Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ELM1
Description: serine/threonine protein kinase ELM1
Alias: LDB9, serine/threonine protein kinase ELM1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Blacketer M, Madaule P, Myers A. Mutational analysis of morphologic differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1995;140:1259-75 pubmed..Thus, a subset of the ELM genes are likely to affect control or execution of a defined morphologic differentiation pathway in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Casamayor A, Serrano R, Platara M, Casado C, Ruiz A, Arino J. The role of the Snf1 kinase in the adaptive response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to alkaline pH stress. Biochem J. 2012;444:39-49 pubmed publisher..Lack of Elm1, one of the three upstream Snf1 kinases (Tos3, Elm1 and Sak1), markedly increases alkali sensitivity, whereas the ..
- Bouquin N, Barral Y, Courbeyrette R, Blondel M, Snyder M, Mann C. Regulation of cytokinesis by the Elm1 protein kinase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 8):1435-45 pubmed..cerevisiae mutant unable to grow in a cdc28-1N background was isolated and shown to be affected in the ELM1 gene. Elm1 is a protein kinase, thought to be a negative regulator of pseudo-hyphal growth...
- Crutchley J, King K, Keaton M, Szkotnicki L, Orlando D, Zyla T, et al. Molecular dissection of the checkpoint kinase Hsl1p. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1926-36 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Hsl1p responds to alterations in septin organization, which themselves occur in response to the local geometry of the cell cortex. ..
- Ye T, Elbing K, Hohmann S. The pathway by which the yeast protein kinase Snf1p controls acquisition of sodium tolerance is different from that mediating glucose regulation. Microbiology. 2008;154:2814-26 pubmed publisher..Snf1p appears to be part of a wider functional network than previously anticipated and the full complexity of this network remains to be elucidated. ..
- Hong S, Leiper F, Woods A, Carling D, Carlson M. Activation of yeast Snf1 and mammalian AMP-activated protein kinase by upstream kinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:8839-43 pubmed..Thus, the identification of the yeast upstream kinases should facilitate identification of the corresponding, physiologically important mammalian upstream kinases. ..
- Rubenstein E, McCartney R, Schmidt M. Regulatory domains of Snf1-activating kinases determine pathway specificity. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:620-7 pubmedIn Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the Snf1 kinase can be activated by any one of three upstream kinases, Sak1, Tos3, or Elm1. All three Snf1-activating kinases contain serine/threonine kinase domains near their N termini and large C-terminal ..
- Pruyne D, Bretscher A. Polarization of cell growth in yeast. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 4):571-85 pubmed..The dynamic arrangement of targeting and recycling provides flexibility for the precise control of morphogenesis. ..
- Koehler C, Myers A. Serine-threonine protein kinase activity of Elm1p, a regulator of morphologic differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1997;408:109-14 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene ELM1 regulates morphologic differentiation and its nucleotide sequence predicts a novel protein kinase. Elm1p was expressed in yeast and insect cells and purified...
- Manderson E, Malleshaiah M, Michnick S. A novel genetic screen implicates Elm1 in the inactivation of the yeast transcription factor SBF. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1500 pubmed publisher..We showed that the serine-threonine kinase Elm1 plays a role in the inactivation of SBF and that phosphorylation of Elm1 by Cdc28 may be a mechanism to inactivate ..
- Sutherland C, Hawley S, McCartney R, Leech A, Stark M, Schmidt M, et al. Elm1p is one of three upstream kinases for the Saccharomyces cerevisiae SNF1 complex. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1299-305 pubmed..Deletion of ELM1 does not give an snf- phenotype...
- Traven A, Beilharz T, Lo T, Lueder F, Preiss T, Heierhorst J. The Ccr4-Pop2-NOT mRNA deadenylase contributes to septin organization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2009;182:955-66 pubmed publisher..mRNAs encoding regulators of septin assembly (Ccd42, Cdc24, Rga1, Rga2, Bem3, Gin4, Cla4, and Elm1) presented with short poly(A) tails at steady state in wild-type (wt) cells, suggesting their translation could be ..
- Pérez Sampietro M, Casas C, Herrero E. The AMPK family member Snf1 protects Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells upon glutathione oxidation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58283 pubmed publisher..Such protection involves the Elm1 kinase, which acts upstream of Snf1 to activate it...
- Buttery S, Kono K, Stokasimov E, Pellman D. Regulation of the formin Bnr1 by septins anda MARK/Par1-family septin-associated kinase. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4041-53 pubmed publisher..These data reveal novel regulatory links between the actin and septin cytoskeletons. ..
- Garrett J. The control of morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by Elm1 kinase is responsive to RAS/cAMP pathway activity and tryptophan availability. Mol Microbiol. 1997;26:809-20 pubmed..Constitutively elongated Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutants (elm) have been isolated; the ELM1 gene encodes a putative serine/threonine protein kinase...
- Hedbacker K, Hong S, Carlson M. Pak1 protein kinase regulates activation and nuclear localization of Snf1-Gal83 protein kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8255-63 pubmedThree kinases, Pak1, Tos3, and Elm1, activate Snf1 protein kinase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. This cascade is conserved in mammals, where LKB1 activates AMP-activated protein kinase...
- Elbing K, McCartney R, Schmidt M. Purification and characterization of the three Snf1-activating kinases of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2006;393:797-805 pubmed..Finally, we showed that the Snf1 kinase domain isolated from bacteria as a GST fusion protein can be activated in vitro and shows substrate specificity in the absence of its beta and gamma subunits. ..
- Enserink J, Smolka M, Zhou H, Kolodner R. Checkpoint proteins control morphogenetic events during DNA replication stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:729-41 pubmed..Thus, checkpoint proteins play an important role in coordinating morphogenetic events with DNA replication during replication stress. ..
- Torres M, Clement S, Cappell S, Dohlman H. Cell cycle-dependent phosphorylation and ubiquitination of a G protein alpha subunit. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:20208-16 pubmed publisher..screened 109 gene deletion strains representing the non-essential yeast kinome and identified a single kinase gene, ELM1, as necessary and sufficient for Gpa1 phosphorylation...
- Kang H, Tsygankov D, Lew D. Sensing a bud in the yeast morphogenesis checkpoint: a role for Elm1. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1764-75 pubmed publisher..show that recruitment of Hsl7 to the septin ring depends on a combination of two septin-binding kinases: Hsl1 and Elm1. We elucidate which domains of these kinases are needed and show that artificial targeting of those domains ..
- Shellhammer J, Morin Kensicki E, Matson J, Yin G, Isom D, Campbell S, et al. Amino acid metabolites that regulate G protein signaling during osmotic stress. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006829 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results define a new class of candidate second messengers that mediate cross talk between osmotic stress and GPCR signaling pathways. ..
- Mizuno T, Masuda Y, Irie K. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae AMPK, Snf1, Negatively Regulates the Hog1 MAPK Pathway in ER Stress Response. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005491 pubmed publisher..Thus, Snf1 plays pleiotropic roles in ER stress response by negatively regulating the Hog1 MAPK pathway and the UPR pathway. ..
- Moriya H, Isono K. Analysis of genetic interactions between DHH1, SSD1 and ELM1 indicates their involvement in cellular morphology determination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1999;15:481-96 pubmed..CDC28, ELM1 and SSD1 were thus found to be such candidates and we subsequently analysed their interactions...
- McCartney R, Rubenstein E, Schmidt M. Snf1 kinase complexes with different beta subunits display stress-dependent preferences for the three Snf1-activating kinases. Curr Genet. 2005;47:335-44 pubmedThree upstream kinases, Pak1, Tos3 and Elm1, are able to activate the Snf1 kinase...
- Woods A, Dickerson K, Heath R, Hong S, Momcilovic M, Johnstone S, et al. Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-beta acts upstream of AMP-activated protein kinase in mammalian cells. Cell Metab. 2005;2:21-33 pubmed..These results demonstrate that AMPK is regulated by at least two upstream kinases and suggest that AMPK may play a role in Ca(2+)-mediated signal transduction pathways. ..
- Souid A, Gao C, Wang L, Milgrom E, Shen W. ELM1 is required for multidrug resistance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;173:1919-37 pubmed..A genetic screen performed to identify regulators of multidrug resistance revealed that a truncation mutation in ELM1 (elm1-300) suppressed the multidrug resistance of pdr1-3...
- Orlova M, Ozcetin H, Barrett L, Kuchin S. Roles of the Snf1-activating kinases during nitrogen limitation and pseudohyphal differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:208-14 pubmed publisher..Thr210 phosphorylation can be performed by any of three Snf1-activating kinases: Sak1, Tos3, and Elm1. These kinases are redundant in that all three must be eliminated to confer snf1Delta-like growth defects on ..
- Gao X, Sperber L, Kane S, Tong Z, Tong A, Boone C, et al. Sequential and distinct roles of the cadherin domain-containing protein Axl2p in cell polarization in yeast cell cycle. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2542-60 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that Axl2p plays sequential and distinct roles in the regulation of cellular morphogenesis in yeast cell cycle. ..
- Backhaus K, Rippert D, Heilmann C, Sorgo A, de Koster C, Klis F, et al. Mutations in SNF1 complex genes affect yeast cell wall strength. Eur J Cell Biol. 2013;92:383-95 pubmed publisher..Epistasis analyses with mutants in cell wall integrity (CWI) signaling confirm that the SNF1 complex and the CWI pathway independently affect yeast cell integrity. ..
- Wang M, Collins R. A lysine deacetylase Hos3 is targeted to the bud neck and involved in the spindle position checkpoint. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:2720-34 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Hos3 facilitates cross-talk between the morphogenesis checkpoint and the SPOC as a component of the intricate monitoring of spindle orientation after mitotic entry and before commitment to mitotic exit. ..
- McMurray M, Stefan C, Wemmer M, Odorizzi G, Emr S, Thorner J. Genetic interactions with mutations affecting septin assembly reveal ESCRT functions in budding yeast cytokinesis. Biol Chem. 2011;392:699-712 pubmed publisher..We show here that mutations in ESCRT-encoding genes exacerbate the cytokinesis defects of cla4? or elm1? mutants, in which septin assembly is perturbed at an early stage in cell division, and alleviate phenotypes of ..
- Veide Vilg J, Dahal S, Ljungdahl T, Grøtli M, Tamás M. Application of a peptide-based assay to characterize inhibitors targeting protein kinases from yeast. Curr Genet. 2014;60:193-200 pubmed publisher..peptide-based method to assess adenosine triphosphate-competitive inhibitors that target the yeast kinases Hog1, Elm1 and Elm1-as...
- Patasi C, GodoÄÃkovÃ¡ J, MichlÃkovÃ¡ S, Nie Y, KÃ¡ÄerikovÃ¡ R, KvÃ¡lovÃ¡ K, et al. The role of Bni5 in the regulation of septin higher-order structure formation. Biol Chem. 2015;396:1325-37 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Bni5 appears to be a substrate of the Elm1 protein kinase in vitro...
- Merlini L, Fraschini R, Boettcher B, Barral Y, Lucchini G, Piatti S. Budding yeast dma proteins control septin dynamics and the spindle position checkpoint by promoting the recruitment of the Elm1 kinase to the bud neck. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002670 pubmed publisher..SPOC signalling requires the Kin4 protein kinase and the Kin4-regulating Elm1 kinase, which also controls septin dynamics...
- Kim J, Rose M. Stable Pseudohyphal Growth in Budding Yeast Induced by Synergism between Septin Defects and Altered MAP-kinase Signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005684 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings show that budding yeast can access a stable constitutive pseudohyphal growth state with very few genetic and regulatory changes. ..