Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: FAA1
Description: long-chain fatty acid-CoA ligase FAA1
Alias: long-chain fatty acid-CoA ligase FAA1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Knoll L, Johnson D, Gordon J. Complementation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains containing fatty acid activation gene (FAA) deletions with a mammalian acyl-CoA synthetase. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:10861-7 pubmed..The functionally interchangeable FAA1 and FAA4 genes are responsible for activation of these imported fatty acids...
- Athenstaedt K, Zweytick D, Jandrositz A, Kohlwein S, Daum G. Identification and characterization of major lipid particle proteins of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6441-8 pubmed..Strains with YBR177c, YMR313c, and YKL140w deleted exhibited phospholipid and/or neutral lipid patterns that were different from the wild-type strain and thus may be further candidate ORFs involved in yeast lipid metabolism. ..
- Faergeman N, Black P, Zhao X, Knudsen J, DiRusso C. The Acyl-CoA synthetases encoded within FAA1 and FAA4 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae function as components of the fatty acid transport system linking import, activation, and intracellular Utilization. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:37051-9 pubmed..acid, long-chain fatty acid transport was shown to be severely restricted in a faa1 Delta faa4 Delta strain...
- Nakahara K, Ohkuni A, Kitamura T, Abe K, Naganuma T, Ohno Y, et al. The Sjögren-Larsson syndrome gene encodes a hexadecenal dehydrogenase of the sphingosine 1-phosphate degradation pathway. Mol Cell. 2012;46:461-71 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrate that yeast Faa1 and Faa4 and mammalian ACSL family members are acyl-CoA synthetases involved in the sphingolipid-to-glycerolipid ..
- Choi J, Martin C. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae FAT1 gene encodes an acyl-CoA synthetase that is required for maintenance of very long chain fatty acid levels. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:4671-83 pubmed..Simultaneous disruption of FAA1 and FAA4, which encode long chain (C14-C18) fatty acyl-CoA synthetases, effectively blocks the import of long chain ..
- Chen L, Zhang J, Lee J, Chen W. Enhancement of free fatty acid production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by control of fatty acyl-CoA metabolism. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2014;98:6739-50 pubmed publisher..For this purpose, firstly, haploid S. cerevisiae double deletion strain ?faa1?faa4 was constructed, in which the genes FAA1 and FAA4 encoding two acyl-CoA synthetases were deleted...
- Narita T, Naganuma T, Sase Y, Kihara A. Long-chain bases of sphingolipids are transported into cells via the acyl-CoA synthetases. Sci Rep. 2016;6:25469 pubmed publisher..Here, we found that the yeast acyl-CoA synthetases (ACSs) Faa1 and Faa4 are redundantly involved in LCB uptake...
- Darwiche R, Mène Saffrané L, Gfeller D, Asojo O, Schneiter R. The pathogen-related yeast protein Pry1, a member of the CAP protein superfamily, is a fatty acid-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:8304-8314 pubmed publisher..i>in vitro, and its function was essential for fatty acid export in cells lacking the acyl-CoA synthetases Faa1 and Faa4...
- Zou Z, Tong F, Faergeman N, Børsting C, Black P, DiRusso C. Vectorial acylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Fat1p and fatty acyl-CoA synthetase are interacting components of a fatty acid import complex. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16414-22 pubmed..Multicopy extragenic suppressors were selected in strains carrying deletions in FAA1 and FAA4 or FAA1 and FAT1...
- Scharnewski M, Pongdontri P, Mora G, Hoppert M, Fulda M. Mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae deficient in acyl-CoA synthetases secrete fatty acids due to interrupted fatty acid recycling. FEBS J. 2008;275:2765-78 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose the recycling of endogenous fatty acids generated in the course of lipid remodelling as a major task of both acyl-CoA synthetases Faa1p and Faa4p. ..
- Jacquier N, Schneiter R. Ypk1, the yeast orthologue of the human serum- and glucocorticoid-induced kinase, is required for efficient uptake of fatty acids. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2218-27 pubmed publisher..Consistent with such a proposition, mutations that block early steps of endocytosis display reduced levels of fatty-acid uptake. ..