Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: GLR1
Description: glutathione-disulfide reductase GLR1
Alias: LPG17, glutathione-disulfide reductase GLR1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Yu J, Zhou C. Crystal structure of glutathione reductase Glr1 from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proteins. 2007;68:972-9 pubmedYeast glutathione (GSH) reductase Glr1 is a dimeric flavo-oxidoreductase involved in cytoplasmic and mitochondrial redox regulatory systems...
- Cardoso L, Ferreira S, Hermes Lima M. Reductive inactivation of yeast glutathione reductase by Fe(II) and NADPH. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2008;151:313-21 pubmed..According to this mechanism, GR is diverted from its normal redox cycling by the generation of an inactive reduced enzyme form in which both the FAD and thiol groups at the active site are likely in a reduced state. ..
- Trotter E, Grant C. Overlapping roles of the cytoplasmic and mitochondrial redox regulatory systems in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:392-400 pubmed..Since glutathione reductase (Glr1) has been shown to colocalize to the cytoplasm and mitochondria, we examined whether loss of GLR1 influences the ..
- Gostimskaya I, Grant C. Yeast mitochondrial glutathione is an essential antioxidant with mitochondrial thioredoxin providing a back-up system. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016;94:55-65 pubmed publisher..Here, we have tested the importance of mitochondrial glutathione in thiol-redox regulation. Glutathione reductase (Glr1) is an oxidoreductase which converts oxidized glutathione to its reduced form...
- Palle K, Pattarello L, van der Merwe M, Losasso C, Benedetti P, Bjornsti M. Disulfide cross-links reveal conserved features of DNA topoisomerase I architecture and a role for the N terminus in clamp closure. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27767-75 pubmed publisher..However, the composition of the divergent N-terminal/linker domains impacts Top1-clamp activity and stability in vivo. ..
- Pérez Sampietro M, Casas C, Herrero E. The AMPK family member Snf1 protects Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells upon glutathione oxidation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58283 pubmed publisher..type cells, and its hypersensitivity to the agent is rescued by overexpression of the glutathione reductase gene GLR1. In the presence of agents such as diethyl maleate or diamide, which cause alterations in glutathione redox ..
- Merwin J, Mustacich D, Muller E, Pearson G, Merrill G. Reporter gene transactivation by human p53 is inhibited in thioredoxin reductase null yeast by a mechanism associated with thioredoxin oxidation and independent of changes in the redox state of glutathione. Carcinogenesis. 2002;23:1609-15 pubmed..9-fold increase in total glutathione per mg extract protein. Highcopy expression of the GLR1 gene encoding glutathione reductase in Deltatrr1 yeast restored the GSSG:GSH ratio to wild-type levels, but did not ..
- Seefeldt T, Zhao Y, Chen W, Raza A, Carlson L, Herman J, et al. Characterization of a novel dithiocarbamate glutathione reductase inhibitor and its use as a tool to modulate intracellular glutathione. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:2729-37 pubmed publisher..In CV-1 cells, 2-AAPA (0.1 mm) produced 97% GR inhibition, 25% GSH reduction, and a 5-fold increase in GSSG in 20 min. The compound can be a useful tool in TRS-related research. ..
- Muller E. A glutathione reductase mutant of yeast accumulates high levels of oxidized glutathione and requires thioredoxin for growth. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1805-13 pubmed..Yeast mutants that lack glutathione reductase (glr1 delta) accumulate high levels of oxidized glutathione and have a twofold increase in total glutathione...