Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ELO2
Description: fatty acid elongase ELO2
Alias: FEN1, GNS1, VBM2, fatty acid elongase ELO2
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Olson D, FrÃ¶hlich F, Christiano R, Hannibal Bach H, Ejsing C, Walther T. Rom2-dependent phosphorylation of Elo2 controls the abundance of very long-chain fatty acids. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:4238-47 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Elo2, a key enzyme of VLCFA synthesis, is controlled by signaling of the guanine nucleotide exchange factor Rom2, ..
- Ragni E, Piberger H, Neupert C, García Cantalejo J, Popolo L, Arroyo J, et al. The genetic interaction network of CCW12, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene required for cell wall integrity during budding and formation of mating projections. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:107 pubmed publisher..Among those are PFD1, WHI3, SRN2, PAC10, FEN1 and YDR417C, which have not been related to cell wall integrity before...
- Balguerie A, Bagnat M, Bonneu M, Aigle M, Breton A. Rvs161p and sphingolipids are required for actin repolarization following salt stress. Eukaryot Cell. 2002;1:1021-31 pubmed..suppressing the rvs161delta-related salt sensitivity all occurred in genes required for sphingolipid biosynthesis: FEN1, SUR4, SUR2, SUR1, and IPT1...
- Kohlwein S, Eder S, Oh C, Martin C, Gable K, Bacikova D, et al. Tsc13p is required for fatty acid elongation and localizes to a novel structure at the nuclear-vacuolar interface in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:109-25 pubmed..These phenotypes are exacerbated by the deletion of either the ELO2 or ELO3 gene, both of which have previously been shown to be required for VLCFA synthesis...
- Daquinag A, Fadri M, Jung S, Qin J, Kunz J. The yeast PH domain proteins Slm1 and Slm2 are targets of sphingolipid signaling during the response to heat stress. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:633-50 pubmed
- Singh P, Zheng L, Chavez V, Qiu J, Shen B. Concerted action of exonuclease and Gap-dependent endonuclease activities of FEN-1 contributes to the resolution of triplet repeat sequences (CTG)n- and (GAA)n-derived secondary structures formed during maturation of Okazaki fragments. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3465-77 pubmed..However, the absence of Fen1 in yeast results in a significant increase in trinucleotide repeat (TNR) expansion...
- Gomes X, Burgers P. Two modes of FEN1 binding to PCNA regulated by DNA. EMBO J. 2000;19:3811-21 pubmedThe FEN1 nuclease functions during Okazaki fragment maturation in the eukaryotic cell...
- Han G, Gable K, Kohlwein S, Beaudoin F, Napier J, Dunn T. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae YBR159w gene encodes the 3-ketoreductase of the microsomal fatty acid elongase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35440-9 pubmed..By disrupting the orthologs of Ybr159w in the ybr159Delta mutant we found that the ybr159Deltaayr1Delta double mutant was inviable, suggesting that Ayr1p is responsible for the residual 3-ketoreductase activity. ..
- Tseng H, Tomkinson A. Processing and joining of DNA ends coordinated by interactions among Dnl4/Lif1, Pol4, and FEN-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47580-8 pubmed
- Obara K, Kojima R, Kihara A. Effects on vesicular transport pathways at the late endosome in cells with limited very long-chain fatty acids. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:831-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that, of all the intracellular trafficking pathways, requirement of VLCFAs is especially high in the endosomal pathways. ..
- Tvrdik P, Westerberg R, Silve S, Asadi A, Jakobsson A, Cannon B, et al. Role of a new mammalian gene family in the biosynthesis of very long chain fatty acids and sphingolipids. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:707-18 pubmed..Similarly, Cig30 reverted the phenotype of the fen1/elo2 mutant that has reduced levels of fatty acids in the C(20)-C(24) range...
- Choi J, Martin C. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae FAT1 gene encodes an acyl-CoA synthetase that is required for maintenance of very long chain fatty acid levels. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:4671-83 pubmed..Simultaneous disruption of FAA1 and FAA4, which encode long chain (C14-C18) fatty acyl-CoA synthetases, effectively blocks the import of long chain saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. ..
- Jain S, Stanford N, Bhagwat N, Seiler B, Costanzo M, Boone C, et al. Identification of a novel lysophospholipid acyltransferase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30562-9 pubmed..Therefore, Lpt1p, a member of the membrane-bound o-acyltransferase gene family, seems to work in conjunction with Slc1 to mediate the incorporation of unsaturated acyl chains into the sn-2 position of phospholipids. ..
- Rossler H, Rieck C, Delong T, Hoja U, Schweizer E. Functional differentiation and selective inactivation of multiple Saccharomyces cerevisiae genes involved in very-long-chain fatty acid synthesis. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:290-8 pubmed..Elongases I, II and III are specifically inactivated in, respectively, elo1, elo2 and elo3 mutants. Elongases II and III share the same 3-ketoacyl reductase, which is encoded by the YBR159w gene...
- Lone M, Atkinson A, Hodge C, Cottier S, MartÃnez MontaÃ±Ã©s F, Maithel S, et al. Yeast Integral Membrane Proteins Apq12, Brl1, and Brr6 Form a Complex Important for Regulation of Membrane Homeostasis and Nuclear Pore Complex Biogenesis. Eukaryot Cell. 2015;14:1217-27 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the defects in nuclear pore complex biogenesis and mRNA export seen in these mutants are consequences of defects in maintaining the biophysical properties of the NE. ..
- Bailly Bechet M, Borgs C, Braunstein A, Chayes J, Dagkessamanskaia A, Francois J, et al. Finding undetected protein associations in cell signaling by belief propagation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:882-7 pubmed publisher..The algorithm we present is specially suited for very large datasets, can run in parallel, and can be adapted to other problems in systems biology. On renowned benchmarks it outperforms other algorithms in the field. ..
- Copic A, Latham C, Horlbeck M, D Arcangelo J, Miller E. ER cargo properties specify a requirement for COPII coat rigidity mediated by Sec13p. Science. 2012;335:1359-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sec13p may rigidify the COPII cage and increase its membrane-bending capacity; this function could be bypassed when a bst mutation renders the membrane more deformable. ..
- Zimmermann C, Santos A, Gable K, Epstein S, Gururaj C, Chymkowitch P, et al. TORC1 inhibits GSK3-mediated Elo2 phosphorylation to regulate very long chain fatty acid synthesis and autophagy. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1036-46 pubmed publisher..study was to identify mechanisms that regulate the rate of VLCFA synthesis, and we discovered that the fatty acid elongase Elo2 is regulated by phosphorylation...