Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: DED1
Description: DEAD-box ATP-dependent RNA helicase DED1
Alias: SPP81, DEAD-box ATP-dependent RNA helicase DED1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Beckham C, Hilliker A, Cziko A, Noueiry A, Ramaswami M, Parker R. The DEAD-box RNA helicase Ded1p affects and accumulates in Saccharomyces cerevisiae P-bodies. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:984-93 pubmed..Combined with earlier work showing Ded1p can have a positive effect on translation, these results suggest that Ded1p is a bifunctional protein that can affect both translation initiation and P-body formation. ..
- Jamieson D, Rahe B, Pringle J, Beggs J. A suppressor of a yeast splicing mutation (prp8-1) encodes a putative ATP-dependent RNA helicase. Nature. 1991;349:715-7 pubmed..cerevisiae and present here the preliminary characterization of one of these suppressors, spp81. The predicted amino-acid sequence of the SPP81 protein shows extensive similarity to a recently identified family ..
- Berthelot K, Muldoon M, Rajkowitsch L, Hughes J, McCarthy J. Dynamics and processivity of 40S ribosome scanning on mRNA in yeast. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:987-1001 pubmed..Unexpectedly, the capability to maintain scanning competence on a long 5' UTR is more dependent on the Ded1/Dbp1 type of helicase than on eIF4A or eIF4B...
- Hilliker A, Gao Z, Jankowsky E, Parker R. The DEAD-box protein Ded1 modulates translation by the formation and resolution of an eIF4F-mRNA complex. Mol Cell. 2011;43:962-72 pubmed publisher..The conserved Ded1/DDX3 DEAD-box protein functions in an unknown manner to affect both translation initiation and repression...
- Sen N, Zhou F, Ingolia N, Hinnebusch A. Genome-wide analysis of translational efficiency reveals distinct but overlapping functions of yeast DEAD-box RNA helicases Ded1 and eIF4A. Genome Res. 2015;25:1196-205 pubmed publisherDEAD-box RNA helicases eIF4A and Ded1 are believed to promote translation initiation by resolving mRNA secondary structures that impede ribosome attachment at the mRNA 5' end or subsequent scanning of the 5' UTR, but whether they perform ..
- Bonfils G, Jaquenoud M, Bontron S, Ostrowicz C, Ungermann C, De Virgilio C. Leucyl-tRNA synthetase controls TORC1 via the EGO complex. Mol Cell. 2012;46:105-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, the EGOC-TORC1 signaling module samples, via the LeuRS-intrinsic editing domain, the fidelity of tRNA(Leu) aminoacylation as a proxy for leucine availability. ..
- Lee R, Brunette S, Puente L, Megeney L. Metacaspase Yca1 is required for clearance of insoluble protein aggregates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:13348-53 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that Yca1 contributes to the fitness and adaptability of growing yeast through an aggregate remodeling activity. ..
- Liu F, Putnam A, Jankowsky E. ATP hydrolysis is required for DEAD-box protein recycling but not for duplex unwinding. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20209-14 pubmed publisher..ATP binding, however, appears necessary. ATP hydrolysis is found to be required for fast enzyme release from the RNA and multiple substrate turnovers and thus for enzyme recycling. ..
- Gao Z, Putnam A, Bowers H, Guenther U, Ye X, Kindsfather A, et al. Coupling between the DEAD-box RNA helicases Ded1p and eIF4A. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results reveal and characterize an unexpected interdependence between the two RNA helicases and eIF4G, and suggest that Ded1p is an integral part of eIF4F, the complex comprising eIF4G, eIF4A, and eIF4E. ..
- Putnam A, Gao Z, Liu F, Jia H, Yang Q, Jankowsky E. Division of Labor in an Oligomer of the DEAD-Box RNA Helicase Ded1p. Mol Cell. 2015;59:541-52 pubmed publisher..This mode of oligomerization fundamentally differs from other helicases. Oligomerization represents a previously unappreciated level of regulation for DEAD-box helicase activities. ..
- Sobti M, Cubeddu L, Haynes P, Mabbutt B. Engineered rings of mixed yeast Lsm proteins show differential interactions with translation factors and U-rich RNA. Biochemistry. 2010;49:2335-45 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest Lsm1 and/or Lsm4 can interact with translationally active mRNA. ..
- Gemayel R, Chavali S, Pougach K, Legendre M, Zhu B, Boeynaems S, et al. Variable Glutamine-Rich Repeats Modulate Transcription Factor Activity. Mol Cell. 2015;59:615-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, Q-rich repeats are dynamic functional domains that modulate a regulator's innate function, with the inherent risk of pathogenic repeat expansions. ..
- Hayashi N, Seino H, Irie K, Watanabe M, Clark K, Matsumoto K, et al. Genetic interaction of DED1 encoding a putative ATP-dependent RNA helicase with SRM1 encoding a mammalian RCC1 homolog in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;253:149-56 pubmed..of suppressors of the srm1-1 mutation were isolated as cold-sensitive mutants and one of the mutants, designated ded1-21, was found to be defective in the DED1 gene...
- Honey S, Schneider B, Schieltz D, Yates J, Futcher B. A novel multiple affinity purification tag and its use in identification of proteins associated with a cyclin-CDK complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:E24 pubmed..Associated proteins were identified using mass spectrometry. These included the known associated proteins Cdc28, Sic1 and Cks1. Several other proteins were found including the 70 kDa chaperone, Ssa1. ..
- Wang H, Garí E, Vergés E, Gallego C, Aldea M. Recruitment of Cdc28 by Whi3 restricts nuclear accumulation of the G1 cyclin-Cdk complex to late G1. EMBO J. 2004;23:180-90 pubmed..We propose that Whi3 constitutes a cytoplasmic retention device for Cln3-Cdc28 complexes, thus defining a key G1 event in yeast cells. ..
- Rutter J, Probst B, McKnight S. Coordinate regulation of sugar flux and translation by PAS kinase. Cell. 2002;111:17-28 pubmed..These studies provide evidence of a cell-autonomous signaling system that both controls and connects the balance of fuel consumption/storage to protein synthesis. ..
- Yang Q, Jankowsky E. ATP- and ADP-dependent modulation of RNA unwinding and strand annealing activities by the DEAD-box protein DED1. Biochemistry. 2005;44:13591-601 pubmed..Here, we show in vitro that the DEAD-box protein DED1 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae promotes not only RNA unwinding but also strand annealing, the latter in such a ..
- Kallstrom G, Hedges J, Johnson A. The putative GTPases Nog1p and Lsg1p are required for 60S ribosomal subunit biogenesis and are localized to the nucleus and cytoplasm, respectively. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:4344-55 pubmed..Since Lsg1p is cytoplasmic, its role in nuclear export is likely to be indirect. We suggest that Lsg1p is needed to recycle an export factor(s) that shuttles from the nucleus associated with the nascent 60S subunit. ..
- Hauk G, Bowman G. Formation of a Trimeric Xpo1-Ran[GTP]-Ded1 Exportin Complex Modulates ATPase and Helicase Activities of Ded1. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0131690 pubmed publisherThe DEAD-box RNA helicase Ded1, which is essential in yeast and known as DDX3 in humans, shuttles between the nucleus and cytoplasm and takes part in several basic processes including RNA processing and translation...
- Liu F, Putnam A, Jankowsky E. DEAD-box helicases form nucleotide-dependent, long-lived complexes with RNA. Biochemistry. 2014;53:423-33 pubmed publisher..In the ATP ground state, however, all tested DEAD-box helicases establish a persistent grip on RNA, revealing an inherent capacity of the enzymes to function as potent, ATP-dependent RNA clamps. ..
- Erce M, Abeygunawardena D, Low J, Hart Smith G, Wilkins M. Interactions affected by arginine methylation in the yeast protein-protein interaction network. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2013;12:3184-98 pubmed publisher..Interactions between the yeast hub protein Npl3 and yeast proteins Air2, Ded1, Gbp2, Snp1, and Yra1 were first validated in the absence of methylation...
- Kovalev N, Pogany J, Nagy P. A Co-Opted DEAD-Box RNA helicase enhances tombusvirus plus-strand synthesis. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002537 pubmed publisher..Thus, two small RNA viruses, which do not code for their own helicases, seems to recruit a host RNA helicase to aid their replication in infected cells. ..
- Schäfer T, Strauss D, Petfalski E, Tollervey D, Hurt E. The path from nucleolar 90S to cytoplasmic 40S pre-ribosomes. EMBO J. 2003;22:1370-80 pubmed..Our data provide an initial biochemical map of the pre-40S ribosomal subunit on its path from the nucleolus to the cytoplasm. This pathway involves fewer changes in composition than seen during 60S biogenesis. ..
- Tseng Rogenski S, Chong J, Thomas C, Enomoto S, Berman J, Chang T. Functional conservation of Dhh1p, a cytoplasmic DExD/H-box protein present in large complexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:4995-5002 pubmed..In addition, deletion of dhh1, when placed in conjunction with the mutant dbp5 and ded1 alleles, resulted in a synergistically lethal effect, suggesting that Dhh1p may have a role in mRNA export and ..
- Senissar M, Le Saux A, Belgareh Touzé N, Adam C, Banroques J, Tanner N. The DEAD-box helicase Ded1 from yeast is an mRNP cap-associated protein that shuttles between the cytoplasm and nucleus. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:10005-22 pubmed publisherThe DEAD-box helicase Ded1 is an essential yeast protein that is closely related to mammalian DDX3 and to other DEAD-box proteins involved in developmental and cell cycle regulation...
- Sharma D, Jankowsky E. The Ded1/DDX3 subfamily of DEAD-box RNA helicases. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2014;49:343-60 pubmed publisher..Individual members of this Ded1/DDX3 subfamily perform multiple functions in RNA metabolism in both nucleus and cytoplasm...
- Yang Q, Jankowsky E. The DEAD-box protein Ded1 unwinds RNA duplexes by a mode distinct from translocating helicases. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:981-6 pubmed..Here we show that the DEAD-box RNA helicase Ded1 unwinds duplexes in a different manner. Ded1 uses the single-stranded region to gain access to the duplex...
- Neff C, Sachs A. Eukaryotic translation initiation factors 4G and 4A from Saccharomyces cerevisiae interact physically and functionally. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:5557-64 pubmed..In total, these data indicate that yeast eIF4G and eIF4A physically associate and that this association performs an essential function. ..
- Reineke L, Cao Y, Baus D, Hossain N, Merrick W. Insights into the role of yeast eIF2A in IRES-mediated translation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24492 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that eIF2A acts as a switch to regulate IRES-mediated translation, and eEF1A may be an important mediator of translational activation during ethanol stress. ..
- Bowers H, Maroney P, Fairman M, Kastner B, Luhrmann R, Nilsen T, et al. Discriminatory RNP remodeling by the DEAD-box protein DED1. RNA. 2006;12:903-12 pubmed..We have measured in vitro the disassembly of model RNPs by two distinct DExH/D proteins, DED1 and NPH-II. Both enzymes displace the U1 snRNP from a tightly bound RNA in an active, ATP-dependent fashion...
- Yang Q, Del Campo M, Lambowitz A, Jankowsky E. DEAD-box proteins unwind duplexes by local strand separation. Mol Cell. 2007;28:253-63 pubmed..We propose a three-step mechanism in which DEAD-box proteins unwind duplexes as "local strand separators." This unwinding mode is well-suited for local structural changes in complex RNA or RNP assemblies. ..
- Bolger T, Wente S. Gle1 is a multifunctional DEAD-box protein regulator that modulates Ded1 in translation initiation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:39750-9 pubmed publisher..novel Gle1 role in translation initiation through regulation of a different DEAD-box protein, the initiation factor Ded1. We find that Gle1 physically and genetically interacts with Ded1...
- Rubbi L, Labarre Mariotte S, Chedin S, Thuriaux P. Functional characterization of ABC10alpha, an essential polypeptide shared by all three forms of eukaryotic DNA-dependent RNA polymerases. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:31485-92 pubmed..This interaction is presumably a major rate-limiting step in assembly, since diploid cells containing only one functional gene copy for ABC10alpha have a partial growth defect. ..