Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COX3
Description: cytochrome c oxidase subunit 3
Alias: OXI2, cytochrome c oxidase subunit 3
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Perez Martinez X, Butler C, Shingu Vazquez M, Fox T. Dual functions of Mss51 couple synthesis of Cox1 to assembly of cytochrome c oxidase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4371-80 pubmed publisher..Regulation of COX1 mRNA translation by Mss51 seems to be an example of a homeostatic mechanism in which a positive effector of gene expression interacts with the product it regulates in a posttranslational assembly process. ..
- Mick D, Wagner K, van der Laan M, Frazier A, Perschil I, Pawlas M, et al. Shy1 couples Cox1 translational regulation to cytochrome c oxidase assembly. EMBO J. 2007;26:4347-58 pubmed..We suggest that Shy1 links Cox1 translational regulation to complex IV assembly and supercomplex formation. ..
- Horan S, Bourges I, Taanman J, Meunier B. Analysis of COX2 mutants reveals cytochrome oxidase subassemblies in yeast. Biochem J. 2005;390:703-8 pubmed..The identification of these novel cytochrome oxidase subcomplexes should encourage the reexamination of other yeast mutants. ..
- de Zamaroczy M, Bernardi G. The primary structure of the mitochondrial genome of Saccharomyces cerevisiae--a review. Gene. 1986;47:155-77 pubmed
- Meunier B. Site-directed mutations in the mitochondrially encoded subunits I and III of yeast cytochrome oxidase. Biochem J. 2001;354:407-12 pubmed..However, mutations Met-273-->Thr and Ile-280-->Thr were mildly deleterious, decreased cytochrome oxidase activity and slightly perturbed the properties of the binuclear centre. ..
- Hell K, Neupert W, Stuart R. Oxa1p acts as a general membrane insertion machinery for proteins encoded by mitochondrial DNA. EMBO J. 2001;20:1281-8 pubmed..Taken together, we conclude that the Oxa1 complex represents a general membrane protein insertion machinery in the inner membrane of mitochondria. ..
- Williams E, Bsat N, Bonnefoy N, Butler C, Fox T. Alteration of a novel dispensable mitochondrial ribosomal small-subunit protein, Rsm28p, allows translation of defective COX2 mRNAs. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:337-45 pubmed..The rsm28 null mutation also reduced translation of an ARG8m reporter sequence inserted at the COX1, COX2, and COX3 mitochondrial loci...
- Thalenfeld B, Tzagoloff A. Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system. Sequence of the oxi 2 gene of yeast mitochondrial DNA. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:6173-80 pubmed..The orientation of the DS40 mtDNA segment relative to wild type mtDNA indicates that the oxi 2 gene is transcribed from the same DNA strand as the oxi 1 and several other mitochondrial genes. ..
- Garlich J, Strecker V, Wittig I, Stuart R. Mutational Analysis of the QRRQ Motif in the Yeast Hig1 Type 2 Protein Rcf1 Reveals a Regulatory Role for the Cytochrome c Oxidase Complex. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:5216-5226 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the Rcf1/Hig1 proteins play a role in the incorporation and/or remodeling of lipids, in particular cardiolipin, into complex IV and. possibly, other mitochondrial proteins such as ADP/ATP carrier proteins. ..
- Shen H, Walters D, Mueller D. Introduction of the chloroplast redox regulatory region in the yeast ATP synthase impairs cytochrome c oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:32937-43 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the chimeric ATP synthase containing cysteine, but not serine, decreases the expression or assembly of cytochrome c oxidase with little effect on the activity of the ATP synthase. ..
- Horn D, Fontanesi F, Barrientos A. Exploring protein-protein interactions involving newly synthesized mitochondrial DNA-encoded proteins. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;457:125-39 pubmed
- Mayorga J, Camacho Villasana Y, ShingÃº VÃ¡zquez M, GarcÃa Villegas R, Zamudio Ochoa A, GarcÃa Guerrero A, et al. A Novel Function of Pet54 in Regulation of Cox1 Synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9343-55 pubmed publisherCytochrome c oxidase assembly requires the synthesis of the mitochondria-encoded core subunits, Cox1, Cox2, and Cox3. In yeast, Pet54 protein is required to activate translation of the COX3 mRNA and to process the aI5Î² intron on the ..
- Keil M, Bareth B, Woellhaf M, Peleh V, Prestele M, Rehling P, et al. Oxa1-ribosome complexes coordinate the assembly of cytochrome C oxidase in mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:34484-93 pubmed publisher..This points to a role for Oxa1 in the spatial coordination of the ribosome with assembly factors that are critical for enzyme biogenesis. ..
- Fiumera H, Broadley S, Fox T. Translocation of mitochondrially synthesized Cox2 domains from the matrix to the intermembrane space. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4664-73 pubmed..Our data suggest that the C-tail domain is recognized posttranslationally by a specialized translocation apparatus after the N-tail has been translocated by Oxa1. ..
- Taanman J, Capaldi R. Purification of yeast cytochrome c oxidase with a subunit composition resembling the mammalian enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:22481-5 pubmed..The enzyme isolated in lauryl maltoside contains these same nine different polypeptides and three others, including homologues of subunits VIa and VIb of the mammalian enzyme. ..
- Linder P, Slonimski P. An essential yeast protein, encoded by duplicated genes TIF1 and TIF2 and homologous to the mammalian translation initiation factor eIF-4A, can suppress a mitochondrial missense mutation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:2286-90 pubmed..Elevated gene dosage of TIF1 or TIF2 results in the suppression of a missense mutation in the mitochondrial oxi2 gene, which codes for subunit III of cytochrome-c oxidase, although the sequence of the Tif protein indicates its ..
- Shingu Vazquez M, Camacho Villasana Y, Sandoval Romero L, Butler C, Fox T, Perez Martinez X. The carboxyl-terminal end of Cox1 is required for feedback assembly regulation of Cox1 synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34382-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel activity of Pet54 required for normal synthesis of Cox1 that is independent of the Cox1 C-terminal end. ..
- Green Willms N, Fox T, Costanzo M. Functional interactions between yeast mitochondrial ribosomes and mRNA 5' untranslated leaders. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1826-34 pubmed..new nuclear genes that suppress translation defects due to certain alterations in the 5'-UTLs of both the COX2 and COX3 mRNAs, indicating a general function in translational activation...
- Hell K, Herrmann J, Pratje E, Neupert W, Stuart R. Oxa1p, an essential component of the N-tail protein export machinery in mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2250-5 pubmed..Thus, Oxa1p represents a component of a general export machinery of the mitochondrial inner membrane. ..
- Geier B, Schagger H, Ortwein C, Link T, Hagen W, Brandt U, et al. Kinetic properties and ligand binding of the eleven-subunit cytochrome-c oxidase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated with a novel large-scale purification method. Eur J Biochem. 1995;227:296-302 pubmed..This high content of fast enzyme was also reflected in the characteristics of optical and EPR spectra for cytochrome-c oxidase purified with our method. ..
- Su C, McStay G, Tzagoloff A. The Cox3p assembly module of yeast cytochrome oxidase. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:965-76 pubmed publisher..These studies support our proposal that Cox3p and Cox1p are separate assembly modules with unique compositions of ancillary factors and subunits derived from the nuclear genome. ..
- Costanzo M, Fox T. Product of Saccharomyces cerevisiae nuclear gene PET494 activates translation of a specific mitochondrial mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1986;6:3694-703 pubmed..These mutations were rearrangements of the mitochondrial gene oxi2 that encodes coxIII...
- Folley L, Fox T. Site-directed mutagenesis of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial translation initiation codon. Genetics. 1991;129:659-68 pubmed..applicable strategy for gene replacement in yeast mitochondria to mutate the translation initiation codon of the COX3 gene from AUG to AUA...
- Kaspar B, Bifano A, Caprara M. A shared RNA-binding site in the Pet54 protein is required for translational activation and group I intron splicing in yeast mitochondria. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:2958-68 pubmed publisher..example of a dual functioning ('moonlighting') protein: it is required for translational activation of the COX3 mRNA and splicing of the aI5beta group I intron in the COX1 pre-mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria (mt)...