Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: DSN1
Description: MIND complex subunit DSN1
Alias: MIND complex subunit DSN1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Westermann S, Cheeseman I, Anderson S, Yates J, Drubin D, Barnes G. Architecture of the budding yeast kinetochore reveals a conserved molecular core. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:215-22 pubmed..We propose that a molecular core consisting of CENP-A, -C, -H, and Ndc80/HEC has been conserved from yeast to humans to link centromeres to spindle microtubules. ..
- Hornung P, Maier M, Alushin G, Lander G, Nogales E, Westermann S. Molecular architecture and connectivity of the budding yeast Mtw1 kinetochore complex. J Mol Biol. 2011;405:548-59 pubmed publisher..Ndc80 and Ctf19 complexes do not compete for binding to the Mtw1 complex, suggesting that Mtw1 can bridge the microtubule-binding components of the kinetochore to the inner centromere. ..
- London N, Biggins S. Mad1 kinetochore recruitment by Mps1-mediated phosphorylation of Bub1 signals the spindle checkpoint. Genes Dev. 2014;28:140-52 pubmed publisher..The Mad1 interaction with Bub1 and kinetochores can be reconstituted in the presence of Mps1 and Mad2. Together, this work reveals a critical mechanism that determines kinetochore activation of the spindle checkpoint. ..
- Brito I, Monje Casas F, Amon A. The Lrs4-Csm1 monopolin complex associates with kinetochores during anaphase and is required for accurate chromosome segregation. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:3611-8 pubmed..Furthermore, we find that Lrs4 and Csm1 are important for chromosome segregation fidelity. Our results reveal a previously unanticipated function for Lrs4-Csm1 in mitotic chromosome segregation. ..
- Euskirchen G. Nnf1p, Dsn1p, Mtw1p, and Nsl1p: a new group of proteins important for chromosome segregation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2002;1:229-40 pubmed..I have identified the novel essential genes DSN1, DSN3, and NSL1 through genetic interactions with nnf1-17...
- Sarangapani K, Akiyoshi B, Duggan N, Biggins S, Asbury C. Phosphoregulation promotes release of kinetochores from dynamic microtubules via multiple mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:7282-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that, in vivo, Aurora B releases kinetochores via at least two mechanisms: by weakening the kinetochore-microtubule interface and also by destabilizing the kinetochore-attached microtubule tip...
- Samel A, Nguyen T, Ehrenhofer Murray A. Defects in methylation of arginine 37 on CENP-A/Cse4 are compensated by the ubiquitin ligase complex Ubr2/Mub1. FEMS Yeast Res. 2017;17: pubmed publisher..Ubr2 is known to regulate the levels of the MIND complex component Dsn1 via ubiquitination and proteasome-mediated degradation...
- Sarkar S, Shenoy R, Dalgaard J, Newnham L, Hoffmann E, Millar J, et al. Monopolin subunit Csm1 associates with MIND complex to establish monopolar attachment of sister kinetochores at meiosis I. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003610 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that interaction of monopolin subunit Csm1 with the N-terminal domain of MIND complex subunit Dsn1, is essential for both the association of monopolin with kinetochores and for monopolar attachment of ..
- Hewawasam G, Mattingly M, Venkatesh S, Zhang Y, Florens L, Workman J, et al. Phosphorylation by casein kinase 2 facilitates Psh1 protein-assisted degradation of Cse4 protein. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:29297-309 pubmed publisher..Collectively our data suggest that phosphorylation is crucial in Psh1-assisted control of Cse4 levels and that the Psh1-Cse4 association itself functions to prevent Cse4 misincorporation. ..
- Meyer R, Chuong H, Hild M, Hansen C, Kinter M, Dawson D. Ipl1/Aurora-B is necessary for kinetochore restructuring in meiosis I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2986-3000 pubmed publisher..This shedding is regulated by the conserved protein kinase Ipl1/Aurora-B and promotes the subsequent assembly of a kinetochore that will confer meiosis-specific segregation patterns on the chromosome. ..
- Hornung P, Troć P, Malvezzi F, Maier M, Demianova Z, Zimniak T, et al. A cooperative mechanism drives budding yeast kinetochore assembly downstream of CENP-A. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:509-24 pubmed publisher..This two-step mechanism may protect against inappropriate kinetochore assembly similar to rate-limiting nucleation steps used by cytoskeletal polymers. ..
- Deyter G, Hildebrand E, Barber A, Biggins S. Histone H4 Facilitates the Proteolysis of the Budding Yeast CENP-ACse4 Centromeric Histone Variant. Genetics. 2017;205:113-124 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal a key residue in histone H4 that is important for efficient CENP-ACse4 degradation, likely by facilitating the interaction between Psh1 and CENP-ACse4. ..
- Akiyoshi B, Nelson C, Duggan N, Ceto S, Ranish J, Biggins S. The Mub1/Ubr2 ubiquitin ligase complex regulates the conserved Dsn1 kinetochore protein. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003216 pubmed publisher..We previously developed a method to isolate kinetochore particles via purification of the conserved Dsn1 kinetochore protein...
- Ye Q, Ur S, Su T, Corbett K. Structure of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Hrr25:Mam1 monopolin subcomplex reveals a novel kinase regulator. EMBO J. 2016;35:2139-2151 pubmed..Finally, using purified proteins, we find that Hrr25 phosphorylates the kinetochore receptor for monopolin, Dsn1. Together with our new structural insights into the fully assembled monopolin complex, this finding suggests that ..