Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ELO3
Description: fatty acid elongase ELO3
Alias: APA1, SRE1, SUR4, VBM1, fatty acid elongase ELO3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Loukin S, Zhou X, Kung C, Saimi Y. A genome-wide survey suggests an osmoprotective role for vacuolar Ca2+ release in cell wall-compromised yeast. FASEB J. 2008;22:2405-15 pubmed publisher..It appears that stress on the cell wall induces Ca(2+) accumulation, adaptively anticipating the need in defense or repair against future stress, including osmotic stress. ..
- Shah Alam Bhuiyan M, Eckstein J, Barbuch R, Bard M. Synthetically lethal interactions involving loss of the yeast ERG24: the sterol C-14 reductase gene. Lipids. 2007;42:69-76 pubmed..The erg2erg24 double mutant can be suppressed by mutations in the sphingolipid gene ELO3 but not ELO2. Suppression occurs on rich medium but not on synthetic complete medium...
- Tabuchi M, Audhya A, Parsons A, Boone C, Emr S. The phosphatidylinositol 4,5-biphosphate and TORC2 binding proteins Slm1 and Slm2 function in sphingolipid regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5861-75 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that Slm1 and Slm2 define a molecular link between phosphoinositide and sphingolipid signaling and thereby regulate actin cytoskeleton organization. ..
- Tvrdik P, Westerberg R, Silve S, Asadi A, Jakobsson A, Cannon B, et al. Role of a new mammalian gene family in the biosynthesis of very long chain fatty acids and sphingolipids. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:707-18 pubmed..By complementing the homologous yeast mutants, we found that Ssc1 could rescue normal sphingolipid synthesis in the sur4/elo3 mutant lacking the ability to synthesize cerotic acid (C(26:0))...
- Balguerie A, Bagnat M, Bonneu M, Aigle M, Breton A. Rvs161p and sphingolipids are required for actin repolarization following salt stress. Eukaryot Cell. 2002;1:1021-31 pubmed..the rvs161delta-related salt sensitivity all occurred in genes required for sphingolipid biosynthesis: FEN1, SUR4, SUR2, SUR1, and IPT1...
- Kobayashi S, Nagiec M. Ceramide/long-chain base phosphate rheostat in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: regulation of ceramide synthesis by Elo3p and Cka2p. Eukaryot Cell. 2003;2:284-94 pubmed..In addition to acquiring expected mutants lacking the LCBP lyase, the screen revealed elo3 (sur4) mutants that were defective in fatty acid elongation and cka2 mutants lacking the alpha' subunit of the ..
- Zimmermann C, Santos A, Gable K, Epstein S, Gururaj C, Chymkowitch P, et al. TORC1 inhibits GSK3-mediated Elo2 phosphorylation to regulate very long chain fatty acid synthesis and autophagy. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1036-46 pubmed publisher..Together, our data reveal a function for TORC1 and GSK3 in the regulation of VLCFA synthesis that has important implications for autophagy and cell homeostasis. ..
- Obara K, Kojima R, Kihara A. Effects on vesicular transport pathways at the late endosome in cells with limited very long-chain fatty acids. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:831-42 pubmed publisher..When the vps21? mutation was introduced into a deletion mutant of the SUR4 gene, which encodes a VLCFA elongase, a synthetic growth defect was observed...
- Olson D, FrÃ¶hlich F, Christiano R, Hannibal Bach H, Ejsing C, Walther T. Rom2-dependent phosphorylation of Elo2 controls the abundance of very long-chain fatty acids. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:4238-47 pubmed publisher..Our data identify a regulatory mechanism for coordinating VLCFA synthesis with sphingolipid metabolism and link signal transduction pathways from the plasma membrane to the regulation of lipids for membrane homeostasis. ..
- Han G, Gable K, Kohlwein S, Beaudoin F, Napier J, Dunn T. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae YBR159w gene encodes the 3-ketoreductase of the microsomal fatty acid elongase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35440-9 pubmed..By disrupting the orthologs of Ybr159w in the ybr159Delta mutant we found that the ybr159Deltaayr1Delta double mutant was inviable, suggesting that Ayr1p is responsible for the residual 3-ketoreductase activity. ..
- Lone M, Atkinson A, Hodge C, Cottier S, MartÃnez MontaÃ±Ã©s F, Maithel S, et al. Yeast Integral Membrane Proteins Apq12, Brl1, and Brr6 Form a Complex Important for Regulation of Membrane Homeostasis and Nuclear Pore Complex Biogenesis. Eukaryot Cell. 2015;14:1217-27 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the defects in nuclear pore complex biogenesis and mRNA export seen in these mutants are consequences of defects in maintaining the biophysical properties of the NE. ..
- Choi J, Martin C. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae FAT1 gene encodes an acyl-CoA synthetase that is required for maintenance of very long chain fatty acid levels. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:4671-83 pubmed..Simultaneous disruption of FAA1 and FAA4, which encode long chain (C14-C18) fatty acyl-CoA synthetases, effectively blocks the import of long chain saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. ..
- Morgan J, McCourt P, Rankin L, Swain E, Rice L, Nickels J. Altering sphingolipid metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells lacking the amphiphysin ortholog Rvs161 reinitiates sugar transporter endocytosis. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:779-89 pubmed publisher..Altering sphingolipid metabolism by deleting the very-long-chain fatty acid elongase SUR4 reinitiates transporter endocytosis in rvs161 and rvs161 endo(-) cells...
- Toume M, Tani M. Change in activity of serine palmitoyltransferase affects sensitivity to syringomycin E in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2014;358:64-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that an increase in sphingolipid biosynthesis caused by a change in the activity of serine palmitoyltransferase causes resistance to syringomycin E. ..
- Copic A, Latham C, Horlbeck M, D Arcangelo J, Miller E. ER cargo properties specify a requirement for COPII coat rigidity mediated by Sec13p. Science. 2012;335:1359-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sec13p may rigidify the COPII cage and increase its membrane-bending capacity; this function could be bypassed when a bst mutation renders the membrane more deformable. ..
- Lindahl L, Santos A, Olsson H, Olsson L, Bettiga M. Membrane engineering of S. cerevisiae targeting sphingolipid metabolism. Sci Rep. 2017;7:41868 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of ELO3, involved in fatty acid elongation, and AUR1, which catalyses the formation of complex sphingolipids, had no effect ..
- Bailly Bechet M, Borgs C, Braunstein A, Chayes J, Dagkessamanskaia A, Francois J, et al. Finding undetected protein associations in cell signaling by belief propagation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:882-7 pubmed publisher..The algorithm we present is specially suited for very large datasets, can run in parallel, and can be adapted to other problems in systems biology. On renowned benchmarks it outperforms other algorithms in the field. ..
- Hodge C, Choudhary V, Wolyniak M, Scarcelli J, Schneiter R, Cole C. Integral membrane proteins Brr6 and Apq12 link assembly of the nuclear pore complex to lipid homeostasis in the endoplasmic reticulum. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:141-51 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Brr6 has an essential function in regulating lipid homeostasis in the NE-ER, thereby impacting NPC formation and nucleocytoplasmic transport. ..
- Eisenkolb M, Zenzmaier C, Leitner E, Schneiter R. A specific structural requirement for ergosterol in long-chain fatty acid synthesis mutants important for maintaining raft domains in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:4414-28 pubmed..of the C26-substitution on this lipid, we performed a screen for mutants that are synthetically lethal with ELO3. Elo3p is a component of the ER-associated fatty acid elongase and is required for the final elongation cycle to ..
- Gurunathan S, Marash M, Weinberger A, Gerst J. t-SNARE phosphorylation regulates endocytosis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1594-607 pubmed..These results suggest that endocytosis is also modulated by t-SNARE phosphorylation in vivo. ..
- Valachovic M, Wilcox L, Sturley S, Bard M. A mutation in sphingolipid synthesis suppresses defects in yeast ergosterol metabolism. Lipids. 2004;39:747-52 pubmed..The morpholine-resistant phenotype of the suppressor was used to identify the suppressor as a mutation in the ELO3 gene...
- Germann M, Swain E, Bergman L, Nickels J. Characterizing the sphingolipid signaling pathway that remediates defects associated with loss of the yeast amphiphysin-like orthologs, Rvs161p and Rvs167p. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4270-8 pubmed..studies showed that rvs defects could be suppressed by changes in sphingolipid metabolism brought about by deleting SUR4 (Desfarges, L., Durrens, P., Juguelin, H., Cassagne, C., Bonneu, M., and Aigle, M. (1993) Yeast 9, 267-277)...
- Rossler H, Rieck C, Delong T, Hoja U, Schweizer E. Functional differentiation and selective inactivation of multiple Saccharomyces cerevisiae genes involved in very-long-chain fatty acid synthesis. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:290-8 pubmed..Elongases I, II and III are specifically inactivated in, respectively, elo1, elo2 and elo3 mutants. Elongases II and III share the same 3-ketoacyl reductase, which is encoded by the YBR159w gene...
- Kohlwein S, Eder S, Oh C, Martin C, Gable K, Bacikova D, et al. Tsc13p is required for fatty acid elongation and localizes to a novel structure at the nuclear-vacuolar interface in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:109-25 pubmed..These phenotypes are exacerbated by the deletion of either the ELO2 or ELO3 gene, both of which have previously been shown to be required for VLCFA synthesis...