Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COX4
Description: cytochrome c oxidase subunit IV
Alias: cytochrome c oxidase subunit IV
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Eytan G, Schatz G. Cytochrome c oxidase from bakers' yeast. V. Arrangement of the subunits in the isolated and membrane-bound enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1975;250:767-74 pubmed..These data suggest that the two largest mitochondrially made subunits are localized in the interior of the enzyme and that they are genuine components of cytochrome c oxidase. ..
- Geier B, Schagger H, Ortwein C, Link T, Hagen W, Brandt U, et al. Kinetic properties and ligand binding of the eleven-subunit cytochrome-c oxidase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated with a novel large-scale purification method. Eur J Biochem. 1995;227:296-302 pubmed..This high content of fast enzyme was also reflected in the characteristics of optical and EPR spectra for cytochrome-c oxidase purified with our method. ..
- Melin J, Kilisch M, Neumann P, Lytovchenko O, Gomkale R, Schendzielorz A, et al. A presequence-binding groove in Tom70 supports import of Mdl1 into mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:1850-9 pubmed publisher..Hence Tom70 contributes to the presequence import pathway by recognition of the targeting signal of the Mdl1 precursor. ..
- Wang X, Zuo X, Kucejova B, Chen X. Reduced cytosolic protein synthesis suppresses mitochondrial degeneration. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1090-7 pubmed..Our finding thus establishes a link between protein homeostasis (proteostasis), cellular bioenergetics and mitochondrial maintenance during ageing. ..
- Taskin A, Kucukkose C, Burger N, Mossmann D, Meisinger C, Vögtle F. The novel mitochondrial matrix protease Ste23 is required for efficient presequence degradation and processing. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:997-1002 pubmed publisher..Ste23 and Cym1 tightly cooperate to ensure the correct functioning of the essential presequence processing machinery. ..
- Deckers M, Balleininger M, Vukotic M, Römpler K, Bareth B, Juris L, et al. Aim24 stabilizes respiratory chain supercomplexes and is required for efficient respiration. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:2985-92 pubmed publisher..Deletion of AIM24 strongly affects activity of the respiratory chain and induces a growth defect on non-fermentable medium. Our data indicate that Aim24 has a function in stabilizing the respiratory chain supercomplexes. ..
- Levchenko M, Wuttke J, Römpler K, Schmidt B, Neifer K, Juris L, et al. Cox26 is a novel stoichiometric subunit of the yeast cytochrome c oxidase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:1624-32 pubmed publisher..Our analyses reveal Cox26 as a novel stoichiometric structural subunit of the cytochrome c oxidase. A loss of Cox26 affects cytochrome c oxidase activity and respirasome organization. ..
- Böttinger L, Guiard B, Oeljeklaus S, Kulawiak B, Zufall N, Wiedemann N, et al. A complex of Cox4 and mitochondrial Hsp70 plays an important role in the assembly of the cytochrome c oxidase. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2609-19 pubmed publisher..The assembly of nuclear-encoded subunits like cytochrome c oxidase subunit 4 (Cox4) into the mature complex is poorly understood. Cox4 is crucial for the stability of complex IV...
- Buttner S, Ruli D, Vögtle F, Galluzzi L, Moitzi B, Eisenberg T, et al. A yeast BH3-only protein mediates the mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis. EMBO J. 2011;30:2779-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, the yeast genome encodes a functional BH3 domain that induces cell death through phylogenetically conserved mechanisms. ..
- Su X, Dowhan W. Translational regulation of nuclear gene COX4 expression by mitochondrial content of phosphatidylglycerol and cardiolipin in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:743-53 pubmedPrevious results indicated that translation of four mitochondrion-encoded genes and one nucleus-encoded gene (COX4) is repressed in mutants (pgs1Delta) of Saccharomyces cerevisiae lacking phosphatidylglycerol and cardiolipin...
- Taanman J, Capaldi R. Purification of yeast cytochrome c oxidase with a subunit composition resembling the mammalian enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:22481-5 pubmed..The enzyme isolated in lauryl maltoside contains these same nine different polypeptides and three others, including homologues of subunits VIa and VIb of the mammalian enzyme. ..
- Maréchal A, Meunier B, Lee D, Orengo C, Rich P. Yeast cytochrome c oxidase: a model system to study mitochondrial forms of the haem-copper oxidase superfamily. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1817:620-8 pubmed publisher..Yeast genetic techniques to enable introduction of mutations into the three core mitochondrially-encoded subunits are reviewed. ..
- Römpler K, Müller T, Juris L, Wissel M, Vukotic M, Hofmann K, et al. Overlapping Role of Respiratory Supercomplex Factor Rcf2 and Its N-terminal Homolog Rcf3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:23769-23778 pubmed..Furthermore, our data suggest an association of all three Rcf proteins with the bc1 complex in the absence of a functional cytochrome c oxidase and identify a supercomplex independent interaction network of the Rcf proteins. ..
- Pareek G, Krishnamoorthy V, D Silva P. Molecular insights revealing interaction of Tim23 and channel subunits of presequence translocase. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4641-59 pubmed publisher..Our model conceptually explains the cooperative function between Tam41 and Pam17 subunits, while the antagonistic activity of Tim21 predominantly determines the bound and free forms of the PAM subcomplex during import. ..
- Leadsham J, Sanders G, Giannaki S, Bastow E, Hutton R, Naeimi W, et al. Loss of cytochrome c oxidase promotes RAS-dependent ROS production from the ER resident NADPH oxidase, Yno1p, in yeast. Cell Metab. 2013;18:279-86 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that dysfunctional mitochondria can serve as a signaling platform to promote the loss of redox homeostasis, ROS accumulation, and accelerate aging in yeast...
- Shingu Vazquez M, Camacho Villasana Y, Sandoval Romero L, Butler C, Fox T, Perez Martinez X. The carboxyl-terminal end of Cox1 is required for feedback assembly regulation of Cox1 synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34382-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel activity of Pet54 required for normal synthesis of Cox1 that is independent of the Cox1 C-terminal end. ..