nuclear export receptors at the cytoplasmic side of the nuclear pore complex, and transfers them to eEF-1A using a channelling mechanism. ..