Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ELP2
Description: Elongator subunit ELP2
Alias: KTI3, TOT2, Elongator subunit ELP2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Jablonowski D, Fichtner L, Stark M, Schaffrath R. The yeast elongator histone acetylase requires Sit4-dependent dephosphorylation for toxin-target capacity. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1459-69 pubmed..Together with the findings that sit4Delta and totDelta cells phenocopy protection against zymocin and the ceramide-induced G1 block, Sit4 is functionally linked to Elongator in cell cycle events targetable by antizymotics. ..
- Fichtner L, Frohloff F, Bürkner K, Larsen M, Breunig K, Schaffrath R. Molecular analysis of KTI12/TOT4, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene required for Kluyveromyces lactis zymocin action. Mol Microbiol. 2002;43:783-91 pubmed..Consistent with a regulatory role, the presence of a potential P-loop motif conserved between yeast and human TOT4 homologues suggests capability of ATP or GTP binding and P-loop deletion renders Tot4p biologically inactive. ..
- Krogan N, Greenblatt J. Characterization of a six-subunit holo-elongator complex required for the regulated expression of a group of genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:8203-12 pubmed..with elongating RNA polymerase II in Saccharomyces cerevisiae was originally reported to have three subunits, Elp1, Elp2, and Elp3...
- Frohloff F, Fichtner L, Jablonowski D, Breunig K, Schaffrath R. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Elongator mutations confer resistance to the Kluyveromyces lactis zymocin. EMBO J. 2001;20:1993-2003 pubmed..Of these we identified the TOT1, TOT2 and TOT3 genes (isoallelic with ELP1, ELP2 and ELP3, respectively) coding for the histone acetyltransferase (HAT)-..
- Wittschieben B, Fellows J, Du W, Stillman D, Svejstrup J. Overlapping roles for the histone acetyltransferase activities of SAGA and elongator in vivo. EMBO J. 2000;19:3060-8 pubmed..Our results demonstrate functional redundancy among transcription-associated HAT and deacetylase activities, and indicate the importance of a fine-tuned acetylation-deacetylation balance during transcription in vivo. ..
- Winkler G, Kristjuhan A, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Svejstrup J. Elongator is a histone H3 and H4 acetyltransferase important for normal histone acetylation levels in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:3517-22 pubmed..By using chromatin immunoprecipitation, we show that the levels of multiply acetylated histone H3 and H4 in chromatin are decreased in vivo in yeast cells lacking ELP3. ..
- Xu H, Bygdell J, Wingsle G, BystrÃ¶m A. Yeast Elongator protein Elp1p does not undergo proteolytic processing in exponentially growing cells. Microbiologyopen. 2015;4:867-78 pubmed publisher..Consequently, our results indicate that N-terminal truncation of Elp1p is not likely to regulate Elongator complex activity. ..
- Setiaputra D, Cheng D, Lu S, Hansen J, Dalwadi U, Lam C, et al. Molecular architecture of the yeast Elongator complex reveals an unexpected asymmetric subunit arrangement. EMBO Rep. 2017;18:280-291 pubmed publisher..This work provides the first structural insights into Elongator and a framework to understand the molecular basis of its multifunctionality. ..
- Mehlgarten C, Prochaska H, Hammermeister A, Abdel Fattah W, Wagner M, Krutyhołowa R, et al. Use of a Yeast tRNase Killer Toxin to Diagnose Kti12 Motifs Required for tRNA Modification by Elongator. Toxins (Basel). 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Thus, tRNA modification by Elongator appears to require physical contact with Kti12, and our preliminary data suggest that metabolic signals may affect proper communication between them. ..
- Zabel R, Bär C, Mehlgarten C, Schaffrath R. Yeast alpha-tubulin suppressor Ats1/Kti13 relates to the Elongator complex and interacts with Elongator partner protein Kti11. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:175-87 pubmed publisher..In sum, our data suggest that Kti13 and Kti11 support Elongator functions and that they both share Elongator-independent role(s) that are important for cell viability. ..
- Laribee R, Krogan N, Xiao T, Shibata Y, Hughes T, Greenblatt J, et al. BUR kinase selectively regulates H3 K4 trimethylation and H2B ubiquitylation through recruitment of the PAF elongation complex. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1487-93 pubmed..Our data reveal a novel function for the BUR kinase in transcriptional regulation through the selective control of histone modifications. ..
- Goehring A, Rivers D, Sprague G. Urmylation: a ubiquitin-like pathway that functions during invasive growth and budding in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4329-41 pubmed..Loss of five genes that are also essential in a cla4Delta strain, NCS2, NCS6, ELP2, ELP6, and URE2, affect the level of at least one Urm1p conjugate...
- Uthman S, BÃ¤r C, Scheidt V, Liu S, Ten Have S, Giorgini F, et al. The amidation step of diphthamide biosynthesis in yeast requires DPH6, a gene identified through mining the DPH1-DPH5 interaction network. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003334 pubmed publisher..Through identification of Dph6 and Dph7 as components required for the amidation step of the diphthamide pathway, our work paves the way for a detailed mechanistic understanding of diphthamide formation. ..
- Dong C, Lin Z, Diao W, Li D, Chu X, Wang Z, et al. The Elp2 subunit is essential for elongator complex assembly and functional regulation. Structure. 2015;23:1078-86 pubmed publisher..Here, we present the crystal structure of the Elp2 subunit revealing two seven-bladed WD40 Î² propellers, and show by structure-guided mutational analyses that the ..
- Li Y, Takagi Y, Jiang Y, Tokunaga M, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. A multiprotein complex that interacts with RNA polymerase II elongator. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:29628-31 pubmed..Preferential interaction of the Hap complex with free rather than RNA polymerase II-associated Elongator suggests a role in the regulation of Elongator activity. ..
- Daudén M, Kosinski J, Kolaj Robin O, Desfosses A, Ori A, Faux C, et al. Architecture of the yeast Elongator complex. EMBO Rep. 2017;18:264-279 pubmed publisher..Elp123 sub-complex solved by an integrative structure determination approach showing that two copies of the Elp1, Elp2, and Elp3 subunits form a two-lobed scaffold, which binds Elp456 asymmetrically...
- Fellows J, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Svejstrup J. The Elp2 subunit of elongator and elongating RNA polymerase II holoenzyme is a WD40 repeat protein. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:12896-9 pubmedA novel yeast gene, ELP2, is shown to encode the 90-kDa subunit of the Elongator complex and elongating RNA polymerase II holoenzyme...
- Schäfer T, Strauss D, Petfalski E, Tollervey D, Hurt E. The path from nucleolar 90S to cytoplasmic 40S pre-ribosomes. EMBO J. 2003;22:1370-80 pubmed..Our data provide an initial biochemical map of the pre-40S ribosomal subunit on its path from the nucleolus to the cytoplasm. This pathway involves fewer changes in composition than seen during 60S biogenesis. ..
- Fichtner L, Frohloff F, Jablonowski D, Stark M, Schaffrath R. Protein interactions within Saccharomyces cerevisiae Elongator, a complex essential for Kluyveromyces lactis zymocicity. Mol Microbiol. 2002;45:817-26 pubmed..Besides its role as a HAT, Tot3p assists subunit communication within Elongator by mediating Tot2-Tot4, Tot2-Tot5, Tot2-Tot1 and Tot4-Tot5 protein-protein interactions...
- Lin Z, Dong M, Zhang Y, Lee E, Lin H. Cbr1 is a Dph3 reductase required for the tRNA wobble uridine modification. Nat Chem Biol. 2016;12:995-997 pubmed publisher..The NADH- and Cbr1-dependent reduction of Dph3 may provide a regulatory linkage between cellular metabolic state and protein translation. ..
- Gibney P, Fries T, Bailer S, Morano K. Rtr1 is the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homolog of a novel family of RNA polymerase II-binding proteins. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:938-48 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal a role for members of the RTR1/RPAP2 family as regulators of core RNAPII function. ..
- Abdullah U, Cullen P. The tRNA modification complex elongator regulates the Cdc42-dependent mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway that controls filamentous growth in yeast. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:1362-72 pubmed publisher..Because protein translation provides a rough metric of cellular nutritional status, elongator may convey nutritional information to the filamentous growth pathway at the level of MSB2 expression. ..
- Xue Y, Kowalska A, Grabowska K, Przybyt K, Cichewicz M, Del Rosario B, et al. Histone chaperones Nap1 and Vps75 regulate histone acetylation during transcription elongation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:1645-56 pubmed publisher..This work sheds further light on the importance of histone chaperones as general regulators of transcription elongation. ..