Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: GIS1
Description: histone demethylase GIS1
Alias: histone demethylase GIS1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Pedruzzi I, Bürckert N, Egger P, De Virgilio C. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ras/cAMP pathway controls post-diauxic shift element-dependent transcription through the zinc finger protein Gis1. EMBO J. 2000;19:2569-79 pubmed..Here, we show that the zinc finger protein Gis1 acts as a dosage-dependent suppressor of the rim15Delta defect in nutrient limitation-induced transcriptional ..
- Wei M, Fabrizio P, Hu J, Ge H, Cheng C, Li L, et al. Life span extension by calorie restriction depends on Rim15 and transcription factors downstream of Ras/PKA, Tor, and Sch9. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e13 pubmed publisher..Deletion of stress resistance transcription factors Gis1 and Msn2/4, which are positively regulated by Rim15, also caused a major although not complete reversion of the ..
- Bontron S, Jaquenoud M, Vaga S, Talarek N, Bodenmiller B, Aebersold R, et al. Yeast endosulfines control entry into quiescence and chronological life span by inhibiting protein phosphatase 2A. Cell Rep. 2013;3:16-22 pubmed publisher..The molecular elements linking Rim15 to distal readouts including the expression of Msn2/4- and Gis1-dependent genes involve the endosulfines Igo1/2...
- Zhang N, Wu J, Oliver S. Gis1 is required for transcriptional reprogramming of carbon metabolism and the stress response during transition into stationary phase in yeast. Microbiology. 2009;155:1690-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that the Gis1 transcription factor and the Rim15 kinase are responsible for the upregulation of many of these genes...
- Tu S, Bulloch E, Yang L, Ren C, Huang W, Hsu P, et al. Identification of histone demethylases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:14262-71 pubmed..cerevisiae. Furthermore, the methodology described here will be useful for identifying histone demethylases and their target sites in other organisms. ..
- Burtner C, Murakami C, Kennedy B, Kaeberlein M. A molecular mechanism of chronological aging in yeast. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:1256-70 pubmed..We conclude that acetic acid induced mortality is the primary mechanism of chronological aging in yeast under standard conditions. ..
- Lee P, Kim M, Paik S, Choi S, Cho B, Hahn J. Rim15-dependent activation of Hsf1 and Msn2/4 transcription factors by direct phosphorylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:3648-55 pubmed publisher..upon nutrient starvation via induction of genes whose expression depends on transcription factors Msn2, Msn4, and Gis1. Here, we demonstrate that Rim15 also induces expression of Hsf1 target genes upon glucose depletion by both ..
- Law M, Ciccaglione K. Fine-tuning of histone H3 Lys4 methylation during pseudohyphal differentiation by the CDK submodule of RNA polymerase II. Genetics. 2015;199:435-53 pubmed publisher..These studies implicate the CDK8 subcomplex in fine-tuning H3 Lys4 methylation levels during pseudohyphal differentiation. ..
- Tronnersjö S, Hanefalk C, Balciunas D, Hu G, Nordberg N, Murén E, et al. The jmjN and jmjC domains of the yeast zinc finger protein Gis1 interact with 19 proteins involved in transcription, sumoylation and DNA repair. Mol Genet Genomics. 2007;277:57-70 pubmed..Here we show that the jmjN and jmjC domains of the yeast zinc finger protein Gis1 interact in a two-hybrid system with 19 yeast proteins that include the RecQ helicase Sgs1, the silencing factors ..
- Nordberg N, Olsson I, Carlsson M, Hu G, Orzechowski Westholm J, Ronne H. The histone demethylase activity of Rph1 is not essential for its role in the transcriptional response to nutrient signaling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e95078 pubmed publisherRph1 and Gis1 are two related yeast zinc finger proteins that function as downstream effectors in the Ras/PKA, TOR and Sch9 nutrient signaling pathways...
- Sein H, VÃ¤rv S, Kristjuhan A. Distribution and maintenance of histone H3 lysine 36 trimethylation in transcribed locus. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120200 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that both replication-dependent exchange of nucleosomes and the activity of histone demethylases Rph1, Jhd1 and Gis1 contribute to the turnover of H3K36 methylation upon shut-down of transcription.
- Welch A, Gibney P, Botstein D, Koshland D. TOR and RAS pathways regulate desiccation tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:115-28 pubmed publisher..We suggest that reduction of a specific intermediate in 60S biogenesis, resulting from conditions such as heat shock and nutrient deprivation, increases desiccation tolerance. ..
- Zhang N, Quan Z, Rash B, Oliver S. Synergistic effects of TOR and proteasome pathways on the yeast transcriptome and cell growth. Open Biol. 2013;3:120137 pubmed publisher..both the Yak1 and Rim15 kinases to modulate starvation-specific gene expression mediated by the Msn2/4 and Gis1 transcription factors...
- Mirisola M, Taormina G, Fabrizio P, Wei M, Hu J, Longo V. Serine- and threonine/valine-dependent activation of PDK and Tor orthologs converge on Sch9 to promote aging. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004113 pubmed publisher..Because of the conserved pro-aging role of nutrient and growth signaling pathways in higher eukaryotes, these results raise the possibility that similar mechanisms contribute to aging in mammals...
- Reddi A, Culotta V. Regulation of manganese antioxidants by nutrient sensing pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2011;189:1261-70 pubmed publisher..Our observed roles for nutrient and stress response kinases and transcription factors in regulating the Mn antioxidant underscore its physiological importance in aerobic fitness. ..
- Quan Z, Cao L, Tang Y, Yan Y, Oliver S, Zhang N. The Yeast GSK-3 Homologue Mck1 Is a Key Controller of Quiescence Entry and Chronological Lifespan. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005282 pubmed publisher..One involves the negative regulation of the effectors of G0 entry such as Mck1 and Rim15, while the other likely to involve its functions in promoting respiratory growth, a phenotype also contributed by Mck1 and Rim15. ..